The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
xznsocal
Slot Machine Addict

Fitting it in to tight spots

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker
Default Post Your Draft Board

If you were the GM of the Denver Broncos, considering talent and need, what would your draft board look like. Here's mine:

Rank / Player / Prospect Grade / Position Adjustment / Final Rating / Comment

1. Aaron Curry 97 + 2 = 99 (Ideal SOLB, instant starter, perrennial pro bowl potential)

2. Matthew Stafford 95 + 3 = 98 (Franchise talent and would compete to start right away with pro bowl potential)

3. B.J. Raji 96 + 2 = 98 (At 337 pounds he would fill a gaping hole in the middle of our defense and has some ability to collapse the pocket)

4. Brian Orakpo 96 + 2 = 98 (No doubt about his edge rushing ability, big and strong enough against the run and has athletic ability to develop coverage skills)

5. Tyson Jackson 91 + 5 = 96 (A solid, strong prospect. A safe pick. Fills a huge need.)

6. Knowshon Moreno 93 + 4 = 97 (Pro Bowl potential, instant starter, strong quick runner with great instincts and toughness. Can receive well and is a willing and proven pass blocker.)

7. Mark Sanchez 94 + 2 = 96 (More than adequate physical tools, can make all the throws, a gym rat and fiery leader with polished mechanics and footwork. Would challenge for starting spot early and be a potential franchise quarterback in Mc Daniels' system.)

8. Brian Cushing 90 +5 = 95 (Has overcome past injury issues to play every game the last two years for dominating colegiate defense. An absolute beast on the field with all the measurables. Hard worker who has an intense desire to be the best. A complete LB who can play any of the four positions well.)

9. Clay Matthews 91 + 4 = 95 (Only real question is how he would hold up against the run at the pro level. Covers like a safety and has experience playing DE. Great bloodline.)

10. Rey Maualuga 91 + 3 = 94 (Destructive hitter and playmaker who is very instinctive. Would be a massive upgrade over Andra Davis inside at SILB.)

11. Michael Crabtree 94 Great player but very low need
12. Malcolm Jenkins 94 We need help at safety if he's too slow for CB
13. Everette Brown 93 One dimensional rusher, we already have Elvis for that
14. Chris Wells 93 Not as versatile as Knowshon but would start for us
15. Josh Freeman 93 Not as polished as Sanchez or Stafford but as much upside
16. Peria Jerry 93 I see him playing DE for us rather than at NT
17. Aaron Maybin 93 Another one dimensional rusher. His workout numbers are similar to Tim Crowder's who we already have except Crowder was stronger and Maybin had a better vertical
18. Jason Smith 92 NOT A NEED
19. Vontae Davis 92 Would be higher but questions about coachability and work ethic surround him. Great physical specimin!
20. Ziggy Hood 92 Another possible DE, not a NT.
21. Don Brown 91 Would almost certainly start over our current backs
22. Darius Butler 91 Easily the third best CB
23. Eugene Monroe 91 NOT A NEED
24. Jeremy Maclin 90 NOT A NEED
25. James Laurinitis 90 He would compete with Andra Davis but measurables are only comparable to Spencer Larsen.
26. Louis Delmas 90 Would compete with Barret and Hill right away and replace Dawkins in near future.
27. Le Sean Mc Coy 90 Probably the last RB who would come in and start right away in this draft class
28. Alphonso Smith 90 If he were a little taller he'd probably be the #1 CB but he's not so he's 4th. He still might start over Andre Goodman.)
29. Clint Sintim 90 A solid overall LB with experience in 34 system. Limited experience in man or zone coverage with athletic limitations that might preclude his development as a SOLB. Would probably challenge Andra Davis right away at SILB.)
30. Ron Brace 90 (His overall grade is only 85 but he would fill a HUGE need if we don't get his Eagle teammate)
31. Larry English 89 (Potentially very good edge rusher but another one dimensional LB project)
32. Robert Ayers 89 (Would have a much higher grade for a 43 team as a pass rushing RDE, but a bad fit IMO for a 34 front.)
33. Rashad Johnson 87 (Potential starter at FS)
34. Paul Kruger 87 (Slowish edge rusher with a good motor)
35. Michael Johnson 84 (Freakish athlete. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane)
36 Sean Smith 84 (6'3 214 CB could covert to Safety or challenge Goodman)
37. Patrick Chung 83 (In the box Rover type safety to groom behind Dawkins)
38. Jarron Gilbert 82 (Good potential as a nickle situation RDE or DT)
39. Ricky-Jean Francois 79 (Power base LDE who has not played up to his potential)
40. Connor Barwin 79 (Inexperienced on defense, a real project but with upside. Versatile. Could contribute on kicking teams and goal line / jumbo sets as TE, which is what he was before last Spring.)

You can nitpick my board or step up and post your own

I am confident we will get three players from the 40 I listed as there are many other prospects that are not on my list who will be taken ahead of the last ten on my list.

With some real luck we might be able to get a fourth guy off that list with the 78th pick!

In any case I can't wait for Saturday, it can't come soon enough for any of us I am sure
xznsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Holy hell you did alot of work. Can I just say..........

Round 1(12) Tyson Jackson DE LSU
Round 1(18) Chris Wells RB Ohio State
Round 2(48) Fili Moala DE USC
Round 3(79) Dorrell Scott DT Clemson
Round 3(84) Louis Murphy WR Florida
Round 4(114) Keenan Lewis CB Oregon State
Round 5(149) Andy Kemp OG Wisconsin
Round 6(185) Antonio Appleby ILB Virginia
Round 7(225) Khalif Mitchell DT East Carolina
Round 7(235) Graham Harrell QB Texas Tech
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I put this together fairly quickly....so I am sure I am missing some players.

Keep in mind that on defense, I only really ranked front seven players that I thought would fit in the 3-4 defense for the Broncos. DTs like Peria Jerry and Evander Hood did not make the list, as they simply don't fit the two-gap responsibility we need from a NT. James Laurinaitis is probably more suited to play MLB in the 4-3. I also left off players like Aaron Curry that we have no shot at drafting.

Player List as of 4/23/2009

Round One:

B.J. Raji, NT, Boston College - the more I see of him, the more I think he may be more suited as a one gap DT instead of a two gap NT....but he is talented enough to play either and nowadays teams play hybrid defenses and shift guys around enough to take advantage of their skill set.
Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU - the perfect five-technique defensive end we need for the 3-4.
Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri - I know we need defense, but Maclin is as explosive as diarrhea and the Broncos need a true deep threat for the new offense. He won't last until 12, but we should draft him if he drops.
Chris ‘Beanie’ Wells, RB, Ohio State - My gut instinct tells me that Wells blend of power and speed, with that bad ass stiff arm is a recipe for success in the pro level.
Malcolm Jenkins, S, Ohio State - We need front seven help, but if Jenkins dropped to 18, it would be hard to pass up on stud help in the secondary. He could be that ball-hawking safety we have been looking for since Tyrone Braxton was playing centerfield.
Mark Sanchez, QB, USC - He fits the profile of what McDaniels is looking for in a QB....and I know Kyle Orton is not a long term answer.
Everette Brown, DE/OLB, Florida State - Edge rusher that can get to the QB.
Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia - Would rather have Wells in round one or McCoy in round two, but there is no doubt Moreno will be a good back. Good all around skill set.
Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC - everybody keeps finding things not to like about Maualuga, but I think he will end up being the best of the three USC backers.
Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinnati- Unlimited athletic potential. Will be a great 3-4 OLB when he learns the position.
Clay Matthews, OLB, USC - The USC backers all scare me a little as I know one or two of them will probably bust.
Brian Cushing, ILB, USC - see above comment

Round Two:

LeSean McCoy, RB, Pitt - I really think McCoy is going to be a steal. He might be a 1200 yard back that also catches 60 passes a year.
Ron Brace, DT, Boston College - I doubt he falls to our slot in round two....he probably should have a first round grade. 6'3 334 pounds and solid at the point of attack.
Larry English, DE/OLB, Northern Illinois - Super productive in college with 32.5 sacks and 57 TFL. A few concerns regarding coverage ability dropping back in coverage as a 3-4 OLB
Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan - 4 year starter and a great leader. Will knock you silly. Does not have blazing speed....but has a knack for being around the ball.
William Moore, S, Missouri - Had a great junior year (8 INTs) and a poor senior year, which hurt his stock. Great size and really looks the part.
Rashad Johsnon, S, Alabama - Great ball skills....11 INTs the last 2 years
Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose State - At 6'5 and 288 pounds, many see him as five-technique DE in the 3-4. Had a great senior year. A bit of an athletic freak. Boom/bust type with very high upside
Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest - 21 career INTs. Can really flip his hips. Decent tackler for his size
D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt - Another productive corner with a good second round grade. Good return skills further boost his value
Clint Sintim, ILB, Virginia - Could play inside or outside. I see him being a nice fit inside in the 3-4. Nice size at just under 6'3 and 256 pounds
Donald Brown, RB, UConn - A player on the rise. Gained over 2,000 yards his senior year.

Round Three:

Alex Magee, DE, Purdue - May be a five-technique end in the pros. May also be a productive 4-3 DT
Andre Brown, RB, NC State - Great size/speed combo. I have some concerns with his durability
Patrick Chung, S, Oregon - Great team leader and very tough and physical. Coverage concerns
Derrick Williams, WR, Penn State - I always thought he was underrated at Penn State. Very versatile player.
Lawrence Sidbury, Jr., DE/OLB, Richmond - Great senior year. Long arms and athletic....had four sacks in Richmond's win over Montana in the FCS National Championship game.
Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa - Big physical runner, who had a great senior year with 1850 yards and 20 TDs.

Round Four:

Frantz Joseph, ILB, Florida Atlantic - One of my favorite draft prospects. Watch his performance in the Motor City Bowl and you will see what kind of player he is. Good kid with an interesting story to tell
Jasper Brinkley, ILB South Carolina -
Javon Ringer, RB, Michigan State - Had a great career at Michigan State. Is being undervalued in this draft
Graham Harrell, QB, Texas Tech
Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston State - Former Sooner. Strong arm and very athletic. Is pretty cocky with a bit of an attitude.
Fenuki Tupou, OT/OG, Oregon - Probably projects to OG as a pro
Chris Baker, NT, Hampton -
Keenan Lewis, CB, Oregon State -
Asher Allen, CB, Georgia -
Lee Robinson, OLB, Alcorn State -
Mike Mickens, CB, Cincinnati -

(sorry....getting tired of typing comments)

Round Five:

Nate Davis, QB, Ball State - Underrated prospect. Horrendous last 2 games of season hurt his draft stock. Could be another MAC QB who is a steal
Mike Wallace, WR, Ole Miss - 4.2 speed....a burner who would be a great 5th round pick for the Broncos.
A.Q. Shipley, C, Penn State - Underrated center prospect.
Terrance Taylor, NT, Michigan - Not sure how he will project as a NT in the pros. Had a terrible senior year after a very solid junior year
Everette Pedescleaux, DE, Northern Iowa -
Sammie Lee Hill, NT, Stillman -
DeAngelo Smith, CB, Cincinnati -
Donald Washington, CB, Ohio State -
Greg Toler, CB, St. Paul’s College -

Round Six:

Kory Sheets, RB, Purdue - Another underrated RB.
Gartrell Johnson, RB, Colorado State - Good downhill runner. Poor 40 times. Had some very impressive games.
Curtis Painter, QB, Purdue - Fits the McDaniels profile of a late round prospect
Nick Reed, ILB, Oregon -
Vaughn Martin, NT, Western Ontario - Raw 6-3, 331 athlete with tons of potential.
Myron Pryor, NT, Kentucky -
Ian Johnson, RB, Boise State - No, I will not marry you.
Kenny McKinley, WR, South Carolina -
Louis Vasquez, OG, Texas Tech -
Captain Munnerlyn, CB, South Carolina -

Round Seven:

Kory Sperry, TE, Colorado State -
Phil Trautwein, OT, Florida -
Eron Riley, WR, Duke - Nice size at 6'3 and 200+ pounds. 4.2 speed and had a productive career.
DeAngelo Willingham, S, Tennessee -

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 04-23-2009 at 03:33 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

whew that's a lot of work there partner..

here's my board:

not Mark Sanchez
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xznsocal View Post
If you were the GM of the Denver Broncos, considering talent and need, what would your draft board look like. Here's mine:

Rank / Player / Prospect Grade / Position Adjustment / Final Rating / Comment

1. Aaron Curry 97 + 2 = 99 (Ideal SOLB, instant starter, perrennial pro bowl potential)

2. Matthew Stafford 95 + 3 = 98 (Franchise talent and would compete to start right away with pro bowl potential)

3. B.J. Raji 96 + 2 = 98 (At 337 pounds he would fill a gaping hole in the middle of our defense and has some ability to collapse the pocket)

4. Brian Orakpo 96 + 2 = 98 (No doubt about his edge rushing ability, big and strong enough against the run and has athletic ability to develop coverage skills)

5. Tyson Jackson 91 + 5 = 96 (A solid, strong prospect. A safe pick. Fills a huge need.)

6. Knowshon Moreno 93 + 4 = 97 (Pro Bowl potential, instant starter, strong quick runner with great instincts and toughness. Can receive well and is a willing and proven pass blocker.)

7. Mark Sanchez 94 + 2 = 96 (More than adequate physical tools, can make all the throws, a gym rat and fiery leader with polished mechanics and footwork. Would challenge for starting spot early and be a potential franchise quarterback in Mc Daniels' system.)

8. Brian Cushing 90 +5 = 95 (Has overcome past injury issues to play every game the last two years for dominating colegiate defense. An absolute beast on the field with all the measurables. Hard worker who has an intense desire to be the best. A complete LB who can play any of the four positions well.)

9. Clay Matthews 91 + 4 = 95 (Only real question is how he would hold up against the run at the pro level. Covers like a safety and has experience playing DE. Great bloodline.)

10. Rey Maualuga 91 + 3 = 94 (Destructive hitter and playmaker who is very instinctive. Would be a massive upgrade over Andra Davis inside at SILB.)

11. Michael Crabtree 94 Great player but very low need
12. Malcolm Jenkins 94 We need help at safety if he's too slow for CB
13. Everette Brown 93 One dimensional rusher, we already have Elvis for that
14. Chris Wells 93 Not as versatile as Knowshon but would start for us
15. Josh Freeman 93 Not as polished as Sanchez or Stafford but as much upside
16. Peria Jerry 93 I see him playing DE for us rather than at NT
17. Aaron Maybin 93 Another one dimensional rusher. His workout numbers are similar to Tim Crowder's who we already have except Crowder was stronger and Maybin had a better vertical
18. Jason Smith 92 NOT A NEED
19. Vontae Davis 92 Would be higher but questions about coachability and work ethic surround him. Great physical specimin!
20. Ziggy Hood 92 Another possible DE, not a NT.
21. Don Brown 91 Would almost certainly start over our current backs
22. Darius Butler 91 Easily the third best CB
23. Eugene Monroe 91 NOT A NEED
24. Jeremy Maclin 90 NOT A NEED
25. James Laurinitis 90 He would compete with Andra Davis but measurables are only comparable to Spencer Larsen.
26. Louis Delmas 90 Would compete with Barret and Hill right away and replace Dawkins in near future.
27. Le Sean Mc Coy 90 Probably the last RB who would come in and start right away in this draft class
28. Alphonso Smith 90 If he were a little taller he'd probably be the #1 CB but he's not so he's 4th. He still might start over Andre Goodman.)
29. Clint Sintim 90 A solid overall LB with experience in 34 system. Limited experience in man or zone coverage with athletic limitations that might preclude his development as a SOLB. Would probably challenge Andra Davis right away at SILB.)
30. Ron Brace 90 (His overall grade is only 85 but he would fill a HUGE need if we don't get his Eagle teammate)
31. Larry English 89 (Potentially very good edge rusher but another one dimensional LB project)
32. Robert Ayers 89 (Would have a much higher grade for a 43 team as a pass rushing RDE, but a bad fit IMO for a 34 front.)
33. Rashad Johnson 87 (Potential starter at FS)
34. Paul Kruger 87 (Slowish edge rusher with a good motor)
35. Michael Johnson 84 (Freakish athlete. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane)
36 Sean Smith 84 (6'3 214 CB could covert to Safety or challenge Goodman)
37. Patrick Chung 83 (In the box Rover type safety to groom behind Dawkins)
38. Jarron Gilbert 82 (Good potential as a nickle situation RDE or DT)
39. Ricky-Jean Francois 79 (Power base LDE who has not played up to his potential)
40. Connor Barwin 79 (Inexperienced on defense, a real project but with upside. Versatile. Could contribute on kicking teams and goal line / jumbo sets as TE, which is what he was before last Spring.)

You can nitpick my board or step up and post your own

I am confident we will get three players from the 40 I listed as there are many other prospects that are not on my list who will be taken ahead of the last ten on my list.

With some real luck we might be able to get a fourth guy off that list with the 78th pick!

In any case I can't wait for Saturday, it can't come soon enough for any of us I am sure
GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!
Why dont you post more here?!?!
Lots of good work there, and i agree with most of it.
I dont think DEN should get anywhere near Moreno or wells, but Moreno does belong on the 1st rounder list.

I think CUSHING should be higher, and i gotta tell ya guys i actually think he will go #12. Just the versatility needed to run Nolans "30" he will be a huge upgrade. I'd put Orakpo #8, and Cushing #4.
I also think Maybin will fall into the low 2nd, or high 3rd. Bust factor on him is just HUGE.
I think English should be waaay higher as well. Hes a high motor guy with lots of upside.

This stuff aside, your board is awsome! And you should start posting here more often.
You gonna be here during the draft?
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

If any of you want in....we have a Pick the Broncos Draft Contest going on in this thread:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=79832
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortoh View Post
Holy hell you did alot of work. Can I just say..........

Round 1(18) Chris Wells RB Ohio State
Round 2(48) Fili Moala DE USC
Round 3(79) Dorrell Scott DT Clemson
Round 3(84) Louis Murphy WR Florida
Round 4(114) Keenan Lewis CB Oregon State
Round 5(149) Andy Kemp OG Wisconsin
Round 7(235) Graham Harrell QB Texas Tech
Can we replace Louis Murphy with Eric Wood, C, Louisville?

Lots of win in that Mock... LOTS OF WIN!

Try this one on though:

Round 1(18) Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
Round 2(48) Connor Barwin, ROLB, Cincinnati
Round 3(79) Pat White, QB/WR/PLAYER, WVA
Round 3(84) Dorrell Scott DT Clemson
Round 4(114) Jason Williams, OLB, W. Illinois
Round 5(149) Keenan Lewis CB Oregon State
Round 7(235) Travis McCall, TE, Alabama
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
xznsocal
Slot Machine Addict

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!
Why dont you post more here?!?!
Lots of good work there, and i agree with most of it.
I dont think DEN should get anywhere near Moreno or wells, but Moreno does belong on the 1st rounder list.

I think CUSHING should be higher, and i gotta tell ya guys i actually think he will go #12. Just the versatility needed to run Nolans "30" he will be a huge upgrade. I'd put Orakpo #8, and Cushing #4.
I also think Maybin will fall into the low 2nd, or high 3rd. Bust factor on him is just HUGE.
I think English should be waaay higher as well. Hes a high motor guy with lots of upside.

This stuff aside, your board is awsome! And you should start posting here more often.
You gonna be here during the draft?

Thanks for the kind words socal. I read on this site and on Broncos Forums fairly often, but I try to only post when I have something to add to the conversation, not just to post or "chat".

I've been real busy coaching my son's football team for spring practice so I have less time to post anywhere.

I'm glad to find someone who likes Cushing as much as, maybe even more than, I do! I can't put him ahead of Orakpo because of his injury concerns and Orakpo is significantly bigger and just as athletic. But that's just me.

I agree that on other team's boards English would be higher, but I think we already have four potential WOLB "Joker" rushers in Elvis, Crowder, Moss and Reid. What we need is a complete SOLB who can cover backs and TEs and drop into zone coverage outside of just short area "flat" drops.

That's why I love Cushing and really like Matthews.

I think Orakpo has the athletic ability to play SOLB but is not as ready right now as the USC boys.

If Tyson, BJ and Orakpo (along with both QBs) are gone at 12 I agree with you: TAKE CUSH!!

I also agree with your take on Maybin, he reminds me of Jarvis... ugh.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Can we replace Louis Murphy with Eric Wood, C, Louisville?

Lots of win in that Mock... LOTS OF WIN!

Try this one on though:

Round 1(18) Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
Round 2(48) Connor Barwin, ROLB, Cincinnati
Round 3(79) Pat White, QB/WR/PLAYER, WVA
Round 3(84) Dorrell Scott DT Clemson
Round 4(114) Jason Williams, OLB, W. Illinois
Round 5(149) Keenan Lewis CB Oregon State
Round 7(235) Travis McCall, TE, Alabama
I'm not married to either my #84 or my #235. Would think about making #235 a ST/project pick if we could get Longshore as an udfa.

Would be more then happy with your draft as well.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #10
xznsocal
Slot Machine Addict

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

Please post mock drafts in some other thread.

This thread is meant to be for DRAFT BOARDS for Denver specifically.

TIA

XZN
Old 04-24-2009, 01:10 AM   #11
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

At 12.
Mark Sanchez
BJ Raji
Tyson Jackson
Brian Orakpo
Trade down if all four of those are gone

At 18.
Rey-Rey
Malcolm Jenkins
Beanie Wells
Mathews or Cushing
Vontae Davis

2nd Round
Percy Harvin...if he falls this far
Sean Smith S/DB Utah
A big fat DT...which ever one is there
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:12 AM   #12
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I also like the idea of taking Rhett Bomar in the 5th round if he is there. He was one of the most athletic QB's at the combine and was talented enough to start for the Sooners before screwing up.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:26 AM   #13
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

2009 Draft runs HELLA DEEP at LB! We need to capitalize on this recruiting class and grab a couple of LB's that will make the 3-4 work well!
FIRST ROUND EMPHASIS:
DT / LB / RB:
- AARON CURRY (LB)
- REY MAUALAGA (LB)
- RAJI (DT)
- WELLS (RB)
- MORENO (RB)
- JENKINS (S)
We really need to focus on our mid-round picks also as we could really find some excellent talent for the team. I really like the LB spot this season!!!! It be a sweet year to really shore up our DLine and LB spots. We should also dip into the tweener LBs quickly in the 3rd round for a strong safety and another hard hitting LB. IF WE DO NOTHING MORE THAN FIND 2 FRANCHISE PLAYERS IN THIS SEASONS DRAFT - THE TRADE FOR CUTLER WILL BE WORTH EVERY DIME. It is a tough call, but one we are primed for.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:39 AM   #14
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:

TIA

XZN
Calm down scooter. You started a good thread that is encouraging some brainstorming for who we would pick. Thats a good thing so try not to knock, yeah.

btw, I was curious about one thing with your ratings. You have a positional adjustment. I assume that is based on the position the player plays and whether it is a need for us. For example, DLine would be much higher than WR based on the fact that we need DLine much more than we need Receivers. Is that correct? And, if so why do certain players get a lower grade for the same position? Case in point would be Stafford and Sanchez. Both play QB yet one has a positional adjustment of 3 (Stafford) while the other (Sanchez), an adjustment of 2. How or with what reasoning did you assign those values?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:55 AM   #15
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I put this together fairly quickly....so I am sure I am missing some players.

Keep in mind that on defense, I only really ranked front seven players that I thought would fit in the 3-4 defense for the Broncos. DTs like Peria Jerry and Evander Hood did not make the list, as they simply don't fit the two-gap responsibility we need from a NT. James Laurinaitis is probably more suited to play MLB in the 4-3. I also left off players like Aaron Curry that we have no shot at drafting.

Player List as of 4/23/2009

Round One:

B.J. Raji, NT, Boston College - the more I see of him, the more I think he may be more suited as a one gap DT instead of a two gap NT....but he is talented enough to play either and nowadays teams play hybrid defenses and shift guys around enough to take advantage of their skill set.
Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU - the perfect five-technique defensive end we need for the 3-4.
Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri - I know we need defense, but Maclin is as explosive as diarrhea and the Broncos need a true deep threat for the new offense. He won't last until 12, but we should draft him if he drops.
Chris ‘Beanie’ Wells, RB, Ohio State - My gut instinct tells me that Wells blend of power and speed, with that bad ass stiff arm is a recipe for success in the pro level.
Malcolm Jenkins, S, Ohio State - We need front seven help, but if Jenkins dropped to 18, it would be hard to pass up on stud help in the secondary. He could be that ball-hawking safety we have been looking for since Tyrone Braxton was playing centerfield.
Mark Sanchez, QB, USC - He fits the profile of what McDaniels is looking for in a QB....and I know Kyle Orton is not a long term answer.
Everette Brown, DE/OLB, Florida State - Edge rusher that can get to the QB.
Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia - Would rather have Wells in round one or McCoy in round two, but there is no doubt Moreno will be a good back. Good all around skill set.
Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC - everybody keeps finding things not to like about Maualuga, but I think he will end up being the best of the three USC backers.
Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinnati- Unlimited athletic potential. Will be a great 3-4 OLB when he learns the position.
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]Clay Matthews, OLB, USC -[/COLOR] The USC backers all scare me a little as I know one or two of them will probably bust.
Brian Cushing, ILB, USC - see above comment

Round Two:

LeSean McCoy, RB, Pitt - I really think McCoy is going to be a steal. He might be a 1200 yard back that also catches 60 passes a year.
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]Ron Brace, DT, Boston College[/COLOR] - I doubt he falls to our slot in round two....he probably should have a first round grade. 6'3 334 pounds and solid at the point of attack.
Larry English, DE/OLB, Northern Illinois - Super productive in college with 32.5 sacks and 57 TFL. A few concerns regarding coverage ability dropping back in coverage as a 3-4 OLB
Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan - 4 year starter and a great leader. Will knock you silly. Does not have blazing speed....but has a knack for being around the ball.
William Moore, S, Missouri - Had a great junior year (8 INTs) and a poor senior year, which hurt his stock. Great size and really looks the part.
Rashad Johsnon, S, Alabama - Great ball skills....11 INTs the last 2 years
Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose State - At 6'5 and 288 pounds, many see him as five-technique DE in the 3-4. Had a great senior year. A bit of an athletic freak. Boom/bust type with very high upside
Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest - 21 career INTs. Can really flip his hips. Decent tackler for his size
D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt - Another productive corner with a good second round grade. Good return skills further boost his value
Clint Sintim, ILB, Virginia - Could play inside or outside. I see him being a nice fit inside in the 3-4. Nice size at just under 6'3 and 256 pounds
Donald Brown, RB, UConn - A player on the rise. Gained over 2,000 yards his senior year.

Round Three:

Alex Magee, DE, Purdue - May be a five-technique end in the pros. May also be a productive 4-3 DT
Andre Brown, RB, NC State - Great size/speed combo. I have some concerns with his durability
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]Patrick Chung, S, Oregon [/COLOR]- Great team leader and very tough and physical. Coverage concerns
Derrick Williams, WR, Penn State - I always thought he was underrated at Penn State. Very versatile player.
Lawrence Sidbury, Jr., DE/OLB, Richmond - Great senior year. Long arms and athletic....had four sacks in Richmond's win over Montana in the FCS National Championship game.
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa [/COLOR]- Big physical runner, who had a great senior year with 1850 yards and 20 TDs.

Round Four:

Frantz Joseph, ILB, Florida Atlantic - One of my favorite draft prospects. Watch his performance in the Motor City Bowl and you will see what kind of player he is. Good kid with an interesting story to tell
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]Jasper Brinkley, ILB South Carolina[/COLOR] -
Javon Ringer, RB, Michigan State - Had a great career at Michigan State. Is being undervalued in this draft
Graham Harrell, QB, Texas Tech
Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston State - Former Sooner. Strong arm and very athletic. Is pretty cocky with a bit of an attitude.
Fenuki Tupou, OT/OG, Oregon - Probably projects to OG as a pro
Chris Baker, NT, Hampton -
Keenan Lewis, CB, Oregon State -
Asher Allen, CB, Georgia -
Lee Robinson, OLB, Alcorn State -
Mike Mickens, CB, Cincinnati -

(sorry....getting tired of typing comments)

Round Five:

Nate Davis, QB, Ball State - Underrated prospect. Horrendous last 2 games of season hurt his draft stock. Could be another MAC QB who is a steal
Mike Wallace, WR, Ole Miss - 4.2 speed....a burner who would be a great 5th round pick for the Broncos.
A.Q. Shipley, C, Penn State - Underrated center prospect.
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]Terrance Taylor, NT, Michigan[/COLOR] - Not sure how he will project as a NT in the pros. Had a terrible senior year after a very solid junior year
Everette Pedescleaux, DE, Northern Iowa -
Sammie Lee Hill, NT, Stillman -
DeAngelo Smith, CB, Cincinnati -
Donald Washington, CB, Ohio State -
Greg Toler, CB, St. Paul’s College -

Round Six:

Kory Sheets, RB, Purdue - Another underrated RB.
Gartrell Johnson, RB, Colorado State - Good downhill runner. Poor 40 times. Had some very impressive games.
Curtis Painter, QB, Purdue - Fits the McDaniels profile of a late round prospect
Nick Reed, ILB, Oregon -
Vaughn Martin, NT, Western Ontario - Raw 6-3, 331 athlete with tons of potential.
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"][COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]Myron Pryor, NT, Kentucky[/COLOR][/COLOR] -
Ian Johnson, RB, Boise State - No, I will not marry you.
Kenny McKinley, WR, South Carolina -
Louis Vasquez, OG, Texas Tech -
Captain Munnerlyn, CB, South Carolina -

Round Seven:

Kory Sperry, TE, Colorado State -
Phil Trautwein, OT, Florida -
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"][COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]Eron Riley, WR, Duke[/COLOR][/COLOR] - Nice size at 6'3 and 200+ pounds. 4.2 speed and had a productive career.
DeAngelo Willingham, S, Tennessee -

I think I would add a couple more players but in Orange are the guys I would think strongly about drafting if I were the Bronco's shot caller.

Specifically, Jason Williams from W.Illinois (round 3 or 4), Ziggy Hood from Mizzou (round 1 or 2), and Dorrell Scott from Clemson (4 or 5). Good list though and Beanie Wells and Knowshon Moreno are going to be very tempting in the first, especially if they are there at #18!

I would love to see the Broncos trade down from #18. Get something like #35 and #66 from the Rams for #18. That would open you up to get a guy like Hood, Barwin, Laurinaitis, or Brace #35 and then three picks in the 3rd round to address RB, LB, and QB/C. Something like Greene, Brinkley, White.

I could live with:
BJ Raji
Ziggy Hood
William Moore (#48)
Shonn Greene
Jasper Brinkley
Pat White

Or draft Jason Williams in the 3rd and hope that athletic ability translates to a guy that can really cover from the OLB spot. To me, that is the biggest draw about guys like Cushing and Mathews Jr. from the OLB spot and Laurinaitis from the ILB spot.

Last edited by Broncoman13; 04-24-2009 at 05:57 AM..
Old 04-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #16
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:

TIA

XZN

NO, but you can relax a bit

TIA

Old 04-25-2009, 12:31 AM   #17
xznsocal
Slot Machine Addict

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Calm down scooter. You started a good thread that is encouraging some brainstorming for who we would pick. Thats a good thing so try not to knock, yeah.

btw, I was curious about one thing with your ratings. You have a positional adjustment. I assume that is based on the position the player plays and whether it is a need for us. For example, DLine would be much higher than WR based on the fact that we need DLine much more than we need Receivers. Is that correct? And, if so why do certain players get a lower grade for the same position? Case in point would be Stafford and Sanchez. Both play QB yet one has a positional adjustment of 3 (Stafford) while the other (Sanchez), an adjustment of 2. How or with what reasoning did you assign those values?

Scooter?

No wonder I don't post on this site more .... I thought I went to great lengths to be calm and polite in bumping the thread.

Anyway, thanks for the intelligent question. I felt like some players would be certain starters over competent people we have now. Therefore I gave a higher positional adjustment to Stafford who I feel would start for us immediately than I did to Sanchez who might compete right away but would probably be better served to sit for a year.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:34 AM   #18
xznsocal
Slot Machine Addict

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortoh View Post
NO, but you can relax a bit

TIA

It must have been the TIA, sorry for that. That does sound snotty on review.

I was just trying to keep the thread on topic.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:37 AM   #19
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I think they take Cleo Lemon at #12.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:19 AM   #20
xznsocal
Slot Machine Addict

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I think they take Cleo Lemon at #12.
Do you also go by the name Bill Devaroe?
Old 04-25-2009, 02:15 AM   #21
Popps
It's so easy

Hey C! Hope all is well, buddy. Was just wondering how you were the other day. Bless you and your family, bro.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #22
xznsocal
Slot Machine Addict

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Hey C! Hope all is well, buddy. Was just wondering how you were the other day. Bless you and your family, bro.
Thanks man, check your pm...