The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES
 
PaintballCLE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cleveland, Oh
Posts: 3,200
Default top 10 defense if we draft right? Here is how:

pick 12, we pass on Raji if he is there and draft Rey Maualuga.
pick 18, we take another LB, (Matthews or Cushing)
2nd round (we take our NT Brace)
we trade our (2) 3rd round picks to move back up to the mid second round to select Patrick Chung.


Imagine having Dawkins and Chung at safeties.

DJ, DUM, MAUALUGA, and MATTHEWS/CUSHING at LB

Champ and Goodman? at CB

and Brace and NT........ we would still need some help on the D line, but we would still have some picks to try to get someone.

I think we would have a top 10 defense in one draft if we did that.

comments?
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,000
Default

Some people here need to put down the crack pipe...

If you start a rookie such as brace at NT he will get eaten alive by NFL centers. It's going to take a couple seasons for him to learn how to play this position.

On top of that and you have no one who can play the 5 tech DE... So your going to have the entire right side of the O-Line on your shinny new linebackers.

There is no chance our Defense sniffs the top 10 next year... especially with the draft you just laid out.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES
 
PaintballCLE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cleveland, Oh
Posts: 3,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Some people here need to put down the crack pipe...

If you start a rookie such as brace at NT he will get eaten alive by NFL centers. It's going to take a couple seasons for him to learn how to play this position.

On top of that and you have no one who can play the 5 tech DE... So your going to have the entire right side of the O-Line on your shinny new linebackers.
True, but we did get the NT from SF....he would be a good stop gap for a year.
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I bleed orange and blue View Post
True, but we did get the NT from SF....he would be a good stop gap for a year.
Listen, I'm not trying to be an ass... but we have no one on this team that can play DE in a 3-4. I agree that Fields is a serviceable rotation guy but he can't play every snap. Someone like Brace will get mauled by NFL centers... and without the right pieces on either side of them the problem gets that much worse.

We need to draft 4-5 players for the Dline just to have a chance... IMO.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,847

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I bleed orange and blue View Post
True, but we did get the NT from SF....he would be a good stop gap for a year.
A stop gap? Dude was a 3rd stringer and never started a game in the NFL.

We got a LONG ways to go before we are top 10 material.

The goal for the defense this year should be to create more turnovers than last year.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,795

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I bleed orange and blue View Post
pick 12, we pass on Raji if he is there and draft Rey Maualuga.
pick 18, we take another LB, (Matthews or Cushing)
2nd round (we take our NT Brace)
we trade our (2) 3rd round picks to move back up to the mid second round to select Patrick Chung.


Imagine having Dawkins and Chung at safeties.

DJ, DUM, MAUALUGA, and MATTHEWS/CUSHING at LB

Champ and Goodman? at CB

and Brace and NT........ we would still need some help on the D line, but we would still have some picks to try to get someone.

I think we would have a top 10 defense in one draft if we did that.

comments?

Forget Brace, give me that fine speciman in your avy. That will plug up some holes!
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
CHANGSTER
You are a pizza burn...
 
CHANGSTER's Avatar
 
on the roof of the world's mouth

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SD
Posts: 1,534
Default

If we have a great defensive draft this year I can see us having a top 15 D in 2010 possibly. If we can stay out of the bottom third this year I'd be ecstatic.
CHANGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,030

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

I'd be ecstatic with a top 20 D this year.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES
 
PaintballCLE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cleveland, Oh
Posts: 3,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Forget Brace, give me that fine speciman in your avy. That will plug up some holes!
........ok ill be her agent........let the bidding start at her paying you $50.00 lol
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,795

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I bleed orange and blue View Post
........ok ill be her agent........let the bidding start at her paying you $50.00 lol

Sweet.

Now if you put her on the Oline i might actually be able to get a Punt off now.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 8,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Listen, I'm not trying to be an ass... but we have no one on this team that can play DE in a 3-4. I agree that Fields is a serviceable rotation guy but he can't play every snap. Someone like Brace will get mauled by NFL centers... and without the right pieces on either side of them the problem gets that much worse.

We need to draft 4-5 players for the Dline just to have a chance... IMO.
If we need 4-5 players on DL why are you against moving down? I'd like to add 3 DL in this draft.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #12
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,523
Default

Like someone else said, I would be freakin estatic if we broke into the top 20 this year, and even that is a stretch for me to consider.
That D is a piece of work.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
If we need 4-5 players on DL why are you against moving down? I'd like to add 3 DL in this draft.
'cause I can't get Tyson Jackson if we move off of 12... As for 18, I guess I don't really care if we move back a few. Just don't trade it away for a crapshoot next year.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES
 
PaintballCLE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cleveland, Oh
Posts: 3,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Sweet.

Now if you put her on the Oline i might actually be able to get a Punt off now.
.....yeah in the huddle just tell her the guy on the d line stole her doritos.....just run behind her and youll get the first down.
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I bleed orange and blue View Post
pick 12, we pass on Raji if he is there and draft Rey Maualuga.
pick 18, we take another LB, (Matthews or Cushing)
2nd round (we take our NT Brace)
we trade our (2) 3rd round picks to move back up to the mid second round to select Patrick Chung.


Imagine having Dawkins and Chung at safeties.

DJ, DUM, MAUALUGA, and MATTHEWS/CUSHING at LB

Champ and Goodman? at CB

and Brace and NT........ we would still need some help on the D line, but we would still have some picks to try to get someone.

I think we would have a top 10 defense in one draft if we did that.

comments?
It would be hard without any good 3-4 Dends, or 4-3 dends. Broncos IMO have the biggest needs there. CHange one of of the linebacker picks to a Dend, Like Jackson and Rey Rey, and I think it would be better.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #16
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,147

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Some of this tripe is just beyond belief.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #17
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer
 
Gcver2ver3's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 6,581

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I bleed orange and blue View Post
pick 12, we pass on Raji if he is there and draft Rey Maualuga.
pick 18, we take another LB, (Matthews or Cushing)
2nd round (we take our NT Brace)
we trade our (2) 3rd round picks to move back up to the mid second round to select Patrick Chung.


Imagine having Dawkins and Chung at safeties.

DJ, DUM, MAUALUGA, and MATTHEWS/CUSHING at LB

Champ and Goodman? at CB

and Brace and NT........ we would still need some help on the D line, but we would still have some picks to try to get someone.

I think we would have a top 10 defense in one draft if we did that.

comments?
Raji falling to #12?...and we pass?...

D-line is our biggest need...hopefully Raji or Jackson will be avaialble by the time we piack...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,427

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

We're looking at a two or three year deal at minimum. The sooner everybody accepts that, the better off we'll all be. This draft is strong in good LBs. Hopefully, the Broncos scoop up a couple. Next year, we're in a great position to go after a top of the line NT and some DEs. Or maybe we'll luck out and find that Powell, Thomas, and or Peterson are the real deal in a new D scheme? Meanwhile, pack in some STers and solid backups. Maybe luck out on a RB. Two or three years, folks. Minimum.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #19
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
We're looking at a two or three year deal at minimum. The sooner everybody accepts that, the better off we'll all be. This draft is strong in good LBs. Hopefully, the Broncos scoop up a couple. Next year, we're in a great position to go after a top of the line NT and some DEs. Or maybe we'll luck out and find that Powell, Thomas, and or Peterson are the real deal in a new D scheme? Meanwhile, pack in some STers and solid backups. Maybe luck out on a RB. Two or three years, folks. Minimum.
Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5 in a year. Atlanta from, what, 4-12 to 11-5. To say it takes two-three years minimum is pretty pessimistic and not in line with turnarounds in todays NFL. It is not unreasonable to think we can be a solid team NOW, it just depends on how we draft and McDaniel's program.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #20
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 8,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5 in a year. Atlanta from, what, 4-12 to 11-5. To say it takes two-three years minimum is pretty pessimistic and not in line with turnarounds in todays NFL. It is not unreasonable to think we can be a solid team NOW, it just depends on how we draft and McDaniel's program.
I think we have too many issues on D to expect that quick of a turnaround. Finding DL that can come in right away and take over is tough.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #21
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,154

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5 in a year. Atlanta from, what, 4-12 to 11-5. To say it takes two-three years minimum is pretty pessimistic and not in line with turnarounds in todays NFL. It is not unreasonable to think we can be a solid team NOW, it just depends on how we draft and McDaniel's program.
Check those schedules
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #22
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer
 
Gcver2ver3's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 6,581

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
We're looking at a two or three year deal at minimum. The sooner everybody accepts that, the better off we'll all be. This draft is strong in good LBs. Hopefully, the Broncos scoop up a couple. Next year, we're in a great position to go after a top of the line NT and some DEs. Or maybe we'll luck out and find that Powell, Thomas, and or Peterson are the real deal in a new D scheme? Meanwhile, pack in some STers and solid backups. Maybe luck out on a RB. Two or three years, folks. Minimum.
this is a win-now league...

teams don't look to do these 2 to 3 yr projects like back in the day...

McD's goal is to win now...whether it happens or not is up for debate...

but i've seen big turna arounds by teams every year, and we were 8-8 last year not 2-14, so let's not act like we automatically suck because we traded Cutler...

and as for the tough schedule angle everyone takes...let's just wait and see, because for every cinderella team that emerges each year is a top notch team turned garbage...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 PM   #23
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 8,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
this is a win-now league...

teams don't look to do these 2 to 3 yr projects like back in the day...

McD's goal is to win now...whether it happens or not is up for debate...

but i've seen big turna arounds by teams every year, and we were 8-8 last year not 2-14, so let's not act like we automatically suck because we traded Cutler...

and as for the tough schedule angle everyone takes...let's just wait and see, because for every cinderella team that emerges each year is a top notch team turned garbage...
When your owner fires a HOF coach and states we are a long ways from a contender tells me he expects 2 offseasons at least to see drastic results win now league or not.

I would hope McD would say we will win now even if the reality we might not.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 04-22-2009 at 09:35 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,452

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
Raji falling to #12?...and we pass?...

D-line is our biggest need...hopefully Raji or Jackson will be avaialble by the time we piack...
yeah i quit reading the initial post after that.

so the best DL prospect in this draft falls into our laps, and us being a team desperately in need of DL players, but we decide to pass on that for a guy who doesn't even seem like he will be the best of the USC linebackers drafted.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #25
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES
 
PaintballCLE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cleveland, Oh
Posts: 3,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
yeah i quit reading the initial post after that.

so the best DL prospect in this draft falls into our laps, and us being a team desperately in need of DL players, but we decide to pass on that for a guy who doesn't even seem like he will be the best of the USC linebackers drafted.
so you wouldn't "settle" for the second best NT, along with 2 of the 3 (Curry) best LB's and the Top safety......your nuts.
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:39 AM.


Denver Broncos