The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Teams' defensive schemes shape their draft decisions

This is a very solid article on what should be happening with the defensive talent on the board come draft day. Remember, Overall draft grade provides a guideline to where a player might be drafted the soonest by a team. The scheme specific grades are where some "draft analysts" call a pick a reach or a steal. Low supply, heavily needed scheme players are often the ones who get reaches (Jarvis Moss DE and Marcus Thomas DT), while High supply non scheme differentiated players often fall into the steal category. Here is the article:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...rock042109.htm

The NFL will have 10 new head coaches at the beginning of next season and more than twice as many new defensive coordinators, with nearly half of the league employing elements of the 3-4 defense. For some teams such as Baltimore, Arizona, Tennessee and San Diego, continuity was sought, and new coordinator hires came from within. In other cities, such as Dallas, Jacksonville and Chicago, the head coach has taken control of the defense to maximize its execution. But for most, fairly radical changes in approach can be expected.

The following is a team-by-team look at defensive philosophy shifts and how they can be expected to influence decisions on Draft Day. Teams making changes in schemes are marked with an asterisk.

Denver Broncos*
Mike Nolan is expected to flop in and out of even and odd fronts to maximize his personnel, with the Broncos not currently featuring the big bodies needed on the line to easily run a “30” front. They will need to make the front seven a major focus in this year’s draft if Nolan is going to flexibly be able to shift between fronts. The secondary was completely revamped in free agency with the additions of Brian Dawkins, Renaldo Hill and André Goodman opposite Champ Bailey, which should allow Nolan to be very aggressive blitzing. However, D.J. Williams does not have enough length to rush the passer, and a rush linebacker is still desired along with a more stout nose tackle than free-agent addition Ronnie Fields.

The rest of the teams, if you care, are in the link!
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

how is marcus thomas a reach in the 4th round?
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Nice find
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

That take leads me to believe that Rey and Matthews would have prominent spots on Nolan's draft board.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
That take leads me to believe that Rey and Matthews would have prominent spots on Nolan's draft board.
DING! Winner! Or Cushing. He played DE, SAM and ILB at USC. Just sayin..
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
how is marcus thomas a reach in the 4th round?
They traded up to get him. IF they just selected him, then I would not call it a reach. The reach was to go get him, not where he was selected.

However, a lot of teams let him get that far down the road and NOTHING he has done in DEN looks like they were wrong IMHO. He is just another rotatable DT on film with no sacks at UT in 21 starts. That is not even close to league average.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

BTW, Nolan talks very well in the vernacular about schemes. I would read it just to learn how complex and different NFL schemes are from College.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Makes sense. It's the law of supply and demand at play.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
However, a lot of teams let him get that far down the road and NOTHING he has done in DEN looks like they were wrong IMHO. He is just another rotatable DT on film with no sacks at UT in 21 starts. That is not even close to league average.
I agree. I think a lot of people got excited about him, thinking we got a "steal", and believe he's something that he's not. He's never done anything to impress me all that much. I'd use words like "serviceable" and "pedestrian" to describe him at this point.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote