The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
DrFate
Lord of Order

Default Schein's Nine: Don't blow it in draft

Good read:

When you think about it, it really isn't rocket science.

You take the best player on the board who fits your coaching staff and an area of need.
But yet, every single year we see goofy picks and questionable moves.

For our draft week SCHEIN 9, we offer friendly reminders to NFL teams — do not blow it.

1. The Lions shouldn't take Matthew Stafford.

Frankly, this is easy. He shouldn't even be in consideration. Detroit has too many needs at 0-16. A strong armed quarterback does not eradicate the worst season in the history of professional sports. In fact, with the money you pay the No. 1 overall pick, it can cripple you for years to come.

Stafford is an underclassmen who forced the ball a bit too much to be considered the guy. Heck, he isn't the top quarterback on some draft boards of good teams. Stafford is not ready to play. He'll be the $35 million signing bonus baby holding a clipboard or getting killed by a poor offensive line.

This pick would be a major overreaction to the Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco craze. Let's slow down here. Ryan and Flacco were special fifth year seniors. Stafford skipped his final college season. (click link to read the rest)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...ow-it-in-draft
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
socalorado
Ring of Famer

This part of it is interesting.

Pick Pat White in round two or Brian Hoyer early on Sunday

I'll say it again -- White is going to be a great NFL player. He's the only quarterback in NCAA history to start and win four bowl games. White's the NCAA all-time leading rusher at quarterback. And he's a winner. White is open to playing receiver in addition to quarterback at the NFL level. Draft him in the second round and look smart. Don't wait too long on Hoyer Sunday morning. He is a tough as nails leader who smartly guided Michigan State. Don't get consumed by the nine touchdowns his senior season. His receivers dropped 78 passes last year. Hoyer told us this week on Sirius NFL Radio that New England, Carolina, Cleveland, Dallas and Denver have expressed interest. The Carolina situation is most interesting, with Jake Delhomme likely having one or two years left. That would be a value pick.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

finally, someone who has an idea of what Denver needs
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
This part of it is interesting.

Pick Pat White in round two or Brian Hoyer early on Sunday

I'll say it again -- White is going to be a great NFL player. He's the only quarterback in NCAA history to start and win four bowl games. White's the NCAA all-time leading rusher at quarterback. And he's a winner. White is open to playing receiver in addition to quarterback at the NFL level. Draft him in the second round and look smart. Don't wait too long on Hoyer Sunday morning. He is a tough as nails leader who smartly guided Michigan State. Don't get consumed by the nine touchdowns his senior season. His receivers dropped 78 passes last year. Hoyer told us this week on Sirius NFL Radio that New England, Carolina, Cleveland, Dallas and Denver have expressed interest. The Carolina situation is most interesting, with Jake Delhomme likely having one or two years left. That would be a value pick.

I actually thought we had interest in Pat White
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

He's one of the smarter talking heads out there.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
I actually thought we had interest in Pat White
White to me was always a guy i thought fit into the Young mold, but the more i watched him last year, the more i think he brings alot more to the table.
He has a better arm than he is given credit for. Showed it at the combine.
But heres what i really like about him.
Hes a gamer! Hes a guy who will do anything for the team to win!
He'll play anywhere and just wants a chance!
He'll work harder to get better.
He has a great attitude.
Guys like this make teams that pass on him PAY for it down the road.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

5. Denver needs two defensive studs in the first round

The Broncos defense ranked 29th in the league last year. New defensive coordinator Mike Nolan instantly makes the team better on that front. But they need new players.

Under no circumstance should the Broncos deal up for a Jay Cutler replacement. The Broncos have a golden opportunity to draft a couple of impact starters. Think about Brian Orakpo or Tyson Jackson at defensive end or outside linebacker. There's a chance B.J. Raji could be there at No. 12. Cornerback Malcolm Jenkins must be under consideration. Linebackers Brian Cushing, Ray Maualuga, James Laurinaitis, and Clay Matthews should be heavily in the mix.

The Cutler deal was awful. But Josh McDaniels can help his team with two defensive players. Don't blow it.

Good take.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesBronco View Post
He's one of the smarter talking heads out there.

He lost me the minute he indirectly called Tebow a QB stud.....
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote