The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,538

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default My seven round mock and post draft depth chart

1a) Jenkins
1b) Rey
2) Moore/Delmas
3a) Senderrick Marks, 3-4 DE
3b) Terrance Taylor, 3-4 NT
4) Curtis Painter, QB
5) AQ Shipley, IOL
6) Samme Lee Hill, 3-4 NT develop
7a) Maurice Evans, DE or OLB project
7b) Sokoda, Gano, McAfee in that order for K


DE- Marcus Thomas, Carlton Powell
NT- Terrance Taylor, Ron Fields, Sammie Lee Hill
DE- Senderrick Marks, Kenny Peterson
RushOLB- Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis (if not traded), Crowder (if not traded), Maurice Evans
ILB- Andra Davis, Wesley Woodyard
ILB- Rey Mauluga, Spencer Larsen
OLB- DJ Williams, Darrell Reid, Maurice Evans
CB- Champ Bailey, Josh Bell, Jack Williams
S- Brian Dawkins, Barrett
S- Delmas/Moore, scrub Miami FA
CB- Malcom Jenkins, scrub Miami FA


Dissect away
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
ayjackson
Pro Bowler
 
Not so new to the forum

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 699

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I humbly disagree that DJ Williams resembles in any way shape or form, an OLB in our 3-4 defence.

When Reid was signed, I envisioned him as a Jarvis Green type - a down lineman on passing downs. Has there been some mini-camp reports or quotes suggesting that he will be an OLB?
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,538

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayjackson View Post
I humbly disagree that DJ Williams resembles in any way shape or form, an OLB in our 3-4 defence.

When Reid was signed, I envisioned him as a Jarvis Green type - a down lineman on passing downs. Has there been some mini-camp reports or quotes suggesting that he will be an OLB?
No, but to crack the interior, especially after that draft, he'd need to progress at playing in traffic very quickly.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
mellow mood
Rookie
 
mellow mood's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Memphis, Tn
Posts: 99

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

does Goodman get cut?
mellow mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,538

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow mood View Post
does Goodman get cut?
He's listed as one of the "Miami scrub" on the chart
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
mellow mood
Rookie
 
mellow mood's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Memphis, Tn
Posts: 99

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default



i should have figured that out
mellow mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20,445

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

I really do not want to draft 2 db's with our first 2 picks...have we learned nothing from our current d?
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,538

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I really do not want to draft 2 db's with our first 3 picks...have we learned nothing from our current d?
Fixed.

I agree, but it's the value play. Jenkins and Delmas or Moore are all great players, and to be quite honest, I think Marks is the best 3-4 DE and Terrance Taylor the best 3-4 NT prospect in the draft... they just happen to be available later.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Wow, that is way too many risk selections for me. The bolded guys would not be on my board where you took them, if at all. This is waht makes this place great. That is an extremely aggressive draft, mine would be much more on floor than ceiling

1a) Jenkins
1b) Rey
2) Moore/Delmas
3a) Senderrick Marks, 3-4 DE
3b) Terrance Taylor, 3-4 NT
4) Curtis Painter, QB
5) AQ Shipley, IOL
6) Samme Lee Hill, 3-4 NT develop
7a) Maurice Evans, DE or OLB project
7b) Sokoda, Gano, McAfee in that order for K


DE- Marcus Thomas, Carlton Powell
NT- Terrance Taylor, Ron Fields, Sammie Lee Hill
DE- Senderrick Marks, Kenny Peterson
RushOLB- Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis (if not traded), Crowder (if not traded), Maurice Evans
ILB- Andra Davis, Wesley Woodyard
ILB- Rey Mauluga, Spencer Larsen
OLB- DJ Williams, Darrell Reid, Maurice Evans
CB- Champ Bailey, Josh Bell, Jack Williams
S- Brian Dawkins, Barrett
S- Delmas/Moore, scrub Miami FA
CB- Malcom Jenkins, scrub Miami FA

I'll get mine here if I can, Got to go now!
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,538

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Marks has his character concerns, but a character defensive end is over-rated. Rey in a 3-4 is a wet dream. What do you have against Moore, Delmas and Taylor?!?!
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,001

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

Kemp>Shipley

Just saying
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,795

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

Here was my latest.

1. Everette Brown DE
1. Clint Sintim LB
2. Ron Brace NT
3. Mike Hamlin SS
3. Asher Allen CB
4. Shawn Nelson TE
5. Mike Wallace WR
6. Ian Johnson RB
7. Stephen Hodge SS
7. Graham Harrell QB
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

It seems like as stretch to just pencil Malcolm Jenkins in as a starting CB in this league. His best comp to me is Antrel Rolle, who moved to FS when he came in the league. I'd think that would be a more likely home for him because its a better talent fit and also we have a shorter deal with a lesser player (Renaldo Hill versus Goodman).

And if that was the case I don't think we need another safety to be added, especially someone like Moore who I like but I'm not sure is a significantly better developmental prospect to slot in behind Dawkins than Josh Barrett.

I'm not sold on Rey Maualuga as being an every down LB and I think thats required to make him a good first round pick, but at #18 it does get hard to pass up his potential. Nolan has done some impressive things with LBs in his career so ultimately I'm hoping we defer to his call on guys like Maualuga and Laurinaitis.

Senderick Marks doesn't strike me as a good choice for the 3-4 DE. I like his skill set as a 4-3 UT but question his mental makeup and it'd be a completely different role for him than what he was used to in college. He's kinda short for the role and doesn't play with a ton of power in the running game from what little I've seen of him. Using our first 3rd round pick on him seems like an aweful big reach when guys like Zach Potter, Will Johnson, Rulon Davis, etc. profile just as well as 5-techs and could be had from rounds 5 and back.

I think Terrance Taylor would be a worthwhile NT prospect but I don't think the gap between him and a Sammie Lee Hill (like that pick a lot), Terrence Knighton, Dorrell Scott, etc. is worth taking him so much earlier than where those guys will probably go.

I like Painter and Shipley, the last two I'm no super familiar with but later round guys all come down to what you think you can mold into a solid system player, so hard to judge.

I generally agree with Med in that I'm hoping this is a much safer draft than what you've outlined. We've got a lot of big holes and I'd rather we walk away with two solid starters and a couple good role players than one stud and a handful of busts.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Marks has his character concerns, but a character defensive end is over-rated. Rey in a 3-4 is a wet dream. What do you have against Moore, Delmas and Taylor?!?!
Consistency issues with all of them. Those guys all got my "needs to try harder every play" designation which always drops them down my board. It's the reason Dorrell Scott is not going in the first round this year, he struggled mightily last year but was a Top 15 DT talent wise in Soph and junior years.

Motivation is my major character driving point. Is it internal or external. These guys all have that external grade which scares me off a round or so from their overall talent grade. All of them are good players when they try, except maybe Delmas who I just do not believe has the hip fluidity to be selected that high at safety. I just do not want to draft guys who have to be motivated to play at this level. It hardly ever works.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,538

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Consistency issues with all of them. Those guys all got my "needs to try harder every play" designation which always drops them down my board. It's the reason Dorrell Scott is not going in the first round this year, he struggled mightily last year but was a Top 15 DT talent wise in Soph and junior years.

Motivation is my major character driving point. Is it internal or external. These guys all have that external grade which scares me off a round or so from their overall talent grade. All of them are good players when they try, except maybe Delmas who I just do not believe has the hip fluidity to be selected that high at safety. I just do not want to draft guys who have to be motivated to play at this level. It hardly ever works.
You had to have dropped them a lot more than a round from their talent grade!

Marks, without character issues, is first round talent without question. He's a better version of the same situation Marcus Thomas found himself in.

Terrance Taylor (and Dorrell Scott for that matter), have "effort issues" because of the attention they're receiving from opposing teams, and the sheer volume of play time they're getting. Re-watch both of them with that in mind and when you factor in a rotation at the NFL level, both can be extremely good players, but I'd keep Scott as a 4-3 nose, or a 3-4 end for running downs while he develops.

Fairly legitimate gripe against Delmas, but I don't see it at the level of detriment you do.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #16
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,044

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Wet Blanket alert ...
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
You had to have dropped them a lot more than a round from their talent grade!

Marks, without character issues, is first round talent without question. He's a better version of the same situation Marcus Thomas found himself in.

Terrance Taylor (and Dorrell Scott for that matter), have "effort issues" because of the attention they're receiving from opposing teams, and the sheer volume of play time they're getting. Re-watch both of them with that in mind and when you factor in a rotation at the NFL level, both can be extremely good players, but I'd keep Scott as a 4-3 nose, or a 3-4 end for running downs while he develops.

Fairly legitimate gripe against Delmas, but I don't see it at the level of detriment you do.
Marks looked much better when Sims and he were playing together last year. Yes, he has first round talent when the light is on, but it is all too often OFF when I watch him play. Then, add the Character concerns. That is why he grades lower for me. It's the combination of on-field and then off-field.

Taylor and Scott had issues dealing with coaching changes, dealing with Double teams, overuse due to injuries at the positions around them, and then the consistency issues. It affected their overall play this year and their consistency suffered when they should have been peaking. Some of it is timing, and some of it was how those changes affected their attitudes. I think both will be solid NFL players in a rotation like you said, but what is that really worth and will they fight when you need to have a play? I think Scott will, still up in the air over Taylor who I have not looked at in awhile.

I am one of the rare guys who just does not see Delmas being the player everyone thinks he already is. I also think he will not translate half of what he did in college to the pros. That's just me, but I also loved Josh Gattis a few years ago for the exact opposite reason
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #18
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,873

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
1a) Jenkins YAY
1b) Rey Booo
2) Moore/Delmas Yay
3a) Senderrick Marks, 3-4 DE Yay
3b) Terrance Taylor, 3-4 NT Probably won't be there.
4) Curtis Painter, QB Boo-yeah!
5) AQ Shipley, IOL Meh
6) Samme Lee Hill, 3-4 NT develop Yay
7a) Maurice Evans, DE or OLB project Meh
7b) Sokoda, Gano, McAfee in that order for K Why not?
I could totally do this draft. Everyone knows my opinion on Rey-Rey, but I could live with that if we got the rest of the crew.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #19
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,795

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I could totally do this draft. Everyone knows my opinion on Rey-Rey, but I could live with that if we got the rest of the crew.

You have a man crush on Rey, admit it.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #20
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20,445

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I could totally do this draft. Everyone knows my opinion on Rey-Rey, but I could live with that if we got the rest of the crew.
What if i told you Rey found some gold plates buried in his backyard!
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #21
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,873

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman
You have a man crush on Rey, admit it.
He is an inspiration. To see someone with a mental handicap go so far reminds us all of how good we can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
What if i told you Rey found some gold plates buried in his backyard!
It's Rey so he probably found a piece of tin foil and assumed it was ruins of an ancient civilization.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #22
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,538

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Marks looked much better when Sims and he were playing together last year. Yes, he has first round talent when the light is on, but it is all too often OFF when I watch him play. Then, add the Character concerns. That is why he grades lower for me. It's the combination of on-field and then off-field.

Taylor and Scott had issues dealing with coaching changes, dealing with Double teams, overuse due to injuries at the positions around them, and then the consistency issues. It affected their overall play this year and their consistency suffered when they should have been peaking. Some of it is timing, and some of it was how those changes affected their attitudes. I think both will be solid NFL players in a rotation like you said, but what is that really worth and will they fight when you need to have a play? I think Scott will, still up in the air over Taylor who I have not looked at in awhile.

I am one of the rare guys who just does not see Delmas being the player everyone thinks he already is. I also think he will not translate half of what he did in college to the pros. That's just me, but I also loved Josh Gattis a few years ago for the exact opposite reason
RE Marks: Auburn's defense as a whole was better in 2007. I don't hold that against him... if he can keep his **** together he'll smash in the NFL.

RE Taylor: Yes, watch him again and try to watch situational context closely. If afterwards you don't think he'll be even pretty significantly better than Dorrell, it'll just be a difference of opinion.

RE Delmas: I do like Moore better, but both can be pretty dynamic, especially after they get their feet wet and can start reacting instead of thinknig.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #23
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
RE Marks: Auburn's defense as a whole was better in 2007. I don't hold that against him... if he can keep his **** together he'll smash in the NFL.

RE Taylor: Yes, watch him again and try to watch situational context closely. If afterwards you don't think he'll be even pretty significantly better than Dorrell, it'll just be a difference of opinion.

RE Delmas: I do like Moore better, but both can be pretty dynamic, especially after they get their feet wet and can start reacting instead of thinknig.
1. Marks is just too risky of a player when there are others to fill a need for me. He crosses my threshhold on Risk/Reward as being much more wasted pick than potential star.

2. Taylor is a one trick pony to me. Strickly a NT and sometimes a good one. Pulled my notes on him and he definitely runs hot and cold even as a junior and sophomore when he was rated much higher. Scott can play UT or NT in a 4-3, DE or NT in a 3-4. He has the type of body that will mold to what he plays. Not too tall, but not short arms either. When they are both on, Scott has more quickness to split double teams and has real pass Rush ability. I think both Anchor against the Double OK, but situationally Taylor is a better Run defender and Scott the better Pass rusher. For me, Scott has the ability to be much more versatile schematically and play by play. He can play multiple DL positions and understands both roles as he played them both for Clemson.

3. Delmas is not the player on tape I keep reading about in scouting reports. Sure he hits, but his coverage is marginal. There is just something off when I watch him play.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #24
UboBronco
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 354
Default

Here is my draft hopes for the first 2 rounds., I will list a few possibilities at each spot, because I actually would not mind getting Sanchez, though I DO NOT want to trade up to do it…But I could live with it

[SIZE=/>[/font]
[/SIZE]

12) Raji, Tyson Jackson, Sanchez
18) Tyson Jackson, James Laurinaitis (the next Gradishar), Larry English, Rey Rey
48) Connor Barwin, Ron Brace, Percy Harvin (if he drops this far)

Later on I would like to see Terrance Tyler, and/or Sammie Hill to help with nose tackle.

I know many will laugh at my choices, but that is what I am hoping for, and we all have our opinions about what hope happens, and what is best for the Broncos.

If Rhett Bomar or Stephen McGee are there in the 4th or later round, I would like to see us take one of them, as you will need at least 3 QB's on the Roster.. Pat White might be an option in the 3rd if McDaniels really did like him.
[/COLOR]

Last edited by UboBronco; 04-22-2009 at 07:50 PM..
UboBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #25
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,462

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
1a) Jenkins
1b) Rey
2) Moore/Delmas
3a) Senderrick Marks, 3-4 DE
3b) Terrance Taylor, 3-4 NT
4) Curtis Painter, QB
5) AQ Shipley, IOL
6) Samme Lee Hill, 3-4 NT develop
7a) Maurice Evans, DE or OLB project
7b) Sokoda, Gano, McAfee in that order for K


DE- Marcus Thomas, Carlton Powell
NT- Terrance Taylor, Ron Fields, Sammie Lee Hill
DE- Senderrick Marks, Kenny Peterson
RushOLB- Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis (if not traded), Crowder (if not traded), Maurice Evans
ILB- Andra Davis, Wesley Woodyard
ILB- Rey Mauluga, Spencer Larsen
OLB- DJ Williams, Darrell Reid, Maurice Evans
CB- Champ Bailey, Josh Bell, Jack Williams
S- Brian Dawkins, Barrett
S- Delmas/Moore, scrub Miami FA
CB- Malcom Jenkins, scrub Miami FA


Dissect away
our 1st 2 rounds can NOT consist of 2 players for the secondary. we need talent in the front 7 and those picks need to be used there, not on the secondary.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Denver Broncos