The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody
Default Need Help: Want to Buy a Laptop

I want one that is really fast and has plenty of memory for music and pictures. Those are my two main concerns. Don't want to drop a ton of money on it, but I don't know anything about processors these days. Any advice is greatly appreciated
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

scroll down to editor's favorites, or search by price if that is your primary criteria and read the reviews.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/?tag=TOCleftColumn.0
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

If you want to deal with the most annoying customer services reps, buy an HP
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I don't want this to sound mean but....

My advice to you is to research them yourself and learn something in the process. Take a few hours and put in the research, select a few products you like, and then solicit advice as to which product to choose from there.

You will be better off in the long run with the knowledge you acquired, instead of having it spoon fed to you here.

That is the problem nowadays, everyone wants instant help to bypass the learning process, which is beneficial in the long term.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

get a mac
BABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Buy a macbook. You will spend a bit more, but it will be a high quality box. You can usually find one cheap on Facebook as well.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
I want one that is really fast and has plenty of memory for music and pictures. Those are my two main concerns. Don't want to drop a ton of money on it, but I don't know anything about processors these days. Any advice is greatly appreciated
You don't need 'memory' to store pictures/music, you need storage (hard drive space). More memory will make the computer perform faster, however.

What you buy is a function of what you want to do on it. If you want to play PC games, you'll need to think about graphics cards and such - and buy a PC. A lot of people will tell you to buy a Mac. You will pay more for the same functionality, but people like them.

If you get a Windows box you might want to keep in mind that Windows 7 is due to release before long. It is (allegedly) an improvement over Vista.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

Thanks for your advice everyone, I will jump into this battle
Old 04-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
BoulderBum
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
You don't need 'memory' to store pictures/music, you need storage (hard drive space). More memory will make the computer perform faster, however.

What you buy is a function of what you want to do on it. If you want to play PC games, you'll need to think about graphics cards and such - and buy a PC. A lot of people will tell you to buy a Mac. You will pay more for the same functionality, but people like them.

If you get a Windows box you might want to keep in mind that Windows 7 is due to release before long. It is (allegedly) an improvement over Vista.
The Windows 7 Beta has been out for a couple months now and (IMO) is an awesome operating system. I was actually one of the few who appreciated Vista, and didn't think it was as bad as advertised, but Windows 7 blows it away.

I used to sell computers in retail, sounds like you are a pretty average user and you should be able to find a pretty good computer that will fit all your needs for under $600. I've found in the past that Dell's small business computers pack a lot of bang for the buck. If you feel the need to see what you buy before you buy it, retail stores (Best Buy, CC [RIP]) often have sales on laptops where they actually lose money on the machine, so you can find decent deals there (higher pressure sales though)
BoulderBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

The more Mb of cache on the CPU the better.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderBum View Post
The Windows 7 Beta has been out for a couple months now and (IMO) is an awesome operating system. I was actually one of the few who appreciated Vista, and didn't think it was as bad as advertised, but Windows 7 blows it away.

I used to sell computers in retail, sounds like you are a pretty average user and you should be able to find a pretty good computer that will fit all your needs for under $600. I've found in the past that Dell's small business computers pack a lot of bang for the buck. If you feel the need to see what you buy before you buy it, retail stores (Best Buy, CC [RIP]) often have sales on laptops where they actually lose money on the machine, so you can find decent deals there (higher pressure sales though)
I bought a Dell Vostro 1500 about a year and a half ago and have been very pleased with it. After their online discounts, it came in at about $600. It has plenty of space for music and pics and is fast on the net. That model has been replaced now (by I think, the 1700?) but it's still around $600. When you're at the Dell site, you do have to look specifically at small business computers.

EDIT: Battery life is nearly 4 hours.

Last edited by bombay; 04-22-2009 at 03:37 PM..
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

if you are just doing pictures and music you don't need anything special. A decent dual core and a hard drive over 200gb should sufice.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #13
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
I want one that is really fast and has plenty of memory for music and pictures.
Memory and Storage are two different things.

Generally memory and CPU will make your machine faster, or rather controls the speed of which your system can operate. There are other limiting factors such as the speed of your system board(formerly known as the mother board)

Storage simply put is your hard drive (HDD) size.

So to properly communcate your needs...you want a machine with good CPU, at least 2 GB of memory, and 100-200 GB of storage space.

CPU's used to have one core. So you'd hear people say I have a 3.0 Ghz processor. The game has changed. You won't see processor companies trying to increase the clock speed (take that to mean a higher GHz). What they are doing is adding more cores. Which is why you hear terms on ads like duel core, quad core, and octacore. You can also have multiple sockets for CPU (processors). You'll most likely being looking at duel core processors. The reason I have explained this is for you not to get bogged down in the processor speed. A 1.8Ghz duel core processor basically has 2 processors each with a speed with 1.8GHz.

Last edited by Garcia Bronco; 04-22-2009 at 12:34 PM..
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderBum View Post
I installed the beta on a Hyper-V VM to play with. Everything I read says it is much better performance wise than Vista. (which was why I mentioned it)

I think 7 is going to finally put Vista out of it's misery, especially if it is as lightweight as I keep reading.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

7 is going to rock. It's everything Vista could have been without the bad things Vista has.

Last edited by Garcia Bronco; 04-22-2009 at 12:40 PM..
Old 04-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #16
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
I installed the beta on a Hyper-V VM to play with. Everything I read says it is much better performance wise than Vista. (which was why I mentioned it)

I think 7 is going to finally put Vista out of it's misery, especially if it is as lightweight as I keep reading.
Why do you say Hyper-V VM. Isn't the hypervisor just embedded ESX?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #17
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...787&email=null
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #18
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

man you guys/girls rock, thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #19
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Why do you say Hyper-V VM. Isn't the hypervisor just embedded ESX?
Hyper-V is the Microsoft 'server' virtualization solution and competes with VMWare (in the server market).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...perv-main.aspx

It is based on Xen, allegedly.

I installed a Win7 virtual machine on my 2008 server.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #20
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABronco View Post
get a mac
Yes, if you want to be cool and spend $2k.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #21
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Hyper-V is the Microsoft 'server' virtualization solution and competes with VMWare (in the server market).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...perv-main.aspx

It is based on Xen, allegedly.

I installed a Win7 virtual machine on my 2008 server.
MS and Xen can't hold a candle to the VMware product. They just don't have the tools that VMware does. MSVM is fine for personal IMO, but I would never use it in an enterprise setting.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #22
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
MS and Xen can't hold a candle to the VMware product. They just don't have the tools that VMware does. MSVM is fine for personal IMO, but I would never use it in an enterprise setting.
I use it every day

Microsoft is catching up from a tools/functionality perspective - the R2 release of Hyper-V supports actually migrating a running VM from one physical server to another (which was one of the big perks that VMWare had that Hyper-V didn't)

The MS product is (essentially) free, which a lot of people like
Old 04-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #23
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yes, if you want to be cool and spend $2k.
Cheapest macbook runs 999...not terrible, but yeah, they can get expensive. I am thinking of getting an air though
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #24
Ray_Lewis'_Victim
Corpse

I've had a macbook for 2 years, and it is a GREAT laptop. I had a PC before, and it got an hour and half battery life. My mac get 4 hours +. Also, OSX seems to have figured out how to make sleep work well, so wakeup time is much faster than I've experienced with windows. If you're used to windows, you'll be confused for a week or 2 about how things work differently on a mac, but once you get the hang, you'll be glad you switched.

To knock off about $150, try to buy one refurbished. I had a little trouble (the first one they gave me was defective), but after that I've had very little trouble.

I can't speak to the latest generation of PC's, but I've only met 2 people who don't like their macs, both of whom are extreme linux zealots.
Ray_Lewis'_Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #25
DrFate
Lord of Order

Normally I'm not a Mac guy. I make a living running Windows (servers).

But, while trying to fix a problem on my personal Dell laptop, I found this. Something to think about...

http://www.cnbc.com//id/30265705?__s...t%7C&par=yahoo