The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Buckhalter Vs. Jordan: Round 1 in Denver

Although the Denver Post reports that former Eagle Correll Buckhalter is the front-runner to be the Broncos' No. 1 running back next season, former Jet, Raider and Patriot LaMont Jordan is also ready to put up his dukes. Jordan likes his chances because he played for coach Josh McDaniels last season in New England.

We think Buckhalter vs. Jordan is more of a backup power back battle. If second-year back Ryan Torain is healthy -- a big if -- he should be the man because of his youth and upside. But Buckhalter and Jordan, with their respective hardnosed running styles, are good complementary backs who provide solid insurance.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Does this really matter? They're going to share carries regardless.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I am really leaning toward grabbing a back in round 1 of the draft this year..

With average Joe at QB, we really need a RB other teams will fear. Buck, Jordan, Arrington, Torain are all not that.

Hillis is a stud and if he gets the chance I hope he gets the spot over any of the other backs.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Although the Denver Post reports that former Eagle Correll Buckhalter is the front-runner to be the Broncos' No. 1 running back next season, former Jet, Raider and Patriot LaMont Jordan is also ready to put up his dukes. Jordan likes his chances because he played for coach Josh McDaniels last season in New England.

We think Buckhalter vs. Jordan is more of a backup power back battle. If second-year back Ryan Torain is healthy -- a big if -- he should be the man because of his youth and upside. But Buckhalter and Jordan, with their respective hardnosed running styles, are good complementary backs who provide solid insurance.
please man give me a break about the Torain crap. such a waste of a 5th round pick.

i am looking at right now the battle to be top dog in the stable of backs as a 3 man race. Hillis, Jordan, and Arrington. and Arrington still recovering from injury is making it a 2 man race. it is inevitable that both Buckhalter and Torain are going to suffer injury, it is just a matter of when, and that leaves only Hillis Jordan Arrington and Young. i don't even expect Young to make it past the 1st round of cuts.

so it will come down to Hillis and Jordan fighting for the starting job, with Arrington being a 3rd down back and return man.

unless we draft a RB, which i think is really a strong possibility on day 1 of the draft.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I'm holding out for Selvin Young ... in 2007 he had some electric games.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

I predict Torain will be the starter game 1 for 10 plays before he goes on IR.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

I really really hope Hillis gets a chance to start. Put him out there and let him run some people over!

Honestly though, I don't think the new coach likes him as a starting running back. I think Hillis will get some playing time, probably just not in the capacity that I'd like to see. I don't have anything to support my assertion, its just a feeling that I have.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #8
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
I really really hope Hillis gets a chance to start. Put him out there and let him run some people over!

Honestly though, I don't think the new coach likes him as a starting running back. I think Hillis will get some playing time, probably just not in the capacity that I'd like to see. I don't have anything to support my assertion, its just a feeling that I have.
Well, McD went on and on about how much he values Hillis' versatility and how much he is looking forward to using him in a lot of different ways, sounds like he fully recognizes what he could do in this system to me. Check out the McD interviews from this past weekend.
Hulamau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 AM   #9
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Well, McD went on and on about how much he values Hillis' versatility and how much he is looking forward to using him in a lot of different ways, sounds like he fully recognizes what he could do in this system to me. Check out the McD interviews from this past weekend.
He acknowledges that. He's not saying McDaniels doesnt value him. He wants him to be a tote the rock guy though.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:23 AM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
He acknowledges that. He's not saying McDaniels doesnt value him. He wants him to be a tote the rock guy though.
it is an interesting situation with Hillis. will he be of more use as a starting feature NFL back getting around 20 carries a game, or as an H-Back. lining up all over the field, getting a few carries, passes out of the backfield, as a TE in the slot.

he excelled in both last season, so it is hard to say in which scenario he is of best use. either way, it is obvious he is a dude we need to get the ball intos hands 15+ times a week.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:34 AM   #11
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
it is an interesting situation with Hillis. will he be of more use as a starting feature NFL back getting around 20 carries a game, or as an H-Back. lining up all over the field, getting a few carries, passes out of the backfield, as a TE in the slot.

he excelled in both last season, so it is hard to say in which scenario he is of best use. either way, it is obvious he is a dude we need to get the ball intos hands 15+ times a week.
Another thing thats kind of interesting is that a day after signing 3 RBs, he fumbled away Cutler. You have to wonder if he would have signed the RBs he did had he known we'd have Orton instead of Cutler. It seems there may be a greater need to run the ball now (there actually was a huge need even before the Cutler fiasco).

Just the fact that Jordan vs Buckhalter is a debate makes me feel like scratching my eyes out...and to think we brought them in as FAs. Good grief.

Last edited by lex; 04-22-2009 at 01:36 AM..
Old 04-22-2009, 05:41 AM   #12
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
You are kidding, right?
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:45 AM   #13
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Arrington, Hillis
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:48 AM   #14
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
I am really leaning toward grabbing a back in round 1 of the draft this year..
We just cannot even consider doing that with our needs on defense. In a league that's moving more and more away from a single, every down backs you can't go that way when you have so many other holes to fill.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:51 AM   #15
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
In 2007, we had Shanny. We were still a run team. Now, we have McDoofus. I imagine we will be a pass team. I doubt any RB is gonna put up large #s in Denver, and esp a guy like Young.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:55 AM   #16
yerner
Ring of Famer

arrington, buckhalter, jordan, young. they all make me want to puke.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
In 2007, we had Shanny. We were still a run team. Now, we have McDoofus. I imagine we will be a pass team.
Who had the better offense last year, Shanny or "McDoofus"? And if you hate and disrespect the new coach so much I implore you to go find another team to root for.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:27 AM   #18
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Buckhalter Vs. Jordan: Round 1 in Denver
not exactly Ali - Frazier but...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #19
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Who had the better offense last year, Shanny or "McDoofus"? And if you hate and disrespect the new coach so much I implore you to go find another team to root for.

Maybe you should just start following the Patriots if youre such a fan of what theyve done.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #20
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

What ever happened to TJ's new rule about posting links?
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #21
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Maybe you should just start following the Patriots if youre such a fan of what theyve done.
How could you not be a fan of what they've done? Do you prefer what the Broncos have done over the last ten years to what they've done? Are you satisfied with mediocrity? Apparently you are.

Thanks but I choose to support the Broncos and their new head coach. I'll at least wait until they play a couple of games before coming up with clever nicknames slamming him.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #22
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

To start the season: Buckhalter Hillis Jordan Young Torain Arrington

Injuries not withstanding End of Season: Hillis Torain Buckhalter Arrington Young Jordan
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #23
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
How could you not be a fan of what they've done?
Im not a big fan of what theyve done. Even in 2007, I told a colleague of mine, who is a Pats fan, that theyve fallen in love with the pass. And, sure enough, that was their undoing. When I look at the 2007 Pats, I see Josh scoring a bunch of points by being pass happy and then getting outdone by Spagnuolo when it mattered most.

Quote:
Do you prefer what the Broncos have done over the last ten years to what they've done? Are you satisfied with mediocrity? Apparently you are.
No. When Shanahan said Slowik would be back, it was justifiable to fire him. But, that aside, I like Shanahans offenses. Their offense doesnt flow through a WR screen. I didnt really like how things evolved over the past five years. Their approach to RB was hubris and it was undermining. I think we were also too pass happy last year but at least we had a talent throwing the ball. But, still, we lost our way and became too pass happy. But with that in mind, Josh has been even more pass happy. The only optimism I have is that he might run the ball like he did last year but hopefully more. But, really, defensive coaches typically like running the ball. Had we hired a defensive coach instead of Josh, we would have likely seen them targeting the defense and also improving the running game, which was what we needed most.

Quote:
Thanks but I choose to support the Broncos and their new head coach. I'll at least wait until they play a couple of games before coming up with clever nicknames slamming him.
It sounds like you like the Patriots more. Ill remind you that we were 5-1 against them with Brady as their QB. Just thought Id point that out. No I dont stand in awe of them. They cheated. Everything they "accomplished" should be viewed as tainted fruit. So, while you may be enraptured with all things Patriots, I like the Broncos but that doesnt mean mindlessly following a Patriot off a cliff and it doesnt mean drinking koolaid. McDaniels has a lot to prove. He gets no blind acceptance and no free passes.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:05 AM   #24
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

The RB situation looks to be a worse situation than we thought. Maybe we draft a RB
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #25
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

how did this thread dissolve into another McDaniels slamming session?

and how did we "waste" a fifth round pick on Torain?? who did you want?? Dennis Dixon??

i mean, you could argue that Tim Hightower would have been nice, but a wasted pick on Torain is a little bit of a stretch at this point
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote