The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default OT: Why do we want respect?

So this off topic, but its offseason so who cares!

Why do we as human beings want respect? What is it about us that wants respect so much?

If someone disrespects you, do you want them to or are you fine with them disrespecting you?

Im curious is all.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Only the insecure care about it. In the business world it is a given, but in everyday life who really cares. Live in a large city and you will see it everyday.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Only the insecure care about it. In the business world it is a given, but in everyday life who really cares. Live in a large city and you will see it everyday.
I wouldn't really agree with that, completely. I understand the sentiment, but I think some people feel that respect in itself is integral to a properly functioning society. (Respect of people, property, laws, etc.)

Respecting people can be as simple as opening a door for someone. I teach my son to always open the door for people, and to always say please, thank you and excuse me. Sounds simple... but in Los Angeles, these basic manners are far from commonplace.

I'm cut off in supermarkets, walking in stores, etc. I can probably count on my hands how many times I've heard "excuse me" in the past year. Yet, any time I impede anyone's way accidentally, I'm always going to pay them the respect of some sort of simple, verbal "pardon me."

So, the aspect of living in a large city may be true... but I'm not talking about crowding onto the L-train in Brooklyn. I'm talking about people in suburban areas of residential LA.

The reality is that people should attempt to respect each other. Yes, I'm the first one to have some fun talking smack about sports on a forum, but that's what these places are for. Real life interactions on a day to day basis should be rooted in a general respect for people. Not that everyone deserves it, but I think it's sort of an innocent until proven guilty type-thing. I'm going to attempt to respect people until they give me a reason not to.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:

I can probably count on my hands how many times I've heard "excuse me" in the past year.
Really? Why are people in LA such jerks?
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I wouldn't really agree with that, completely. I understand the sentiment, but I think some people feel that respect in itself is integral to a properly functioning society. (Respect of people, property, laws, etc.)

Respecting people can be as simple as opening a door for someone. I teach my son to always open the door for people, and to always say please, thank you and excuse me. Sounds simple... but in Los Angeles, these basic manners are far from commonplace.

I'm cut off in supermarkets, walking in stores, etc. I can probably count on my hands how many times I've heard "excuse me" in the past year. Yet, any time I impede anyone's way accidentally, I'm always going to pay them the respect of some sort of simple, verbal "pardon me."

So, the aspect of living in a large city may be true... but I'm not talking about crowding onto the L-train in Brooklyn. I'm talking about people in suburban areas of residential LA.

The reality is that people should attempt to respect each other. Yes, I'm the first one to have some fun talking smack about sports on a forum, but that's what these places are for. Real life interactions on a day to day basis should be rooted in a general respect for people. Not that everyone deserves it, but I think it's sort of an innocent until proven guilty type-thing. I'm going to attempt to respect people until they give me a reason not to.
Rep! Great post brother...110% agree, couldn't have said it better myself!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesBronco View Post
I'm not sure why, and it depends where you are. I work with a bunch of great people. There are a ton of great people here. But, the overall vibe is definitely less respectful than other cities I've lived in. I see people littering almost regularly. I live in a pretty clean, decent area... but I still see people throwing wrappers out their windows, etc.

Not sure what it is... maybe a clash of too many cultures here. Maybe it's too big, so there's no sense of community ownership, etc. Not sure.

Again, there are tons of great people here, but as a rule... drivers suck and people aren't generally respectful.

Lots of upside, otherwise.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Respect for me is big in the work place.

The more I show and others show to me, the happier everyone is and work gets done, just makes me feel better about my ability's.

Other than that it isn't that big of deal, but its nice be liked.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I know that some people just like to be a-holes, but I think at the core, everyone wants to be liked.

Respecting people is a big part of that. As the saying goes, treat others as you want to be treated.

People throwing trash out their windows and on the ground is so annoying to me (I am guilty of this myself). Why cant we just wait to throw it in a garbage can?
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
So this off topic, but its offseason so who cares!

Why do we as human beings want respect? What is it about us that wants respect so much?

If someone disrespects you, do you want them to or are you fine with them disrespecting you?

Im curious is all.
Because we got this ridiculous idea instilled at a very early age that what other people think about us matters.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:10 AM   #10
MrPeepers
Ring of Famer

Remember Darrent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Because we got this ridiculous idea instilled at a very early age that what other people think about us matters.
I really feel 1 hour of alone time would slow down the world enough to bring back some of that courtesy. the world has become awfully fast. people need to slow down.
MrPeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:33 AM   #11
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Shut up ahole..no one axed you
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:27 AM   #12
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Democrats.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I'm not sure that's all together true. Most children's instruction tends to teach the idea of individuality and self-importance more than striving to gain acceptance. I think it's rather the opposite, that human beings have an inborn need to be part of things, on some level... in some way. Peer acceptance (and lack of peer acceptance) tends to be at the root of a lot of our behaviors, like it or not... and I think it's innate more than taught. It think it's at the core of any social animal, which we obviously are.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:49 AM   #14
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I'm not sure that's all together true. Most children's instruction tends to teach the idea of individuality and self-importance more than striving to gain acceptance. I think it's rather the opposite, that human beings have an inborn need to be part of things, on some level... in some way. Peer acceptance (and lack of peer acceptance) tends to be at the root of a lot of our behaviors, like it or not... and I think it's innate more than taught. It think it's at the core of any social animal, which we obviously are.
That's a good point you raise Popps.

A study of a cross section of societies would answer the question of rather the desire to be accepted is a learned behavior or instinctual. I must say I don't know for sure but I observe there are those children that seem to care less about what other kids think and those that are driven by the need to be accepted and liked. In my own case as a youth I was very concerned as to what other people thought of me but later in life it became much less important. Then there is the example of the drunk doing things while drunk that they are mortified about later when they remember what they did, the question is did the alcohol shut off a learned behavior or instinctual behavior mechanism . I would tend to think it is learned behavior that gets short circuited but it is an interesting point you raise.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote