The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



View Poll Results: So, You Wanna Draft a Linebacker? WHO YOU GONNA CUT?
Elvis Dumervil 5 4.59%
D.J. Williams 6 5.50%
Andra Davis 5 4.59%
Darrell Reid 17 15.60%
Jarvis Moss 36 33.03%
Wesley Woodyard 3 2.75%
Spencer Larsen 8 7.34%
Boss Bailey 81 74.31%
Louis Green 84 77.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,124

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default We're OK at Linebacker ... Disagree, then who you gonna cut?

This is a challenge thread ... don't avoid the main question please.

Lots of gusy here are talking Maualuga, Everette Brown, Larry English, Lauranitis, even Cushing, but my take is that we're pretty well set at LB.

Here's the depth chart:

Elvis Dumervil + DJ Williams + Andra Davis + Darrell Reid ... Starters, W to S
Jarvis Moss + Wesley Woodyard + Spencer Larsen + Boss Bailey/Louis Green ... Backups, W to S

That's 8 ... plus Boss Bailey/Louis Green, Tim Crowder and Mario Haggans


So if you want to draft a LB, who you gonna cut? And don't just say "Boss Bailey," that's too easy, too fashionable.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer
 
Gcver2ver3's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 6,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman
Default

Boss Bailey...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Have you thought of draft day trades? STs? Cuts? Spencer, Boss, Jarvis, Green.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,381
Default

cut green and bailey

trade Doom and Moss
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,124

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Have you thought of draft day trades? STs? Cuts? Spencer, Boss, Jarvis, Green.
That's possible .. but it's speculative.

Everybody's voting Green, by REMEMBER: Louis Green is a special teams DEMON! Lonie Paxton can't do it all by himself ... or can he?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer
 
Gcver2ver3's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 6,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman
Default

BroncoBuff i just read your ENTIRE email and realize i did exactly what you didn't want see happen...lol...i didn't read your post initially, just the thread title...i was replying to your thread title...

oops...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

With the exception of andra Davis we have no idea if any of them can play in a 3-4... So I'm prepared to cut any/all of them.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
That's possible .. but it's speculative.

And remember, all: Louis Green is a special teams DEMON, don't forget that.

After all, Lonie Paxton can't do it all by himself ... or can he?
Most of the guys you listed as "decent" LBs were on this team when the Broncos were the fifth worst overall D in the league. "Decent" is debatable.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,409
Default

The height of fashion: Boss Bailey.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
With the exception of andra Davis we have no idea if any of them can play in a 3-4... So I'm prepared to cut any/all of them.
Bingo!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,124

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
BroncoBuff i just read your ENTIRE email and realize i did exactly what you didn't want see happen...lol...i didn't read your post initially, just the thread title...i was replying to your thread title...

oops...
Hahahaha ... people who respond to poll threads before the poll is posted (and there's always one) are GAY!
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,263

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
So I'm prepared to cut any/all of them.
Really everyone should have this mindset. There is no one safe anymore. Every player on that team could be let go - even DJ with his new contract.

Man, if we let go of DJ I am certain SoCal would either fire bomb dove valley or he'd become a Niners fan or something.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,124

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

The Dave ... you really wanna cut Elvis, DJ and WW?

I think lots of you guys' responses here OVERSTATE linebacker's 3-4 specialty skills.

This is still "football" after all, not some different game.

Besides, we'll run hybrids and 4-3 sets quite a lot.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #14
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,124

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Darrell Reid and Elvis Dumervil - at 288 and 260 - might be the largest set of starting OLBs in NFL history.

Prove me wrong!
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Florida_Bronco's Avatar
 
Coming Back Strong in 2014

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 13,871

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter
Default

Louis Green is the only one I don't see making the opening day roster. Boss Bailey is probably safe unless his injury is not healed.

DJ is a Pro Bowl caliber player. He is not going anywhere. Dumervil should excel in Nolan's defense, he is safe. Davis and Reid will be safe too. Woodyard and Larsen should be in heavy rotation.

Moss and Crowder would have to show epic levels of suck to not make the opening day roster. Both are safe.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #16
Shoemaker
A Lurker No More
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 369

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

If there was an "Any/All" option I'd select that.

This is a new defense so basically everybody except for Andra Davis is an unknown quantity. Even Moss and Crowder get to start over.

Therefore 8 linebacker spots are open, and we should have a completely open competition to see who wins the spots. And if we feel a drafted LB would play better than any on our roster, bring 'em in.

While I would prefer to drop Green or Crowder, it all depends on how everybody plays. If DJ or even Woodyard lays an egg and looks terrible, then drop them for guys who outplay them for the spots.
Shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #17
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
The Dave ... you really wanna cut Elvis, DJ and WW?

I think lots of you guys' responses here OVERSTATE linebacker's 3-4 specialty skills.

This is still "football" after all, not some different game.

Besides, we'll run hybrids and 4-3 sets quite a lot.
It doesn't matter what I want (Cutler situation comes to mind)...

The problem is we have absolutely no idea if any of these guys can play effectively in a 3-4... and we know that most of them couldn't play worth a **** in a 4-3 (see 2007 & 2008).

Therefore IMO every person not named Champ could be replaced this weekend.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #18
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 24,999

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
Louis Green is the only one I don't see making the opening day roster. Boss Bailey is probably safe unless his injury is not healed.

DJ is a Pro Bowl caliber player. He is not going anywhere. Dumervil should excel in Nolan's defense, he is safe. Davis and Reid will be safe too. Woodyard and Larsen should be in heavy rotation.

Moss and Crowder would have to show epic levels of suck to not make the opening day roster. Both are safe.
I think they both have the potential to hit epic suck levels.


While I disagree that we are OK at Lb'er I would much rather focus on the dline and youth in the secondary.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #19
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,767

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

Williams, Bailey and Green.... depending on who we were to draft
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #20
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,608

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Really everyone should have this mindset. There is no one safe anymore. Every player on that team could be let go - even DJ with his new contract.

Man, if we let go of DJ I am certain SoCal would either fire bomb dove valley or he'd become a Niners fan or something.
Yeah, and the best part is if we get rid of DJ, we pretty much have to cut him and make him a June 1st cut in order to not eat his cap number this year. Trade is virtually out of the question, but that won't stop the entire board from melting down about how we never get anything in return for our players.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #21
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
cut green and bailey

trade Doom and Moss
Cutting Green and bailey yes.

What would Moss get DEN in a trade?!?!?
Trading a situational 3rd down, 4-3 pass rusher, who cant stay healthy and really has had absolutely no success in any way, shape or form whatsoever for anything of value really isnt gonna happen, unless MCD and Xanders can get another teams GM drunk.
Heres to hoping for a "happy hour" trade on saturday!!!!!
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #22
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN
 
WABronco's Avatar
 
All dat force

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
It doesn't matter what I want (Cutler situation comes to mind)...

The problem is we have absolutely no idea if any of these guys can play effectively in a 3-4... and we know that most of them couldn't play worth a **** in a 4-3 (see 2007 & 2008).

Therefore IMO every person not named Champ could be replaced this weekend.
Thank you.

If you think for one second that they'll pass on, say, Brian Cushing or Everette Brown because they have a LB corps full of left-overs and career special teamers...you're kidding yourself.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #23
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Not sure.

Got any mini camp film showing the LBs playing a 3-4?

Otherwise, we're all p*ssing in the dark.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #24
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,770

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
Boss Bailey...
Boss Bailey
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #25
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,770

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
This is a challenge thread ... don't avoid the main question please.

Lots of gusy here are talking Maualuga, Everette Brown, Larry English, Lauranitis, even Cushing, but my take is that we're pretty well set at LB.

Here's the depth chart:

Elvis Dumervil + DJ Williams + Andra Davis + Darrell Reid ... Starters, W to S
Jarvis Moss + Wesley Woodyard + Spencer Larsen + Boss Bailey/Louis Green ... Backups, W to S

That's 8 ... plus Boss Bailey/Louis Green, Tim Crowder and Mario Haggans


So if you want to draft a LB, who you gonna cut? And don't just say "Boss Bailey," that's too easy, too fashionable.
Hey Broncobuff, I already tried this logic for why we don't need Tyson Jackson at #12, but nobody listened. We have a bunch of 290-300lb guys that would seem to fit the 3-4 DE size. However, this organization has already committed to improving the team at any position.

None of our "guys" have proven they can play 3-4 OLB. And, since Nolan is known for his LB's and this draft has plenty of talented ones, we think it is a "value pick" in the first round.

You have to have Jarvis and Crowder in the questionable category also. We might keep them, but after cutting Bly and trading Cutler, nothing would surprise me here. It's all about improving the team.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:10 AM.


Denver Broncos