The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default What's the smartest BPA in the 1st if no D-linemen is taken?

This might not be the sexy pick...but I think it might be the smart pick:



I've thought through what Little Hoodie says about the Broncos taking the proverbial BPA in this draft. Will he? Debatable...lots of coaches say that but when it comes down to it they try to fill a hole even if they're reaching a bit while still preaching BPA. Let's assume he's serious though, and examine what that really means, because there are exceptions here.

For starters, I think we can limit this discusion to the first round only. Teams will take more risks and reach for players later even if they say they're using the BPA approach, so all of this applies here only to picks 12 and 18. Nobody's going to care if they reach for a guy in the 6th round.

Here are five criteria that I think define the limitations of drafting the BPA for Denver:

1) They won't draft a player who doesn't fit the scheme since he's obviously not the BPA for this team even if he's the most talented on the board. The best example here is Raji, the DT who according to most, is not a true nose tackle in the 3-4 defense. I’m thinking Gerard Warren here. It's unlikely he's there at 12 anyway, probably going at least by #9 to GB, but even if he is, how can they take him if he's not going to play the nose? Doing so would be foolish if you think he doesn't fit your defense. Eliminate him on that basis plus him probably being gone anyway. Also eliminate any OLB or DE who does not fit the mold of the 3-4 defense or any smallish DT not big enough for the NT spot. That means Peria Jerry, who is too small to play NT. He's also 25 years old.

2) They could move up but it won't be for a player whose talent does not warrant it. In the top 10 picks that means Malcolm Jenkins IMO. Yes he's a good cover 6'1", 200 pounder in a weak CB class...he also ran a mediocre 4.55 forty. Sorry...if you're going to get a top 10 contract you better have more jets than that as a cover corner. A lot of teams see him as a safety. If you take a safety in the top 12 he better be a lock for stardom, and Jenkins isn't. He's off the board. I'll freak if they take this guy...especially if they have to trade up.

3) They won't draft anyone in the first round that has to play a different position in the pros if they can avoid it. See Jenkins again on this one because they CAN avoid it. Should we eliminate Tennesee's 6'3" 272 pound DE Robert Ayers on the basis of him having to switch to a 3-4 LB? I don't think so on the basis of his ability, but in this draft that appears to have an abundance of 3-4 OLB types available into the 3rd and 4th round, it doesn’t make sense to force a pick this high for a 3-4 OLB. Brian Orakpo has the size/speed ratio to play either a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB and he’s a physical freak but something about his Texas roots makes me not trust him. If he's there at 12 though they probably have to take him based on talent alone. FSU's Brown and PSU's Maybin are a notch behind size-wise...more tweeners and without quite the same speed. I think they nix Peria Jerry on this basis also. Can he play 3-4 DE instead of inside in a 4-3 defense? Maybe...maybe not...I'd put him alongside Jenkins as a guy they probably don't want to have to tinker with, especially since they have to already do this with Thomas. He's supposedly not that tough against the run so that makes it hard to see him as a potential DE here.

4) They won't draft players with character issues, at least I hope not. I know a lot of people like Rey Rey...but here's my definition of a guy that Little Hoodie considers a character issue; anybody who might be a "me" guy...anybody who might be a flava clown, or too hard headed to understand and accept that it's all about it being McDaniels way or the highway...somebody who is a threat to become contentious in other words. Is he a bad guy? Maybe not...but something about that reporter incident bothers me...it was creepy. But I see some Romo in this guy both the good and the bad. I think he could be all pro or he could be a wack-job. I also dislike the idea of spending a #1 on a guy who might be coming off the field on passing downs. More to the point...I think McDaniels wants guys he doesn't have to fight with. In other words anyone that looks like they might have an ego bigger than Josh's...cross 'em off the list. That takes care of Vontae Davis too.

5) They obviously won't draft a QB, OT, WR or 4-3 OLB. If Little Hoodie actually does pull off some crazy deal and draft Sanchez, I think even his fans on this board will be ready to run this guy out of town. He knows he's committed to Orton/Simms at least for this year, so any QB will be a later round guy. Forget OT of course and scratch all the receivers off the list. None are that great anyway...including Crabtree IMO. I can't possibly see him taking a receiver in round 1, if at all.

Whose left?

These are the guys in no particular order that fit the criteria and are all possible first round picks based on talent, though some will probably slide; Aaron Curry, Brian Orakpo, Tyson Jackson, Brian Cushing, Brandon Pettigrew, Clay Mathews, Knowshon Moreno, Chris Wells, Darius Butler, Donald Brown, Max Unger, Alex Mack, James Laurinaitis

Of those 13, only 3 are likely to be gone; Curry, Orakpo (maybe) and Jackson...if you believe the hype on him. Unless they truly believe that either Jackson or Raji is a true impact player, why force picking a D-line guy if he's not a difference maker? It would be a mistake despite how badly we need those guys. Of the remaining guys...none stand out as being worth the 12th pick. This tells me they're best move is probably moving down with this pick if Raji and Jackson are gone. I'd like to see them move it for a 2nd and maybe a 4th now and a #1 next year. Assuming they might move down to about 21-26 spots to the 33-38 area they could still possibly grab somebody off that list, though only 4 defenders remain, and two of those, Cushing and Mathews…reportedly failed steroid tests.

From what I've seen, Laurinaitis has slipped a bit. Some say he's there in the 2nd round. I don't believe it but who cares anyway? Why risk it? This guy’s won every award you can win for linebackers, he's very solid in pass coverage meaning he'd be an every down ILB for us, and while not the Butkus hitter type that Rey Rey is...he's a solid tackler and he picked off 5 passes last year. Basically he does it all...this kid has some Spielman in him. I'd take Laurinaitis since there are more 3-4 OLB types (English) available later. He'd be a very nice upgrade for us in the middle, a vocal leader and a guy who will play every down. With the extra #2 we could hopefully get Brace for the NT spot and still have another 2 to take a safety or maybe even somebody like Mack if he's still around.

Here's how we could wind up in rounds 1-3...

18- Laurinaitis
33-38- Brace
48- Mack
84- English

3 #1 picks in 2010...then we fill the NT spot with a cheaper, more natural nose guy than Raji, fill two LB spots and pick up a O-line starter for 2010 as well.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

I think you are waaaay overplaying the character concerns on Rey. And he is not a "me" guy at all. He's just a bit wild. The key difference between Laurenitis and Rey is that Rey's strength is against the run. Thats L's weakness. L needs a good line in front of him to protect him. He won't get that here, at least for a while. L's strength is coverage. I don't think that's the Broncos' biggest weakness. Nolan can use many of the pieces he's got in the secondary and with the existing LB core to provide adequate coverage. What he doesn't have is the pieces to create a pass rush and shut down the run. That should be the focus of this draft. Rey suits that to a tee. That's why I say if we can walk away with Tyson, Rey and Chung, we just got a whole lot better against the run and with improving the pass rush.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 8,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
This might not be the sexy pick...but I think it might be the smart pick:



I've thought through what Little Hoodie says about the Broncos taking the proverbial BPA in this draft. Will he? Debatable...lots of coaches say that but when it comes down to it they try to fill a hole even if they're reaching a bit while still preaching BPA. Let's assume he's serious though, and examine what that really means, because there are exceptions here.

For starters, I think we can limit this discusion to the first round only. Teams will take more risks and reach for players later even if they say they're using the BPA approach, so all of this applies here only to picks 12 and 18. Nobody's going to care if they reach for a guy in the 6th round.

Here are five criteria that I think define the limitations of drafting the BPA for Denver:

1) They won't draft a player who doesn't fit the scheme since he's obviously not the BPA for this team even if he's the most talented on the board. The best example here is Raji, the DT who according to most, is not a true nose tackle in the 3-4 defense. I’m thinking Gerard Warren here. It's unlikely he's there at 12 anyway, probably going at least by #9 to GB, but even if he is, how can they take him if he's not going to play the nose? Doing so would be foolish if you think he doesn't fit your defense. Eliminate him on that basis plus him probably being gone anyway. Also eliminate any OLB or DE who does not fit the mold of the 3-4 defense or any smallish DT not big enough for the NT spot. That means Peria Jerry, who is too small to play NT. He's also 25 years old.

2) They could move up but it won't be for a player whose talent does not warrant it. In the top 10 picks that means Malcolm Jenkins IMO. Yes he's a good cover 6'1", 200 pounder in a weak CB class...he also ran a mediocre 4.55 forty. Sorry...if you're going to get a top 10 contract you better have more jets than that as a cover corner. A lot of teams see him as a safety. If you take a safety in the top 12 he better be a lock for stardom, and Jenkins isn't. He's off the board. I'll freak if they take this guy...especially if they have to trade up.

3) They won't draft anyone in the first round that has to play a different position in the pros if they can avoid it. See Jenkins again on this one because they CAN avoid it. Should we eliminate Tennesee's 6'3" 272 pound DE Robert Ayers on the basis of him having to switch to a 3-4 LB? I don't think so on the basis of his ability, but in this draft that appears to have an abundance of 3-4 OLB types available into the 3rd and 4th round, it doesn’t make sense to force a pick this high for a 3-4 OLB. Brian Orakpo has the size/speed ratio to play either a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB and he’s a physical freak but something about his Texas roots makes me not trust him. If he's there at 12 though they probably have to take him based on talent alone. FSU's Brown and PSU's Maybin are a notch behind size-wise...more tweeners and without quite the same speed. I think they nix Peria Jerry on this basis also. Can he play 3-4 DE instead of inside in a 4-3 defense? Maybe...maybe not...I'd put him alongside Jenkins as a guy they probably don't want to have to tinker with, especially since they have to already do this with Thomas. He's supposedly not that tough against the run so that makes it hard to see him as a potential DE here.

4) They won't draft players with character issues, at least I hope not. I know a lot of people like Rey Rey...but here's my definition of a guy that Little Hoodie considers a character issue; anybody who might be a "me" guy...anybody who might be a flava clown, or too hard headed to understand and accept that it's all about it being McDaniels way or the highway...somebody who is a threat to become contentious in other words. Is he a bad guy? Maybe not...but something about that reporter incident bothers me...it was creepy. But I see some Romo in this guy both the good and the bad. I think he could be all pro or he could be a wack-job. I also dislike the idea of spending a #1 on a guy who might be coming off the field on passing downs. More to the point...I think McDaniels wants guys he doesn't have to fight with. In other words anyone that looks like they might have an ego bigger than Josh's...cross 'em off the list. That takes care of Vontae Davis too.

5) They obviously won't draft a QB, OT, WR or 4-3 OLB. If Little Hoodie actually does pull off some crazy deal and draft Sanchez, I think even his fans on this board will be ready to run this guy out of town. He knows he's committed to Orton/Simms at least for this year, so any QB will be a later round guy. Forget OT of course and scratch all the receivers off the list. None are that great anyway...including Crabtree IMO. I can't possibly see him taking a receiver in round 1, if at all.

Whose left?

These are the guys in no particular order that fit the criteria and are all possible first round picks based on talent, though some will probably slide; Aaron Curry, Brian Orakpo, Tyson Jackson, Brian Cushing, Brandon Pettigrew, Clay Mathews, Knowshon Moreno, Chris Wells, Darius Butler, Donald Brown, Max Unger, Alex Mack, James Laurinaitis

Of those 13, only 3 are likely to be gone; Curry, Orakpo (maybe) and Jackson...if you believe the hype on him. Unless they truly believe that either Jackson or Raji is a true impact player, why force picking a D-line guy if he's not a difference maker? It would be a mistake despite how badly we need those guys. Of the remaining guys...none stand out as being worth the 12th pick. This tells me they're best move is probably moving down with this pick if Raji and Jackson are gone. I'd like to see them move it for a 2nd and maybe a 4th now and a #1 next year. Assuming they might move down to about 21-26 spots to the 33-38 area they could still possibly grab somebody off that list, though only 4 defenders remain, and two of those, Cushing and Mathews…reportedly failed steroid tests.

From what I've seen, Laurinaitis has slipped a bit. Some say he's there in the 2nd round. I don't believe it but who cares anyway? Why risk it? This guy’s won every award you can win for linebackers, he's very solid in pass coverage meaning he'd be an every down ILB for us, and while not the Butkus hitter type that Rey Rey is...he's a solid tackler and he picked off 5 passes last year. Basically he does it all...this kid has some Spielman in him. I'd take Laurinaitis since there are more 3-4 OLB types (English) available later. He'd be a very nice upgrade for us in the middle, a vocal leader and a guy who will play every down. With the extra #2 we could hopefully get Brace for the NT spot and still have another 2 to take a safety or maybe even somebody like Mack if he's still around.

Here's how we could wind up in rounds 1-3...

18- Laurinaitis
33-38- Brace
48- Mack
84- English

3 #1 picks in 2010...then we fill the NT spot with a cheaper, more natural nose guy than Raji, fill two LB spots and pick up a O-line starter for 2010 as well.
JL is the type of player Denver HAS ALWAYS drafted in the past. I want a physical nasty player
player that brings emotion and fires up his teammates. If JL is a Bronco I hope for the best with him. I won't jump up and down either.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 04-21-2009 at 11:23 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,807

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I think you are waaaay overplaying the character concerns on Rey. And he is not a "me" guy at all. He's just a bit wild. The key difference between Laurenitis and Rey is that Rey's strength is against the run. Thats L's weakness. L needs a good line in front of him to protect him. He won't get that here, at least for a while. L's strength is coverage. I don't think that's the Broncos' biggest weakness. Nolan can use many of the pieces he's got in the secondary and with the existing LB core to provide adequate coverage. What he doesn't have is the pieces to create a pass rush and shut down the run. That should be the focus of this draft. Rey suits that to a tee. That's why I say if we can walk away with Tyson, Rey and Chung, we just got a whole lot better against the run and with improving the pass rush.
I wouldn't say Laurinaitis' weakness is against the run. He may not play with as much intensity as Maualuga vs the run, but it's not a weakness either. Rey is a more flashy player, but only a two down player at this point. JL starts from day one, is a team captain/vocal leader very early on and stays on the field. Instincts, smarts, leadership, all advantage JL.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I think you are waaaay overplaying the character concerns on Rey. And he is not a "me" guy at all. He's just a bit wild.
Yeah...I hear ya...BUT:

A lot of guys who are "just a bit wild" when they're broke, turn into something else with millions in their pocket. I have an uneasy feeling about the guy...and his thing with the female reporter was just weird. Maybe it's nothing...maybe it's not. In any case...he strikes me as a guy who might have problems with McDaniels for some reason. I have a feeling McHoodie is going to have very little patience with anyone who doesn't ask how high when he says jump. Like I said...I see something of Romo in this guy...I could be wrong.
Quote:
The key difference between Laurenitis and Rey is that Rey's strength is against the run. Thats L's weakness. L needs a good line in front of him to protect him. He won't get that here, at least for a while. L's strength is coverage. I don't think that's the Broncos' biggest weakness.
It might not be their biggest weakness, but if Rey Rey has to leave the field on passing downs, is he worth a #1 pick? What happens if they play the Colts? I just think the OSU kid is a better all around player even if he's not as high profile or flashy.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Yeah...I hear ya...BUT:

A lot of guys who are "just a bit wild" when they're broke, turn into something else with millions in their pocket. I have an uneasy feeling about the guy...and his thing with the female reporter was just weird. Maybe it's nothing...maybe it's not. In any case...he strikes me as a guy who might have problems with McDaniels for some reason. I have a feeling McHoodie is going to have very little patience with anyone who doesn't ask how high when he says jump. Like I said...I see something of Romo in this guy...I could be wrong.

It might not be their biggest weakness, but if Rey Rey has to leave the field on passing downs, is he worth a #1 pick? What happens if they play the Colts? I just think the OSU kid is a better all around player even if he's not as high profile or flashy.

I don't know the exact numbers. I suppose I could look them up. But just from watching games it seemed to me that Rey was pretty good at getting his share of INTs. A lot of that has to do with supplying the pass rush, which has been Denver's biggest issue for years. I really doubt Rey is confined to being just a two down LB.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,124

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Laurinitis is vastly overrated imo ... he really sucked in the BCS game a year ago, that might've been why he returned for his senior year.

If we're going away from D-Line like your premise says, I'll go with his teammate and take Malcolm Jenkins as a free safety. Outside of our D-Line, safety is still the weakest spot on the roster. And Jenkins has great instincts and he can really hit .... I could see Barrett and Jenkins pairing as Broncos safeties for a long time.


Besides, LB is not a REAL position of need here. Just look at the roster, LB is not that bad.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
I wouldn't say Laurinaitis' weakness is against the run. He may not play with as much intensity as Maualuga vs the run, but it's not a weakness either. Rey is a more flashy player, but only a two down player at this point. JL starts from day one, is a team captain/vocal leader very early on and stays on the field. Instincts, smarts, leadership, all advantage JL.
JL has a HUGE problem against the run. All of his tackles are downfield. He gets washed outta way too many plays, and to his credit doesnt give up on the play, but has to assist and track downfield to make a play on the opponent.
JL however will be a very solid WILL in a 4-3 eventually in the NFL. To me just cant play ILB in a 3-4/4-3..
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
telluride
Ring of Famer
 
telluride's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,557

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--
Default

What's with this "Little Hoodie" stuff? Is it supposed to be clever? Or biting? Just seems juvenile, frankly.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I don't know the exact numbers. I suppose I could look them up. But just from watching games it seemed to me that Rey was pretty good at getting his share of INTs. A lot of that has to do with supplying the pass rush, which has been Denver's biggest issue for years. I really doubt Rey is confined to being just a two down LB.
My prediction:

if Rey is drafted by the Broncos, the fans will LOVE this guy. He's a pocket explosion.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
What's with this "Little Hoodie" stuff? Is it supposed to be clever? Or biting? Just seems juvenile, frankly.
welcome to the mane
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,583

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Laurinitis ****ing sucks. All he does is jump on piles.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,124

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Davis, Larsen, DJ, Woodyard, Haggans = 5 ILBs, 4 surefire keepers

Reid, Dumervil, Moss, Green, Boss, Crowder = 6 OLBs, 3 surefire keepers (and Green is a special team ace)

On the other hand, D-Line is empty ... Marcus Thomas has more NFL starts than all the other D-Linemen combined.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #14
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer
 
Gcver2ver3's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 6,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Davis, Larsen, DJ, Woodyard, Haggans = 5 ILBs, 4 surefire keepers

Reid, Dumervil, Moss, Green, Boss, Crowder = 6 OLBs, 3 surefire keepers (and Green is a special team ace)

On the other hand, D-Line is empty ... Marcus Thomas has more NFL starts than all the other D-Linemen combined.
very good observations...

i think we're clearly going D-line this draft...

but i still expect another pass rusher added to the mix...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Davis, Larsen, DJ, Woodyard, Haggans = 5 ILBs, 4 surefire keepers
Reid, Dumervil, Moss, Green, Boss, Crowder = 6 OLBs, 3 surefire keepers (and Green is a special team ace)

On the other hand, D-Line is empty ... Marcus Thomas has more NFL starts than all the other D-Linemen combined.
Yeah, but there aren't a whole lot of sure fire D linemen in this draft. Even Tyson is considered more of a 3/4 DE, two gap, run stuffer type (which is fine by me). There are effort questions about Raji, which is the one question you don't want to have about a NT. Then, there are a bunch who are going to be OLB in a 3/4 led by Brown. The two best D lineman in this draft (to me) are Peria and Ayers, and they're both 4-3 DEs! I suggest we beef up that front three to stop the run later in the draft (Dorrell Scott?) and get the pass rush from the outside. We already have Doom who is a proven pass rusher and could play one of the OLB spots or move up on the line. That leaves getting a pass rusher from the middle. Is there anybody in this draft better at that than Rey?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #16
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 11,209

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

We need DL like Chiefs fans need some sense beaten into them.

Essentially we should come out of day 1 with at least two DL players. If we can't get one at 12, which seems likely, then we have to get players with 18 and 48 or the picks we trade to get.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #17
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,124

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Yeah, but there aren't a whole lot of sure fire D linemen in this draft. Even Tyson is considered more of a 3/4 DE, two gap, run stuffer type (which is fine by me).
Fine by me too ... that's what I think we need most. A stout, run-stopping 3-4 DE. Tyson Jackson reminds people of Richard Seymour, which wuld be perfect. I hope he's there at 12 ... Doom and DJ and WW and the 3-4 system in general will generate pressure from new places that we haven't seen in the past.


Quote:
I suggest we beef up that front three to stop the run later in the draft (Dorrell Scott?) and get the pass rush from the outside. We already have Doom who is a proven pass rusher and could play one of the OLB spots or move up on the line. That leaves getting a pass rusher from the middle. Is there anybody in this draft better at that than Rey?
Drafting Rey Rey means we'll be forced to keep 5 ILBs, because we're definitely not gonna cut Andra Davis, Spencer Larsen, DJ Williams or Wesley Woodyard.

I love Dorrell Scott in the 4th or 5th round, and I like Ron Brace at 48. That's two NTs, plus T-JAx and another 3-4 DE, plus Malcolm Jenkins or maybe William Moore at safety ... we need to go defense, defense, defense.

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 04-21-2009 at 12:21 PM..
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #18
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 61,372

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Quote:
33-38- Brace
48- Mack
84- English

3 #1 picks in 2010...then we fill the NT spot with a cheaper, more natural nose guy than Raji, fill two LB spots and pick up a O-line starter for 2010 as well.
I like this idea and I would use 18 in a trade for a player that can help us now.

Also it would to make sense to trade the 12 pick for a 1 next year and a player now and keep the 18.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #19
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Fine by me too ... that's what I think we need most. A stout, run-stopping 3-4 DE. Tyson Jackson reminds people of Richard Seymour, which wuld be perfect. I hope he's there at 12 ... Doom and DJ and WW and the 3-4 system in general will generate pressure from new places that we haven't seen in the past.




Drafting Rey Rey means we'll be forced to keep 5 ILBs, because we're definitely not gonna cut Andra Davis, Spencer Larsen, DJ Williams or Wesley Woodyard.

I love Dorrell Scott in the 4th or 5th round, and I like Ron Brace at 48. That's two NTs, plus T-JAx and another 3-4 DE, plus Malcolm Jenkins or maybe William Moore at safety ... we need to go defense, defense, defense.
To me, we are not hurting as bad as some on here might think. IMO, Carlton Powell and K. Peterson are going to do a good job. I'm not on board with the idea of reaching for a NT (Raji) when the guy you really want will be there next year (Cody). I haven't given up on Marcus Thomas either. Then, there is the secret weapon: McChesney! I think having Nolan here will give these guys new life.

My theory would be to get the three guys who will stop the bleeding in your worst area: Rush defense. It's basic triage. First stop the bleeding. To me, that would be Tyson Jackson, Rey and Patrick Chung. The added bonus with Rey is that he also is a great blitzer. The added bonus with Chung is he makes people pay on the short routes over the middle.

As far as which LBs would play where if Rey came in I'm sure Nolan would be about the best guy you could have to leave that decision to.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 04-21-2009 at 12:51 PM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #20
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,072

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

To answer the question of the thread title. It might be Malcolm Jenkins.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #21
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,608

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
It would be a mistake despite how badly we need those guys. Of the remaining guys...none stand out as being worth the 12th pick. This tells me they're best move is probably moving down with this pick if Raji and Jackson are gone.
If none of them are worth the first pick then who in the world is going to trade up for them? The difference between the players at 12 and at 30 is negligable this year and I just don't see any names left at 12 that teams will be jumping over each other to get at. People so casually state that we should trade down, and then get all upset when we don't, but in actuallity, trading down, especially in this draft is going to be a nearly impossible thing to do.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #22
PRBronco
_never forget_
 
PRBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,389

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
My prediction:

if Rey is drafted by the Broncos, the fans will LOVE this guy. He's a pocket explosion.
I'm sorry but that expression amuses me to no end.

Also, you're right, I don't really want them to draft Rey, for all the usual reasons, but it'll be hard not to like him if we do.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #23
want2bAbronco2
Pro Bowler
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 620
Default

No way we will take 3 1st rnd picks next year. Dont think anyone has ever had 3 1st, have they? I still say we go with Dline/LB/RB/DB with first 2 picks. I dont mind JL but wont jump for joy. I would rather Jenkins at 12 and Ray at 18. We need a big hard hitting force in the middle, we have lacked that for a few years now.
want2bAbronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #24
lookin' glass
Pro Bowler
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 588
Default

I think the Jets had 3 or 4 1st rd. picks the year they took Shaun Ellis.
lookin' glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #25
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

if we dont draft rey rey, it sure will be fun watching him play in SD....
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Denver Broncos