The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default Defense is the focus in the Broncos Draft

Defense Broncos’ focus in McDaniels’ first draft
By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer
6 hours, 3 minutes ago

Buzz up!5 votes PrintENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—Josh McDaniels has serious work to do to win back some of the Denver Broncos fans who aren’t happy he chased off Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler just three months into the job.

McDaniels can begin to earn their trust this weekend by turning the bevy of draft picks he garnered into gold in the NFL draft.

The Bears sent the Broncos a starting quarterback in Kyle Orton and two first-round draft picks, one this year and one next, and a third-rounder for Cutler and a fifth-round draft pick. So the Broncos own five of the first 84 draft picks, including the 12th and 18th in the first round Saturday.

“First of all, it gives us a lot of flexibility,” McDaniels said. “The more you can have the better off you are, because if you need to maneuver to try to get some players you really feel good about, you have the ammunition to go do some of those things.”

ADVERTISEMENT

McDaniels suggested the Broncos will take a quarterback in the draft— although not necessarily one of the big names early on—to compete with Orton and free agent Chris Simms for the starting job.

“We’ve evaluated all the quarterbacks in the draft and there’s more than a handful that are pretty good players that would be able to fit in and play well in this league and for our team,” said McDaniels, who earned his stripes coaching the offense in New England, where Tom Brady (sixth) and Matt Cassel (seventh) were drafted late.

McDaniels said he won’t go after a guy who will just hold a clipboard and watch Orton and Simms duke it out for snaps.

“You certainly would love to have a third quarterback that could be competitive,” McDaniels said. “That’s the big thing is we’re not just looking to bring players in here at positions just to fill a spot. If the guy can compete and actually have a chance to win a role on our team, then we’re all for it.”

After a tumultuous start to his tenure, McDaniels, who turns 33 this week, will get to show what he learned from Bill Belichick in New England.

He’ll be running the draft along with rookie GM Brian Xanders, 37, who replaced Jim and Jeff Goodman, architects of several solid drafts, in the second big front-office shakeup of the offseason.

They’ll try to refurbish their front seven, especially the line, where there’s a decent pool of hybrid defensive ends who can fit into the Broncos’ new 3-4 scheme, but also a thin crop of nose tackles.

“We’re definitely interested in adding those kinds of players to our roster,” McDaniels said.

He said he feels like he has a jump-start in that regard with the return to health of defensive tackle Carlton Powell, a fifth-rounder from Mike Shanahan’s final draft last year who tore an Achilles’ tendon during offseason conditioning and sat out his rookie year.

McDaniels also re-signed defensive tackle Kenny Peterson and signed free agent defensive tackles Darrell Reid and J’Vonne Parker.

With the extra minicamp allowed for new coaching staffs, McDaniels held his a week before the draft, and some of what he saw will shape the Broncos’ approach next weekend.

“We’ve got a lot of film now to watch. We’ve learned some things about some people,” McDaniels said Sunday. “It’s hard to learn a lot when you’re not out here hitting and really doing those kinds of things, particularly up front.”

McDaniels is hoping he won’t have to select a wide receiver too early.

Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall, who is recovering from hip surgery, is awaiting word from commissioner Roger Goodell on possible punishment for ending up on the police blotter again. He got into a fight with his fiance in Atlanta last month. Although charges were dropped, the NFL metes out its discipline separate from the nation’s judicial process, and a conviction isn’t a prerequisite for a suspension.

Marshall sat out last season’s opener after seven police-related incidents with his former girlfriend. He talked Goodell into reducing his original suspension of three games by promising to keep his nose clean and working with kids in the community.

The Broncos feel that no predraft news from the commissioner’s office on this matter is good news. The thinking is that if Marshall were going to get a lengthy suspension, they’d learn about it this week so they could draft accordingly.

On his way out the door, Shanahan practically begged his successor to keep the league’s No. 2 offense intact. That obviously didn’t happen with Cutler’s departure, but beyond that, McDaniels didn’t see his offense in the same light.

While Cutler & Co. were great between the 20s, they were middle of the road in points scored last year, and McDaniels brought in three free agents to compete with holdover running backs Ryan Torain, Peyton Hillis and Selvin Young, all coming off injuries.

Although the 2008 defense ranked at or near the bottom in every major category, the Broncos have signed eight free agents on that side of the ball. So McDaniels just might use some of his 10 draft picks this weekend on surprising areas.

“I’ve said from the first moment I landed in Denver that our goal was to improve the team,” McDaniels said. “We have significant improvement to do on both sides of the ball and in the kicking game.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I sure hope so.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

I bet Cushing is a Bronco since New England loved him last year and hoped he came out early.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
I bet Cushing is a Bronco since New England loved him last year and hoped he came out early.
Man, I hope you're wrong, but I just have this sinking feeling he's the pick at #12.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

I like how he calls special teams "the kicking game"
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Paladin
Ring of Famer

"........Denver Broncos fans who aren’t happy he chased off Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler just three months into the job." Lost me right there. Stupid, and it tells me the article has not a thing new in it....

I was right.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy
“First of all, it gives us a lot of flexibility,” McDaniels said. “The more you can have the better off you are, because if you need to maneuver to try to get some players you really feel good about, you have the ammunition to go do some of those things.”
Sounds like somebody's gonna make a move up .....

PLEASE make it for Tyson Jackson
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

"He’ll be running the draft along with rookie GM Brian Xanders, 37, who replaced Jim and Jeff Goodman, architects of several solid drafts, in the second big front-office shakeup of the offseason."

"architects of several solid drafts" - with which team? the Broncos haven't had "several solid drafts" - far from it.
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMT View Post
"He’ll be running the draft along with rookie GM Brian Xanders, 37, who replaced Jim and Jeff Goodman, architects of several solid drafts, in the second big front-office shakeup of the offseason."

"architects of several solid drafts" - with which team? the Broncos haven't had "several solid drafts" - far from it.
Disagree ... let's review:
2006 - One of the best offensive drafts the league has seen in many, many years. 5 of the 7 players drafted are now solid starters, and another - Domenik Hixon - played a big role in the Giants Super Bowl run.

2007 - Just four picks, and the first two look very shaky. But the 3rd and 4th picks will probably be Broncos starters for many years to come. Plus it was a pretty good CFA year, Selvin Young and Tyler Polumus both made the team and contributed.

2008 - Looks like another amazing draft. Not just Clady and Royal and Hillis, but perhaps as many as FIVE future starters on defense. JMFW might be a longshot to start, but Larsen, Woodyard, Powell and Barrett could all become starters (Woodyard wasn't drafted, but Goodman scouts the CFAs, too.)
Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

The more and more i think of it, i really hope its Jackson and 12, Maualuga at 18
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
The more and more i think of it, i really hope its Jackson and 12, Maualuga at 18
Current speculation says Jackson will be gone by 12.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

No matter what we do...it'll be interesting...i just hope we don't go QB early.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I guess we shall see. Fine, if Jackson goes before...perhaps it opens up Raji. Gimme Raji and Rey
Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #14
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I think we are going to need to leap frog GB and San Fran to gaurantee we get him...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Disagree ... let's review:
2006 - One of the best offensive drafts the league has seen in many, many years. 5 of the 7 players drafted are now solid starters, and another - Domenik Hixon - played a big role in the Giants Super Bowl run.

2007 - Just four picks, and the first two look very shaky. But the 3rd and 4th picks will probably be Broncos starters for many years to come. Plus it was a pretty good CFA year, Selvin Young and Tyler Polumus both made the team and contributed.

2008 - Looks like another amazing draft. Not just Clady and Royal and Hillis, but perhaps as many as FIVE future starters on defense. JMFW might be a longshot to start, but Larsen, Woodyard, Powell and Barrett could all become starters (Woodyard wasn't drafted, but Goodman scouts the CFAs, too.)
Polumbus made the team last year, not in 07...i think?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Polumbus made the team last year, not in 07...i think?
Yeah, I guess you're right.

Still .... Jim Goodman drafted two of the Broncos very best draft classes ever.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #17
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

Quote:

Agreed! I hope he isn't missed much. But I highly doubt it.
BABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #18
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

well two still doesn't equal several
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABronco View Post
Agreed! I hope he isn't missed much. But I highly doubt it.
You just don't know how these guys are gonna do ... ... but it'll be borderline impossible to manage an '06 or '08 quality draft. Don't hold your breath on that.

Josh does have one big advantage going in: Our current roster is so lop-sided in talent, offense-to-defense, that multiple defensive picks mean a greater likelihood we'll yield some real contributors.

Plus, we have FIVE intriguing second-year men on defense - Larsen, Barrett, Powell, JMFW, Woodyard.

There IS light at the end of this tunnel....
Old 04-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #20
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I just found the undisputed best draft of the past decade: In 2007, the New England Patriots traded their second- round pick to Miami for Wes Welker and their first fourth- round selection to the Oakland Raiders for Randy Moss.

Go ahead, scour the draft picks of every year, for every team. Good luck finding a draft in which a team got the likes of Welker and Moss with back-to-back picks — neither of which were plucked from the first round.

Don't be surprised if new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, New England's offensive coordinator in 2007, keeps the Welker-Moss heist in mind as he enters this draft with extra picks in the first and third rounds.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #21
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I just found the undisputed best draft of the past decade: In 2007, the New England Patriots traded their second- round pick to Miami for Wes Welker and their first fourth- round selection to the Oakland Raiders for Randy Moss.

Go ahead, scour the draft picks of every year, for every team. Good luck finding a draft in which a team got the likes of Welker and Moss with back-to-back picks — neither of which were plucked from the first round.

Don't be surprised if new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, New England's offensive coordinator in 2007, keeps the Welker-Moss heist in mind as he enters this draft with extra picks in the first and third rounds.
You make a good point there, but Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler are a better duo (although Cutler was a 1st rounder). Plus Kuper, Hixon, Dumervil and Scheffler ... 2006 was an amazing draft haul.

Show me a draft where ALL SEVEN players are still in the league 3 years later, and FIVE ARE STARTERS ... that is just amazing, just amazing. The rate for draftees making a team just their FIRST year is maybe 60%, and much much lower than that three years in.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #22
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
You make a good point there, but Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler are a better duo (although Cutler was a 1st rounder). Plus Kuper, Hixon, Dumervil and Scheffler ... 2006 was an amazing draft haul.

Show me a draft where ALL SEVEN players are still in the league 3 years later, and FIVE ARE STARTERS ... that is just amazing, just amazing. The rate for draftees making a team just their FIRST year is maybe 60%, and much much lower than that three years in.
BB I agree with what you said, above. I just posted this to remind us fans the route McD might take this weekend picks for vets.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #23
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Jackson and Matthews. i am not high at all on Maualuga
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #24
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
I think we are going to need to leap frog GB and San Fran to gaurantee we get him...
I don't want to trade up for the same reason you don't want to trade a pick now for picks next year, too many holes. BTW you don't see a conflict in your thinking here given your position is fill all holes possible this year?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #25
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

God, what a bull**** article. This is what he said about the extra draft picks:

"First of all, it gives us a lot of flexibility,” McDaniels said. “The more you can have the better off you are, because if you need to maneuver to try to get some players you really feel good about, you have the ammunition to go do some of those things.

...and the QB's:

"We’ve evaluated all the quarterbacks in the draft and there’s more than a handful that are pretty good players that would be able to fit in and play well in this league and for our team,” said McDaniels, who earned his stripes coaching the offense in New England, where Tom Brady (sixth) and Matt Cassel (seventh) were drafted late.

"You certainly would love to have a third quarterback that could be competitive,” McDaniels said. “That’s the big thing is we’re not just looking to bring players in here at positions just to fill a spot. If the guy can compete and actually have a chance to win a role on our team, then we’re all for it.”

Then there are a few generic quotes. Where are the quotes that show that the Broncos are focusing on Defense?
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote