The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Default The One Player that would make Socal's head exploded

I am posting this story because it draft weekend and Denver has sent scouts to check the kid out.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Willie Williams likes to say that you’re not supposed to live your life with regrets. He clings to this belief, despite knowing the outside world looks at him and thinks he should have many.

“I don’t look at my life with bitterness,” he says. “I look at it with motivation. This is the bed I made and chose to lay in, so I’m going to have to sleep in it.”

linebacker who was once widely considered the nation’s best defensive prospect coming out of high school – in the same year Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson was tabbed as the country’s best prep offensive player – Williams is less than a week removed from the NFL draft. But rather than sitting in the green room with other celebrated draft picks in New York City on Saturday, he’ll watch with a small collection of family, eating some modest home cooking and hoping that some team, any team, will give him an opportunity to play in the league. According to his college coaches, at least 17 NFL franchises have shown some level of interest. Whether any of them are willing to go further will be one of this draft’s underrated story lines.

In fact, one NFC personnel man said he expects Williams to go undrafted and that the former prep star will be signed as a free agent.

It’s a humble ending to a five-year college career that took him to a handful of schools: Miami (two seasons, one redshirt before transferring), West Los Angeles Community College (one season), Louisville (three games, ending after an arrest for marijuana possession), Division II Glenville State (one semester, before being denied transfer by the NCAA), and finally, tiny NAIA school Union College (one season) in Barbourville, Ky.

Indeed, Williams’ career has been nothing like many projected. Once considered the next great heir to a Miami linebacker lineage that includes Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan, Jonathan Vilma and D.J. Williams, his arrival with the Hurricanes was merely the first stop in a spiral that ended in the NAIA. Along the way, Williams’ painful history became riveting Internet fodder. Websites like Deadspin delighted in his every misstep. Message boards buzzed with each development. Among the lowlights, which Williams openly discusses:

• Eleven arrests in high school, most for petty larceny or burglary.

• A journal in the Miami Herald which spilled wild details of recruiting visits and caught attention from the NCAA.

• A recruiting visit to Florida where Williams discharged fire extinguishers in a hotel and was questioned by police for “hugging a female student against her will.”

• A transfer out of Miami after failing to crack the starting lineup as a true freshman.

• A traffic stop and arrest for marijuana possession at Louisville that ended in his dismissal from the team.

Looking back on it, Williams is apologetic but accepting, saying immaturity and a lack of patience kept him from making good decisions. He admits that he sometimes wonders what could have been had he stayed at Miami, where he expected to bide his time behind eventual first-round pick Jon Beason at outside linebacker. Instead, he succumbed to friends and some family around him, who expected that he would immediately become a college football star.

“At the time, I made the decision that I thought was best,” Williams says. “I felt like Miami wasn’t getting 100 percent. I wasn’t 100 percent focused like I thought I should be, being born and raised in Miami, coming out of high school there.”

So began Williams’ journey, from Miami to West Los Angeles C.C. to Louisville, which accepted him into the school with the understanding that there would be a zero-tolerance policy when it came to behavior. When he was arrested for marijuana possession, with three other individuals in the car, he was immediately dismissed from the team. Williams eventually pled guilty to the arrest, and coaches are quick to point out that the incident has been his only trouble in his five years in college.

A transfer to Division II Glenville State was denied by the NCAA – a problem head coach Alan Fiddler said was a misinterpretation by the school’s compliance department, and not any fault of Williams’. And it was Fiddler who worked the phones and found Williams the landing spot at Union, where Williams arrived eight days before the school’s first game, then went out and became the NAIA’s defensive player of the week after putting up 13 tackles, two sacks and two fumble recoveries. He finished the season with 150 tackles 19˝ tackles for a loss and 11˝ sacks.

Look anywhere along the journey, and coaches will gush about Williams – regardless of whether he played for them. Fiddler said his Glenville State team couldn’t block Williams in practices. Union coach Tommy Reid calls him the best player he’s ever had in his program. Even Coker, who coached dozens of NFL players at Miami, insists Williams’ talent is unique.

“I think he could have been a great player at Miami, I really do,” said Coker, who is now the head coach at the University of Texas at San Antonio. “He has a lot of ability. He can run, he’s got size, he’s strong, he’s a very good athlete. If he can go into the league, I would think he would have been humbled a little bit by now in his career, if he can just go into the league and [say] ‘Give me a shot, I’ll be on every special teams [unit].’ If that’s the attitude he goes into the league with, I think he could be a special player.”

Whether that shot comes, Coker shrugs. He says he hasn’t been contacted by any NFL teams. However, multiple league scouts traveled to Union to see Williams practice, including the Green Bay Packers, San Francisco 49ers, Denver Broncos and New York Giants. Many others called or asked for film to be sent, including the Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins. The Packers, Browns and 49ers also watched Williams at his pro day, which was held with Eastern Kentucky University.

Williams put up solid numbers in that performance, too. According to the numbers released by the school, he measured in at 6-3˝ and 230 pounds, showing the size to be a weakside linebacker in the NFL. He did 26 reps at 225 pounds (one more than Wake Forest’s Aaron Curry), ran his 40-yard dash in the mid-4.5 second range and showcased NFL-caliber agility in the cone drills.

But numbers and workouts and practice visits are a long way from a sure thing. Ultimately, with the current climate in the NFL, it’s just as important that Williams proves he can be trusted. Many of his troubles have been explained away in the media by family and friends – the bad crowd he hung around with in high school, his father’s sudden death from a heart attack when Williams was 12, the unchecked affection and expectations he received as a national football recruit.

The rest of the story.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Omg
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Doesn't everyone get arrested 11 times while in high school?
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Hugging a girl who didn't want it, is that even a crime in Florida?

And also since when has being arrested mean anything? Maybe he was just the wrong dude 11 times?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

maybe use number 18 on him.... What are the chances he could ever get into more trouble
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
bap454
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Ya, i remember when this kid came to Miami U. People were complaining and the U took alot of heat for bringing him in. They justified it by his talent. Never new what happened to him.....
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Everybody deserves a 20th chance.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I want Denver to draft him, just to see Socal's post about McDick, aids, a viper, a 15 inch ding dong and hunchback named Stalin.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
Elway777
Ring of Famer

I might use a 7 round pick on him. The Broncos could draft Bernard Scott and Williams in the 7 round. Williams arrested 11 times and Scott 5 times.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
Paladin
Ring of Famer

At least they would be chippy.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Raider Material
Broncojef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
It’s a humble ending to a five-year college career that took him to a handful of schools: Miami (two seasons, one redshirt before transferring), West Los Angeles Community College (one season), Louisville (three games, ending after an arrest for marijuana possession), Division II Glenville State (one semester, before being denied transfer by the NCAA), and finally, tiny NAIA school Union College (one season) in Barbourville, Ky.
I lived in 'West Los Angeles' for 14 years, but I never once heard of "West Los Angeles Community College."

There's Santa Monica City College, El Camino Community College in Gardena, Pasadena City College, Los Angeles Community College downtown, Saddleback Community College in Orange County, and Los Angeles City College on Vermont in Hollywood. I could drive you right to the doorsteps of all six.

But I never once heard of "West Los Angeles Community College."

He must've been scraping the bottom of the barrel.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #13
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Who wouldn't want this guy!
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I dont care if we get him one way or another, but to be fair he was in trouble ONCE in college and that was a pot charge (and didnt even say if it was his). To move from school to school like that has to be a pretty humbling experience. Obviously he did a lot of stupid **** in high school, but he appears to mostly have stayed out of it in college. Sounds somewhat like Marcus Thomas and Marcus has kept his nose clean since he's been here. So quiet down, moral police.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:01 AM   #15
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I dont care if we get him one way or another, but to be fair he was in trouble ONCE in college and that was a pot charge (and didnt even say if it was his). To move from school to school like that has to be a pretty humbling experience. Obviously he did a lot of stupid **** in high school, but he appears to mostly have stayed out of it in college. Sounds somewhat like Marcus Thomas and Marcus has kept his nose clean since he's been here. So quiet down, moral police.
Agreed.

I read about this guy last year and apparently his dad's death had a lot to do with his troubles. He's probably no worse than plenty of NFL players were in high school but didn't get caught or maybe got somebody to sweep the charges under the rug. I doubt they take him though because at 230 he doesn't fit in this 3-4 defense anyway. Petty larceny/burglary as a minor plus a pot charge...not good but at least it's property crime not something like a domestic battery or assault. Somebody will give him a shot...hopefully he takes advantage.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 04-21-2009 at 02:04 AM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:01 AM   #16
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I wouldn't mind if the Broncos brought him in as a 7th rounder or a UDFA. Be up-front with a zero tolerance policy and let him know the only way he makes this team is by being a STs ace. If he shoulders the load, keeps quiet and stays out of trouble... what is the down side? As a 7th rounder or UDFA it's fairly simple to cut your losses and move on. I'd do it. And, even if we don't do it ourselves, I hope somebody will. Give the kid his final chance. If he takes control and rises to the occasion I will be happy for him.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: