The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default Denver QB battle underway

Denver QB battle underway: With several inches of wet, heavy snow covering their practice fields, the Broncos held their workouts as part of their first minicamp inside their bubble, and each day the quarterbacks were watched under the keen eye of new head coach Josh McDaniels. McDaniels, who tutored Tom Brady and Matt Cassel in New England before replacing Mike Shanahan in Denver, has declared his quarterback competition wide open. While it would appear Kyle Orton is the front-runner, it was clear Sunday that Chris Simms has the stronger arm. But they appeared about equal in every other aspect. McDaniels said last week that he doesn't have a timetable for naming his starter, and he has suggested he'll select a quarterback in the draft. Asked for his assessment of the quarterback situation after just one day on the field, Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey just grinned. "Right now, it's just two good-looking guys out there throwing the ball," said Bailey, who's steadily improving from offseason surgery to fix a dislocated left elbow. "I know what they've done around the league, but I've never played against them, so I really don't know much about them."
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players...age/418071/rss

Still sounds like we could draft a QB.?
Interesting that Sims has the stronger arm?
or is this a smoke screen and Orton is a lock?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

They're both better backups with roughly the same experience...tossup if it's a fair fight.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

*sigh*
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

"Right now, it's just two good-looking guys out there throwing the ball," said Bailey, who's steadily improving from offseason surgery to fix a dislocated left elbow. "I know what they've done around the league, but I've never played against them, so I really don't know much about them."

That's a nice politicly correct answer, I would like to know what Champ really thinks?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
it was clear Sunday that Chris Simms has the stronger arm
When you have a clearly weaker arm than Chris Simms, throwing power is a concern.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
"Right now, it's just two good-looking guys out there throwing the ball," said Bailey, who's steadily improving from offseason surgery to fix a dislocated left elbow. "I know what they've done around the league, but I've never played against them, so I really don't know much about them."

That's a nice politicly correct answer, I would like to know what Champ really thinks?

probably something along the lines of "we traded a 25 year old pro bowler to let one of these guys lead us this year, wtf is wrong with McDaniels?"
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Battle?
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
When you have a clearly weaker arm than Chris Simms, throwing power is a concern.
Simms has a pretty decent arm.
Florida_Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I've watched several Bears games now and this idea that Orton has a weak arm is garbage. It's above average. One of the commentators even used the term "laser" when describing one of his throws.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

So then cutler had an "ion cannon" for an arm? Or perhaps a "rail gun" of an arm?

*sigh*
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I've watched several Bears games now and this idea that Orton has a weak arm is garbage. It's above average. One of the commentators even used the term "laser" when describing one of his throws.
Was Namath drunk again?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
From what I've seen, Orton has an above average arm, that's why I questioned the statment in the article that Sims clearly has the stronger arm?
If he does draft a QB lets hope it's a later round, I would like to see Bomar picked up.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Simms has a pretty strong arm believe it or not...

but i wouldn't buy into that report anyway...Orton's arm is NOT weak...

and you'll come to find that out soon enough...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Was Namath drunk again?
Can I kiss you? I want to kiss you.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

I just read that Chris Simms was picked off by Wesley Woodyard in practice...

WW making plays like usual...

-- Broncos QB Update --
Mon Apr 20, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com

The Denver Post reports Broncos QB Chris Simms took the first-team repetitions to start the final day of mini-camp Sunday morning, though it was Orton with the starters when the team ran the two-minute drill to close the two-hour practice. QB Kyle Orton threw the prettiest touchdown on a deep pass to WR Jabar Gaffney in a drill against linebackers and defensive backs. Simms was intercepted by LB Wesley Woodyard, who was playing with the starting linebackers in place of LB D.J. Williams, in a 7-on-7 drill. Both quarterbacks said it is too early — especially considering each is in the early stages of learning McDaniels' offense — to worry about the competition with each other. "I did some good things. I definitely messed some things up mentally, and definitely missed a few throws physically," Simms said. "So there's a lot of areas to improve on, but you expect that, really, at this time of the year."

http://www.ffmastermind.com/quickbits.php
Old 04-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
What a commentator says is about as useful as what is written in the media guide.

Orton may not be the second coming of SOB, but he is clearly not a guy who can consistently but the ball on the money when he is going 20 or 30 yards down field. He may be able to hurl it deep when he has to, but the games I have seen with him (5 and counting) his accuracy suffers badly when he goes deep which is an indication that he lacks power and throws unnaturaly to compensate for his arm.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #17
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

One of the good things from this camp is that, one week before the draft, McDaniels and Xanders were able to see both of these guys first-hand running their scheme with their players. Obviously playing in shorts is a lot different than live snaps, but I feel better knowing the Broncos have watched these two in person now prior to the draft rather than projecting how they'd fit into the system. I'm not as anti-Sanchez as some are here. While I don't like the idea of moving up for him, if by some crazy circumstance he fell to #12 I wouldn't at all be upset with his selection.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
One of the good things from this camp is that, one week before the draft, McDaniels and Xanders were able to see both of these guys first-hand running their scheme with their players. Obviously playing in shorts is a lot different than live snaps, but I feel better knowing the Broncos have watched these two in person now prior to the draft rather than projecting how they'd fit into the system. I'm not as anti-Sanchez as some are here. While I don't like the idea of moving up for him, if by some crazy circumstance he fell to #12 I wouldn't at all be upset with his selection.
well i would...

but still a good post...
Old 04-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #19
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Hard to believe that we are back to watching a Griese-esque performer @ QB.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #20
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
Simms has a pretty decent arm.
He does, he just takes a while to get rid of it.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #21
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

I'm calling it right now, Champ picks off 9 passes, Dawkins 5, and WW (at ILB) 47, therefore we could bring in Jeff george as our QB, our defense is going to drag us to the SHIP!!!!

hahaha,,, sorry I couldn't resist a good WW post, secretly I'm hoping we don't draft a qb at all this year. Next year has a pretty deep QB class coming out and we have 2 first rounders there so if need be we can get any guy we want.

Talk to you later Gentleman
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #22
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
They're both better backups with roughly the same experience...tossup if it's a fair fight.
How many backups do you know that have started for 2 seasons and have a winning won / loss record?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #23
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
What a commentator says is about as useful as what is written in the media guide.

Orton may not be the second coming of SOB, but he is clearly not a guy who can consistently but the ball on the money when he is going 20 or 30 yards down field. He may be able to hurl it deep when he has to, but the games I have seen with him (5 and counting) his accuracy suffers badly when he goes deep which is an indication that he lacks power and throws unnaturaly to compensate for his arm.
So it seems to me then we got rid of a whining QB with the same issues and got one that wants to work hard and be here.

Win for Denver.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #24
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
So it seems to me then we got rid of a whining QB with the same issues and got one that wants to work hard and be here.

Win for Denver.
We could have gotten Johnny the retard who would work as hard as anyone and loves Denver too, but I wouldn't call replacing a talented QB with a significantly less talented QB a win.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #25
Where's Plummer???
orton has plummers beard

Orton Is A Team Leader!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

i say orton gets the job hands down...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrAJN...eature=related

i know its against the bears but just so ppl can get a good idea on his arm trength
Where's Plummer??? is offline   Reply With Quote