The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default It looks like Pass Rushing OLB will be low Priority

It seems to me with the Mini Camp wind down write ups that we will be pretty unlikely to draft a Pass Rushing OLB. I can't see the upside anymore.
Everette Brown, Orakpo, Maybin. These guys are no better than Dumerville, Moss, Crowder. They each have basically the same upside/downside. All can get to the passer. All would be coverage liabilities. I think we will push hard for the Raji/Jackson at 12. And I would not be shocked to see a WR/RB/CB at 18. And I think wood/Mack are a lock at 48 if available.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
TheDave
Sauced...

From what I can tell both Raji and Jackson will be gone by #12... we might have to use one of our 3rds to jump Green bay and San Fran.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
It seems to me with the Mini Camp wind down write ups that we will be pretty unlikely to draft a Pass Rushing OLB. I can't see the upside anymore.
Everette Brown, Orakpo, Maybin. These guys are no better than Dumerville, Moss, Crowder. They each have basically the same upside/downside. All can get to the passer. All would be coverage liabilities. I think we will push hard for the Raji/Jackson at 12. And I would not be shocked to see a WR/RB/CB at 18. And I think wood/Mack are a lock at 48 if available.
I dont really get your logic here. Because they are similar size and play the same position, they are suddenly the same person? Ronald Fields is 330 pounds and plays nose tackle. So is BJ Raji, i guess we're not drafting him either.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

You can never have too many pass rushers. Guys get hurt or have lulls in the season where they are not effective rushing the passer. Can't count on Moss, Doom, or Crowder either. But, if anything this opens the door for the Broncos to select an ILB. Maualuga, Laurinaitis at #18, or Brinkley in the 3rd. I just hope Tyson Jackson is there at #12.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I'd still prefer run stoppers, simply because you need to stop the run before you can do anything else on defense. That's why guys like Jackson, Maualuga, Brace make a lot of sense for me with the first 3.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I dont really get your logic here. Because they are similar size and play the same position, they are suddenly the same person? Ronald Fields is 330 pounds and plays nose tackle. So is BJ Raji, i guess we're not drafting him either.
No, actually I am going by college Pedigree. Since none of the six I listed have ever played OLB. Why take the chance on a college Unknown when you have equally pedigreed unknowns on the roster-IMO the chance of success is just as high.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

That's some extremely rediculous logic.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I think it would be a mistake to take a WR on the first day.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
From what I can tell both Raji and Jackson will be gone by #12... we might have to use one of our 3rds to jump Green bay and San Fran.
Personally I can't see it. There are only 11 players getting picked before us. IMO

Players I expect to be gone

QB's-Stafford, Sanchez
OT-Smith,Smith, Monroe
WR-Crabtree
OLB-CUrry, Orakpo

If every other pick Breaks against the Broncos. Then I guess you could be right. But IMO I think the chances are actually greater of us having our pick of either rather than neither.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesBronco View Post
That's some extremely rediculous logic.
it is Rediculous
Old 04-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
All can get to the passer? The only guy so far showing he can do that is Elvis. Nobody on the current roster has proven they can play the OLB spot in a 3-4...nobody. Only one guy (Dumervil) has proven he can play at all. Crowder looks like a cut to me, certainly if he's a DE. Moss almost certainly will be cut by this new regime since he's the perfect example of a Shanny high draft pick who isn't living up to expectations...unless he radically improves in TC...nice statement for McHoodie. No current LB looks like a fit there either, including DJ...who IMO may be traded if he's not moved inside. Woodyard might be the only guy they have who can play the spot but he is 30 pounds to light for the OLB spot

Rajil appears to come with some question marks, as does Jackson. Either one would still fit based on them being better than what they have.

WR/RB/CB would be stupid...so that's probably the pick.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
You can never have too many pass rushers. Guys get hurt or have lulls in the season where they are not effective rushing the passer. Can't count on Moss, Doom, or Crowder either. But, if anything this opens the door for the Broncos to select an ILB. Maualuga, Laurinaitis at #18, or Brinkley in the 3rd. I just hope Tyson Jackson is there at #12.
Exactly.

Also, i think some posters are misreading these kind of articles where a player is mentioned in the context of playing another position.
IMHO, Nolan more than likely is giving these guys a "last" look before the draft to confirm what he already suspects....that they CANT play where he wants them to.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Personally I can't see it. There are only 11 players getting picked before us. IMO

Players I expect to be gone

QB's-Stafford, Sanchez
OT-Smith,Smith, Monroe
WR-Crabtree
OLB-CUrry, Orakpo

If every other pick Breaks against the Broncos. Then I guess you could be right. But IMO I think the chances are actually greater of us having our pick of either rather than neither.
That leaves 3 picks... Barring a posative test for Dope Raji is gone for sure. That leaves Jackson and I see both Green Bay and San Fran as probable landing spots. Using a 3rd to move ahead of them would be the smart play at this point.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Just because Crowder and Moss lined up at OLB doesn't mean they're any good at it. The coaches will be looking at film all week to see about that one.

Hopefully, it does mean we are deep at the position, that would be awesome for the team. Hopefully, it does mean we can focus on the D-line.

It would free us up to potentially take a guy like Malcolm Jenkins at #12, which would be a good value pick.

In all honesty, we still don't know what the coaches think of the players. We won't know until the end of the draft on Sunday...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
All can get to the passer? The only guy so far showing he can do that is Elvis. Nobody on the current roster has proven they can play the OLB spot in a 3-4...nobody. Only one guy (Dumervil) has proven he can play at all. Crowder looks like a cut to me, certainly if he's a DE. Moss almost certainly will be cut by this new regime since he's the perfect example of a Shanny high draft pick who isn't living up to expectations...unless he radically improves in TC...nice statement for McHoodie. No current LB looks like a fit there either, including DJ...who IMO may be traded if he's not moved inside. Woodyard might be the only guy they have who can play the spot but he is 30 pounds to light for the OLB spot

Rajil appears to come with some question marks, as does Jackson. Either one would still fit based on them being better than what they have.

WR/RB/CB would be stupid...so that's probably the pick.
This is true Nobody has proved they can play OLB. This include the draft picks. The chance for success is the same for the guys on the roster as it is the guys at the combine. Logic would dictate you don't spend resources on an unknown when the unknowns already on the roster have as much chance of success.

You are cutting guys you have not even seen play. I can just as easily say. Well Everette Brown looks like a cut he is to stiff to cover.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #16
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Just because Crowder and Moss lined up at OLB doesn't mean they're any good at it. The coaches will be looking at film all week to see about that one.

Hopefully, it does mean we are deep at the position, that would be awesome for the team. Hopefully, it does mean we can focus on the D-line.

It would free us up to potentially take a guy like Malcolm Jenkins at #12, which would be a good value pick.

In all honesty, we still don't know what the coaches think of the players. We won't know until the end of the draft on Sunday...
My point is not that they are any good. Not one person here has any idea. But they have as much of a chance as the guys in the draft.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #17
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I've been saying this the last week ... we actually have 6-8 decent LBs.

But the cupboard is bare along the line. I think Marcus Thomas has twice as many starts as any one of the others, and with Crowder and Moss at LB now, we have almost nobody on the D-Line.

I'm for going D-Line with 3 or 4 of those first 5 picks
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
i wouldn't go that far...

personally though i do believe D-line is priority even over edge rushers...

Jackson and or BJ may be our targets and i'm good with that...

but i still believe a pass rusher or two will be drafted fairly early as well...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
My point is not that they are any good. Not one person here has any idea. But they have as much of a chance as the guys in the draft.
I still don't get your logic. Just because they have a similar skill set, similar strengths and weaknesses, doesn't make them the same player. In high school, i could run great routes, had good hands, but was pretty small and wasnt the fastest guy in the world. Think the broncos should sign me to play the welker position? We have a similar skill set and size.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #20
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I've been saying this the last week ... we actually have 6-8 decent LBs.

But the cupboard is bare along the line. I think Marcus Thomas has twice as many starts as any one of the others, and with Crowder and Moss at LB now, we have almost nobody on the D-Line.

I'm for going D-Line with 3 or 4 of those first 5 picks
I agree. I'm all for bigger, nastier dudes in general. Which is why Tjackson, brace, maualuga look pretty nice to me. Stop that run!!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #21
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
I think it would be a mistake to take a WR on the first day.
Agree. Jabar Gaffney is better than this Board's conventional wisdom gives him I think. Plus B-Marsh, Royal and Stokley. That's four who will make the roster, two very young and Gaffney in his prime.

And I'm still very intrigued by Chad Jackson ... if anybody knows Chad Jackson, it's Josh. Chad know's Josh's offense, and Josh knows Chad. If Chad can't make it here and make it now, he really is a bust.

Gotta say, his speed is electric ... the one ball he caught this year aganist the Jets was an eye-opener.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #22
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
This is true Nobody has proved they can play OLB. This include the draft picks. The chance for success is the same for the guys on the roster as it is the guys at the combine. Logic would dictate you don't spend resources on an unknown when the unknowns already on the roster have as much chance of success.
I wouldn't equate a guy in his third season who hasn't proven he even belongs on the team with a #1 draft pick yet to play a down. Coaches are always drawn to potential. Do you honestly think McOpie will look at Crowder like he does a guy he could draft at #12? Crowder's done nothing at all, and Moss is the perfect victim, a high Shanny draft pick who hasn't lived up to expectaions due to injury and slow physical development, plus he has potential character issues that might worry a new coachc. Neither will get an ounce of respect they don't earn in spades.
Quote:
You are cutting guys you have not even seen play. I can just as easily say. Well Everette Brown looks like a cut he is to stiff to cover.
I'm sure there's plenty of video on all these guys, from both practice and game film, and it's against NFL competition not college guys so it's more definitive. Besides...he's already cut guys before they even went to mini camp so that's a non issue.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #23
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I wouldn't equate a guy in his third season who hasn't proven he even belongs on the team with a #1 draft pick yet to play a down. Coaches are always drawn to potential. Do you honestly think McOpie will look at Crowder like he does a guy he could draft at #12? Crowder's done nothing at all, and Moss is the perfect victim, a high Shanny draft pick who hasn't lived up to expectaions due to injury and slow physical development, plus he has potential character issues that might worry a new coachc. Neither will get an ounce of respect they don't earn in spades.

I'm sure there's plenty of video on all these guys, from both practice and game film, and it's against NFL competition not college guys so it's more definitive. Besides...he's already cut guys before they even went to mini camp so that's a non issue.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Rey Rey, come on down!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #25
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Jackson should still be there at #12. Then we should flip around and take Michael Johnson at #18. He'll easily beat out Boss Bailey for the SAM position. He'll give us edge rushing ability at the OLB spot and also has the athletic ability to flip around and play in coverage.

If we move to a 4-3 on certain downs, he can put his hand in the ground and play end.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote