The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson
Default Notes from Sunday's practice. Woodyard playing inside, Crowder looks good at LB

I know, everyone looks good in shorts. Wonder if anything the coaches saw tweaks draft plans.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denver...sing-out-camp/

The Broncos’ first mini-camp of the Josh McDaniels era wrapped up on Sunday, and it did nothing if not get the players and coaches even more excited for this year’s campaign.

“It was great,” McDaniels said. “You could see the energy that’s out here — the players are practicing hard, the coaches are coaching hard and everybody has the same goal in mind, which is to get better every day. We’re going to pay the price right now to try to win in September.”

Sunday’s practice was open to the media, so here are some quick hits from the session:
# Coach McDaniels has certainly taken a hands-on approach for the first three practices. Not only has he rotated from position group to position group, he’s also gotten involved in some of the drills. He lined up as a defensive back to make sure the receivers were running crisp routes, and even tried to slap the ball away from running backs to stress ball control as they finished up a drill.

“He’s had some good offenses over the last few years in New England, and you don’t get that way by just sitting back in your chair and watching TV,” Chris Simms said. “I think he’s a pretty hands-on guy.”

# Speaking of coaches being up-close-and-personal, Jabar Gaffney and Offensive Line Coach Rick Dennison got to know each other a little better Sunday morning. During 7-on-7 drills, Kyle Orton dropped back and launched a pass to Gaffney, who was streaking past his defender down the sideline. Players began to shout as Gaffney neared the offensive line doing drills, and the receiver made quite a catch over his shoulder before running right into the back of Dennison. The coach hopped right back up with a smile, and the offensive line applauded as Gaffney jogged back to the huddle, got a fist pound from Chad Jackson and a laugh and high five from Orton.

“I said ‘Great catch’ to Jabar and I’ll try not to do that again,” Orton said with a smile. “But it was a great play.”
# Orton and Chris Simms split the repetitions evenly throughout Sunday’s practice, and afterward the two were asked separately how to describe the process of learning McDaniels’ offensive system.

“Whatever you put into it is what you get out,” Orton said. “There are plenty of teams implementing new systems and plenty of quarterbacks that have to learn new systems, so it’s nothing overly challenging. Just come in and put the work in — it’s not rocket science.”

Simms agreed that it might not be rocket science, but he had another metaphor ready.

“It’s a new language,” he said. “Any time you’re learning a new language things are going to be hard, just trying to get everybody on the same page. There are some new routes for receivers that they haven’t run before, and there are routes that I haven’t thrown before, so it’s a matter of us all getting on the same page.”
# The snow hasn’t melted from the team’s practice field, so once again they took to the “bubble,” an indoor field surrounded by a dome that looks like it’s made out of a Moon Bounce. But being forced indoors didn’t stop Matt Prater from practicing field goals. Lonny Paxton snapped the ball to Brett Kern, who held for Prater, and the kicker simply booted the ball against the side of the dome.
# The quarterbacks were involved in an interesting drill during practice — fielding ground balls and tossing the baseball back toward the wall of the dome.

“Just trying to get quick feet, quick hands and get the ball out,” Orton explained.
# Plenty of fans seem to be interested in how the linebacker corps is taking shape this offseason. Here’s one update — Wesley Woodyard said he’s been taking some repetitions at inside linebacker when the team runs a 3-4. He said it’s not much different from the role he played last season — “just flying around, making plays,” he said. It seems to be working out so far — during 7-on-7 drills he read a route the whole way, jumped it and returned an interception to the endzone, which resulted in plenty of shouting from the defensive sideline.
# A couple of new faces took some snaps with the linebackers during 7-on-7 drills as well, including Elvis Dumervil and Tim Crowder.

“It was kind of shocking at first, but to see (Dumervil) drop out of there, him and Tim Crowder, to be able to drop back, they look like linebackers out there like they’ve been doing it for years,” Woodyard said. “So it’s been a pretty good fit for those guys.”

Now that this mini-camp is over, the team can look foward to the NFL Draft, which starts this Saturday.

“I think it’s always exciting when you get an opportunity to add good football players to your team, whether it be through free agency or the draft,” McDaniels said. “The draft offers a lot of good young players and we’re looking forward to the ones that are going to end up as Broncos here after seven or eight days.”

The team’s next mini-camp takes place the weekend after the draft — May 1 - 3.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Good stuff, thanks for the post man.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Crowder is somewhat the forgotten man, and it would be a surprise if he could play OLB. I think most people had him pegged as a 5 tech in the new system.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Crowder IMO wont be able to play OLB very well. He could be cut.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

It's good to see something, anything, coming from a camp. Thanks.

Stand by for:

"What do you expect from the Gulag run by McD, it's all just 'happy talk, nothing more."
"Players are frightened for their jobs, of course they'll say something positive.....they're scared, stop drinking the kool-aid."
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
want2bAbronco2
Pro Bowler

I love WW! Man I hope he can just find a spot and start there. Seems to just make play after play.
want2bAbronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Players know that they have to preform. Nothing new here. That being said, the one thing I remain positive about from a coaching perspective is the fact we finally brought in coaches that should know how to build a effective 3-4. Denver has a wealth of players at Linebackers, and we need to be leveraging them much better.

Any word on how Ron Brace is doing at N.T? We need to know sooner rather then later if we need to trade up to get Raji in the draft.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2bAbronco2 View Post
I love WW! Man I hope he can just find a spot and start there. Seems to just make play after play.
He's got the heart I think, but will need some help maybe from a bigger more physical guy lined up next to him. Not sure DJ is that type in a 3-4. More likely both DJ and Woodyard would need someone bigger to help them shine.

IMO DJ Woodyard will be asked to do a lot of the same type of stuff for Broncos. What we need is a sledgehammer like Maluaga to help them with size and nastiness.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
Players know that they have to preform. Nothing new here. That being said, the one thing I remain positive about from a coaching perspective is the fact we finally brought in coaches that should know how to build a effective 3-4. Denver has a wealth of players at Linebackers, and we need to be leveraging them much better.

Any word on how Ron Brace is doing at N.T? We need to know sooner rather then later if we need to trade up to get Raji in the draft.
You act like Brace already on the team. You realize we would have to draft him right?

Maybe you meant Reid from San Fran?

Until the oline and dlines can go at it hard you won't know. In shorts I doubt big guys are revving it up just yet.

Exciting times in Denver I think. I love how Mcdaniels is hungry to coach up players and put his effort into all facets of the team. I think under Shanny it got to point where the defensive guys just felt like SHannahan didn't care about them.

If the defense can get fired up and play better that will offset some of the pain of Cutler being gone.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You act like Brace already on the team. You realize we would have to draft him right?

Maybe you meant Reid from San Fran?

Until the oline and dlines can go at it hard you won't know. In shorts I doubt big guys are revving it up just yet.

Exciting times in Denver I think. I love how Mcdaniels is hungry to coach up players and put his effort into all facets of the team. I think under Shanny it got to point where the defensive guys just felt like SHannahan didn't care about them.

If the defense can get fired up and play better that will offset some of the pain of Cutler being gone.
You mean Ron Fields from SF?
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2bAbronco2 View Post
i think he will, especially since we will do a hybrid 3-4 which means we will still see occasional allignment in the 4-3 and Woodyard will see the field in those situations at least. plus if he adds a few pounds he could probably stay on the field all the time at the ILB position in 3-4 allignments.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i think he will, especially since we will do a hybrid 3-4 which means we will still see occasional allignment in the 4-3 and Woodyard will see the field in those situations at least. plus if he adds a few pounds he could probably stay on the field all the time at the ILB position in 3-4 allignments.
In a 4-3 where would he play? At the weakside almost certainly. That would force DJ either to the middle or to the SSL spot.

I see Woodyard as a spot player this yr who plays but doesn't start. I think he will play special teams and do really well, back up DJ on the weakside and spell him maybe 10 plays a game in certain packages.

In the 3-4 he will once again IMO have to fight for a spot because his size would almost make him have to go inside. No way he can play the Jack IMO, or the SOLB in a 3-4. DJ I feel same way about. Seems to me it will be tough to get both DJ and Woodyard on field at same time.

Maybe if DJ willing to try his luck at the strongside. IMO a 3-4 with both DJ and Woodyard and Bailey leaves us not enough size or physical play. Some draft picks IMO are going to vastly change how we all see the linebackers playing out.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #13
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

thx for the update.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
You mean Ron Fields from SF?
lol yeah
Old 04-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #15
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Camp is a bit better because the pads go on and then separate the boys from the men.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Nice read.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #17
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

I think WW will be a good fit at MLB if they can get some good sized outside LB's. Hopefully, Doom and/or Moss can fill one of those spots. The kid can flat out play, regardless of his weight.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange crusher View Post
I think WW will be a good fit at MLB if they can get some good sized outside LB's. Hopefully, Doom and/or Moss can fill one of those spots. The kid can flat out play, regardless of his weight.
I think they find ways for him to play, but it won't be as a full time starter.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #19
Malcontent
Life....on tap.

Got Mustard?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chad Mustard

No mention of JMFW...
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #20
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
No mention of JMFW...
They didn't want to risk being hit by a bolt of lightning.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #21
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
No mention of JMFW...

Despite all the hoorah, I don't know if this guy can actually play. He's not too big, and I just don't like midget CBs.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #22
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Exciting!
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #23
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Despite all the hoorah, I don't know if this guy can actually play. He's not too big, and I just don't like midget CBs.....
SHUT THE F*U* UP FAT MAN!!!
YOU are looking to get mother****in, ****ED UP!!

socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #24
socalorado
Ring of Famer

“just flying around, making plays,” he said. It seems to be working out so far

socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Nice read. I guess all the doom and gloom only exists on fan boards. Sounds like the Broncos are pumped up and ready to go. Excellent!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote