The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default Denver Post Tidbits....

Josh McDaniels translates the New England offense to the Broncos, one of his challenges is Denver's group of talented receivers doesn't quite match up with the characteristics of the Patriots' receivers.

New England's No. 1 receiver, Randy Moss, is a deep- ball receiver, while the Broncos' top receiver, Brandon Marshall, is a physical, possession wideout. Brandon Stokley is a prototype slot receiver, but New England's slot man, Wes Welker, more resembles Eddie Royal, the Broncos' No. 2 receiver, in strength.

With Welker making 111 and 112 receptions the past two seasons, it's logical to project that kind of workload going to the younger Royal than to Stokley. Royal had 91 catches last season as a rookie. Stokley, who turns 33 in June, hasn't topped 50 receptions since 2004.

"It's hard to say right now," Royal said after the Broncos' mini-camp workout Saturday. "He wants us to learn all positions so we can move around and do whatever's needed."

Denver's final predraft mini-camp workout is today.

Three-man position.

The NFL draft next weekend may be remembered as the first to split defensive ends into three positions.

There is the 5-technique defensive end who can stop the run and occasionally sack the passer from the 3-4 alignment. LSU's Tyson Jackson is considered the best in this group.

There is the 4-3 defensive end known primarily as a pass rusher. Robert Ayers and Everette Brown are considered tops in this category.

The other classification?

"I've never seen a year like this when so many 4-3 defensive ends in college are getting looked at as rush outside linebackers," said former Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist.

Texas' Brian Orakpo, Penn State's Aaron Maybin and Northern Illinois' Larry Eng- lish were 4-3 defensive ends in college who have been rated highly in the new category of defensive end-outside linebacker.

The new hybrid position came along a little too late for the Broncos' Elvis Dumervil, who wasn't drafted until the fourth round in 2006 despite leading the nation the previous season with 20 sacks. Had the 5-foot-11, 250- pound Dumervil entered the draft today, he might have been considered a late first- round or early second-round pick.

"That's the new wave," said Dumervil, who will dabble as an outside linebacker this season as the Broncos transition to the 3-4. "When I was coming out, I was a negative. I guess it's good now to be short."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12174571

And;

ition
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
POSTED: 04/19/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT
UPDATED: 04/19/2009 01:06:05 AM MDT

Peyton Hillis, giving Broncos fans a Mile High Salute after scoring against the Chiefs last year, is one of many Denver backs vying for carries in 2009. ( Reza A. Marvashti, The Denver Post )
You might as well get used to hearing this refrain over the next few months as the Broncos prepare for their first season under new coach Josh McDaniels: It's competition time.

But nowhere is the battle for playing time more real than at tailback, after McDaniels and his new staff quickly dismissed most of Mike Shanahan's running backs and signed three free agents.

Only three Denver running backs are healthy now — new Broncos Correll Buck-halter and LaMont Jordan, and Shanahan-holdover Peyton Hillis — and all three are rotating in to get carries in McDaniels' standard one- back offense through the first two days of the team's first mini-camp of 2009. J.J. Arrington, the third free-agent newcomer, Selvin Young and Ryan

Torain will join the fray when fully recovered from injuries.
"We definitely had a lot of talent on the squad, throughout the running back position, but we all got hurt," Hillis said. "When you put the injured tag on somebody, it's kind of hard not to get some guys in reserve. We've got a lot of good veterans, guys that've really played the game. I think they're going to do good things here."

But once the 2009 roster is finalized, more than four months from now in early September, don't expect to see the next, great 25-carry-per-game running back.

That does not seem to be McDaniels' style.

Instead, think of a trio — at least — of tailbacks, each with 10 to 15 touches a game.

So the fight that has started here in April is not only for the starter's job, but to make it into the rotation, and prove a capable replacement should any other running back get hurt.

And if there's one lasting memory of 2008 for the Denver offense, it is how quickly the lineup of running backs can change. The Broncos started six players at tailback last season, and seven running backs ended their season on injured reserve — including the three holdovers, Hillis (hamstring), Young (groin) and Torain (knee).

McDaniels

VIDEO
Watch video of the Broncos' LaMont Jordan.
was the offensive coordinator at New England last season when the Patriots resorted to starting undrafted rookie BenJarvus Green-Ellis at tailback in three games because of injuries.
"I think Coach McDaniels is really smart," Hillis said. "He prepares for the worst and hopes for the best. We've got a lot of depth at the running back position. Even if we're all switching out every play, or one guy starts and another guy goes out hurt, we always know we have another guy back there to do the job."

Buckhalter, who was the No. 2 back in Philadelphia to Brian Westbrook, is the early favorite to be the Broncos' starter, though Jordan said Saturday he feels he has an advantage now because he played last year with New England.

"I believe in my talent. I'm a true believer that if I'm at my best, then I'm one of the best backs in the league," said Jordan, who is entering his ninth NFL season. "I'm sure Buck thinks the same thing, I'm sure S. Young, I'm sure J.J., I'm sure they all think the same thing. That's what's going to make this running back competition that much better. We all think we can be dominant running backs in the NFL."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12174572
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Let us hope that McDaniels is smart and flexible enough to modified his system vs attempt to recreate NE in Denver.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

That's what I was thinking when I read that too.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
That's what I was thinking when I read that too.
He will, it very spotty reporting by the DP. It looks like they mailed it in this Sunday on the Broncos.

Last edited by elsid13; 04-19-2009 at 06:41 AM..
Old 04-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
He will, it very spotty reporting by the DP. It looks like they mailed it in this Sunday on the Broncos.
Minicamp...what is there to report?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Minicamp...what is there to report?
I was looking for who lined up at LB/DE/DT positions. Was Powell playing, did he look like he was at 325 like some fans were reporting. Did Champ participate at all?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
backup qb
Ring of Famer

Or does Mcdaniels really have horns atop his skull, did the team gather and midfield and flip Cutler the symbolic bird while singing nah nah nah hey hey hey goodbye, etc? Give us what we need DP.
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Jordan believes he is one of the best RB's in the league yet he is in a system where he likely won't see the ball 10 touches a game (if he makes the team). Sounds like a genius.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, the big question is "who is going to record the other teams signals?"
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
backup qb
Ring of Famer

I need to know if Mcdaniels will wear the cut off sleeved hoody?
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

I want to know if our front four is able to handle actual coaching. I wonder if their brains are melting when they are told to try something other than bull rush in a straight line. come on DP!
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
I was looking for who lined up at LB/DE/DT positions. Was Powell playing, did he look like he was at 325 like some fans were reporting. Did Champ participate at all?
Don't expect a lot of accurate news from Broncos practices. Mcdaniels comes from a pretty secretive organization. I doubt he wants all the other teams knowing exactly where Broncos have moved guys. That could tip off other teams to what he will really want in the draft.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
I want to know if our front four is able to handle actual coaching. I wonder if their brains are melting when they are told to try something other than bull rush in a straight line. come on DP!
We have a front 4?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
We have a front 4?
yes! and they are letting them loose this year!
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

So does the article suggest Denver might be looking for a deep ball WR threat like Bey.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #16
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Me too ... 'who lines up where' on defense is of great interest.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote