The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default Plummer to coach quarterbacks

Plummer to coach quarterbacks
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4078255

SANDPOINT, Idaho -- Former NFL quarterback Jake Plummer will be the quarterbacks coach at Sandpoint High School this season, coach Mike Mitchell said.

Plummer, who lives in the resort town, will be paid as a normal assistant coach, Mitchell said.

"It will not be as much as NFL pay," Mitchell said.

A native of Boise, Idaho, Plummer played at Arizona State and for the Arizona Cardinals and Denver Broncos before retiring in 2006. He threw for more than 29,000 yards with 161 touchdowns and 161 interceptions in his decade-long pro career.

Plummer retired to Sandpoint, an outdoor mecca in the Rocky Mountains along the shores of Lake Pend Oreille. His brother, Eric, also lives in the town.

"He wants to help out as much as he can and help the kids of the community," Mitchell said. "He's a great guy."
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

good for him.
Wes Mantooth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Not many may have liked Plummer as our QB, but you cant deny, he's a helluva good guy.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Yea I added to the other Jake thread so not to have two Jake war threads ...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...t=79661&page=5
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Is he gonna teach em to throw with both hands?
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Wow, can you imagine what it would be like if you were a high school QB and Jake Plummer was you coach?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
Where's Plummer???
orton has plummers beard

Orton Is A Team Leader!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Is he gonna teach em to throw with both hands?
i wanna call you a dick for this one but i have to admit i laughed when i read it.. lol
Where's Plummer??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Not many may have liked Plummer as our QB, but you cant deny, he's a helluva good guy.
True enough and pre Cutler I liked his play OK too except for the AFCC game.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Your right, great guy but I wish he just didn't make those "bonehead" plays he was famous for. (drive killers)
Old 04-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Thats awesome! Jake is a stud, and to get coached by an NFL QB would be a great experience.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Your right, great guy but I wish he just didn't make those "bonehead" plays he was famous for. (drive killers)
Kinda like that Cutler red zone interception against Buffalo?

Yeah, those suck.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #12
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
For the record, while goofy... that pass was thrown in a game we won.

Denver scored on its first three possessions, Plummer threw for 230 yards and threw 2 touchdown passes

Denver took the lead back on Elam's 45-yard field goal, then sealed it on Plummer's 2-yard touchdown pass to Patrick Hape.

It's hard for me to think of a less significant play in NFL history that had more meaningless hype around it.

Silly throws? Good lord, these folks must have never watched the great John Elway play. Very different QBs, of course... but John would make throws that left you scratching your head at least once a week.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #13
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
For the record, while goofy... that pass was thrown in a game we won.

Denver scored on its first three possessions, Plummer threw for 230 yards and threw 2 touchdown passes

Denver took the lead back on Elam's 45-yard field goal, then sealed it on Plummer's 2-yard touchdown pass to Patrick Hape.

It's hard for me to think of a less significant play in NFL history that had more meaningless hype around it.

Silly throws? Good lord, these folks must have never watched the great John Elway play. Very different QBs, of course... but John would make throws that left you scratching your head at least once a week.
Its not insignificant at all. Throwing with your opposite hand isnt something that comes natural and for someone do such a thing in such a spastic fit, just goes to show how he was injudicious in a way thats on a totally different level.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:28 AM   #14
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Its not insignificant at all. Throwing with your opposite hand isnt something that comes natural and for someone do such a thing in such a spastic fit, just goes to show how he was injudicious in a way thats on a totally different level.
Again, if you watched Elway play every Sunday (and I'm guessing you didn't) ... you simply wouldn't make statements like that.

It was an attempt to avoid a safety. Silly? Sure. Significant? Of course not. More significant were the results... a few TD passes, including the game-sealing TD drive.... and a win.

The obsession over that throw, as NFL-follies as it may have been, is a real exercise in futility.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:38 AM   #15
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I feel sorry for the head coach. How do you try to tell Jake Plummer that you know more about football than he does?

Also, say what you will about Plummer the QB, but as a person, he's just on his game. He kicks ass.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:00 AM   #16
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

I miss Jake.
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:15 AM   #17
Vladimir
#1 Oregon Broncos fan

Go Ducks!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Dawkins!!

Good for Jake glad to hear he is helping out like that. I always liked him.
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:22 AM   #18
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaximines View Post
I miss Jake.
I've got this sinking feeling we maybe missing Cutler as well in about 2 or 3 years.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #19
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Well at the least the high school QBs won't have to work hard now.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #20
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaximines View Post
I miss Jake.
I do too. And it makes me sick all of these posters, many of whom jumped the OM bandwagon of hate Jake act like they are all cool with him now and no hard feelings.

Hmm. Very similiar two-faced idiots that are part of the OM bandwagon hate Cutler brigade now. ****ing sickening.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #21
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Jake seems like a guy who has never let the stardom of being an NFL player, and a starting QB at that, get in the way of helping out the community--from walking dogs from the pound while in Denver and now this..he seems like a good guy for sure. I'd feel much better with him than with Simms or Orton that's for sure......
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #22
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Well at the least the high school QBs won't have to work hard now.
That's the same thing that I thought. Those kids will probably love it. They won't have a coach who will make them practice the same thing over and over, or push them to give it their all. But on the flip side, they probably won't amount to much because they won't have a coach pushing them to be great.

My high school football/track coach yelled at me everyday for three years. Hell, I'd win races and he'd have some words for me. At the time I didn't understand why he was so pissed. I didn't like it, but looking back, I appreciate it because it helped get me to college. The guy pushed me to be great. I see him often and we joke about those days. Judging from Plummer's comments on Jim Rome's show, he's not going to be doing any of that. They'll probably be playing a lot of handball.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #23
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
That's the same thing that I thought. Those kids will probably love it. They won't have a coach who will make them practice the same thing over and over, or push them to give it their all. But on the flip side, they probably won't amount to much because they won't have a coach pushing them to be great.

My high school football/track coach yelled at me everyday for three years. Hell, I'd win races and he'd have some words for me. At the time I didn't understand why he was so pissed. I didn't like it, but looking back, I appreciate it because it helped get me to college. The guy pushed me to be great. I see him often and we joke about those days. Judging from Plummer's comments on Jim Rome's show, he's not going to be doing any of that. They'll probably be playing a lot of handball.
Do you honestly think that coaching children is on the same plain as coaching grown men who make millions of dollars? Children are more eager to please their coaches than adults are and most are prone to defer to adult authority figures. I bet that Jake was coached up just as you were while growing up--Would you appreciate your boss yelling at you while you were in your 30's? And what Jake stated made sense--why go over 130 plays once or twice when you can perfect the 60 or 70 that you will actually run in the game that are tailored to a particular opponent? Jake is doing great things and the kids will be better for his coaching........
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #24
Where's Plummer???
orton has plummers beard

Orton Is A Team Leader!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

evberyone knows how i feel about plummer!!!
Where's Plummer??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #25
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Again, if you watched Elway play every Sunday (and I'm guessing you didn't) ... you simply wouldn't make statements like that.

It was an attempt to avoid a safety. Silly? Sure. Significant? Of course not. More significant were the results... a few TD passes, including the game-sealing TD drive.... and a win.

The obsession over that throw, as NFL-follies as it may have been, is a real exercise in futility.
Again, until you can come up with an instance where Elway threw a left handed interception, youd have a point. But, as it is, you dont.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote