The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

Herlocker ABatar MOJO

Default Thrilla in Manila ... Hbo . Try to catch it ..

Good stuff , New (2009) ...
On now .
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I've seen it. Frazier is all heart, a true warrior. How many of us would fight Ali near blind? How many of us would be willing to die before giving in to an opponent? I gained a lot of respect for Frazier, and lost a little for Ali. I wasn't born yet, and I got caught up in the retrospect of Ali's great career.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

If they wouldve let Smokin Joe go, we probably wouldve won that fight if he didnt die.

Good show.
spdirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
I've seen it. Frazier is all heart, a true warrior. How many of us would fight Ali near blind? How many of us would be willing to die before giving in to an opponent? I gained a lot of respect for Frazier, and lost a little for Ali. I wasn't born yet, and I got caught up in the retrospect of Ali's great career.
Saw it last week ... pretty sad how Ali painted Joe as an "Uncle Tom."

Such a shame ... Ali was not the man poeple thought he was.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

Herlocker ABatar MOJO

I love documentaries ... This was before i was born as well , and I had seen many shows on this , but Hbo normally is good at sports docs ...

a lot of stuff in there that is sad . Joe was just great and so under remembered and not cared enough about like Ali is ....

The line from that show that so stuck with me is that Joe was the common , hard working good black man that Ali portrayed himself as and was speaking at , even tho Ali had never worked a day in his life and had little in common with average black America ...

Ali may be "considered" the greatest even tho I would say it's Marciano (scoreboard) ... But Joe won the first one , to me the biggest one ...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
The line from that show that so stuck with me is that Joe was the common , hard working good black man that Ali portrayed himself as and was speaking at , even tho Ali had never worked a day in his life and had little in common with average black America ...
Exactly ... and Joe was harassed by black fans who called him "Tom" because of how Ali painted him.

And of course Ali was a serial philanderer. That's hardly a rarity of course, but it is not the Muslim way.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
Malcontent
Life....on tap.

Got Mustard?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chad Mustard

Taped it and will watch on Sunday. I will ignore this thread so as to avoid spoilers..
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It was really good. Ive heard numerous references to how grueling the fight was but never anything like this that drilled into how/why it was so grueling. What I liked about this documentary (among other things) was the range of people they interviewed: Imelda Marcos, Frazier's ring man, Frazier's son, Frazier's traveling companion, his brother, Ferdie Pacheco (Alis fight doctor), the fight judge, Ali's biographer, etc. HBO is great at documentaries.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

I saw this documentary. I also can't believe the grudge that Frazier this holds against Ali. Ali said some nasty things to him but has tried to apologize several times. But Frazier also comes off as a lunatic as well.

It made me sick to see Frazier almost seem proud that Ali has Parkinson's... it like Frazier feels that he did it and is happy about it. Also, Frazier's brother played his voice mail greeting to HBO, and again, he's bashing Ali! Its been decades, and I can't believe he still holds a grudge.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkythefrog View Post
I saw this documentary. I also can't believe the grudge that Frazier this holds against Ali. Ali said some nasty things to him but has tried to apologize several times. But Frazier also comes off as a lunatic as well.

It made me sick to see Frazier almost seem proud that Ali has Parkinson's... it like Frazier feels that he did it and is happy about it. Also, Frazier's brother played his voice mail greeting to HBO, and again, he's bashing Ali! Its been decades, and I can't believe he still holds a grudge.

Fraziers entitled to feel that way. Ali said some pretty disgusting things about Frazier and this was after Frazier went to bat for him. Its probably not enough to think you can wipe it away by simply apologizing.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote