The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--
Default Cutler = Drunk

This is not good. (If you're a Chicago fan.)

http://www.bustedcoverage.com/?p=13850
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Jim McMahon drank a bit i heard.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
buffbronco
Solid Starter

Last edited by buffbronco; 04-17-2009 at 06:57 PM..
buffbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

With all the pics they got of Orton there should plenty to go round for Mr. Cutler.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Orton's not a diabetic. And I haven't heard tell of Chicago losing games due to Orton's drinking, as Cutler purportedly has.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
jayman_37
Seasoned Veteran

When did Cutler lose games because of drinking?
jayman_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Basically road game losses. As he had a curfew..... Can't say for sure how many at home but more than one!

Last edited by theAPAOps5; 04-17-2009 at 07:29 PM..
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

"I'm still the same guy," Orton said. "I'm still a fun guy and like to hang with my teammates. It's not like I'm trying to live in a hole or anything. But [I] certainly have to be careful and not put myself or my family in jeopardy." -Kyle Orton

By David Haugh
September 04, 2008

You still can Google Kyle Orton’s name and see that the first available link is a picture of the Bears’ quarterback holding a whiskey bottle.

You still can find all types of tributes on the Internet immortalizing either Orton’s night life or his neck beard.

You still can conjure up that image of the hard-partying, Jim Morrison-loving quarterback who’s more of a legend around town for throwing down shots of liquor than throwing the football.

Or you can replace past perceptions with present reality. You can accept that Kyle Orton is different from the guy Chicago came to know in 2005, when he was a rookie forced to grow up quickly as the Bears’ starting quarterback.

On the field and off, Orton looks more grown up now.

He looks older, wiser. The way a leader looks.

“He’s 100 percent professional, which is what you want in your quarterback, all about the X’s and O’s,” wide receiver Brandon Lloyd said.

Lloyd and Orton have the same agent. “I’ve gotten to know him off the field, and he’s not that dry. He’s fun,” Lloyd said. “But you don’t want your quarterback out there in the media making a big splash. He’s all football, and that’s what he expects from us.”

Before Orton could expect that approach from teammates, he had to demand it from himself. So he got serious about his profession last year and got married in March. Both developments have played no small part in Orton getting his game together enough to win the starting job over Rex Grossman.

“I’ve learned a lot of stuff, and obviously I’m a different guy from ‘05 in all aspects of my life,” Orton said. “I’m different just like everybody else is three or four years down the road.”

Circumstances demanded a different Orton. Very few people in their early 20s have to worry about their social life being chronicled on Deadspin.com the way Orton did. With NFL celebrity comes responsibility, a fact Orton accepts and understands more now than when he was a few months removed from Purdue’s campus scene.

“I’m still the same guy,” Orton said. “I’m still a fun guy and like to hang with my teammates. It’s not like I’m trying to live in a hole or anything. But [I] certainly have to be careful and not put myself or my family in jeopardy.”

Of more importance to the Bears, that realization helped Orton mature as a player as much as he did as a person. Orton’s teammates electing him an offensive team captain in the days leading up to Sunday’s season opener against the Colts confirmed the overall maturation in him that he and everyone at Halas Hall knew was possible. Not to mention necessary.

“I have a different focus,” Orton said. “I have somebody else to support right now, and obviously my main concern is to support my family, so a lot of things change when that happens.”

Game has grown
As a result, don’t be surprised if Orton changes the way he plays on Sundays too.

He has more confidence in his arm than he did his rookie year. He will make throws he might not have tried three years ago because, well, he can.

The Bears still hope to lean heavily on their defense and a running game, as they did in 2005, when offensive coordinator Ron Turner acknowledged the package for Orton “was limited.” But entering his fourth season in the same offense, including most of the last two with little to do but study its concepts, Orton has a grasp good enough to do more than settle for checkdowns and quick slants.

Not only does Turner hope Orton will be more aggressive downfield, he plans to call plays to ensure it. In other words, the “O Zone” layer protecting the Bears’ passing game has expanded.

“He manages the game very well, and that’s not a negative, but he’s not just a game manager,” Turner said. “We don’t want him to be, either. His rookie year, obviously, the package was limited and we asked him basically to do that. But he has become so much better than that to just have that label.”

One scout evaluating Orton noted a slight hitch in his delivery, on deep passes particularly, that he will have to overcome against NFL defensive backs. Orton’s interception against Cleveland in the Bears’ last exhibition game, when he was hit releasing the ball, was offered as an example of Orton needing to release the ball a split-second faster.

Former Bears quarterback Erik Kramer, who was the color analyst for the Bears’ exhibition games, acknowledged Orton will have to work on “pulling the trigger” a little faster. But Kramer saw enough good signs to believe Orton can make any throw the Bears ask of him.

“People throw around that ‘game manager’ thing, but I think Kyle can develop into a pretty good quarterback,” Kramer said. “The biggest question will be how he handles not having a lot of playmakers around him. Will he expand that comfort zone? My advice to him would be to stick with what you know, stay within your guidelines and don’t try to do too much.”

The only label Orton cares about is “winner.” He takes pride in being 12-6 as a starter, and as much as he enjoys his new freedom to look downfield, his favorite receiver will remain the open one. That much hasn’t changed about Orton from his days at Purdue.

“Plays are called, and if the guys are open, that’s where the ball will go,” Orton said. “If you have a 3-yard pass, if that’s where you’re supposed to throw the ball, that’s where I’m going to throw it. It might not make everybody happy, but that’s where I’m going to throw it.”

It didn’t make all Bears fans happy last winter when general manager Jerry Angelo opted for the Orton-Grossman duel instead of trying to pry Donovan McNabb out of Philadelphia. Others pined for restricted free agent Derek Anderson of the Browns, who was too pricey. The Bears stayed abreast of any and all possibilities involving available veteran quarterbacks, but in the end they opted for solid over spectacular.

They just liked the idea of developing Orton from a fourth-round draft choice pressed into duty as a rookie into a more polished professional capable of making everyone around him better.

“He has gotten some great experience playing and sitting back watching,” Turner said. “Sometimes that can be very valuable, and I think that showed in the intelligence and presence Kyle has naturally with the experience he has acquired.”

Man of convictions
Coping with his experiences in Chicago hasn’t always been easy for Orton.

“There has been a frustration [because] he just wanted a chance to compete for the starting job,” said Kent Horstmann, Orton’s mentor and high school coach in Altoona, Iowa.

Horstmann remains close enough with Orton and his family that he knew how humbled Orton was when he called home earlier this week to tell his parents that he had been named a captain.

“He hung in there,” Horstmann said. “And I never heard him complain.”

That doesn’t mean Horstmann hasn’t heard Orton speak up when something bothers him. In relating the kind of stand-up guy folks in Iowa consider Orton, Horstmann recalled a school board meeting in April.

The Southeast Polk (Iowa) school board had rejected the superintendent’s recommendation to hire Horstmann as its new activities director. At a public meeting called to ask the board to reconsider its position, Orton showed up to speak on Horstmann’s behalf at what was reported locally as the biggest crowd ever for such a meeting.

Orton traveled from Chicago to tell board members that Horstmann “taught me leadership, hard work and respect.”

“That was powerful,” Horstmann said over the phone from his job as activities director. “One thing about Kyle is that he always has done what he has said he’s going to do if it’s something he believes in.”

Making a difference always has appealed to Orton, who has spoken openly about his political aspirations after he’s done playing football. His dad, Byron, was Iowa’s labor commissioner and recently retired after three decades in state government. An Orton family ritual growing up was watching the network news before discussing the day’s events at the dinner table. Thus Orton’s awareness goes well beyond recognizing a blitz on third down.

A confirmed liberal who used to tease Purdue coach Joe Tiller about his leanings toward President Bush, Orton nowadays keeps his convictions a little closer to the vest as he strives to separate the personal and professional aspects of his life.

“Football’s a job, and it’s best to just stick to work and leave everything else out of it,” Orton said. “I’ve learned to do that stuff with my friends and family and leave it at that.”

Still, Orton enjoyed watching last week’s Democratic National Convention, even though he missed Barack Obama accepting his party’s presidential nomination because of the Bears’ exhibition finale in Cleveland. And occasionally, Orton’s social conscience screams too loudly for him to ignore it.

Orton emceed an Earth Day event at Lincoln Park Zoo that combined two of his passions: rock ‘n’ roll and global awareness. A few weeks earlier, Orton also served as a celebrity spokesman for a statewide initiative asking residents to turn off lights for one hour to raise awareness about climate change.

“Let’s make this the next step in turning Chicago into the greenest city in America,” Orton said that day. “Remember, the power of the group is only as powerful as the individual.”

The Bears would agree that Orton is good for the environment.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2...s-sectionsep05

Last edited by HEAV; 04-17-2009 at 07:40 PM..
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Basically road game losses. As he had a curfew..... Can't say for sure how many at home but more than one!
There's been reports on OM about home losses due to his being spotted fully wasted, drinking alone, in the early mornings before games. (Games in which he seemed out of it, allegedly.)
Old 04-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
There's been reports on OM about home losses due to his being spotted fully wasted, drinking alone, in the early mornings before games. (Games in which he seemed out of it, allegedly.)
I know I have stated that. I meant you know for sure which losses weren't after a night of boozing. The road games as he had a curfew.

Sandy Clough on The Fan just today said Shanahan spent more time coaching Jay Cutler about his off the field actions than his on the field. Clough is a borderline Cutler PR employee. But even he says many in the organization were concerned with his issues.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Big City Chi-Town may be Jay's downfall.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
jayman_37
Seasoned Veteran

I guess I never realized he had that big of a problem. How can you go out and get drunk the night before games? We needed him to have a serious girlfriend to slow that stuff down. haha I know that worked for me.
jayman_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

No one is going to tell Jay what to do!

You show 'em, Jay! Booze n' Beetus!
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #14
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman_37 View Post
When did Cutler lose games because of drinking?
The Raiders game. He was wasted the night before and the fumble in the redzone because of a missed hand off was his bad for a mental error. He had a horrible game too. After carving them up on MNF I really doubt they made that many adjustments to beat a Shanahan team at home too.

HEAV is right too; Denverites are willing to look the other way for their heroes...sweep things under the rug. Not in Chi-town. It's already out and will only get worse. I'm convinced he needs help.

Last edited by Kaylore; 04-17-2009 at 07:57 PM..
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #15
garandman
Seasoned Veteran

Your in my sights!

Wtf, WHO CARES!

He is not our problem anymore guys, it doesn't mean it will effect his play... He is a 25 yr old millionaire celebrity, he can live his life, I would even with freakin diabetes.. Now if it comes back to haunt him then that's his problem but this drinking thing is blown way out of proportion.

How does anyone have intimate knowledge of him getting wasted the night before a game

Last edited by garandman; 04-17-2009 at 08:03 PM..
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
Orton's not a diabetic. And I haven't heard tell of Chicago losing games due to Orton's drinking, as Cutler purportedly has.
That's mf'ing slanderous! Just because he's not a Bronco anymore doesn't mean it's okay to roll out this kinda nonsense.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #17
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
The Raiders game. He was wasted the night before and the fumble in the redzone because of a missed hand off was his bad for a mental error. He had a horrible game too. After carving them up on MNF I really doubt they made that many adjustments to beat a Shanahan team at home too.

HEAV is right too; Denverites are willing to look the other way for their heroes...sweep things under the rug. Not in Chi-town. It's already out and will only get worse. I'm convinced he needs help.
Oh my good lord!

Show me one post - ONE post - where you or anybody else said any of this before the Jay-drama or before Mike got canned.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

This thread has possibilities.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #19
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

I have been saying that for a while now. Nobody recognizes a problem drinker like a recovered alcoholic.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #20
Don Flamenco
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffbronco View Post

This is reassuring.

Since I'm gonna be rooting for the guy, feels good to know he bats for the home team. Not saying anything is wrong with being a little funny, and maybe you like to give it, maybe you like to take it up the ass, but one thing's for sure, if it is one or the other, I'm glad the guy aint doing it.
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #21
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Oh my good lord!

Show me one post - ONE post - where you or anybody else said any of this before the Jay-drama or before Mike got canned.
If you are the stud quarterback for the Denver Broncos and are spotted on occasion after occasion drunk and sullen drinking alone in a variety of downtown bars there's a problem there.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #22
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Oh my good lord!

I don't feel like looking them up, but they've been mentioned well before this offseason's fun began.

You're losing your mind, Buff. This cutler thing is consuming you and you can't see past it anymore.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #23
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
If you are the stud quarterback for the Denver Broncos and are spotted on occasion after occasion drunk and sullen drinking alone in a variety of downtown bars there's a problem there.
You just described John Elway, too.

Now back to my question: Show me one post - ONE post - wher somebody said thart before the Jay-drama or Mike was fired.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #24
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:

Now back to my question: Show me one post - ONE post - wher somebody said thart before the Jay-drama or Mike was fired.
The irrational hatred for this guy betrays the fact that the haters know full well what we lost and it's bothering them. Nobody bemoans the loss of an ugly girlfriend now do they? Get dumped by the prom queen and it's a different story.

Believe me...if Kyle Orton doesn't light this place on fire the same Cutler haters pimping him as the answer will turn on him in a moment.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #25
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:

Elway drank sitting alone at the bar? No he was known to party with his team mates, big difference!