The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Breaker
Bleeding Orange and Blue

Default OT - Susan Boyle: Britains Got Talent

I know that this has been circulating around the internet for a couple weeks now, however I am not sure that everyone who should see this video actually has seen it. The ladies name is Susan Boyle and she appeared on Britain"s Got Talent with Simon Cowell as a judge. If you have not seen this it is truly must see tv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
Breaker
Bleeding Orange and Blue

Bump
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
kelinsky1
Broncfreak

She was not really met with, shall we say 'open arms', because of her looks.
But boy did that change after she started singing. What a voice.
kelinsky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Ive had to listen/watch this in my office about 348953893458934578358938957348953485839 times
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I thought it was cute because everyone expected her to suck. However she's not that amazing of a singer. If she looked good they'd say she was average.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Meck77

I don't see what all the fuss is about. I guess it's because her face doesn't match the voice. Shrug.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
she's not that amazing of a singer.
Agreed. Very average voice. Can hold a tune just fine but I've seen many an average singer have that type of vanilla voice. There's a reason why she never went onto because a professional singer.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
prunch
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

classic underdog story ... fabulous
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I thought it was cute because everyone expected her to suck. However she's not that amazing of a singer. If she looked good they'd say she was average.
When I saw the video I asked myself if she was truly that great or if the response and subsequent hype was driven by the backstory and by her exceeding everyone's expectations.

I watched it again to be sure and concluded that she has a good voice that's better than 99% of the no-talent acts that try out for these sorts of shows -- but it just isn't really all that special compared to actual professional singers. YouTube also has a clip of the woman who sang that song in the Broadway production and to my ear she is a lot better than Susan Boyle.

Props to Susan for having the guts to put herself out there and she does have a nice voice. Beyond that it's hype over substance.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

You're all missing the point.

Never had a date, never been kissed, 47 years old, lives in Scotland, has a house with a basement.

It's Boob's dream date, a perfect match.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Agreed. Very average voice. Can hold a tune just fine but I've seen many an average singer have that type of vanilla voice. There's a reason why she never went onto because a professional singer.
What is it about the human psyche thats lends itself towards negativity and hate? We are such digusting creatures, all of us.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
crawdad
IL Oldest Bronco Maniac

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

Give it a break guys. This woman is living her dream and was impressive. Stop raining on her parade. It was a heart-warming performance and that is what the world needs theses days...Good news!
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
Broncobuddy7
\m/ >< \m/

For some of you

I thought she was really impressive. But I still don't get all the hype.
Broncobuddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
When I saw the video I asked myself if she was truly that great or if the response and subsequent hype was driven by the backstory and by her exceeding everyone's expectations.

I watched it again to be sure and concluded that she has a good voice that's better than 99% of the no-talent acts that try out for these sorts of shows -- but it just isn't really all that special compared to actual professional singers. YouTube also has a clip of the woman who sang that song in the Broadway production and to my ear she is a lot better than Susan Boyle.
Props to Susan for having the guts to put herself out there and she does have a nice voice. Beyond that it's hype over substance.
Maybe some of that is down to the 15 years or more of voice training and dramatics under her belt.

What you just heard was a 47 year old untrained voice. Who the **** knows what could be done with that given the right training, albeit age is likely against her in terms of professionalism but I will tell you this. A young girl sang on that show last year and actually never won it but has now had the fastest selling operatic debut album ever in the UK and she will be global.

Furthermore that song was also performed live in front of 4000 people, more than likely the most Miss Boyle's ever sang in front of is 100 on a Sunday.

You cannot compare that to anything professional, not yet and certainly not until she gets the opportunity to perform that way if she ever does.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #15
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobuddy7 View Post
I thought she was really impressive. But I still don't get all the hype.
The hype comes from the old saying.

Never judge a book by the cover.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #16
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
Maybe some of that is down to the 15 years or more of voice training and dramatics under her belt.

What you just heard was a 47 year old untrained voice. Who the **** knows what could be done with that given the right training, albeit age is likely against her in terms of professionalism but I will tell you this. A young girl sang on that show last year and actually never won it but has now had the fastest selling operatic debut album ever in the UK and she will be global.

Furthermore that song was also performed live in front of 4000 people, more than likely the most Miss Boyle's ever sang in front of is 100 on a Sunday.

You cannot compare that to anything professional, not yet and certainly not until she gets the opportunity to perform that way if she ever does.
You're forgetting the all important van of sound equipment making people sound better than they are. Most of the rich bastards we call musicians can't even sing.

This lady can sing and the harshest talent critic on the planet agrees with that sentiment. He already signed her to his record label after hearing her audition.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #17
KansasBronco
Pro Bowler

Thanks for posting this. I had never seen it. That was awesome.

Rob
KansasBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #18
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
The hype comes from the old saying.

Never judge a book by the cover.
Yup, overcoming all that initial scepticism and sarcasm from everyone there based upon her looks and the pre singing exchange was the story. That was the real triumph.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
This lady can sing and the harshest talent critic on the planet agrees with that sentiment. He already signed her to his record label after hearing her audition.
Simon Cowell is a genius at marketing above all else. He signs acts who will sell, not necessarily those who are most talented - there is a distinction. Based on the interest this last week, Susan Boyle will sell, for sure.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

yeah her performance blew my mind. She truly has a rare voice. What control of her vibrato, and what tone in the lower register. Then she effortlessly pushes her range up where most women would be sweating and really having to try hard.

Unfrigginbelievable what a great voice this women has.

Very cool she got her chance to show the world.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
You're forgetting the all important van of sound equipment making people sound better than they are. Most of the rich bastards we call musicians can't even sing.

In pop music, in rock music yes. In opera, classical, jazz there is no hiding lack of musicianship. I don't care what gadgets you have no equipment could make a crap singer sound like this lady did.

True you can use harmonizers, gadgets that change the tuning, reverb, overdubbs, more then one vocal track etc etc to make crap pop singers sound decent. The reason is the notes and rhythms of pop and rock, the chords used, the range demanded, is just so much more in classical or Jazz singing.

You are spot on though, this ladies voice is epic, it needs no help from electronics.

I gotta say her voice moved me and reminded me of a top notch Broadway voice. I've heard a lot of people sing and I think she is probably one of the best voices I have heard.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #22
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I thought she was a fine singer. I can't believe anybody could call her voice average. She's got some above average range, and best of all the crystal clear tonal quality of it is absolutely superb. There are few professional singers who have such clear tone. And this is just her in front of an audience for a one time shot. I can only imagine how much better she can get with practice singing in front of audiences.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I thought she was a fine singer. I can't believe anybody could call her voice average. She's got some above average range, and best of all the crystal clear tonal quality of it is absolutely superb. There are few professional singers who have such clear tone. And this is just her in front of an audience for a one time shot. I can only imagine how much better she can get with practice singing in front of audiences.
We don't know her range yet. Seemed to me she had plenty left if she wanted to. What I was impressed with was how crisply and smoothly she went from phrase to phrase, and her breath control. Seemed very easy for her.

Also her dynamics were really good. She didn't overstate the vibrato, or make the loud passages too loud, soft passages to soft. Many amateur singers in an effort to be emotional, have dynamics, they over do it. Pretty much all the pop singers do that IMO.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #24
BBB1980
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Marshal

Yes she is amazing if you have ever seen this Musical and know just how difficult the song is the you would understand the hype. There is now a 2nd song out that she did for a charity recording in 1999 and the woman has pipes and can sing.
BBB1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #25
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

I'll say this much. Boyle can out-sing this crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mVEGfH4s5g
orangeatheist is offline   Reply With Quote