The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden
Default The Official Unofficial Broncos Two-Year Rebuilding Plan (LONG Read)

I am a big Mark Sanchez fan. I am also willing to admit that my perception of him is a little biased since he is, like myself Mexican-American. BTW I prefer the terms Chicano or Latino. Anyways I really want to see Sanchez succeed and as long as he doesn't end up with the Raiders, Chiefs or Chargers (very highly unlikely) I will be rooting for him. So nothing would be more convenient than if he ended up being a Denver Bronco.

That being said, I am not the biggest fan of trading up to get him. I have to take off my Latino pride goggles and go back to thinking rationally. It would take one of our thirds to get up to #8. This would essentially turn our Cutler trade into Kyle Orton, Mark Sanchez, and a #1 pick next year. A below average starting QB, a rookie QB, and the equivalent of a 2nd round pick this year is not good value for a 25 year old pro bowl QB.

To be frank, I do not believe in Kyle Orton. I want to but before he became a Bronco I viewed him as one of the worst starting QB's in the league. I can only let my homerism change my opinion of him so much. For a few months now I thought Mark Sanchez was the best QB in this class. I didn't go around stating that opinion because I thought it was my Latino bias. But now I've heard numerous analysts agree with me. Mike Mayock, Tim Hasselbeck, Trent Dilfer even called him the best player in this draft regardless of position.

In summary I feel like a franchise QB is very important. It sucks that we lost ours but we have to move forward. Kyle Orton is NOT a franchise QB. I believe Mark Sanchez IS a franchise QB. So if we have to trade a 3rd to go up and get him I believe it would be worth it. We start Orton this year and let Sanchez come in as our starting QB next year.

I also think #18 if he is there, you have to take Knowshon Moreno. Just hear me out. Knowshon Moreno and Mark Sanchez both fit our new offense to a T. Yes we have a horrible defense. But we are transitioning to an entirely new scheme that requires different type of players. I feel like NT is an obvious need. Other than that we don't know how guys like Marcus Thomas, Kenny Peterson, or Carlton Powell will transition to DE. We don't know how guys like Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Moss, D.J. Williams, Boss Bailey, Spencer Larsen, and Wesley Woodyard will transition to 3-4 LB's. I feel like we will be able to evaluate these players much more accurately after they play a season in our new scheme.

Assuming the Broncos did this, trading #12 and #79 for #8 to select Sanchez. Then select Knowshon Moreno at #18. We would still have 7 picks to take defensive players. Then after a year of evaluating our defense we well have another draft to continue rebuilding that defense. Sanchez will be ready to come and start for the youngest, most dangerous offense in the league. We will have a young improving defense. Here are my 2009 and 2010 mock Broncos drafts.

2009 (Used PFW's value board based on polling NFL teams)
#8 - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
#18 - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
(Traded #48 and Tony Sheffler to Lions for #33)
#33 - Larry English, OLB, N. Illinois
#84 - Victor "Macho" Harris, CB, Virginia Tech
#114 - Jasper Brinkley, ILB, S. Carolina
#149 - Mitch King - DE, Iowa
#185 - Chris Baker, NT, Hampton
#225 - Jose Martinez, K, UTEP
#235 - Aaron Perez, P, UCLA

2010 (Used Walter football 2010 prospect rankings)
#1A - Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
#1B - Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama
#2 - Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama
#3 - John Estes, C, Hawaii
#4 - Jaoby Ford, WR/KR, Clemson
#5 - Juice Williams, QB/WR, Illinois
#6 - Dedrick Epps, TE, Miami
#7 - Jeff Byers, G, USC

2010 Broncos 53 Man Depth Chart
QB - Mark Sanchez/Chris Simms/Juice Williams
RB - Knowshon Moreno/Correll Buckhalter/Ryan Torain/J.J. Arrington
FB/H-Back - Peyton Hillis/Jeb Putzier
WR - Brandon Marshall/Jabar Gaffney/Darrell Jackson/Juice Williams
WR - Eddie Royal/Brandon Stokley/Jacoby Ford
TE - Daniel Graham/Jeb Putzier/Dedrick Epps
LT - Ryan Clady/Tyler Polumbus
LG - Kory Lichtensteiger/Matt McChesney
C - John Estes/Jeff Byers
RG - Ryan Kuper/Jeff Byers
RT - Ryan Harris/Tyler Polumbus

DE - Mitch King/Kenny Peterson
NT - Terrance Cody/Carlton Powell/Chris Baker
DE - Marcus Thomas/Darrell Reid
OLB - Larry English/Boss Bailey
ILB - D.J. Williams/Andra Davis
ILB - Jasper Brinkley/Spencer Larsen
OLB - Elvis Dumervil/Jarvis Moss
CB - Champ Bailey/Javier Arenas/Jack Williams
FS - Eric Berry/Renaldo Hill
SS - Brian Dawkins/Josh Barrett
CB - Macho Harris/Andre Goodman/Josh Bell

K - Jose Martinez
P - Aaron Perez
KR - Jacoby Ford
PR - Macho Harris
Wildcat QB - Juice Williams
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Aside from spending the first two picks on offense, my biggest problem is that there is no way whatsoever Mt. Cody lasts to the Bears pick next year.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

So you want to evaluate the current scrubs along the front 7 while putting aside Orton to start Sanchez as a rookie?

All while in the next two drafts we select 1 LB and 1 DL in the first three rounds?

GTF outta here.
fontaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

He's going for the all Mexican team I guess.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

As a proud Chicano I like Sanchez a lot, but as a Bronco fan, I don't see us making this move. I am not much of a Orton fan, but I think that the Bears uber conservative offense didn't play to his skill set. I like we will draft a QB this year, but not until the 3rd or 4th round. It is a matter of history. Belicheat doesn't draft QB high in the draft, McD will not draft QB high in the Draft. I would much rather pick at 12, Rey Maualuga. See who is there at 18, possibly trade down, get an additional 3rd + 5th, get BPA there. In the 2nd I want Sidbury, he is a faster Larry English. In the 3rd I like we hit the offensive holes hard. We get a Rashard Jennings, McGee, and Caldwell.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Since people get all hung up on Jimmy Johnson's draft pick value chart and how he said you devalue future picks, you need to remember 1 thing: You do not devalue future 1sts, you devalue all other other rounds. He has said that on more than 1 occasion, and people never seem to remember that part. I will take the risk any day that by giving up a 2nd this year, I might end up with the 32nd pick when I've got a chance for the pick to also be the Top 10 next year with the pick I get in return.

Denver has Dallas' 5th in '10.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
KS Bronco
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steven Johnson

we need defense, enough said
KS Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 AM   #8
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo15 View Post
I am a big Mark Sanchez fan. I am also willing to admit that my perception of him is a little biased since he is, like myself Mexican-American. BTW I prefer the terms Chicano or Latino. Anyways I really want to see Sanchez succeed and as long as he doesn't end up with the Raiders, Chiefs or Chargers (very highly unlikely) I will be rooting for him. So nothing would be more convenient than if he ended up being a Denver Bronco.

That being said, I am not the biggest fan of trading up to get him. I have to take off my Latino pride goggles and go back to thinking rationally. It would take one of our thirds to get up to #8. This would essentially turn our Cutler trade into Kyle Orton, Mark Sanchez, and a #1 pick next year. A below average starting QB, a rookie QB, and the equivalent of a 2nd round pick this year is not good value for a 25 year old pro bowl QB.

To be frank, I do not believe in Kyle Orton. I want to but before he became a Bronco I viewed him as one of the worst starting QB's in the league. I can only let my homerism change my opinion of him so much. For a few months now I thought Mark Sanchez was the best QB in this class. I didn't go around stating that opinion because I thought it was my Latino bias. But now I've heard numerous analysts agree with me. Mike Mayock, Tim Hasselbeck, Trent Dilfer even called him the best player in this draft regardless of position.

In summary I feel like a franchise QB is very important. It sucks that we lost ours but we have to move forward. Kyle Orton is NOT a franchise QB. I believe Mark Sanchez IS a franchise QB. So if we have to trade a 3rd to go up and get him I believe it would be worth it. We start Orton this year and let Sanchez come in as our starting QB next year.

I also think #18 if he is there, you have to take Knowshon Moreno. Just hear me out. Knowshon Moreno and Mark Sanchez both fit our new offense to a T. Yes we have a horrible defense. But we are transitioning to an entirely new scheme that requires different type of players. I feel like NT is an obvious need. Other than that we don't know how guys like Marcus Thomas, Kenny Peterson, or Carlton Powell will transition to DE. We don't know how guys like Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Moss, D.J. Williams, Boss Bailey, Spencer Larsen, and Wesley Woodyard will transition to 3-4 LB's. I feel like we will be able to evaluate these players much more accurately after they play a season in our new scheme.

Assuming the Broncos did this, trading #12 and #79 for #8 to select Sanchez. Then select Knowshon Moreno at #18. We would still have 7 picks to take defensive players. Then after a year of evaluating our defense we well have another draft to continue rebuilding that defense. Sanchez will be ready to come and start for the youngest, most dangerous offense in the league. We will have a young improving defense. Here are my 2009 and 2010 mock Broncos drafts.

#7 - Jeff Byers, G, USC

K - Jose Martinez
P - Aaron Perez
KR - Jacoby Ford
PR - Macho Harris
I am a European-American, But i prefer to be called a Viking Warrior.. But on a serious note. You have to consider Sanchez as what he is. A one year starter who has a 50/50 shot of succeding in the NFL. He comes from a college team that is loaded with talent. I personally see Sanchez career following in the foot steps of Lienart. Rather then Carson Palmer.

Kyle Orton is NOT a franchise QB although i think he is a solid starter who had a HORRIBLE surrounding cast in Chicago. Where he put up solid stats. With some actual talent around him and a possible running game(will we select a RB that high?) I can see him being solid. He is a great game manager that wont wow you but will get the job done. I cannot predict sucess but i'd put a wager on Orton that he would be solid this year.

I think we would be very lucky at this point if we were able to get a wiff of Moreno at the 12 spot. How do you feel he will fit in this offense?

We have seen glimpses of the 3-4 defense over the course of two years here in Denver. I am less then impressed, I mean seriously how can you feel that Denver which probably had the worst defense i have seen from a nfl team in some time. To be able to turn everything around and become solid.

Thomas was less then impressive in a 4-3 UT role something that he is supposed to excell at.

Carlton Powell is a major unknown. Who has a better chance of washing out then suceeding.

Peterson seems to understand the concept of 3-4 defense better then any of the bunch but i still have serious questions about him.

I personally feel that we need to build the D at all costs. If the best available is a offensive player i understand but we have all seen what a good offense does with NO DEFENSE.

I am alright with your Draft minus Sanchez. I like English, Moreno, Harris and Macho are good selections but how versitile are they. How well can Brinkley play special teams. Overall its a solid draft.

2010 Eric Berry is for real but will he come out? I would rather have Bradford next year who i feel would be awesome in this offense. pretty much runs the same O in Oklahoma.

Cody is a big body, but i have questions about his durabiliity. If he can stay healthy this year. And dominant on D. I'm for it. I also like alot of the DT's next year and i also thing Suh actually might be able to play 3-4 NT with a little added weight.

I think you are correct that Chad Jackson will not make the roster.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:59 AM   #9
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

as a proud African American, i support Kyle Orton 100%...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

As a proud Norwegian-American I too prefer to be called a viking warrior and I don't understand the Orton hate.

In college he was a potential Heisman contender before he missed a couple games from a few dings. He won games. Started in multiple Bowl games.

He started as a rookie because of injuries and won 10 games to get the Bears into the playoffs.

They then went back to Grossman, because he was a first round pick the year before, for the playoffs and lost.

Now, Orton didn't have a killer statistical year. He was a rookie after all and it was the Bears. Not exactly the formula for an offensive powerhouse.

After that he pretty much didn't get to play at all until last year where he started out gangbusters and then got dinged and the team fell apart.

In the NFL he won games, even as a rookie, and pretty much got screwed over by his bosses. One day hes the starting QB and winning games the next he's the third string QB and there are no bad games or stretches of losses between the two events. It just happened.

The guy doesn't have the physical talent of Cutler. But he won under those circumstances and he won in Chicago. Chicago is not a powerhouse franchise. Offensively they have been bad for decades. If he can get results out of that mess I'm sure he can get results here.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

#7 - Jeff Byers, G, USC

K - Jose Martinez
P - Aaron Perez
KR - Jacoby Ford
PR - Macho Harris
At least you put some thought into it, unfortunately I think you are entirely wrong.

Here is the deal, we have the worst defense and special teams combined in the league. No other team is worse on those two units combined than we are. If we go ahead and spend a ton of resources on the offense, we will at best still be 8-8 which is not good enough.

By sending Cutler out of town and refusing to give him special treatment, it is very clear that Mcdaniels believes we can win with a QB who is not among the best in the league, which means that we have to upgrade the defense. Teams who win with average QBs always have top defenses like the Steelers, Giants, Ravens etc.

The other main mistake you make is to believe that we are rebuilding. We have what is largely believed to be the best young offensive line in football, the best WR duo at 25 or younger, we had the best QB under 25 and our TE position is in the top 10. That unit just needed to mature a little and the RB position needed to be changed. There was never a need to rebuild that unit and there still isn't.

We need to build up the defense by adding talent at all levels. I am fairly certain that if we go with your 2009 draft we will be in the bottom 5 teams for total defense, we will at most have 1 defensive rookie play significant time as anyting other than an injury replacement and we will lose a lot of games.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #12
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

103 post rule.

telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #13
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

My gut feeling is that McD will draft a QB this year, but not until the third or later rounds. McD comes from a system where the Pats were able to find QB talent late in the draft. Brady was a 6th rounder. Cassel was a 7th rounder.

Reminds me a little of the way Shanny felt he had an eye for a certain type of tailback who fit his system. Maybe McD feels the same way about QBs. We all tend to be biased in terms of things where we've had some past success.

Put another way, McD might be looking for certain raw materials in a "system-type QB" that other teams wouldn't value as much. What exactly that is, I don't know.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #14
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
So you want to evaluate the current scrubs along the front 7 while putting aside Orton to start Sanchez as a rookie?

All while in the next two drafts we select 1 LB and 1 DL in the first three rounds?

GTF outta here.
My thoughts exactly. Jeez! thats bad!
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #15
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

gyldenlove - "By sending Cutler out of town and refusing to give him special treatment, it is very clear that Mcdaniels believes we can win with a QB who is not among the best in the league"

You just stated the problem, make that arrogance, of our new head coach very succinctly.
OrangeRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #16
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

A QB and a RB with our top two selections? Believe it or not, RB is not the problem...we cant STOP anybody, so you would think defense would be a better option.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #17
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

McDaniel's decided that his uber-qb skillz is enough to transform my grandmother as the next QB of the Denver Broncos. That's fine with me, let's let him try it. Either Orton works, and mcDaniel's idea that player skill doesn't matter, just his all-magic system does.

I am fine with him getting the players he wants for his system. I am not okay with him pairing or even using one of the first rounders on a QB. That wasn't broken until he broke it.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #18
Where's Plummer???
orton has plummers beard

Orton Is A Team Leader!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

[QUOTE=Broncos_OTM;2384028]I am a European-American, But i prefer to be called a Viking Warrior.. QUOTE]

LMAO!!!! i prefer Cullen Sking instead of That Scottish guy...
Where's Plummer??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #19
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
At least you put some thought into it, unfortunately I think you are entirely wrong.

Here is the deal, we have the worst defense and special teams combined in the league. No other team is worse on those two units combined than we are. If we go ahead and spend a ton of resources on the offense, we will at best still be 8-8 which is not good enough.

By sending Cutler out of town and refusing to give him special treatment, it is very clear that Mcdaniels believes we can win with a QB who is not among the best in the league, which means that we have to upgrade the defense. Teams who win with average QBs always have top defenses like the Steelers, Giants, Ravens etc.

The other main mistake you make is to believe that we are rebuilding. We have what is largely believed to be the best young offensive line in football, the best WR duo at 25 or younger, we had the best QB under 25 and our TE position is in the top 10. That unit just needed to mature a little and the RB position needed to be changed. There was never a need to rebuild that unit and there still isn't.

We need to build up the defense by adding talent at all levels. I am fairly certain that if we go with your 2009 draft we will be in the bottom 5 teams for total defense, we will at most have 1 defensive rookie play significant time as anyting other than an injury replacement and we will lose a lot of games.
excellent post...
Old 04-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #20
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

I think a lot of you missed the purpose of this plan. First of all many of you are focusing way too much on the Latino thing. I was jus trying to be honest that I want him to succeed so I would love to see him in a Broncos uniform. Which BTW, is a huge economic gain for Pat Bowlen. A large part of Broncos fan base is Latino. Hell the city of Denver is majority Latino. Jersey sales would be huge. Should this factor into deciding on drafting him? Hell no! But it definitely is an added plus for a Broncos fan base that is not happy with our current situation.

Second of all, I never talked about starting Mark Sanchez his rookie year. I thought I made it clear Orton woud start this year and Sanchez would be the starting QB next year.

Finally, my main objective of this draft was to show that we wouldn't be royally ****ed if we went all offense in round one. We are not winning any Super Bowls this year or next anyways.

I hope Kyle Orton does well, but if he does not which I am anticipating, we will likely go QB early next year in the draft. Some of you are talking of getting Sam Bradford. He's gonna be the #1 pick so unless we are the worst team in the league we will likely have to package BOTH of our first rounders just to get him. I would much rather spend #12 and #79 this year to get a franchise QB. Not to mention Sanchez would have a full season to learn the offense and develop under McDaniels before he would be thrown into the fire.
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #21
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
I think a lot of you missed the purpose of this plan. First of all many of you are focusing way too much on the Latino thing.
trust me when i tell you that no one missed your point...we're just joshin with ya...havin a lil fun...

if you haven't notice already, the Orange Mane (me included) tend to be pretty sarcastic, esp with new posters that start threads...we all think we're comedians...

with that said, i disagree with your idea to go after Sanchez...

and i do so as a proud African American...
Old 04-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #22
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

We poked fun at the Latino thing because we find it irrelevant. You're Latino. Congratulations. That will not make us like or hate your or your argument.

We know from past experience that ignoring the defense will do nothing but **** us over. We have offensive talent. We can get by with a smart QB who works hard. Look what we did with Plummer and most people would not consider him a smart QB or a film study junkie.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #23
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Whenever I hear the term Mexican-American this always pops into my mind.

SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #24
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

trading away Cutler and then taking a QB in one of the returned picks completely nullifies the "thinking" aspect of the trade and makes it an ego trade...that being said, I don't mind the Moreno pick at #18...the guy can catch out of the backfield, and he is a straight ahead, off tackle runner that we could REALLY use....

at worst he's Kevin Faulk and at best he's Micheal Turner....
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #25
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

heres mine, use every draft pick this year on defense and evaluate next year.. your plan also has us resigning everybody and signing nobody
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote