The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default What is your favorite coffee?

What is your favorite method of brewing
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

I like Pete's French Roast whole beans that I grind and use a French press for brewing. No sugar with a splash of half & Half.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I've thought about buying a french press...are they easy to use? I also like 1/2 and 1/2 no sugar.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I really like:
Attached Images

SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

I love the intensity of coffee from a French Press, especially this Caribou brand I buy, but it can be too much work early in a work day, so I just brew from a Mr. Coffee Brewmaster most days.

French Press does make the most of the coffee oils though.
OrangeRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Isn't that stuff about 35 dollars a lb
Old 04-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #7
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
I've thought about buying a french press...are they easy to use? I also like 1/2 and 1/2 no sugar.
Easy as pouring hot water.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I really like:
What would you compare it to? Is it a full flavored coffee like French roast?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

Sassy - "Isn't that stuff about 35 dollars a lb"

No, no. I order it on-line at about $11 a lb, and much less expensive when on special (which is often).

More often than not, I mix the Caribou with Folgers or Maxwell House to add some smoothness to the brew.

My God, store-shelf coffees have gotten bad recently, even as prices go up.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Folgers and Maxwell house...UGH!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

I get my coffee beans from Cuba and prepare it expresso style.

It's like crack, gets you really jacked up.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #12
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
What would you compare it to? Is it a full flavored coffee like French roast?
Heck, I am not a coffee expert, I just like how it tastes.

Here is a summary I found:

Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee or Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee is a classification of coffee grown in the Blue Mountains of Jamaica. The best lots of Blue Mountain coffee are noted for their mild flavor and lack of bitterness. Over the last several decades, this coffee has developed a reputation that has made it one of the most expensive and sought-after coffees in the world. In addition to its use for brewed coffee, the beans are the flavor base of Tia Maria coffee liqueur.

and

The Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is considered to be the world's finest and rarest coffee variant. Words cannot describe the taste of this premier coffee blend.

A 100% Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee has this distinctively rich taste and aroma. Compared to other coffee variants, this has a milder flavor which is less bitter yet a little sweet, giving it that smooth, clean taste.

Because of the high quality expected of this coffee variant, the island country of Jamaica built the Jamaican Coffee Industry Board to maintain the world-class quality of every coffee bean produced in the island.

The tedious and time-consuming labor of coffee growers in planting, harvesting and processing the Blue Mountain coffee is truly amazing.

The Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is indeed a world-class variant that coffee enthusiasts around the world can sip and enjoy - up to the last drop.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 04-15-2009 at 11:05 PM..
Old 04-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I like Coffee Bean out here in LA. I use french press though too cuz its real easy
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

http://www.bluemountaincoffee.com/OrderCoffee.cfm

16 oz Roasted Whole Beans

(Starting at $38.00 delivered in Continental US) Grade I, export quality Blue Mountain Coffee flat beans are roasted in small batches to ensure freshness upon delivery. Jamaica reserves its best Grade I green coffee beans for export and ships them in wooden barrels. The coffee beans are certified by the Coffee Industry Board as 100% Jamaica Blue Mountain®. We launch their unique characteristics when we roast the coffee.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #15
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

Sassy - "Folgers and Maxwell house...UGH!"

I couldn't agree more, but if you add some premium blend to the mix, you can improve it considerably.

I tried purchasing some Starbucks beans, and Millstone and a variety of so-called in-store premium beans, but none even approached the taste of Caribou.

8 O'Clock is excellent in bean form for the French Press as well. It's the only in-store coffee I can stand on it's own. It's quite good.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #16
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Isn't that stuff about 35 dollars a lb
You talking about the Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee?

I always bring a bunch back when I go there....it is a lot cheaper to buy it there.

They also give you a bunch of it in the villa I stay in, so I take that with me as well.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #17
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

A Brief History of Coffee
There are numerous myths and legends dating to ancient times that attempt to explain the discovery of the coffee plant. While historians may never agree on where coffee was first cultivated or who first discovered it, it is believed that the coffee plant first appeared in the regions of Yemen (South Arabia) and the Abyssinian region of Kaffa (Ethiopia). It appears that the various cultures in these regions used the coffee plant in different ways, including crushing the bean and mixing it with animal fat as a food, using the bean to make a beverage, and for medicinal purposes.

By the eleventh century, coffee drinking had become an important part of the Muslim culture. The Koran's prohibition on alcoholic beverages gave coffee a special place in Muslim religious rituals. By the sixteenth century, coffee had been introduced to the European ports of Venice and Marseilles and was known as "Arabian Wine."

While records indicate that coffee was available to American Colonists as early as 1668, it was not until after the British Crown Stamp Act of 1765 that coffee became America's beverage of choice. That Act led to the Boston Tea Party and a tea boycott that ultimately resulted in the Continental Congress declaring coffee to be the national beverage in 1774. Today, the United States imports over $4 billion in coffee annually! Internationally, coffee is now the second largest traded commodity after oil. Over 20 million people worldwide are employed in this industry.1

Bean Varieties

While there are more than 50 species of coffee, two species, Coffea arabica and Coffea robusta are most prevalent. Coffea arabica is a coffee plant species that generates beans used in gourmet blends. The finest arabicas are derived from elevations above 4,000 feet, but are more often grown with great success above 2,000 feet. Even though 75 percent of world coffee production uses arabica beans, only ten percent qualify as "specialty coffee." Dunn Bros Coffee roasts only high-quality Arabica beans.

Robusta is a large, hearty plant that generates a lower grade bean. (Only 5 percent of robusta beans are regarded as excellent.) Robusta beans contain nearly twice the amount of caffeine as arabica beans. These beans are primarily used to make water soluble (instant) coffees and inexpensive blended coffees. Robusta plants are less particular about climate, altitude and terrain than arabica, and they are more resistant to diseases, making them easier to grow and maintain.

Coffee Plants
The coffee bean itself is actually the seed of a fruit tree. The coffee tree initially produces white blossoms that last for only three days. Six to nine months later, a green berry appears. As the berry ripens, it eventually turns to a yellow and then red color. Inside each ripe, red cherry are two coffee beans (seeds) that are round or oval in shape, each with one flat side—the exception to this is the "peaberry," which occurs about ten percent of the time and produces a single bean. Each plant produces about 3,000 cherries annually (about one pound of coffee). A new coffee plant takes approximately five years to produce its first crop.

Coffee plants are grown in about 70 countries throughout the world and are found between 25 degrees north to 30 degrees south of the equator. The optimum conditions for growing coffee plants are: high elevations (2,000 to 5,000 feet), volcanic soil, moderate rainfall, temperatures between 60 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit, and a balance of sunshine and shade.

Harvesting and Processing Beans

Picking
Harvesting high quality arabica coffee is a very labor-intensive process because cherries on the same plant may ripen at different times. Beans must be handpicked in a process known as "selective picking," meaning pickers harvest only the ripe cherries. Pickers may have to harvest the same tree up to eight times in a single season to ensure that the cherries are picked at the height of ripeness. An experienced picker can harvest about 200 pounds of cherries daily (40 pounds of roasted coffee). Often, all the cherries of the lesser quality robusta, and some Brazilian coffee plants, are picked at the same time. This results in unripe and overripe cherries being picked along with the ripe cherries.

Pulping
Once the cherries have been picked, the green beans are separated from the outside layers of the cherry. This process is called pulping and needs to be performed as quickly as possible after the cherries have been picked to avoid spoilage. Either the "dry" method or the "washed" or "wet" method is used to process the cherries.

Milling

Wet Method
The "wet" method is primarily used with higher quality arabicas. It is a more expensive process as it is more complex and requires a great deal of water. In this classic method, first the outer layer is gently removed by a "pulping" machine. The next step, called fermentation, is a process of allowing natural bacteria to dissolve away any fruit that may remain on the bean. There are a few types of fermentation:

Wet fermentation: The beans are soaked in water for many hours to aid in the growth of the natural bacteria
Dry fermentation: No water is added to the beans, rather they are allowed to ferment in their own juices.
Aquapulping: A mechanical process used in arid climates which uses much less water and eliminates the need for fermentation.

Following fermentation or aquapulping, the beans are dried on large concrete patios or elevated drying beds. Depending on the weather, the drying can take up to several days. During the drying process, the beans are constantly raked or hand stirred to ensure even drying and to prevent any build up of microorganisms. In some countries, like Africa, defective beans are sorted out by hand at or near the end of the drying process.

Dry Method
The "dry" method (sometimes referred to as naturals or unwashed) involves picking the beans from the plant and simply allowing them to dry in the sun naturally on large drying patios. This method of drying can take up to three weeks. Once fully dried, millstones or machines are used to remove the husk. The "dry" method is most commonly used in regions that lack an adequate water supply.

Pulped Naturals
Most commonly found in Brazil and certain parts of Indonesia, this method is similar to the "wet" method. The main difference occurs after the removal of the outer skin, where the second layer of sticky fruit is allowed to dry on the bean. Once dried, the fruit and the parchment underneath are removed at the dry mill.

Dry Milling
It is at the dry mill that the beans are prepared for shipping. The first step in the dry mill is to remove a final layer of parchment from the green coffee. The parchment has been protecting and allowing the bean to recover or "rest" and is now mechanically removed so that the beans can be sorted and graded. In most dry mills, huge machines are used to remove debris like twigs and stones. Then the beans are sorted by density and size.

Color Sorting
The final step in the milling process is the sorting of beans by color. Although color sorting is the final step in this long process of milling, it may also be the most time consuming because in most countries sorting is being done by hand. More developed countries have begun using machines that optically scan each bean for color but these machines are very expensive and not yet practical in most coffee producing regions.

Cupping and Grading

Grading is the critical final step in the lengthy process of getting great coffee from farm to market. In addition to grading the beans on size, the number of defective beans in a given sample, the altitude at which it was grown, the growing region it comes from, and the processing method used, the cupping score will be the criteria that is most important in determining the final price a roaster is willing to pay for a specialty grade bean.

Coffee is graded on a scale of 1 to 100. In order to be considered a specialty grade coffee, the coffee must score at least a 70. The coffees purchased by Dunn Bros Coffee generally score between 85 and 93. The fact is, it is really difficult for most coffee drinkers to tell the difference between a coffee that scores between 85-93. On the other hand, a regular drinker of Dunn Bros coffee could probably tell the difference between a coffee scoring 70 and a coffee scoring 85.

So what is a "cupper" looking for when tasting different coffees? Here's the main things the cupper is zeroing in on:
Aroma — This is exactly what it means. How does the coffee smell? More often than not, the smell and taste go together. If the smell is "off," the taste will probably be too. These aromas will vary based on growing region. As an example, African coffees tend to have floral notes while Central Americans are often vanilla-nut or chocolate.
Acidity — Best described as the physical sensation on the tongue. This is typically described as a taste of sweet and/or slightly sour. Acidity is also called brightness. A pleasant tartness is sometimes described as sweet citrus fruit.
Body — Most easily described as "mouth feel." Does the coffee feel heavy or thin in your mouth? Although the degree of heaviness will vary between different growing regions, all specialty grade coffees should have good body and not be overly thin.
Finish or Aftertaste — This is the perceived flavor left in the back of the mouth after swallowing . The aftertaste in a quality coffee should be well-developed. As an example, a good African coffee will typically have a berry or fruit aftertaste.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #18
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

There is nothing better than staying almost all night on the beach sampling Jamaica's best know crop....and then waking up and drinking their kick ass coffee with some breakfast.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #19
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Coffee FAQ
What is the recommended brewing process?
Once you've got great coffee beans, there's still one more step. Correct brewing will unlock all of our coffee's rich flavor and deep aroma.

If you grind your own beans, grind just before brewing.
Grind your coffee in small batches.
Measure 2T of coffee per 6oz. of water. This makes a deep, flavorful cup of coffee. (If you prefer a lighter cup, simply add a little hot water to the finished brew.)
Always use fresh water.
If you use a French press coffee maker, bring the water to just short of a boil (195-205 degrees).
Keep brew time to 4-5 minutes.
How should my coffee be ground?
Different brewing systems require different grinds to get the best results. Your barista can advise you on the proper grind for your coffeemaker. Here are a few guidelines:

If possible, only grind as much coffee as you intend to use right away.
Choosing the proper grind setting is an art in itself. In general, the faster brewing systems benefit from a finer grind, and slower systems require a more coarse grind.
How much coffee do I need?
Coffee Weight Total Brewed Ounces # of 8oz cups # of 12oz cups # of 10 cup pots
.25 lb 80 oz 10 6.5 1
.5 lb 160 oz 20 13 2
1 lb 240 oz (almost 2 gals) 30 20 4+
1.25 lb 320 oz (2.5 gals) 40 27 5+
2 lb 480 oz 60 40 8+
2.5 lb 640 oz (5 gals) 80 53 10+

How should I store my fine coffee?
When it comes to freshness, there's no substitute for, well, freshness. We encourage our guests to buy just a week's worth of coffee at a time. Store your coffee at room temperature in the same bags you bring your coffee home in. Avoid refrigerator or freezer storage.

What is the buzz on decaf?
It's important to know that caffeine has little to do with the taste of coffee. Most of the flavor is determined by the quality of the bean, the roasting process and how the coffee is brewed. The FDA-approved decaffeination methods we use remove 97 to 99 percent of the caffeine. We kick the caffeine out and keep the flavor in so you can enjoy great tasting coffee any time of day.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Kopi Luwak. From beans that have passed through the digestive system of a palm civet. Nothing else even comes close.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #21
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Full City Roast
A Full City Roast brings the beans to a medium roast level by industry standards, but it is Dunn Bros Coffee's lightest roast. It accentuates a coffee's natural characteristics (acidity, fruit, spice and floral quality) without masking them. We consider a Full City to be an optimal roast level—a balanced taste experience that allows the bean's natural flavors to shine in each cup.
Vienna Roast
Slightly darker than a Full City Roast, a Vienna Roast falls somewhere in the middle ground between a dark roast and a light roast. But it's not necessarily a medium roast. Rather, the Vienna adds a slight accentuating touch of smoky dark roast and, because of it's more caramelized sugars, slightly sweetens the bean's natural flavors. We use the Vienna Roast to bring out a little more character in selected coffees.
French Roast
Our darkest roast. Marked by a lingering smoky finish and dark chocolate richness. French Roasted beans are roasted a little longer and a little hotter than all the rest. This gives the beans a smoky, chocolaty flavor. While a French Roast does narrow a bean's natural flavor spectrum, it produces a smooth, bold coffee with reduced acidity levels.

Just in case you were wondering, caffeine content actually remains relatively stable throughout the roast process. Though "technically" in very dark roasts there may be higher than usual organic losses associated with the high degree of roast temperature. This may cause minimal losses of caffeine content. So while it's often assumed darker roasts have more caffeine, in fact the opposite is actually true (though the difference is, frankly, marginal).
Old 04-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #22
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

I also enjoy the coffee and chicory served Au Lait at the Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans with some fresh beignets.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #23
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I also enjoy the coffee and chicory served Au Lait at the Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans with some fresh beignets.
The best coffee I have ever had was at a small family owned hotel in Rio

http://riointernationalhotel.com/default.aspx.

And the buffet style breakfast was heaven.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #24
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
I saw a Discovery Channel show about coffee, and the experts say French press is the best way to make coffee, starting with coarse ground.

My favorite drip coffee is called "Kitamu," it's from Ethiopia. Starbucks used to sell Ethiopian Kitamu, or "African Kitamu," but they stopped about a year ago. I think it's from a "conflict zone," so they won't buy it now. Now I just buy Sumatra or House Blend.

Favorite latte? Viente triple-shot no-foam latte ... with 5 Sweet'n'Lows.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:33 AM   #25
meangene
Ring of Famer

I have always preferred kona coffee. I occasionally mix it up with a french roast for something different. I prefer to grind my own beans and the flavor from a french press is so much better than a regular coffee maker. Add in a touch of all-natural half and half and good to go!
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote