The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
want2bAbronco2
Pro Bowler

Default Patrick Chung

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09...ampaign=ec0009

That should be the link for Chung opens up. I have always really liked this kid, but man I really really really hope we can pick him up!
want2bAbronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

He's not so great in coverage, but a good in the box safety. I like him and Delmas the best this year.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He's not so great in coverage, but a good in the box safety.
From what I've heard about him, and the highlights I've seen of him, I agree with this. We need playmakers so badly on defense that I'd be willing to sacrifice the coverage for his tackling ability.
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I like Chung a lot.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chex View Post
From what I've heard about him, and the highlights I've seen of him, I agree with this. We need playmakers so badly on defense that I'd be willing to sacrifice the coverage for his tackling ability.
There are lots to choose from in this category.

You could even look at an undervalued player like Nic Harris from Oklahoma, that could fall to the late third/early fourth.

He played OLB and Safety in college, and was pretty good at both. He would make a great "in the box" safety. And, he is pretty good in coverage as well, remember his INT in the national championship game vs. Florida?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

I like Chung a lot but we dont need him. We already have Dawkins as an in the box safety. If we draft a safety this year it needs to be someone who is a ballhawk and whose strength is in coverage. Thats why for the Broncos, my favorite safety is Rashad Johnson.
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Yea I think Delmas is the top safety, but Chung isn't bad. Although if you want a solid in the box safety, why not go for the more physical William Moore?
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
There are lots to choose from in this category.

You could even look at an undervalued player like Nic Harris from Oklahoma, that could fall to the late third/early fourth.

He played OLB and Safety in college, and was pretty good at both. He would make a great "in the box" safety. And, he is pretty good in coverage as well, remember his INT in the national championship game vs. Florida?
Nic Harris is a dirty Rodney Harrison type safety, I thought he was moving to LB too because he was slow. Pass.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo15 View Post
I like Chung a lot but we dont need him. We already have Dawkins as an in the box safety.
Eh, Dawkins ain't gonna be around for that long. Nothng wrong with getting a guy and easing him in. I don't want to start rookies unless they're lights out.
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Nic Harris is a dirty Rodney Harrison type safety, I thought he was moving to LB too because he was slow. Pass.
What do you even mean here, that Rodney Harrison really sucked helping his team win a few Superbowls, or you don't like Safeties with a nasty streak?

He went to LB because of injuries at OU. He played conerback, strong safety, and free safety before that.

I'd rather take Moore if we are looking for a hard hitting safety, I was pointing out Harris as a "ball player" and "value pick" out of the first couple rounds.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #11
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by chex View Post
Eh, Dawkins ain't gonna be around for that long. Nothng wrong with getting a guy and easing him in. I don't want to start rookies unless they're lights out.
But with that same pick we would have to use to get Chung we could get Rashad Johnson. A guy who can come in and start right away. At the very least he would be our nickel back. Chung would be nothing more than a special teams player this year. You want more value than that out of your 2nd rounder
Old 04-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
What do you even mean here, that Rodney Harrison really sucked helping his team win a few Superbowls, or you don't like Safeties with a nasty streak?

He went to LB because of injuries at OU. He played conerback, strong safety, and free safety before that.

I'd rather take Moore if we are looking for a hard hitting safety, I was pointing out Harris as a "ball player" and "value pick" out of the first couple rounds.
Theres a huge difference between playing with heart and passion and some fire and taking cheapshots and making dirty plays left and right.

Or are you talking about "nasty streak" as the line of HGH/Steroid injection sites across his body?

Rodney Harrison is a piece of ****, I don't think many people will disagree with that. Nic Harris plays a lot like him, like in the National Championship when he took the cheap shot after the play yanking on Percy Harvin's injured ankle as hard as he could.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #13
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Quote:
But with that same pick we would have to use to get Chung we could get Rashad Johnson. A guy who can come in and start right away. At the very least he would be our nickel back. Chung would be nothing more than a special teams player this year. You want more value than that out of your 2nd rounder
Personally I want the guy who is going to give me the best 10-12 years--regardless of how much he contributes during his rookie season. We're not making any super bowl run this year, so why not take the guy who will help you most down the road, whether Chung or Johnson or whomever
Old 04-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #14
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Personally I want the guy who is going to give me the best 10-12 years--regardless of how much he contributes during his rookie season. We're not making any super bowl run this year, so why not take the guy who will help you most down the road, whether Chung or Johnson or whomever
I would still prefer Rashad Johnson using that logic as well. I know what you mean though
Old 04-16-2009, 12:22 AM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

It won't happen IMO. Mcdaniels will worry about youth at safety next yr maybe. This yr for dbacks IMO he will look for versatile CB's that can also play safety.

So look to see what dbacks are tweeners, guys that are good in zones, good tacklers, etc. IMO Chung to one dimensional for what Mcdaniels and Nolan have envisioned for the team.

They will be looking for versatile lbers and dbacks, and size on the front 7.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:25 AM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Chances are Broncos will pick some players no one mentioned. Especially after 3rd round where teams opinions really start to vary.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #17
want2bAbronco2
Pro Bowler

Rashad Johnson would make me very happy as well, ball hawk!
want2bAbronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #18
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I like Chung a lot but we dont need him. We already have Dawkins as an in the box safety. If we draft a safety this year it needs to be someone who is a ballhawk and whose strength is in coverage. Thats why for the Broncos, my favorite safety is Rashad Johnson.
He pretty good, except for his height. Dont like it at the NFL level.
too frail, and built like Foxworth.
I like Sean Smith as a "ballhawk" alot more!
Plus hes as versatile as they get!

Sean Smith, S/CB, Utah
Height: 6-4. Weight: 214.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Combine 40 Time: 4.53.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.47.
Benchx225: DNP. Vertical: 32.
Projected Round (2009): 1-2.

2/25/09: When you're compared to NFL Hall of Famer Mel Blount, you know you're having a great combine. Mike Mayock made that comparison.
Actually measured in taller than expected; 6-4 is pretty impressive.
Sean Smith, probably more of a safety than a corner at the next level, registered 45 tackles, nine passes broken up, two TFL, five interceptions and a pick-six for national champion Utah. He has declared for the 2009 NFL Draft.

socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #19
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Sean Smith at 48 would be a great pick IMO (as seen in the chaz mock 2.0 )
Old 04-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Sean Smith at 48 would be a great pick IMO (as seen in the chaz mock 2.0 )
He would fit better IMO because he can play some corner, play some safety,

If Broncos are going to run a hybrid, some 3-4, some 4-3, some zone, some man to man, then they will need versatile players. Smith reminds me a tad of Braxton in that he isn't super fast, but tenacious and can play both cb/fs
Old 04-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #21
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm with chaz and chex on Chung; he'd be great, and precisely for the reason that we have Dawkins to groom him. Carmelo's right in pointing out that he is a lot like Dawkins was atheltically (back when Dawkins was in his prime), and it'd be nice for Dawkins to teach him how to maximize his strengths (football IQ, ballhawking, good tackler) and minimize his weakness of lacking top-end speed.

I also think that Nic Harris might be a good value pick in the later rounds. I was surprised by how slow his numbers are, but the game film doesn't lie...he plays really well on the back end most of the time. He could be a liability from time to time, but he has all the skills you look for in a safety in terms of coverage, hands, and tackling. The mean streak isn't a negative in my book, although I have to admit that even as an OU fan, I didn't like that yank on Harvin in the championship game.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #22
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Chung's gay. Get Delmas.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #23
MVP-06
MVP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Smith hands down. Better ball skills and coverage skills. Great pick up in the 2nd
MVP-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #24
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I like Chung a lot.
everybody wang chung tonite
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: