The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Forget Maualuga in round 1 - take Sintim in round 2

Rey is gonna be a solid Inside LB in the NFL. But drafting him in the first round when he probably won't play on 3rd down would be a mistake in my book. I think there are guys out there that can play inside just as well and we can get them later in the draft.

This guy comes to mind - CLINT SINTIM

6'3"

I think with our #44 pick he would bring more value then Maualuga with either #12 or #18. Neither I believe would be on the field on 3rd down so I would stay away from a 1st round LB, unless it's Curry. This guy has great size at 255, good instincts, brings a whallop and has a high motor they say. He also is a superb pass rusher and blitzer (which is huge for a 34 LB). I've also seen a few different boards where they Patriots have their eye on this guy. He's not the best cover LB but neither is Maualuga. I think both have a very similar play style. They are ferocious, strong and intense and have high non stop motors. Neither are super fast, super fluid or great in coverage.

I want to see the Broncos get the most bang for their buck in these picks we have and I cannot see us using a 1st rounder on any of the backers from USC, or anywhere else for that matter. Curry will be taken early and he's really the only backer I would use a 1st round pick on. I would rather see us take DL with our first 2 rounders, and look to LB in the 2nd.

My dream draft - first 3 picks. Gives us players at positions of need and great value at where they were selected and each can excel in a 3-4 defense I believe.

Tyson Jackson
Ron Brace
Clint Sintim
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Forget Maualuga in round 1 - take Sintim in round 2

Rey is gonna be a solid Inside LB in the NFL. But drafting him in the first round when he probably won't play on 3rd down would be a mistake in my book. I think there are guys out there that can play inside just as well and we can get them later in the draft.

This guy comes to mind - CLINT SINTIM

6'3"

I think with our #44 pick he would bring more value then Maualuga. Neither I believe would be on the field on 3rd down so I would stay away from a 1st round LB, unless it's Curry. This guy has great size at 255, good instincts, brings a whallop and has a high motor they say. He also is a superb pass rusher and blitzer (which is huge for a 34 LB). I've also seen a few different boards where they Patriots have their eye on this guy. He's not the best cover LB but neither is Maualuga. I think both have a very similar play style. They are ferocious, strong and intense and have high non stop motors. Neither are super fast, super fluid or great in coverage.

I want to see the Broncos get the most bang for their buck in these picks we have and I cannot see us using a 1st rounder on any of the backers from USC, or anywhere else for that matter. Curry will be taken early and he's really the only backer I would use a 1st round pick on. I would rather see us take DL with our first 2 rounders, and look to LB in the 2nd.

My dream draft - first 3 picks. Gives us players at positions of need and great value at where they were selected and each can excel in a 3-4 defense I believe.

Tyson Jackson
Ron Brace
Clint Sintim

Heck, we could even add another LB in the 3rd such as JASPER BRINKLEY. Solid player. I guess what I am trying to say is that there are alot of good LB's in this draft and we can load up on a few of them in the later rounds. No need to go after a big name in the 1st when there are quite a few guys floating around out there that we can pick up much much later and they still would be an improvemnt over many of the LB's we have on this team now.

Last edited by ZONA; 04-15-2009 at 03:05 PM..
Old 04-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Where's Plummer???
orton has plummers beard

Orton Is A Team Leader!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

i like Maualugas agrassiveness better...
Where's Plummer??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Maualuga really does bring a passion you don't see very often. Like Dawkins, Palamalu, Ray Lewis type passion.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where's Plummer??? View Post
i like Maualugas agrassiveness better...
So I take it you've seen Sintim play then, and not just saying that because you like Rey? I mean, Rey could be the better player but really, how much better? You don't think him playing on a dominant team with 2 other really good LB's had anything to do with his good play? I would be very leary of over looking that fact. And I can already tell you Rey probably won't be on the field except on 1st and 2nd down. Not worth a 1st round pick in my eyes, as well as alot of GM's feel that way also.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Everything points to trading down with the 12th pick.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

You say you want us to get the most value with our picks or bang for our buck. Then say you want Ron Brace at #18. Am I missing something?
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
Where's Plummer???
orton has plummers beard

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
So I take it you've seen Sintim play then, and not just saying that because you like Rey? I mean, Rey could be the better player but really, how much better? You don't think him playing on a dominant team with 2 other really good LB's had anything to do with his good play? I would be very leary of over looking that fact. And I can already tell you Rey probably won't be on the field except on 1st and 2nd down. Not worth a 1st round pick in my eyes, as well as alot of GM's feel that way also.
i have seen BOTH of em play. and they look real similar to me. but in my perspective Mau's passion gets it for me. he just reminds me so much of palamalu... now would i be dissapointed with either of em?? HELL NO! but id rather see some DL before tey even THINK af a linebacker
Old 04-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Everything points to trading down with the 12th pick.
I would agree, but you have to be prepared to pick if nobody wants to deal. I think we could still land Jackson and Brace easily in the first even if we did trade down.

And Rey does have great passion but what good does that passion do you when he's on the bench on 3rd down? None. Most of the LB's you see taken in the 1st round are total complete backers who can do it all, such as Urlacher. I just look back to the 2006 draft when GB took Patrick Willis and he's been solid on 1st and 2nd down but has struggled on 3rd downs. It's a huge risk taking a LB in the middle to high 1st round if he's not the complete package. Rey is not a complete package. No way the Broncos pick him in the 1st. I will take that to the bank.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Rey can play on 3rd. middle zone and as a pass rusher.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
I would agree, but you have to be prepared to pick if nobody wants to deal. I think we could still land Jackson and Brace easily in the first even if we did trade down.

And Rey does have great passion but what good does that passion do you when he's on the bench on 3rd down? None. Most of the LB's you see taken in the 1st round are total complete backers who can do it all, such as Urlacher. I just look back to the 2006 draft when GB took Patrick Willis and he's been solid on 1st and 2nd down but has struggled on 3rd downs. It's a huge risk taking a LB in the middle to high 1st round if he's not the complete package. Rey is not a complete package. No way the Broncos pick him in the 1st. I will take that to the bank.
Urlacher is a huge liability in coverage, but he plays with passion and rallies to the ball with bad intentions. We need players like Rey on this Defense, we had no heart last year.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo15 View Post
You say you want us to get the most value with our picks or bang for our buck. Then say you want Ron Brace at #18. Am I missing something?
I think alot of people have totally missed on Ron Brace. We had a thread here not long ago featuring Raji and on the clips, most of us were seeing Brace just destroy things inside. Yeah, sure I would love to move down from #18 to say #25 and take Brace but I already think we are going to try and move down from #12 to take Jackson a little later. And I think Brace will be gone before we pick again at #44, where as the chances of Sintim being there are much higher. And yes, I place more value for a DT (especially in a 3-4) then a LB who will only play 2 downs.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I bet half the people that say he reminds them of Palamalu is because of his hair and he hits hard.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

Did you mean SF or did you mean AJ Hawk?
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
Where's Plummer???
orton has plummers beard

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman444 View Post
I bet half the people that say he reminds them of Palamalu is because of his hair and he hits hard.
i say becuz of the passion for the game... how many ppl thought palamalu was gonna be the star that he is? and sure the hair doesnt hurt
Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #16
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Not sure how these are the same player. I would love to have Sintim in the 2nd, but Rey would bring an edge to this team we haven't had since Al left.

Clint Sintim (OLB)
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 256
College: Virginia
Conference: ACC
Hometown: Woodbridge, VA
High School: Gar-Field HS

Analysis
Positives: Good height and strong lower- and upper-body build. ... Often plays as the elephant linebacker in the 3-4, where he will likely play in the pros. ... Good straight-line speed and will hustle to get downfield angles. ... Closes on quarterbacks quickly. ... Long arms and strength to secure the tackle. ... Shows versatility as a hand-down pass rusher on third down. ... Gets off the ball, can get under the pads of tackles and rip them aside. ... Generally holds up against OT blocks, and can occasionally shed to make a play. ... Takes on fullback blocks to stand his ground or create a pile.

Negatives: Might be considered an end-linebacker "tweener" by 4-3 teams, but he could fit as a strong-side linebacker if he proves the ability to handle coverage responsibilities. ... Wasn't asked to drop into coverage, and might lack the fluid hips and change-of-direction agility needed to excel in that area. ... Rarely gets into position to block passes in space or at the line. ... Needs to shed tight end blocks on the edge and make more plays.

Rey Maualuga (ILB)
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 249
College: Southern Cal
Conference: Pac 10
Hometown: Eureka, CA
High School: Eureka

Analysis
Positives: Good initial quickness off the snap. Quickly gets to top speed, flashing rare downhill explosiveness for the position. Reads the action quickly. Willing to take on blocks and has the strength and hand technique to shed quickly. Good lateral quickness to evade blockers and has the speed to beat backs to the flanks. Gets good depth on his pass drop and is quick to close on the ball. Punishing hitter with four career forced fumbles. Productive pass rusher with the speed to close on even mobile quarterbacks. Can break down in space to make the secure open-field tackle.

Negatives: Has a tendency to overpursue, opening holes in the defense for quick and savvy ballcarriers to exploit. Too often relies on his explosive hitting to knock down ballcarriers, rather than wrapping up to make secure tackles. Concerns about his maturity. Repeated troubles while at USC involving fights and alcohol.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #17
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Did you mean SF or did you mean AJ Hawk?
likely hawk, since willis has been a beast
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #18
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
Rey can play on 3rd. middle zone and as a pass rusher.
So if we play Rey in a zone on 3rd down, you don't think teams will catch on to the fact we are almost always going to a zone on 3rd down when Rey is in there? Dude, cmon. Teams will figure that out very quickly, probably by half time of the first game. Rey cannot just sit in a zone on every 3rd down, or blitz. And if we do end up doing that, why in the heck wouldn't we just do that with Sintim and pay him less. He has all the same type of numbers from college, except for the fact he's already played in a 3 4 defense and will already be ahead of Rey in terms of knowledge of the defensive scheme, and he will be paid much less, not to mention, you have a much better guage of him as a stand alone player. He did not have all the talent in the world around him like Rey did. We have players that need new contracts very soon and they will be high dollar contracts (Clady, Marshall, Harris, etc..). We will need the cap room.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #19
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Urlacher is a huge liability in coverage, but he plays with passion and rallies to the ball with bad intentions. We need players like Rey on this Defense, we had no heart last year.
Apparently Andra Davis (who was defensive captain for the Browns) has already taken a huge leadership role on the defensive side of our team, as has a Mr. Brian Dawkins.

Lets not forget Champ should be out there as well.

I'm honestly not so worried about leadership that we need a rookie to inspire it.

I should also point out that Spencer Larsen was defensive captain for Arizona in college and Wesley Woodyard likewise at Kentucky.

We've got some seriously passionate and mentally intelligent players on defense.

It just so happens last year, we forced one to primarily play FB and the other only got his shot when D.J. was out of the lineup.

I guess I'm one of the few people who don't want any part of Rey on this team. In fact I don't want us to spend a single early round pick on our interior LB's. I'm content with Andra Davis, D.J. Williams and two youngins in Wesley Woodyard and Spencer Larsen fighting it out for those two spots.

At outside we have Boss, Elvis, Jarvis, Crowder, and Reid. I think Elvis has already shown he's working his ass off for one of those spots, and I can't see how one of the other four on that list don't get the other spot and play well at it.

We need to fix up our D-Line first and foremost.

Give me Jerron Gilbert and Tyson Jackson for our two DE's with Raji or Brace in the middle and Sammy Lee Hill as a late draft NT project.

Last edited by UberBroncoMan; 04-15-2009 at 03:42 PM..
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #20
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:

Urlacher played Safety in college and is a huge reason why Chicago's Cover-2 has been so good! Urlacher is great in coverage. You're an idiot.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #21
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post

Urlacher played Safety in college and is a huge reason why Chicago's Cover-2 has been so good! Urlacher is great in coverage. You're an idiot.
That's part of the reason I want Woodyard to be a starter. The guy is not only a natural leader with a non-stop motor... he has great coverage ability (as we saw vs KC).

Problem with that is where does D.J. go... WSLB?... because I can't see Andra Davis not QB'ing our defense in front while Dawkins does it in the back. Should D.J. go to WSLB where then does Elvis go That guy seems like he'd fit in great there if he can show us he has the coverage ability.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #22
meangene
Ring of Famer

I've been pushing Sinton as underrated for a while. Love his versatility.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...16#post2343016
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #23
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Al Wilson was much better in pass coverage then Rey and he was taken with the 31st pick. To me, I think Rey wiff's way too many times going for the big hit and yeah, he is not the wrap up type of LB. How many times have we all came on this board over the past few years complaining about LB's laying wood, only to watch the RB's spin off of that initial hit to get another 2 or 3 yards and pick up first downs. Now if something happened to where we could move down to the end of the 1st round trading our 18th pick to something like #28, Rey would be worth a look there. But not at #12, no way.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #24
TheDave
Sauced...

I'll take Jasper Brinkley in the 3rd over both of them.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #25
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
I'll take Jasper Brinkley in the 3rd over both of them.
Yup, I said that as well in the first post. I would like to add at least one of the two. Add 1 LB to compete for a spot and let's see how some of the guys we have do in a Nolen led 34. We already know many of the guys we have on the DL probably won't be great so that is where we need the talent right now. We could also do well by adding a CB and Safety for depth and to groom.