The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default Time for my mock...

Here is my dream Mock for this year. I think we will see a balance of 5 picks to the defense and 5 on offense despite everyones insistence that we draft all defense. Let's be honest, our offense last year was 16th in scoring and last I checked, that is the only stat that counts.

12. Tyson Jackson, DE - Not a glamorous pick by any means, but fills a need and won't get past SD at 16. Personally I would want to trade this pick for a late first rounder and additional second, but if we stay here and Raji is gone then Jackson is the pick. I also don't think Gilbert falls to our second rounder. I also don't see a LB taken here as we have like 9 on the roster already.

18. Donald Brown, RB - Of all the 1st rd. RBs, I like Brown the best. Can catch out of the backfield and is my pick for ROY no matter which team ends up with him. We are not going to be going defense with the first five picks. Brown comes in and is instantly the starter to take pressure off of Orton/Simms. Could be this years Forte. I also don't think he'd fall to our second rounder, but if no RB's are off the board at this point I would take Ayers and hope Brown or McCoy falls to our second. Character wise, he is this year's Eddie royal.

48. Rashad Johnson, S - Johnson will be a solid pro and with our aging safety position he can learn behind Dawkins and step in next year. With all the picks we have, we need to look for solid players and not those who are projected to be superstars.

79. Pat White, QB - His stock is rising so he may be gone by this pick. I see White in the same way I saw Slaton last year. Dude's were productive in college and their stocks drop because of measurables? We saw what Slaton did last year and I think White can grow into a QB's body or become a Randel El type of player for us. Might have to take White with our 2nd though and hope Johnson, Chung, or Moore fall to our third...

84. Eric Wood, C - Wiegmann is getting old and probably only has about a year or 2 left. With LT, RT, and RG looking set for a very long time, we need to address C and eventually LG. Wood can sit a year and step in next to hopefully be our center of the future.

114. Kevin Barnes, CB or Mike Mickens, CB - I honestly doubt either of these guys fall this far (which is why I want to trade back with the #12 to get more picks earlier...), but if they do either is a solid pick to learn behind Bailey and Goodman. With only Jack MOFO Williams left, we need some depth here.

149. Sammie Lee Hill, NT or Terrance Knighton, NT (both 6'3" 320+ lbs) - Time to start getting the fatties for the middle. Let's be honest, as much as we would all love to get Raji in the first - NTs just don't come into the NFL and contribute as rookies. Hill or Knighton can join a rotation with Ron Fields and perhaps Thomas at NT and hopefully be groomed for the future. Neither of these guys may fall this far though...

185. Jarrett Dillard, WR - My sleeper for WR. Dillard scored 20 TDs last year and 59 in his NCAA career to go along with 4,000+ yards. Dude is just productive, however his lack of playing against big time competition drops him this far. Another weapon for McDaniels to play with.

225. Worrell Williams, ILB - Played in a 3-4 in college. D.J.'s "little" brother. Could come in and star on special teams and maybe eventually crack the lineup in a couple years. To be honest, we need all the special teams help we can get and hopefully McDaniels realizes that.

235. Rulon Davis, DE - More depth for the D-line. At this point not much can be expected from our picks, however we did end up with Hillis and Barrett in the 7th last year.

Last edited by Harvitz81; 04-15-2009 at 08:59 AM..
Harvitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Brown? Really?
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Eric Wood is going to be drafted late first early 2nd. I hope we go after a rb in later rounds, I think we can get more value drafting more defense at 12 and 18. Possibly look at P Jerry DT or someone up front. We need much more help along the line than to wait until later rounds IMO.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesBronco View Post
Brown? Really?
Yes, really. He is going to be the best back to come out of this draft and our offense wasn't exactly stellar last year. I would rather take an immediate impact player at 18 than a defensive project. A good clock controlling offense makes the defense look that much better anyway.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
Eric Wood is going to be drafted late first early 2nd. I hope we go after a rb in later rounds, I think we can get more value drafting more defense at 12 and 18. Possibly look at P Jerry DT or someone up front. We need much more help along the line than to wait until later rounds IMO.
Wood's stock is rising so you may be right. In that case maybe we can go after Caldwell later in the draft. Of the RB's this year I like Brown and Rashard Jennings the best who can be had in probably the third or 4th.

The only reason I don't see us going Defense with both our 1st rounders is that unless you take a LB, defensive lineman are really not going to contribute much in their first year anyway. So thinking that if we get 2 first round defensive lineman and instantly we are set is wishful thinking IMO.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvitz81 View Post
Here is my dream Mock for this year. I think we will see a balance of 5 picks to the defense and 5 on offense despite everyones insistence that we draft all defense. Let's be honest, our offense last year was 16th in scoring and last I checked, that is the only stat that counts.

12. Tyson Jackson, DE - Not a glamorous pick by any means, but fills a need and won't get past SD at 16. Personally I would want to trade this pick for a late first rounder and additional second, but if we stay here and Raji is gone then Jackson is the pick. I also don't think Gilbert falls to our second rounder. I also don't see a LB taken here as we have like 9 on the roster already.

18. Donald Brown, RB - Of all the 1st rd. RBs, I like Brown the best. Can catch out of the backfield and is my pick for ROY no matter which team ends up with him. We are not going to be going defense with the first five picks. Brown comes in and is instantly the starter to take pressure off of Orton/Simms. Could be this years Forte. I also don't think he'd fall to our second rounder, but if not RB's are off the board at this point I would take Ayers and hope Brown or McCoy falls to our second. Character wise, he is this year's Eddie royal.

48. Rashad Johnson, S - Johnson will be a solid pro and with our aging safety position he can learn behind Dawkins and step in next year. With all the picks we have, we need to look for solid players and not those who are projected to be superstars.

79. Pat White, QB - His stock is rising so he may be gone by this pick. I see White in the same way I saw Slaton last year. Dude's were productive in college and their stocks drop because of measurables? We saw what Slaton did last year and I think White can grow into a QB's body or become a Randel El type of player for us. Might have to take White with our 2nd though and hope Johnson, Chung, or Moore fall to our third...

84. Eric Wood, C - Wiegmann is getting old and probably only has about a year or 2 left. With LT, RT, and RG looking set for a very long time, we need to address C and eventually LG. Wood can sit a year and step in next to hopefully be our center of the future.

114. Kevin Barnes, CB or Mike Mickens, CB - I honestly doubt either of these guys fall this far (which is why I want to trade back with the #12 to get more picks earlier...), but if they do either is a solid pick to learn behind Bailey and Goodman. With only Jack MOFO Williams left, we need some depth here.

149. Sammie Lee Hill, NT or Terrance Knighton, NT (both 6'3" 320+ lbs) - Time to start getting the fatties for the middle. Let's be honest, as much as we would all love to get Raji in the first - NTs just don't come into the NFL and contribute as rookies. Hill or Knighton can join a rotation with Ron Fields and perhaps Thomas at NT and hopefully be groomed for the future. Neither of these guys may fall this far though...

185. Jarrett Dillard, WR - My sleeper for WR. Dillard scored 20 TDs last year and 59 in his NCAA career to go along with 4,000+ yards. Dude is just productive, however his lack of playing against big time competition drops him this far. Another weapon for McDaniels to play with.

225. Worrell Williams, ILB - Played in a 3-4 in college. D.J.'s "little" brother. Could come in and star on special teams and maybe eventually crack the lineup in a couple years. To be honest, we need all the special teams help we can get and hopefully McDaniels realizes that.

235. Rulon Davis, DE - More depth for the D-line. At this point not much can be expected from our picks, however we did end up with Hillis and Barrett in the 7th last year.
I absolutely love Donald Brown, reminds me of a E. Smith type player.

I want BJ Raji or Rey at #12.

If we get Rey I want Brace at #48 and Filoa Moala at 79.

I would love Eric Wood at 84, I doubt he is there, if not maybe take a Duke Robinson out of OU.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Wood's stock is rising so you may be right. In that case maybe we can go after Caldwell later in the draft. Of the RB's this year I like Brown and Rashard Jennings the best who can be had in probably the third or 4th.

The only reason I don't see us going Defense with both our 1st rounders is that unless you take a LB, defensive lineman are really not going to contribute much in their first year anyway. So thinking that if we get 2 first round defensive lineman and instantly we are set is wishful thinking IMO.
I completely agree. Dline is almost always a project.

That's why I want Rey Maualuga and Brown in the first if Raji is off the board. We get 2 guys that will start day one. Jennings is my second choice of RB's also.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Why does everyone think we need a Center so bad? Lichten-whatever was one of the top Centers in the draft last year and one of our 4/5th round picks. The guy can play out of bowling green. With our success drating and developing Oline guys, I don't think we have a huge need at center. Maybe we shore up the OG depth in the middle rounds, but Center is probably not a huge need.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
I absolutely love Donald Brown, reminds me of a E. Smith type player.

I want BJ Raji or Rey at #12.

If we get Rey I want Brace at #48 and Filoa Moala at 79.

I would love Eric Wood at 84, I doubt he is there, if not maybe take a Duke Robinson out of OU.
I don't think Raji will be there at 12 and it is not worth it IMO to trade up for him. If we are going to trade for a defensive lineman send our 2nd and a conditional pick next year to CArolina for Peppers.

I am really not a big fan of Rey. He is a 2 down LB and you don't spend a high first down pick on that. I think he will fall a lot farther than some people might think.

Brace IMO is going to be reached for at the end of the first and depending on what Green Bay does in the first, he won't make it past them in the 2nd.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
I don't think Raji will be there at 12 and it is not worth it IMO to trade up for him. If we are going to trade for a defensive lineman send our 2nd and a conditional pick next year to CArolina for Peppers.

I am really not a big fan of Rey. He is a 2 down LB and you don't spend a high first down pick on that. I think he will fall a lot farther than some people might think.

Brace IMO is going to be reached for at the end of the first and depending on what Green Bay does in the first, he won't make it past them in the 2nd.
Rey is going earlier than you think. Rey is a natural leader on the field, and a scary SOB. He can play on 3rd down, he can drop into middle zone or rush the QB. I don't want to trade up either, and I do not want Peppers.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Rey is going earlier than you think. Rey is a natural leader on the field, and a scary SOB. He can play on 3rd down, he can drop into middle zone or rush the QB. I don't want to trade up either, and I do not want Peppers.
I just think that Rey has a lot of question marks that doesn't warrant the 12th pick. If he is there at 18 and the staff thinks we need ILB help, then I would be ok with that pick.

I really don't want peppers either, I was just saying for the cost it would take to move up to get Raji, we may as well use that to get a proven player.

I'm really hoping that one of the top tackles falls and Phili will trade up with one of their 1st's and a 2nd or third. Or if Sanchez falls and NY or TB is looking to trade up. I really don't think that we would use a 1st rd. pick on a QB as I believe McDaniels really likes Orton. If we wanted a higher 1st rounder (than 18) we could have had Washington's and Campbell, so that in of itself leads me to believe that Orton is the guy this year at least.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
I just think that Rey has a lot of question marks that doesn't warrant the 12th pick. If he is there at 18 and the staff thinks we need ILB help, then I would be ok with that pick.

I really don't want peppers either, I was just saying for the cost it would take to move up to get Raji, we may as well use that to get a proven player.

I'm really hoping that one of the top tackles falls and Phili will trade up with one of their 1st's and a 2nd or third. Or if Sanchez falls and NY or TB is looking to trade up. I really don't think that we would use a 1st rd. pick on a QB as I believe McDaniels really likes Orton. If we wanted a higher 1st rounder (than 18) we could have had Washington's and Campbell, so that in of itself leads me to believe that Orton is the guy this year at least.
I've heard the rumors and downside, but players know who the leader of the Defense was.

I am looking for instant impact in that first round. We need DL help for sure, but I think this is a bad year for Dline.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Why does everyone think we need a Center so bad? Lichten-whatever was one of the top Centers in the draft last year and one of our 4/5th round picks. The guy can play out of bowling green. With our success drating and developing Oline guys, I don't think we have a huge need at center. Maybe we shore up the OG depth in the middle rounds, but Center is probably not a huge need.
QFT
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Quote:
Eric Wood is going to be drafted late first early 2nd.
Doubtful. That is Alex Mack territory. Wood will be picked on the second half of the first day IMO
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #15
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I wish you were drafting for us...as the draft approaches I just don't like the idea of waiting til 18 for Rey. He's the one guy I'd truly love to see a Bronco, maybe putting some swagger and leadership in the middle once again.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #16
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
I wish you were drafting for us...as the draft approaches I just don't like the idea of waiting til 18 for Rey. He's the one guy I'd truly love to see a Bronco, maybe putting some swagger and leadership in the middle once again.
I agree...as the draft gets closer, film gets overanalyzed. Bottom line is that the guy can play.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:53 AM   #17
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I agree...as the draft gets closer, film gets overanalyzed. Bottom line is that the guy can play.
I keep getting cold sweats seeing the Chargers in the 16 slot and us waiting for him at 18. I really don't want to face him twice a year in a Chargers jersey.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:44 AM   #18
Breaker
Bleeding Orange and Blue

Another person picking a RB in the first round ...... my god what are you people thinking.
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:32 AM   #19
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker View Post
Another person picking a RB in the first round ...... my god what are you people thinking.
That's the same thing the talking heads were saying last year when Carolina selected Stewart with Williams still on the roster and Tennessee taking Johnson with White back there. Turned out pretty well for those teams didn't it.

The problem with our team is that we don't even have anyone near a Williams or White. Do not be surprised if we take a RB in the first 3 rounds.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: