The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2009, 07:10 AM   #1
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default Should Krieger Get paid for this?

Quote:
Krieger: Strong start, but what an ending
By Dave Krieger
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/15/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

Based on anguished warnings of the coming apocalypse, you might have expected this year's Broncos schedule to look something like Napoleon's invasion of Russia in 1812.

In fact, it's not that bad. Napoleon didn't get to start with the Bengals.

Week 1 at Cincinnati: The Bengals should have Carson Palmer back, but they're still the Bengals. Chad Ocho Cinco gets excessive celebration penalties after all three of his catches and Kyle Orton earns his first win as a Bronco, 33-27. (1-0)

Week 2 vs. Cleveland: Despite several hundred teenage girls demanding Josh McDaniels acquire Brady Quinn, the Broncos' veteran secondary picks off the hapless matinee idol three times and Orton gets his second win, 31-20. Broncomania is back. (2-0)

Week 3 at Oakland: At the last minute, Al Davis writes several fly patterns for Cliff Branch into the game plan. The Broncos escape the Black Hole with a 27-24 victory, but McDaniels' hoodie is stained by a substance he cannot identify. Mayor Hickenlooper holds a parade. (3-0)

Week 4 vs. Dallas: Having watched his team fall to 1-2, Jerry Jones announces he will fire Wade Phillips and hire Mike Shanahan if the Cowboys lose to the surprising Broncos. Felix Jones and Marion Barber combine for 220 yards rushing and Phillips' job is saved, 38-20. Shanahan continues to supervise construction of Shanahangri-La in Cherry Hills Village. (3-1)

Week 5 vs. New England: Bill Belichick is 6-2 against former assistants Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel. A healthy Tom Brady initiates McDaniels into this club, retiring after three quarters with a 42-10 lead. Defensive end Richard Seymour says Orton is no Matt Cassel. (3-2)

Week 6 at San Diego: Philip Rivers admits he misses his snit fits with Jay Cutler, but playing only three quarters in a 35-13 win makes up for it. McDaniels says the bye week is coming at an excellent time. (3-3)

Week 7 Bye: The Broncos' defense gives up only 10 points.

Week 8 at Baltimore: Orton earns his Chicago nickname Captain Checkdown by throwing every pass to Correll Buckhalter or J.J. Arrington. Both hobble off after hits by Ray Lewis. Ravens roll, 24-0. McDaniels says the defense is improving. (3-4)

Week 9 vs. Pittsburgh: Willie Parker breaks Corey Dillon's rushing record against the Broncos by a single yard. Ben Roethlisberger throws 12 passes. The Steelers win 31-10. Afterward, McDaniels refers to Orton as "the player." (3-5)

Week 10 at Washington: Clinton Portis rushes for 140 yards in a blue granny wig. Champ Bailey says he kinda misses the Redskins. Chris Simms replaces Orton at halftime. Redskins roll, 28-10. (3-6)

Week 11 vs. San Diego: Darren Sproles rushes for 200 yards, but the Broncos keep it close, losing 23-17. McDaniels says the offense is improving. (3-7)

Week 12 vs. New York Giants: Before the game, McDaniels asks Brandon Jacobs if he has ever considered playing nose tackle. Jacobs rushes for 180 yards and the Giants win 35-16. Pat Bowlen says McDaniels is doing "a heckuva job under the circumstances." (3-8)

Week 13 at Kansas City: McDaniels reminisces with Cassel and Scott Pioli before the game. The temperature is 5 below. Chiefs win, 13-3. (3-9)

Week 14 at Indianapolis: With all of his running backs injured, McDaniels offers to sign Tatum Bell, who is again selling mobile phones. Bell's only condition is that McDaniels put him in his fave five. Colts win, 31-17. (3-10)

Week 15 vs. Oakland: Despite the 10-game losing streak, McDaniels says the season is a success if the Broncos sweep the hated Raiders. Davis inserts several late plays for Mark van Eeghen, and Orton, subbing for the injured Simms, beats the Raiders again, 20-12. (4-10)

Week 16 at Philadelphia: Brian Dawkins is greeted as a returning hero and says he never really wanted to leave Philly. On their annual late playoff push, the Eagles win, 24-9. (4-11)

Week 17 vs. Kansas City: The Broncos' season comes down to the big rematch against Cassel for last place. In the snow, the Broncos prevail, 6-2. Elvis Dumervil says Cassel is no Kyle Orton. (5-11)

Afterward, McDaniels mentions that Rome wasn't built in a day. "We started fast and we finished strong," he says, "so we met two of our preseason goals."
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12144101

I know I am homerly and all. But really that is what sports off seasons are all about. But this is just ridiculous.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Sounds about right.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
GoHAM
Ring of Famer

36, now that's shabby!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Unrein

Would you have prefered he predict 16-0 and a Super Bowl?

At least 5-11 is realistic.

Myself, I'm leaning more towards the 7-9 to 9-7 range.
GoHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

people here honestly believe that we will go on a 10 game losing streak? i mean, honestly?

thats damn near impossible to do in hte NFL, we havent see the draft, minicamps or preseason yet, how stupid do you have to be to judge this team with all the doom and gloom?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12144101

I know I am homerly and all. But really that is what sports off seasons are all about. But this is just ridiculous.
Get ready to have your 'homerly' anticipation crushed by reality ............
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinal11 View Post
Sounds about right.
But is it a story? Or is the sports section and the editorial section merging? It is pure conjecture and a lame attempt at that. Looks like a Cut n Paste Bronco Buff post.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
Get ready to have your 'homerly' anticipation crushed by reality ............
It was just a lazy article. He could have posted a feature matchup that looked good. Or a Reason to watch or not watch. Instead he just took last seasons power rankings held them up to the screen and marked the broncos down for a loss against anyone whose number was higher.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #8
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

So in others words, Krieger thinks the defense will be as bad as ever this year. So having Cutler would make this a playoff team though?
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
But is it a story? Or is the sports section and the editorial section merging? It is pure conjecture and a lame attempt at that. Looks like a Cut n Paste Bronco Buff post.
Man you get this kind of thing every single off season every single year in almost every single major newspaper. If you're really surprised by it, then I suggest you just quit reading the sports sections in newspapers. Half baked and half assed predictions are part of the reason many people love sports. They do this in the USA Today, the NY Times, the Washington Post, and its definitely not the first time its been in the DP.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I think this article, as much as anything, captures the deflated and shoulder-dropped mental state of the Bronco fans after a tough winter quite nicely. New coaches, new systems, going to a 3 - 4, Orton under center vs Cutler...

I dont think too many are expecting greatness this year.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #11
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I won'er how Broncos fans would react to that kind of season.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

We Are Going To Struggle Next Year...tough Times Ahead
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #13
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
In a nutshell, this place will suck.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Lots of "See, see" posts that say the Broncos should have bent over and allowed Cutler to do whatever he wanted just to appease his hurt feelings.

5-11 is realistic, this team doesn't appear to be that good and doesn't deserve any benefit of the doubt at this point.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #15
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Hey, nice to see an optomistic writer. I doubt we will sweep the Raiders, and would say one of those Cleveland/Cincy games will be an L. But other than that pretty close. 3-13 could swing up to 5-11 I guess, but I won't be holding my breath. On the up side the Denver D only giving up 10 points during the bye week made me chuckle. Give him his paycheck and tell him unless he starts getting in line with the Broncos press release they will put him on a terrorist watch list like all the right to lifers and returning war veterans. He may even have to pay for his own health care.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #16
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I think that we will get both of the Clev and Cinn games, sweep the Raiders and the Chiefs. I really don't know what the team is going to look like, but the middle of the schedule will break us or forge us together. We will see.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #17
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Sadly, Krieg's been paid for worse.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #18
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

If any of these reporters were thinking they would go interview several of the players that were cut by McD and we might get some true insight as to what Cutler was thought of in the locker room etc...
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #19
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He should have mentioned what happens to the attendance during that chronology. If the sellout streak ends, Bowlen is going to have to take it to his grave. And to think some were saying that Bowlen was trying to make it into the hall of fame as an owner by "proving" he could be pro-active and do it without Shanahan.

Between trading Cutler and possibly jeopardizing the sellout streak, Bowlen has really boxed himself in.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #20
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
So in others words, Krieger thinks the defense will be as bad as ever this year. So having Cutler would make this a playoff team though?

You really shouldnt deviate from his terms.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #21
Where's Plummer???
orton has plummers beard

Orton Is A Team Leader!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

Quote:
Week 5 vs. New England: Bill Belichick is 6-2 against former assistants Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel. A healthy Tom Brady initiates McDaniels into this club, retiring after three quarters with a 42-10 lead. Defensive end Richard Seymour says Orton is no Matt Cassel. (3-2)
i believe this game will be a bit closer if not a W for us... orton can manage a game better than 10 points and the running game should take off this year...

Quote:
Week 7 Bye: The Broncos' defense gives up only 10 points.
LMAO!!!
Where's Plummer??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #22
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
In a nutshell, this place will suck.

I'm not talking about this place. Any online Broncos forum is going to be split until we win. I'm talking about how they react at the stadium - ticket sales, crowd conduct, etc.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #23
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

As far as the article goes, it was a nice demonstration of an oddity in the schedule - which is that the hardest games seem to be clustered in the middle.

But we all know from experience that things change. Some of the powerhouses on the schedule will not live up to expectations, and some of the weaker teams will turn out better than expected. On top of that, it's virtually certain that there will be upsets along the way. Sometime during the season Denver will beat at least one team that it should have no business beating and they will lose at least one game that they should have won.

As far as the overall record goes, it does look like a tough schedule. As far as I'm concerned, McDaniels is completely unproven. I'm not excited about Orton. I'm almost certain the offense will have a dropoff in production. Nor do I see anything to be very excited about on defense. I think it will improve at least a little, but probably not enough to offset the loss in production.

Realistically, I'm expecting a top-ten pick in next year's draft. (And it won't be the Bears pick.)
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #24
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

How could the Defense be worse. I really don't think it is possible.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #25
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I'm not talking about this place. Any online Broncos forum is going to be split until we win. I'm talking about how they react at the stadium - ticket sales, crowd conduct, etc.
Ive often wondered this too. It will probably be as ugly as this place gets at times. Youll have a lot of people who hate the current regime booing and holding up banners and then youll have those that get offended by this and there will probably be a lot of confrontations in the stands. Its going to be ugly.