The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
dragondawg
All Pro
 
dragondawg's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,009
Default Denver Broncos' Champ Bailey opens up

DENVER, Colorado — Here’s change you might find hard to believe in when it comes to Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey.

Bailey is entering his 11th NFL season. The eight-time Pro Bowler will be playing for his sixth coach and eighth defensive coordinator.

Actually, it’s nine defensive coordinators if you count Mike Nolan.

Nolan was named the Broncos’ defensive coordinator shortly after Josh McDaniels was hired as coach in January. He was Bailey’s first defensive coordinator in 1999, when both were with the Washington Redskins.

“I tell you what man, I have thought about that,” Bailey told me. “Guys talk about it all the time. Think about some guys that have been here four or five years like D.J. Williams. He’s been here five years with the same head coach. He’s had a couple of different defensive coordinators, but he’s had that stability at the top.

“And I’m like man, you just don’t know how good you’ve got it. I had four or five (coaches) when I was in Washington.”

In case you need names with the numbers, Bailey’s coaches in Washington were Norv Turner, Terry Robiskie (interim), Marty Schottenheimer and Steve Spurrier. He was traded after Joe Gibbs was named coach in 2004.

Bailey’s defensive coordinators at Washington were Nolan, Ray Rhodes, Kurt Schottenheimer, Marvin Lewis and George Edwards.

The Broncos have had three defensive coordinators since Bailey’s arrival –- Larry Coyer, Jim Bates and Bob Slowik -– under Mike Shanahan.

Six coaches and eight men coaching defense. How many Hall of

Fame-caliber football players have endured this much coaching turnover? With so much change, you might expect a volcanic explosion from a high-profile veteran such as Bailey.

But he maintains his cool and rolls with the flow of change while fighting the hunger pangs for wins. The Broncos have been to the playoffs twice since Bailey arrived in a trade for running back Clinton Portis. For his career, Bailey has been to the postseason three times.

Denver’s appearance in the 2005 season AFC Championship Game is as close as he has come to a Super Bowl. If the result of changes equals more wins, Bailey’s willing to accept more of them.

“I wished we could have worked it out with Mike (Shanahan), but obviously it didn’t,” Bailey said. “If (Pat Bowlen) thinks it’s necessary, I’m all for it. I’ve been through it and I know how to adjust.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m frustrated because I want to win. I’m on the back end of my career. I don’t feel like I’m going to play 10 more years. I hope I do, but … there’s no telling when this thing is going to be over.

“I’ve been ready to win since I got into the league. It’s been 11 years now.”

You’re not going to get Bailey’s attention with promises. He’s not a guy who needs the front office to dangle visions of hope in front of his eyes. With Bailey, it’s that old saying, “Action speaks louder than words.”

“My thing is, I like to see results,” he said. “You can talk all you want, but unless I see this thing coming together physically … It all looks good in the classroom, but when we get out there on the field, it’s about doing the right things -– putting pressure on the quarterbacks, covering the heck out of people.

“I don’t get caught up in what you say about how things are going to be. Everybody predicts pretty weather. If it gets bad, we’ve got to get out of it. We’ll figure it out as we go, but right now, it’s just wait-and-see.”

Bailey turns 31 in June. In two weeks, his new coach turns 33. With McDaniels, Bailey is looking at the Gatorade cooler as half-full instead of half-empty.

“I’ll let you give me reasons not to believe in you,” Bailey said. “I know one thing -– you can’t win if you don’t believe in the head coach. Automatically, I’m going to try to buy into his system.

“He hasn’t given me any reason not to up to this point. He comes in, demands respect, discipline and he’s always real sharp about everything he talks about. He gets into the meeting room and demands that attention. Guys can really understand where he’s coming from.

“I have no reason to doubt that he can win here. It’s all about getting it done now.”

That’s not to say McDaniels didn’t catch Bailey’s attention during the soap opera that led to the Broncos trading quarterback Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears.

“That’s how the league is,” Bailey said. “He tutored Matt Cassel from the ground up, pretty much. They won 11 games last year, so I can understand where he’s coming from. At the same time, you do have a Pro Bowl quarterback, a great talent, one of the best in the league.

“But this league is all about guys getting their guys. When you get a new head coach, they don’t keep the same (assistant) head coaches around. They get their own guys.

“The same goes for players. It’s a business and it’s like that. I mean, I can compare Jay Cutler’s situation to when I got traded. He’s coming off one Pro Bowl season. I came off four, and I got traded. Really, when I look at it, I could have gotten mad about it. But I never was (Redskins owner) Dan Snyder’s guy. He didn’t draft me -– Charley Casserly drafted me.

“So, I know how this thing goes and I wish people would understand that it’s a business. You can’t get your ego caught up in this thing.”

There’s one thing that catches you about being around Bailey, and that is he’s not a guy with an ego. He’s the cover cornerback supreme who, at a shade above 190 pounds, will come up and drop the hammer on a 240-pound running back if necessary. It’s not about ego for Bailey.

But Bailey realizes there are whispers growing louder that he’s no longer the best cornerback in the NFL. He’s coming off a season in which he missed seven games because of a severe groin injury. He suffered an elbow injury in the regular-season finale.

All that, and Father Time is running a fly pattern in his direction.

“You can’t help but hear it all the time,” Bailey said. “It’s really about how I evaluate myself. I know I can be the best out there.

“I think about Deion Sanders when he came to Washington. Going into his 11th season (1999), people were questioning him. He got released after his 11th season and wound up in Washington (in 2000). That’s when I made my first Pro Bowl. It was weird, not hearing his name mentioned among the best. In his 10th season, he was great. In his 11th season, he was just OK. He retired after his 12th season.

“My thing is, I have a lot of pride. But I don’t have so much that I’m not going to accept change in my game and my body. If I lose a step physically, I’m going to enhance my game mentally. I’ll figure out a way to make up for losing that step, one way or another.

“But I’m not worried about it. It’s one of those things that’s going to happen. The greatest of the greatest go down and try to keep playing. They’re not the same, but they’re still effective. Whether it’s my 13th, 14th or 20th season, I’m going to keep on fighting.”

The Broncos are a long ways from being set, roster-wise, for the start of training camp. The draft is later this month. The possibilities still are open for major trades and free-agent signings. In other words, there still is more change ahead for Bailey to ponder before the start of the regular season in September.

“I’m ready to get this bitter taste out of my mouth,” Bailey said. “I hated the way the season ended last year.”

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/200...904139963/1063
dragondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,877

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
I’m ready to get this bitter taste out of my mouth,” Bailey said. “I hated the way the season ended last year.”
I hear that
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

Gotta love our Champ.

The critics dont talk about him enough. Losing him last year was KILLER! I hope that he can stay healthy this year and be a big impact as usual.

With an ounce of pressure Champ will easily have 6 picks next year.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondawg View Post
“That’s how the league is,” Bailey said. “He tutored Matt Cassel from the ground up, pretty much. They won 11 games last year, so I can understand where he’s coming from. At the same time, you do have a Pro Bowl quarterback, a great talent, one of the best in the league.

“But this league is all about guys getting their guys. When you get a new head coach, they don’t keep the same (assistant) head coaches around. They get their own guys.
Yet another guy - an important guy - who speaks of Josh trying to trade for Cassel as an accepted fact. A foregone conclusion.

The overwhelming consensus now is Josh tried to trade for Cassel. I just can't imagine what goes through the minds of people who ignore that reality at this late date.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,634

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Quote:
Don’t get me wrong, I’m frustrated because I want to win. I’m on the back end of my career. I don’t feel like I’m going to play 10 more years. I hope I do, but … there’s no telling when this thing is going to be over.

“I’ve been ready to win since I got into the league. It’s been 11 years now.
Translation: We better start winning in Denver or else...

Last edited by 24champ; 04-14-2009 at 10:19 PM..
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,877

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Yet another guy - an important guy - who speaks of Josh trying to trade for Cassel as an accepted fact. A foregone conclusion.

The overwhelming consensus now is Josh tried to trade for Cassel. I just can't imagine what goes through the minds of people who ignore that reality at this late date.
Even if he did that does not excuse Cutlers actions and it was Pat that insisted Jay be traded.

Sometimes pictures help;

McDaniels mistake


Cutlers mistake

Last edited by baja; 04-14-2009 at 10:22 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,697

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Yet another guy - an important guy - who speaks of Josh trying to trade for Cassel as an accepted fact. A foregone conclusion.

The overwhelming consensus now is Josh tried to trade for Cassel. I just can't imagine what goes through the minds of people who ignore that reality at this late date.
dude, its over. everyone in the world knows that the trade was cutler for picks and cassel, no one has ever made any indication, ever, that it was mcdaniels that initiated that talks. he has denied it since day 1 to this day, as has everyone involved, and no one has said that he DID initiate the talks. let it go.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Tyrant
Solid Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 232
Default

Nobody loves Champ more than me....but,

if he picks off that pass against the Steelers in the 1st quarter of the AFC Championship Game, he would have a ring right now.
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #9
worm
Great moments are born...
 
worm's Avatar
 
...from great opportunity

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,902

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
Nobody loves Champ more than me....but,

if he picks off that pass against the Steelers in the 1st quarter of the AFC Championship Game, he would have a ring right now.
If he doesn't do it in the Pats game there would have been no Steeler game.

See how this works?
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 14,968
Default

Quote:
That’s not to say McDaniels didn’t catch Bailey’s attention during the soap opera that led to the Broncos trading quarterback Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears.

“That’s how the league is,” Bailey said. “He tutored Matt Cassel from the ground up, pretty much. They won 11 games last year, so I can understand where he’s coming from. At the same time, you do have a Pro Bowl quarterback, a great talent, one of the best in the league.

“But this league is all about guys getting their guys. When you get a new head coach, they don’t keep the same (assistant) head coaches around. They get their own guys."
and people said Champ Bailey disliked Cutler? Sounds like he was on Jay's side.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Yet another guy - an important guy - who speaks of Josh trying to trade for Cassel as an accepted fact. A foregone conclusion.

The overwhelming consensus now is Josh tried to trade for Cassel. I just can't imagine what goes through the minds of people who ignore that reality at this late date.
I've yet to hear one person on this board claim that talks didn't occur. Even McDaniels himself admitted that there were discussions, and that considering all options was his job.

It's like you're having this argument with no one, yet you keep reposting the same thing as if someone is arguing.

Is there anyone? I've yet to see it.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #12
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
dude, its over. everyone in the world knows that the trade was cutler for picks and cassel, no one has ever made any indication, ever, that it was mcdaniels that initiated that talks. he has denied it since day 1 to this day, as has everyone involved, and no one has said that he DID initiate the talks. let it go.
No, McDaniels changed a bit the first few days .... originally, he/they said "there were no trade talks." But after a day or two he/they changed it to "Well, we fielded calls, but said no way. Jay is our quarterback." In the ensuing days/couple weeks, it became clear that several teams were involved in the discussions, and the talks were pretty extensive.

And I'll let it go when I'm ready ... and I'm ready this Friday night at midnight. One week before Draft Day.


Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Even if he did that does not excuse Cutlers actions and it was Pat that insisted Jay be traded.
I agree with all of that, always have. I just don't get why you keep lumping me in with the others. I have said over and over for weeks now that this fiasco is mostly Jay's fault. But I also believe Josh lied/misled him.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.L.F. View Post
Translation: We better start winning in Denver or else...
Well, he's been on a ****ty team for three years. I don't blame him for being a bit pissed, with his career winding down.

Hopefully McDaniels and Co. can help Champ earns the title he deserves.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #14
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTribbey View Post
and people said Champ Bailey disliked Cutler? Sounds like he was on Jay's side.
Exactly ... the Josh-sycophants have slightly twisted a lot of this stuff. NOW tsiguy says, "sure, there were alotta talks." But when this first started, the pro-Josh people believed it when he said, "all we did was answer the phone, and we just said NO, Jay is our quarterback." That's a virtual direct Josh quote from early on. But now - now that we know several teams were involved and the talks were pretty deep - now that quote is forgotten by many.

There was definite movement in Josh's story. He dug his heels in pretty quick and never budged afterward ... but there was some movement early.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #15
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

Buff, do you have the quote handy where Josh said he never entertained any offers?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #16
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,877

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
No, McDaniels changed a bit the first few days .... originally, he/they said "there were no trade talks." But after a day or two he/they changed it to "Well, we fielded calls, but said no way. Jay is our quarterback." In the ensuing days/couple weeks, it became clear that several teams were involved in the discussions, and the talks were pretty extensive.

And I'll let it go when I'm ready ... and I'm ready this Friday night at midnight. One week before Draft Day.




I agree with all of that, always have. I just don't get why you keep lumping me in with the others. I have said over and over for weeks now that this fiasco is mostly Jay's fault. But I also believe Josh lied/misled him.
Come on dude this isn't rocket science. Our differences are simple, given the deal we got I'm glad Cutler is gone and you're not.

Oh Ya and I think McDaniels has a good shot to do good to great things here and you think he is a walking disaster.

Last edited by baja; 04-14-2009 at 11:30 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #17
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Come on dude this isn't rocket science. Oh Ya and I think McDaniels has a good shot to do good to great things here and you think he is a walking disaster.
Whoa there Cowboy ... see, this is exactly what I'm talking about! There is FAR more extremism on the pro-Josh side of this debate. Fact is, you mis-quote me and wrongly attribute beliefs to me pretty regularly, most clearly right there, perfect example: I do NOT think Josh is a walking disaster, not by a longshot!. In fact, I have repeatedly said I think he's as good an offensive coach as you'll find anywhere in the game. I am VERY excited to see this offense ... I hope Hillis plays a lot.

What I'm not thrilled about is a narrow set of problems: The handing of so much front office power to such a brash, inexperienced kid. I think the majority of people here agree with that. He should've been downstairs coaching exclusively. At his age and as a first-time head coach, that is a full plate. I also believe he used this power to slide/push Goodman out, and stubbornly refused to cop to what he did to Jay (after lying/misleading him). Those are just my opinions/guesses. Jay Cutler had no motivation to lie. (Nooo BroncoBuff! Jay and Bus Cook wanted a new contract BroncoBuff! Oops. )

But these criticisms have nothing to do with his coaching skills or whether he'll win games. They are strictly criticisms that with his inexperience, he has no business running the front office.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:04 AM   #18
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,634

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Well, he's been on a ****ty team for three years. I don't blame him for being a bit pissed, with his career winding down.

Hopefully McDaniels and Co. can help Champ earns the title he deserves.
No disagreement here Popps.

I will say this though, if we don't do well this season. It's Champs last season as a Bronco.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:04 AM   #19
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Pete Carroll is a douche

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,529

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Yet another guy - an important guy - who speaks of Josh trying to trade for Cassel as an accepted fact. A foregone conclusion.

The overwhelming consensus now is Josh tried to trade for Cassel. I just can't imagine what goes through the minds of people who ignore that reality at this late date.
That's not what his quote said. All he said was McDaniels groomed him and he understood why he wanted him. That point has never been disputed. There is never a quote by Bailey saying "Josh McDaniels tried to trade Cutler for Cassel."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTribbey View Post
and people said Champ Bailey disliked Cutler? Sounds like he was on Jay's side.


First of all, you're cherry picking your quotes. You conveniently ignored this sentence.

Quote:
“So, I know how this thing goes and I wish people would understand that it’s a business. You can’t get your ego caught up in this thing.”
Secondly, whether or not Bailey likes someone isn't going to affect who's side he would take.

Finally, why do so many of you expect Bailey to throw one of his teammates under the bus? He doesn't like Jay, but that doesn't mean he's going to stop being the complete pro we know him to be go all angry douche-bag on Cutler now that he's gone by calling him out in the press. Has he ever done that? Why would he start now? Good grief, have some common sense.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,229

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Gotta love our Champ.

The critics dont talk about him enough. Losing him last year was KILLER! I hope that he can stay healthy this year and be a big impact as usual.

With an ounce of pressure Champ will easily have 6 picks next year.
and with the front 7 being decent againt the run he won't sustain injuries from being the only guy on the team capable of tackling a 230lbs RB. if our frint 7 can be even half way decent, Champ will have a great year. his year will already be better because he won't be playing 10 yards off the receiver every play this season.


i truthfully don't think Champ's game dropped off last season or the year before, i think it was just the systems of the defenses and the inept coaching from our coordinators. he was forced to cover for everyone else on the team and change his duties from cover the receiver first to cover everyone elses ass first and then cover his man 2nd which led to a couple bad seasons and injuries.

a little help in the front 7 and he is back to his old self.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:23 AM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,229

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTribbey View Post
and people said Champ Bailey disliked Cutler? Sounds like he was on Jay's side.
he was following the talent and the guy who was rapidly becoming a guy who could lead this team to a championship. personally Champ probably thinks Jay was a whiny b****, but he also knew, that he was one of the best in the league at his position and that he would have been better off having Jay take the snaps over almost anyone else.

for example Peyton Manning is a royal douchebag and has thrown teammates under the bus, but his teammates will take his side in any dispute because he is the best in the game and gives them the best chance to win.

that's what it comes down to. that's the reason TO still had teams willing to sign him, the reason Pacman got a chance in Dallas and why other thugs and general a-holes still get paid to play, they have talent and can make a team better for a short time at least.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:24 AM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,229

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Well, he's been on a ****ty team for three years. I don't blame him for being a bit pissed, with his career winding down.

Hopefully McDaniels and Co. can help Champ earns the title he deserves.
if McDaniels can't do it, Belicheat more than likely will when Champ leaves as a FA

Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 04-15-2009 at 12:27 AM..
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:28 AM   #23
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,877

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Whoa there Cowboy ... see, this is exactly what I'm talking about! There is FAR more extremism on the pro-Josh side of this debate. Fact is, you mis-quote me and wrongly attribute beliefs to me pretty regularly, most clearly right there, perfect example: I do NOT think Josh is a walking disaster, not by a longshot!. In fact, I have repeatedly said I think he's as good an offensive coach as you'll find anywhere in the game. I am VERY excited to see this offense ... I hope Hillis plays a lot.

What I'm not thrilled about is a narrow set of problems: The handing of so much front office power to such a brash, inexperienced kid. I think the majority of people here agree with that. He should've been downstairs coaching exclusively. At his age and as a first-time head coach, that is a full plate. I also believe he used this power to slide/push Goodman out, and stubbornly refused to cop to what he did to Jay (after lying/misleading him). Those are just my opinions/guesses. Jay Cutler had no motivation to lie. (Nooo BroncoBuff! Jay and Bus Cook wanted a new contract BroncoBuff! Oops. )

But these criticisms have nothing to do with his coaching skills or whether he'll win games. They are strictly criticisms that with his inexperience, he has no business running the front office.
OK I get it
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:20 AM   #24
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit
 
broncogary's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
and with the front 7 being decent againt the run he won't sustain injuries from being the only guy on the team capable of tackling a 230lbs RB. if our frint 7 can be even half way decent, Champ will have a great year. his year will already be better because he won't be playing 10 yards off the receiver every play this season.


i truthfully don't think Champ's game dropped off last season or the year before, i think it was just the systems of the defenses and the inept coaching from our coordinators. he was forced to cover for everyone else on the team and change his duties from cover the receiver first to cover everyone elses ass first and then cover his man 2nd which led to a couple bad seasons and injuries.

a little help in the front 7 and he is back to his old self.
How do we know that he won't play 10 yards off? He said he liked to play facing the QB. And I'd be a lot happier if he'd do his own job first.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:45 AM   #25
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco
 
eddie mac's Avatar
 
Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 16,621

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Yet another guy - an important guy - who speaks of Josh trying to trade for Cassel as an accepted fact. A foregone conclusion.

The overwhelming consensus now is Josh tried to trade for Cassel. I just can't imagine what goes through the minds of people who ignore that reality at this late date.
Where the **** did you get "trying to trade for" from Bailey's quote
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Denver Broncos