The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo
Default Maximizing the Draft.

I have really been thinking about how we can best use the picks that we have to be better next year. Do we take all defense? Should we get projects or 1st year starters? What is the best way for Denver to be successful in the shortest about of time?

Then I remembered watching something about the 90's Cowboys and their attitude after the Hershall Walker trade. They went into the draft figuring that they were playing with the house's money, they got players that they wouldn't have picked if they didn't have the extra picks. They were able to be aggressive.

We have 2 additional picks in the first 3 rounds this year, and I say that we do the same thing. Stir the pot. Take Defensive front 7 with "our" 1st 3 picks like everyone expects, but with the other 2 go the other way. Draft a RB or CB at 18, draft a OL or WR in the 3rd. Take a player that you love that doesn't fit the most pressing need, but is an upgrade to what you got.

I know everyone wants NT, OLB and DE with our 1st 3 picks, and that is fine. Just what I think we should do. How would you maximize this year's draft?
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Where's Plummer???
orton has plummers beard

Orton Is A Team Leader!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

i believe a DL is the biggest thing. but after that go with a QB or RB who can sit back and learn for a few yrs. and dont make th mistake that was made w/ plummer where 1/2 way through the season when hes taking you to the playoffs bench him for the new guy.
Where's Plummer??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
TheDave
Sauced...

The Cowboys also got 7 draft picks over 3 years and 5 players... We didn't do nearly that well.

IMO... Don't over think this, pick the best player at an area of need for each selection and hope for the best.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

What if the best player on our board is not at a "NEED" area? Should we pass on talent?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
What if the best player on our board is not at a "NEED" area? Should we pass on talent?
depends. no OL, WR, TE, QB, CB in first 3 rounds. when a team has as many holes on defense as this one, you dont waste picks on luxury players.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Get as many defensive starters/rotation contributors as possible.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Pick the best player period! Any position on the team could be upgraded except maybe OT.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
depends. no OL, WR, TE, QB, CB in first 3 rounds. when a team has as many holes on defense as this one, you dont waste picks on luxury players.
I think we are going to be surprised day 1 with at least one of the picks. I could easily see us going RB in the first or even CB in the first if a Malcolm Jenkins is still there. I almost for certain see us drafting a OG in the 3rd. We don't know how McD thinks. He is going to draft a certain way, and sense nobody knows, it could be anyone.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post
Pick the best player period! Any position on the team could be upgraded except maybe OT.
Exactly. OT is the only position I really don't expect to see any action at.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
Where's Plummer???
orton has plummers beard

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post

Idk... the entire OL is pretty solid... id leave it be... but a TE would be nice... but deffinately pick up DL first, after that talent
Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #11
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

I'm fine with taking an OL if that's where the talent is at when our number comes up. You can never have enough good OL. Of course I would prefer something else but I will never again be mad if we take OL or DL.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

There is NO SUCH THING as the best player. Why so many people believe in that philosophy befuddles me. None of these players have proved anything at the PRO level and all are legitimate risks. You evaluate many players and try to rank them on your own big board but I highly doubt it's as cut and paste as many think. You do draft based on need and rank both. There is no such thing as player A must be picked because he has a higher rank over player B.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
I'm fine with taking an OL if that's where the talent is at when our number comes up. You can never have enough good OL. Of course I would prefer something else but I will never again be mad if we take OL or DL.
the team is not so bad that we need to take BPA regardless of position. very few if any teams draft like that. we have a good OL, good TE, good WR so we dont take them if we can fill a real position of need. tahts what the draft is for, getting players to fill holes not just collect really good players in a few positions especially if you dont need them.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #14
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Put it this way. If the talent available at the spot says you go for a lineman then go for the lineman. Why reach for a CB or a safety, etc? If the lineman works out you can trade him, or the other excess talent, for far more than the pick was ever worth and get a proven guy for the other position you really need. You can't trade for a lineman. I'm not advocating reaching for linemen either but if it's a wash and you don't know who to pick or the talent isn't there for a need position I will always take the lineman. If you hit your picks with lineman you can't fail. You will be at the very least semi competitive.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #15
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Well luckily for us we have needs for any position on the defense
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #16
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Well luckily for us we have needs for any position on the defense
I am saying for example if we have a RB as the top player on our board at 18. Do we take him? Or Malcolm Jenkins at 18?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #17
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
There is NO SUCH THING as the best player. Why so many people believe in that philosophy befuddles me. None of these players have proved anything at the PRO level and all are legitimate risks. You evaluate many players and try to rank them on your own big board but I highly doubt it's as cut and paste as many think. You do draft based on need and rank both. There is no such thing as player A must be picked because he has a higher rank over player B.
It's the difference between the Lions taking Stafford and taking Curry.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #18
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
So if the best player on the board is an offensive tackle, the Broncos should take him simply because they shouldn't pass on talent?
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #19
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Hamilton isn't getting any younger. Our line is solid now. Will it be solid in a year or two?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #20
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Hamilton isn't getting any younger. Our line is solid now. Will it be solid in a year or two?
Clady could blow out his knee the first day of training camp, affecting the rest of his career, should Denver pass on a tackle because something might happen to him?
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #21
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
So if the best player on the board is an offensive tackle, the Broncos should take him simply because they shouldn't pass on talent?
Do you think that the OT is going to be an upgrade?

Ok say the top of the list looks like this at #18

OT
RB
WR
CB
RB
DE

What I am saying is do we take the DE because it is our biggest need? The first round and the draft in general is such a crap shoot that I would take the player I felt best about at that spot.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #22
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Clady could blow out his knee the first day of training camp, affecting the rest of his career, should Denver pass on a tackle because something might happen to him?
Something could happen to any of the guys on the line. Why not take a preventative measure if there isn't somebody else worthy of the selection and you can't move the pick to somebody else?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #23
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Something could happen to any of the guys on the line. Why not take a preventative measure if there isn't somebody else worthy of the selection and you can't move the pick to somebody else?
now you are just saying **** to try and prove your point. under no circumstance do we ignore defense in the first 2 rounds just because offensive talent is projected to be marginally better. its a team sport, you pick the players to best help the team, not best back up the people helping the team.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #24
Where's Plummer???
orton has plummers beard

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
now you are just saying **** to try and prove your point. under no circumstance do we ignore defense in the first 2 rounds just because offensive talent is projected to be marginally better. its a team sport, you pick the players to best help the team, not best back up the people helping the team.
lemme ask you if someone like sanchez just happens to be there when its our turn do we take him or stuill strictly D?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #25
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

They better not take Mark Sanchez.
That will make the draft an F- no matter what happens afterwards.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote