The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Default 10 reasons we will be a top 15 defense

I posted some of this on another thread but wanted to know to hear some insight on it......I know I'll take some heat for this as people love to be pessimistic bout our D but I honestly beleive the defense improvements on this team are far more than people realize.

1. Last season ending - last season the whole attitude was simply that the defense was dragging the team down and the wheels just fell off, granted they were dragging us down, a new season brings a new attitude every single time

2. The injuries on Defense - Start of the new season again, we'll start out in full force and I simply can't see us being hit with the injury bug nearly as bad as last year

3. Our youth getting better - Larsen, Woodyard, Barrett, Jack Williams, Powell, Moss, Crowder, Thomas - although learning a new system, they will still be physically better than last year, it's a simple matter of being in a pro off-season program.

4. Returning talent, we honestly do have some talent on that Defense, Champ Bailey, DJ Williams (both missed tons of last year) Thomas is under-rated.... any talent we had is definately back cept for maybe Bly but he had ran his course

5. New Additions granted every off-season people get a little too excited for how good thier new blood are actually gonna be - we did improve the talent level, Brian Dawkins and Reynaldo Hill automatically make the weakest part of our team a very respected and experienced one. Goodman, Feilds, Andra Davis will all contribute.

6. Experience - we simply didn't have it this year and having youth is always good but you need somewhat of a balance.

7. Mike Nolan. Mike Nolan. Mike Nolan. he has definately created some of the best defenses of the modern era, and more so he makes linebackers better everywhere he goes he turns good linebackers into studs (DJ Williams?)

8. A more balanced offense - Last year we were deadly, but we slung that thing up every play, this year with more running backs (and hopefully less injuries there) I beleive we will have a more balanced offense that can get a lead maintain a lean or come from behind, people may disagree because Mickey D likes to pass alot, but the difference from last year is we [B]HAD TO PASS ALOT[B] liking to pass and having to pass are two completely different things.

9. Improved Specail teams - this always helps your offense and defense, and it's general rule of thumb that 3-4 teams have better specail teams because we have more linebacker builds to kick ass on ST. Plus we just simply can't be any worse than last year.

10. Draft Picks.... you'd have to catasrophically F this draft up to not add alot of talent to this D
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Improved sure...top 15...dunno about that
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Whose on the defense again?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I'd be thrilled with top-20 play from our D.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I'd be thrilled with a 3 and out once every qtr this season.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
DBBBSBS
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Team Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Whose on the defense again?
You are not there.. isn't that enough
DBBBSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Personally I thought if we had a safety last year who was breathing we would have been so much better ... I seen our safeties take angles and miss read stuff last year that you just can't do and make a pay check for it ...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I actually think the defense will by much improved this season. Because the rankings are based on yardage I don't know how high we'll be ranked as I think the biggest improvements will come from increased turnovers and less TD's in the red zone. I can't put into words how bad our defensive coaching was. Was there a lack of talent? Sure. But the new staff of Nolan and the tremendous position coaches will not only instill a better scheme than we had last season but I believe they will bring a new toughness and physicality to the defense as well as improved technique such as tackling and pass-rushing moves. If we had brought back the exact same players with this staff I'd be optimistic for significant improvement. That fact we've replaced idiotic, undersized and/or unathletic players (Winborn, Webster, Engelberger, Manual, etc.) with hard-working, smarter, bigger guys (Dawkins, Davis, Hill, Fields, etc.) is another reason for optimism. If we can land on our draft picks to even bring in solid contributing guys, let alone hit in a Clady/Royal fashion, I think our defense could be amongst the most improved units in the league.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword View Post
I posted some of this on another thread but wanted to know to hear some insight on it......I know I'll take some heat for this as people love to be pessimistic bout our D but I honestly beleive the defense improvements on this team are far more than people realize.

1. Last season ending - last season the whole attitude was simply that the defense was dragging the team down and the wheels just fell off, granted they were dragging us down, a new season brings a new attitude every single time

2. The injuries on Defense - Start of the new season again, we'll start out in full force and I simply can't see us being hit with the injury bug nearly as bad as last year

3. Our youth getting better - Larsen, Woodyard, Barrett, Jack Williams, Powell, Moss, Crowder, Thomas - although learning a new system, they will still be physically better than last year, it's a simple matter of being in a pro off-season program.

4. Returning talent, we honestly do have some talent on that Defense, Champ Bailey, DJ Williams (both missed tons of last year) Thomas is under-rated.... any talent we had is definately back cept for maybe Bly but he had ran his course

5. New Additions granted every off-season people get a little too excited for how good thier new blood are actually gonna be - we did improve the talent level, Brian Dawkins and Reynaldo Hill automatically make the weakest part of our team a very respected and experienced one. Goodman, Feilds, Andra Davis will all contribute.

6. Experience - we simply didn't have it this year and having youth is always good but you need somewhat of a balance.

7. Mike Nolan. Mike Nolan. Mike Nolan. he has definately created some of the best defenses of the modern era, and more so he makes linebackers better everywhere he goes he turns good linebackers into studs (DJ Williams?)

8. A more balanced offense - Last year we were deadly, but we slung that thing up every play, this year with more running backs (and hopefully less injuries there) I beleive we will have a more balanced offense that can get a lead maintain a lean or come from behind, people may disagree because Mickey D likes to pass alot, but the difference from last year is we [B]HAD TO PASS ALOT[B] liking to pass and having to pass are two completely different things.

9. Improved Specail teams - this always helps your offense and defense, and it's general rule of thumb that 3-4 teams have better specail teams because we have more linebacker builds to kick ass on ST. Plus we just simply can't be any worse than last year.

10. Draft Picks.... you'd have to catasrophically F this draft up to not add alot of talent to this D
Didn't we just trade a 3rd year Franchise QB coming off of 4500 yards and 25 TD's--a trade the likes of which has never been seen in recent NFL memory--Can we **** this up--ABSO-*-*-*-*-I-N-G--LUTELY. TOP 15 D?

WTF?

1) we have NO NT!
2) we have no rush LB's! -can doom cover? NO. Can Moss rush? NO. hence we have no rush LB
3) We do not have a running game that can control the clock +
no pressure on the other team's QB= other teams having T.O.P advantages = more chances to score and pick up yards. If we are in the top 22 I'd be surprised.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

10 reasons you are high.

That said....I hope you are right.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
Personally I thought if we had a safety last year who was breathing we would have been so much better ... I seen our safeties take angles and miss read stuff last year that you just can't do and make a pay check for it ...

We shouldn't have let Lynch go. An old slow m'fer is better than what we fielded.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #12
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

You have to define what you mean by "Top 15."

Yards allowed? Points allowed? And you also have to consider our schedule. I just don't see it.

In terms of yards, Pitt, Baltimore, Philly, Washington, Giants, Minnesota, Tennessee, Dallas, Tampa Bay, and New England were top 10 last year and there is no way we pass up any of them, yards OR points.

Then you have Indy, San Francisco, Miami, Jets, and San Diego (healthy Merriman). They didn't finish in this order last year but these are all teams who will have a better defense than the Broncos.

It's not going to happen. But 18 or 19 is, at least, possible. Still unlikely.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #13
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

I think we'll take strides. But I also think that statistically it will appear to be minimal. Our schedule has us against some high octane offenses that will score points. Our D is going to have to take BIG strides this year just to keep us from getting obliterated.

I think we'll be better this year, even better next year, maybe even top 15 as you say. I just don't think that the teams we're coming up against will allow for such a statistical improvement.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #14
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

_

<---------
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #15
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

We will make strides IMO, but top 15? What are you smoking because it must be some freakin good stuff!
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #16
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
We will make strides IMO, but top 15? What are you smoking because it must be some freakin good stuff!
Not many people here are smoking better **** than I've got.. And not even I am high enough to crown us top 15 just because our new coach is "No Nonsense."
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post

We shouldn't have let Lynch go. An old slow m'fer is better than what we fielded.
Lynch would have helped on 1st and 2nd down last year. Funny but 3rd down has been the killer the last 4 years.

Anyway Lynch started the precedent that Cutler followed. He felt slighted and wanted out of town when told he would only be used in a reduced role.

Cutler watched how a 9 time pro-bowler player acted to being slighted and did the same thing only he was called a crybaby while Lynch was considered classy even though he talked about being a leader on and off the field.

We still need to draft at least one S this year as Dawkins only has a couple years left in the tank, if we are lucky.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #18
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword View Post
Hmm, yes. And every team in the league is getting a new season, and thus a new attitude, no?

Quote:
And getting healthy over the offseason applies only to the Broncos. No other teams had injuries last year, or else they will all suffer lots of injuries in training camp.

Quote:
Again, only the Broncos have young players, and only those players in Denver will improve physically from a pro off-season program.

Quote:
So your argument is that Denver didn't lose many talented players? You do of course realize that the same is true of most teams. And almost every team started with far more talent to return than we did. But of course, this will have a positive effect only for the broncos because, I mean, they're playing for the team and the patriot way, right?

Quote:
Little known fact: only the Broncos added players in the offseason.

Quote:
Having more experience by being a year older, again this can benefit only the Broncos.

Quote:

Sure.

Quote:
Again, the Broncos alone have draft picks.

Basically, 7 of your reasons for why our ranking relative to other teams will improve drastically are things that will affect all teams. So this should provide no boost to our team's relative rankings.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #19
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

A 3 and out in the 4th quarter is what I'm hoping for.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #20
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
A 3 and out in the 4th quarter is what I'm hoping for.
In the 4th quarter, the other teams will more than likely have their second teamers out there--and I don't have much faith is us stopping Kevin Kolb or even Tyler Thigpen
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #21
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Yeah, I think we'll improve. Then again, I think you could string together an argument like this about every side of every team every offseason.
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #22
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

If they could find one phase of the game to get good at and focus on that I would be happy.

I don't care where the D is ranked if they can't make a stop when they need to.

I say with the 3-4 focus on stopping the run. Punish ball carriers and force them to pass. Do not allow teams like Buffalo with their 3rd string back to run on the D late in the season at home and we may win some games.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #23
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

There's only one way to go .... UP.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #24
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

The difference between the number 30th defense in points allowed (Denver) and the 15th is only about a touchdown. Allowing one fewer TD a game seems reasonable to me.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #25
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
In the 4th quarter, the other teams will more than likely have their second teamers out there--and I don't have much faith is us stopping Kevin Kolb or even Tyler Thigpen
That's true but after last season 3 and outs would be nice.

We should bet Baja on rather our first defensive series will be 3 and out our not.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote