The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default NFL Replay - Chicago @ Atlanta - Orton Observations

So, by chance, I turn on the NFL Network after Dinner and the Bears are playing the Falcons on NFL Replay. So I decided to observe our new star QB.

Positives:

Arm Strength: I don't know what you nay-sayers are talking about, Orton can zip the football. No, he's not going to launch it 60 yards across field, but in terms of velocity, there won't be any problems. He can throw the ball and throw it hard.

Quick Release: He gets the ball out fast. Chicago's protection wasn't the best, but Orton got the ball out so quick that Atlanta's pass rush couldn't get to him. John Abraham said something to the effect of "It felt like we would barely get out of our stances and he would already have thrown it. It was frustrating." Something like that.

Pocket Presence/Checking Down: Cutler was good at two things, extending the play and firing a ball into coverage for a big play. He rarely checked down. Orton can't extend the play as well as Cutler, but he knows when to check down when the pocket is collapsing. Usually for first downs or good gains that make first downs easier to get. Like I said, he won't get sacked much. Especially with our line.

Intelligence: Throughout the entire game I didn't see one "Cutler-esque" throw from Orton. He was smart with the football and didn't take chances in double and triple coverage like Cutler has. When the downfield throw wasn't there, he checked down to Forte or his TEs for 5-10 yards.

Clutchness: With just over a minute left, Chicago needed a TD and PAT to go ahead. Orton led the Bears down the field working the underneath routes and a 13 yard strike to Hester on 3rd down to set up a 3rd down at the Atlanta 20-25 yard line. There, he fires a beautiful corner route to Rasheed Davis with a guy draped all over him for the TD and the lead with 11 seconds left. Unfortunatly, the Bears' squib kick sucked and Matty Ice was able to fire a 20+ yard deep out with one second left and gave Elam a chance to win.

Negatives:

Accuracy: When Orton had time, his accuracy was quite good. He fired the ball where only his man could get it. However, when things started collapsing, while he was able to avoid the pressure, he was hurried and the pass wasn't as accurate.

Playmaking: While I have faith in Orton to be an efficent, effective QB in McDaniels' system, he won't make those "Holy **** that was crazy" plays that Cutler has made for us in the past. He'll move the offense efficiently, safely. Just not dynamically. At least not often.

Overall, I was impressed. He's not going to WOW you on a regular basis, but he can make those impressive throws, like the TD to Davis. He's obviously not the dynamic, physical stud like Cutler, but he also won't be the guy that throws endzone picks and loses games like Cutler. He's a good QB.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Oh, and he sucks on Fades. But he threw like 3 perfect ones against the Eagles, so I don't know. But I've seen a lot of bad fade routes from Orton. Not even long ones.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Swedish Extrovert
President of the Universe

Formerly known as mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

I've looked up on him a lot recently and this was pretty much what I've been seeing of Orton. A smart, efficient QB, with a good pocket presence.

Then again, Griese had all those qualities too.
Swedish Extrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
So, by chance, I turn on the NFL Network after Dinner and the Bears are playing the Falcons on NFL Replay. So I decided to observe our new star QB.

Positives:

Arm Strength: I don't know what you nay-sayers are talking about, Orton can zip the football. No, he's not going to launch it 60 yards across field, but in terms of velocity, there won't be any problems. He can throw the ball and throw it hard.

Quick Release: He gets the ball out fast. Chicago's protection wasn't the best, but Orton got the ball out so quick that Atlanta's pass rush couldn't get to him. John Abraham said something to the effect of "It felt like we would barely get out of our stances and he would already have thrown it. It was frustrating." Something like that.

Pocket Presence/Checking Down: Cutler was good at two things, extending the play and firing a ball into coverage for a big play. He rarely checked down. Orton can't extend the play as well as Cutler, but he knows when to check down when the pocket is collapsing. Usually for first downs or good gains that make first downs easier to get. Like I said, he won't get sacked much. Especially with our line.

Intelligence: Throughout the entire game I didn't see one "Cutler-esque" throw from Orton. He was smart with the football and didn't take chances in double and triple coverage like Cutler has. When the downfield throw wasn't there, he checked down to Forte or his TEs for 5-10 yards.

Clutchness: With just over a minute left, Chicago needed a TD and PAT to go ahead. Orton led the Bears down the field working the underneath routes and a 13 yard strike to Hester on 3rd down to set up a 3rd down at the Atlanta 20-25 yard line. There, he fires a beautiful corner route to Rasheed Davis with a guy draped all over him for the TD and the lead with 11 seconds left. Unfortunatly, the Bears' squib kick sucked and Matty Ice was able to fire a 20+ yard deep out with one second left and gave Elam a chance to win.

Negatives:

Accuracy: When Orton had time, his accuracy was quite good. He fired the ball where only his man could get it. However, when things started collapsing, while he was able to avoid the pressure, he was hurried and the pass wasn't as accurate.

Playmaking: While I have faith in Orton to be an efficent, effective QB in McDaniels' system, he won't make those "Holy **** that was crazy" plays that Cutler has made for us in the past. He'll move the offense efficiently, safely. Just not dynamically. At least not often.

Overall, I was impressed. He's not going to WOW you on a regular basis, but he can make those impressive throws, like the TD to Davis. He's obviously not the dynamic, physical stud like Cutler, but he also won't be the guy that throws endzone picks and loses games like Cutler. He's a good QB.

i watched the game as well...

good breakdown and i agree with most of your sentiments...

i thought Orton looked very good...the guy was playing at a Pro Bowl level before his injury...people seem to overlook that...

as for his fades...i thought he was giving his receivers a chance to make plays one on one and his receivers weren't able to do it...if he throws those same passes to Marshall or Royal, i like our chances...

as for playmaking, yes you're right...but he';s smart enough to throw the ball away instead of forcing the ball....

Orton is smart, effecient, and a proven winner...all these yahoos saying he can't throw the out pattern have no clue of what they're talking about...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
I've looked up on him a lot recently and this was pretty much what I've been seeing of Orton. A smart, efficient QB, with a good pocket presence.

I don't think he'll injure himself by tripping over his dog or anything though...
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
KillerBronco#76
Perennial Pro-bowler

"The Beast" From the east

He has pretty much the same arm plummer had including the inaccurate deep ball but with marshall bringing down the ball that may give him some leeway...
KillerBronco#76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Sounds like he'll be a good option to hold the fort for a year or two.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

I remember the winning TD we scored against Atlanta. Highly doubt Orton couldve done that, but I guess he doesnt need to. So with Orton and McDaniels, we should be unstoppable next year.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I remember the winning TD we scored against Atlanta. Highly doubt Orton couldve done that, but I guess he doesnt need to. So with Orton and McDaniels, we should be unstoppable next year.
Orton can make that throw. The go-ahead touchdown pass HE threw against Atlanta was more impressive.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Not only will Orton become a pro bowl QB for us for years to come but McD will coach up Simms to the point where he brings us a first round pick in a trade in a year or two.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #11
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Not only will Orton become a pro bowl QB for us for years to come but McD will coach up Simms to the point where he brings us a first round pick in a trade in a year or two.

So are you saying we run a 2 QB offense? How else does this happen?
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post

So are you saying we run a 2 QB offense? How else does this happen?
Nah With Orton at the helm we get up by three scores so mid third quarter we stick in Simms for clean up but he does so well we have a budding QB controversy so McD trades Simms for a 1st and a 3rd and drafts the next Terrell Davis of QBs with the 3rd rd pick for Simms.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Orton can make that throw. The go-ahead touchdown pass HE threw against Atlanta was more impressive.
Quote:
he won't make those "Holy **** that was crazy" plays that Cutler has made for us in the past.
The play Cutler made against Atlanta was a "Holy **** that was carzy" play.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
DBBBSBS
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Team Broncos

Quote:
and the plays he made against san diego when we needed him the most was.. holy **** what the hell was that play
DBBBSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I watched the game. Orton looked good, the offensive gameplan was sooooooooo vanilla and lacking creativity.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #16
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBBBSBS View Post
and the plays he made against san diego when we needed him the most was.. holy **** what the hell was that play
Yeah, why didn't the crybaby bltch score 53 when we needed him to?

Last edited by spdirty; 04-12-2009 at 10:39 PM..
Old 04-13-2009, 12:24 AM   #17
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
the Jets game was just ridiculous. Jay made some unbelievable, jaw-dropping across his body with dudes in his face into triple coverage throws while on the run.

Just crazy stuff.

I think Kyle will be successful in this scheme with these receivers and our line. Will be he a new Cassel or Brady phenom? remains to be seen
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:52 AM   #18
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

That sounds like basically every other QB in the league. That's why any player who can successfully sack the QB in this league is paid huge money.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:49 AM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post

minus the leadership and team mentality of Orton. our guys hated playing with Griese, and Orton's teammates have nothing but good things to say about him
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBronco#76 View Post
He has pretty much the same arm plummer had including the inaccurate deep ball but with marshall bringing down the ball that may give him some leeway...
if Marshall would try to model his game after Fitzgerald, we can get by with Orton just chucking it up and letting marshall go get it. Marshall has the ability to do it, now it is just a question of desire and whether he can stay out of trouble
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:42 AM   #21
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Positives:

Negatives:

So what would you consider the most accurate description of Kyle Orton?

Poor Man's Matt Hasselbeck
Damon Huard
Chad Pennington with a slightly better arm
or a less gritty Jeff Garcia?
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:08 AM   #22
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Orton= Brian Griese incarnate.......
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:27 AM   #23
Tom A Hawk
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Positives:

Negatives:

doesn't that make it sound like the Bears were idiots for trading him to get Culter?
Tom A Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #24
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I watched the game also. A couple more observations.

1. Orton operates very well out of the spread offense. He's a cool head even when there is pressure. With our O-line, and the quality of our receivers, this should look pretty good. Not flashy, but efficient.
2. Orton doesn't get rattled. He doesn't burn time outs. He knows everyone's assignments and will be directing traffic until the last second. Cutler still showed some frustration against his teammates here. Often, you would see them have trouble lining up, then Cutler would burn an important time out and flip off his chinstrap in frustration. Orton just keeps directing traffic until everyone is set. I like that.

Last edited by cmhargrove; 04-13-2009 at 07:16 AM..
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #25
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A Hawk View Post
doesn't that make it sound like the Bears were idiots for trading him to get Culter?
If the Bears are going to be running that same lame offense next year, it does seem stupid to trade for Cutler.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote