The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default Car Audio HELP

Hey hey everybody.

So, I'm putting a sub and amp in my new (well, new to me, newest car I've ever owned ) car. 2006 honda civic ex.

Keeping the factory head unit and speakers, just adding the bass. I've installed a LOT of car audio in my day, kind of a side hobby, but this is the first time I've ever left everything stock and only added some bass. NOT HUGE spl, just a tasteful upgrade to enhance the music I'm listening to these days.

Anywho, since I'm not touching the HU yet, I'm going to be picking up a line out converter (LOC).

Anybody ever used on of these before? The one I'm lookign at is the Scosche LOC 80 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ci_sku=9066093

Couple of questions:
Has anyone used this particular model, or is there another one you'd recommend?

What kind of quality can I expect...white noise etc etc.?

Do I have to ground the remote wire somewhere (to shut the amp down with the ignition) since there isn't a terminal in the back of the factory head unit?

Does it matter which rear speaker I use the LOC with? I've heard back right, but wasn't sure if it was of extreme importance.

Again, lots of tinkering over the years with car audio, but never with a factory HU and never with ONLY a sub/amp.

Any advice/instruction would be helpful, and if it would just be worth it to swap out the HU, then I might just wait till I have more money.

Sub:

NAKAMICHI SP-W120

Amp: Kicker 400w mono it's older, but sick. The 4 ohm load's only 200w, but it'll sound pretty nice.

I've had kicker l7's with a hifonics hercules pushin em(was hittin in the 150's), but I'm at the point now where I'd just like to have a great SOUNDING setup.

Any feedback on the nakamichi would be appreciated as well, as it's my first time with the brand. I've been impressed with their stuff in the lexus line, so I have high hopes.

anywho,

cheers
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Does this help?

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 05:36 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

ahahahahah that is awesome
Old 04-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

I tried using one of those once...........had nothing but problems with it. It sent ALL the music to the subs, not just the bass like it does with line outs that are built into a head unit. Maybe i hooked it up wrong, but i took it back 15 minutes after i installed it.

You can get a decent pioneer HU at best buy for $99 INSTALLED. That will ahve the line outs built in. I reccomend just getting one of those. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218056226311
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

Never used the line out converter. But it shouldn't matter especially if you're using a mono amp. Personally I'd wait to get an aftermarket head unit myself though.
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

You're going to get better quality from just a cheap aftermarket dash. (You can get them for like 50 bucks.)

When you ground it, you're grounding it to the chasis of the car.

I'd DEFINATELY reccomend going through www.crutchfield.com to put together your system and get good reviews on what you're looking at. BestBuy is not where I would go for this kind of stuff.

Btw, wiring is THE WORST. Especially if you're trying to keep the amp and sub out of the way. Almost may as well wire the whole system for when you upgrade the speakers while you have carpet and seats removed.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Karlos Dansby

Line converters suck. noise, noise, and more noise. Buy a Metra dashkit, a wiring harness, and the best available aftermarket deck with subwoofer controls.

If definitely want to use a converter, buy a monster car audio one, but it'll probably run you 50-60 dollars. Make sure and run your RCAs far, far,away from the amp power wire, or you'll pick up all kinds of noise with a converter. It doesn't matter which speaker you wire it into in the back. The only reason it's recommeded to use back right is because it's the furthest away from the driver.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
Conklin
Outlose, Outcry, Out1st

agrred w/ every1 else, stay away from line out converter, r u sticking w/ stock unit cuz ur keyless entry runs thru it? in my old civic we tapped into the harness goin 2 the stock unit and hooked up a second receiver, mounted the stock unit behind the dash so my keyless still workd.
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

appreciate all of the info thus far...

I was trying to avoid going with a new HU because when i DO buy one, it's going to be a 7 in touch screen....that's why I wanted to wait. money money money

Eventually i'll be running boston componenets throughout, with crossovers, seperate amps, eq, etc etc.

Not worried about wiring at all right now, it's pretty cake in this car. I'm only worried about sound quality. AND my budget

Just wanted the extra bass....but it sounds to me from everyone here that's used them, LOC's lose that quality with the extra noise. There've been pretty mixed reviews online, so this is all definitely helping.

Looks like I'll be sticking with stock for a while

cheers party people