The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Klis: If Jags Dance Broncos pick #8

Klis: If Jaguars dance, Broncos pick No. 8

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/12/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders can lock themselves into secrecy from now until draft day, and it might not matter.

There is a potential trade so logical, it all but leaps off the draft value chart.

Providing the Jacksonville Jaguars are willing partners, the Broncos could easily leap from their No. 12 overall draft pick to No. 8. (Credit the Walter Camp draft-niks for first pointing this out).

The No. 8 spot would be significant to the Broncos if their preference is defensive tackle B.J. Raji, quarterback Mark Sanchez or Texas defensive end/outside linebacker Brian Orakpo.

As it stands now, someone would have to lace Raji's brownies between now and April 25 for the projected 3-4 nose tackle to fall past Green Bay with the No. 9 pick.

The San Francisco 49ers, having failed with Alex Smith as their franchise quarterback, cannot allow Sanchez to drop beyond their No. 10 pick.

And Orakpo, a physical freak who possesses the greatest pass- rushing potential, probably wouldn't get past Jacksonville at No. 8 or Buffalo at No. 11.

According to the last known draft value chart, the No. 8 draft pick is worth 1,400 points while the No. 12 pick is worth 1,200. To those who had a little too much Saturday night fun, that's a difference of 200 points.

That extra third-round pick the Broncos got from the Bears in the Jay Cutler trade? It allows the Broncos to sacrifice their first third- round pick, No. 79 overall. The No. 79 pick is worth 195 points on the draft value chart.

Or close enough.

McDaniels and Xanders would never state their preference with their No. 12 pick. But it's no secret they may have to move up to get him.

Youthful minds.

Forget his lineage to New England and Bill Belichick. By getting superstar-like compensation in return for Cutler (Kyle Orton and two first-round picks, besides the third-rounder), Mc- Daniels could eventually generate comparisons to another Boston sports boss Theo Epstein.

If only McDaniels can break the Elway Curse.

Epstein was 28 when he was daringly hired by Red Sox president Larry Lucchino to become general manager of the storied major- league baseball franchise following the 2002 season. Epstein was 30 when he built a team so strong, it broke the Curse of the Bambino by winning the 2004 World Series.

And as Rockies fans may remember, the Epstein-built Red Sox won another Series in 2007.

The sports nation is becoming increasingly fascinated with the notion that young minds explore beyond conventional wisdom. It may or may not be a coincidence that Joe Ellis, the Broncos' chief operating officer and Pat Bowlen's right-hand man, got his first sports job as a Red Sox vendor.

With the Broncos winning just one playoff game in the 10 years since quarterback John Elway retired, ideas floating outside the normal noggin should at least be worth a try.

No news, good news?

With the NFL draft less than two weeks away, the silence from the NFL office on Brandon Marshall is an encouraging sound to those locked behind closed doors at Dove Valley.

If Marshall were to receive a stiff sentence for violating the league's personal conduct policy, commissioner Roger Goodell, in the name of competitive fairness, likely would have issued his finding before the draft, as he did by levying a three-game suspension on Buffalo running back Marshawn Lynch.

To wit: The commissioner understands that if he was going to suspend Marshall for, say, eight games, the Broncos would have to draft a receiver within the first two rounds.

Marshall, who served a one-game suspension last year, was arrested March 1 in Atlanta following an argument with his fiancee. Charges were dismissed the next morning.

That the charges evaporated almost immediately, coupled with ample evidence that Marshall has genuinely tried to become a better person in the past year (see his volunteer time with at-risk children), may cause Goodell to decide against a harsh ruling that would potentially ruin a promising career.

Marshall can still expect some punishment. But there is reason for the Broncos to hope his suspension will be closer to zero games than eight.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Dear god no. There will be so much talent at 12 and 18 anyway, not to mention tons in the 3rd too!
Doggcow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Wow, an entire article of speculation based entirely on the draft pick value chart.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

This idea really, really scares me. I hope if we do this its because Raji is still there at #8 and thats the guy they've decided they need long term. Still I'd prefer to hangout at 12 and keep the third rounder. So help me God if this is for Sanchez I'm gonna puke.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #5
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

IF Raji is sitting there at 8, it would be well served to trade up and grab him. If we are indeed going to a 3-4, We have to have a big man in the middle.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
IF Raji is sitting there at 8, it would be well served to trade up and grab him. If we are indeed going to a 3-4, We have to have a big man in the middle.
Raji is the only one I'd go that far to get as well, and even still Ron Fields isn't chopped liver if you surround him with a couple decent tackles and OLB/DEs. I like Thomas and Carlton Powell on either side of Fields (Or Ravi), or Jackson sliding inside on passing downs if we grab him ( hopefully at #18)
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I think moving up for the sake of a 3rd round pick would be a smart move. No reason to risk missing the guy you want for a 3rd round pick.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

I wouldn't mind a trade up if it only cost us a 3rd round pick, and it was for Raji. I have my doubts about Orakpo.

What I found out also, that a lot of these prospects slotted to go after pick 10, they aren't exactly guys that intrigue me very much, and its like this draft doesn't seem very front loaded at all, which is disapointing. I mean, Jackson seems like a good pick, but it just seems like to me he is a late 1st/2nd round prospect who is jumped up because of the weak class. Raji is already benefitting as I don't think he's top 10 pick good, but whatever.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

I do wish the front office would get the Marshall thing over with. If you want to punish the player, punish him... but you're punishing the team by not allowing us to know where we stand, at this point.

Get it over with, Goddell. We're a couple weeks from the friggin' thing.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #10
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Even if Marshall got suspended, i dont understand why that would require Denver to draft a receiver in the first 2 rounds. What are the chances that receiver is going to contribute much in those games and, in the grand scheme of things, what does it matter? Last time I checked, you draft for the future...with years in mind. Not a few games.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:05 AM   #11
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I'm ok with this. However, if we trade up (even draft a QB on the first day) I'm killing every kitten I can find until the season starts.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:44 AM   #12
DBBBSBS
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Team Broncos

This guy stole what is discussed on all blogs and bronco fan sites and makes up articles and he writes crap most of the times. time to close this idiot off in a closet as well
DBBBSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:18 AM   #13
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBBBSBS View Post
This guy stole what is discussed on all blogs and bronco fan sites and makes up articles and he writes crap most of the times. time to close this idiot off in a closet as well
i concur.....
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:41 AM   #14
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

why waste another good pick to move up 4 spots, when there is still going to be ample opportunity to get talent at 12 and 18?
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #15
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I do wish the front office would get the Marshall thing over with. If you want to punish the player, punish him... but you're punishing the team by not allowing us to know where we stand, at this point.

Get it over with, Goddell. We're a couple weeks from the friggin' thing.
good point
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:53 AM   #16
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I think moving up for the sake of a 3rd round pick would be a smart move. No reason to risk missing the guy you want for a 3rd round pick.
so you'd trade 2 draft picks for 1 draft pick? i wouldn't.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #17
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
so you'd trade 2 draft picks for 1 draft pick? i wouldn't.
Depends how much you value the player, guy does have nice teets.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #18
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Depends how much you value the player, guy does have nice teets.
this team needs players to compete. i'd take a 1st round defensive pick and a 3rd round defensive pick over a slightly higher 1st round defensive pick. that's 2 quality players in camp vs. one quality player.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #19
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Raji is not a great fit as a traditional nose. If we want to run a straight up 3-4 then Raji isn't the guy. He doesn't dominate at stuffing the run like you'd want from a stereotypical NT and he is too good a pass rusher to not let him attack the QB with some regularity.

If we run the 3-4/4-3 hybrid that I think Nolan wants then Raji would be a great fit, but in a straight 3-4 he's only a marginally better option than Ron Brace and possibly even Dorrell Scott.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
why waste another good pick to move up 4 spots, when there is still going to be ample opportunity to get talent at 12 and 18?
Well, its simple really. You move up to get a specific player that will not be around when you pick at 12 and 18.

If McD thinks Raji or Orakpo are worth moving up 4 spots to get, then I say hell yah!

If they move up for a QB, I'll shoot my TV.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #21
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Raji would not be worth the extra pick. In fact, I am made to think he would not be a good value at 12. There is some question as to whether he is a NT prospect. There are several who can be had in the second and even the third round. Even a good O player would be a better value at 12. There is little to be gained trading up this year, Most of the draftnicks on the Draft Board are saying that.

Klis is nuts, and uncreative to boot......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #22
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I think we are bound and determined to trade up somewhere. Why? I don't think they want to or can afford to sign all these guys.

I don't remembe the article, but McDaniels alluded to having the ability to trade up with so many draft picks. I think they want to...both to get a better player...and also, so they don't have to sign 5 top 85 guys.

My preference would be to stay at 12 and get the BPA that also fits a need....i.e. a front seven guy or I hate to say it...Sanchez if he falls.

Then...do the same thing with your 18...BPA to improve your front seven.

Then with 48...you perhaps throw in a 3rd to move up to the late 1st to grab another key ingrediant to improving our front 7.

12 - Rajii/Tyson Jackson/Sanchez
18 - Cushing/Jerry/Maulaluga
30 - Laurenitus/Hood/Sintim/English

If we get 1 out of each of those tiers...we'll be very, very fortunate! Then we still have the rest of our draft to add depth and gamble a little.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #23
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I wouldn't mind giving up that 3rd to secure Raji. We need that NT. It is the key to the whole defense.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #24
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Wow, an entire article of speculation based entirely on the draft pick value chart.
I guess they felt they had to print SOMETHING

DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #25
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I wouldn't mind giving up that 3rd to secure Raji. We need that NT. It is the key to the whole defense.
Is the marajuana report a concern, SoCal? Or the talk that he isn't a true 3-4 nose?
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote