The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who is your NBA MVP?
Kobe Bryant,G, Lakers 11 19.30%
LeBron James,F, Cavaliers 34 59.65%
Dwyane Wade,G, Heat 7 12.28%
Dwight Howard,C, Magic 2 3.51%
Other(Write-in Vote) 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
FADERPROOF
Twitter: FNRoleModel

Default Whos' your NBA MVP?

Write-in votes must be posted.
FADERPROOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

I think it comes down to Howard vs Lebron. Both teams have been dominate.........I think howard has less around him player wise (especially the bench) than lebron does which makes me lean towards Howard, but on the other hand Lebron is a better all around player (though still way overrated - and i live in Cleveland!)

Dominate centers don't come around often.....where as the dominate guards/small forwards are more abundant so i think i would lean towards howard.
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
bombay
Ring of Famer

I think LeBron will win it with ease this season. Cleveland has had a great season, and many voters see it as 'his time'. That probably shouldn't be a consideration, but it is. Dwight Howard's time is coming. That kid has amazing physical skills to go with intelligence and a willingness to be coached. An awesome combination.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by I bleed orange and blue View Post
I think it comes down to Howard vs Lebron. Both teams have been dominate.........I think howard has less around him player wise (especially the bench) than lebron does which makes me lean towards Howard, but on the other hand Lebron is a better all around player (though still way overrated - and i live in Cleveland!)

Dominate centers don't come around often.....where as the dominate guards/small forwards are more abundant so i think i would lean towards howard.
I agree with this.

I can only name a handful in my lifetime.

Kareem (early lifetime)
Hakeem
Shaq
Yao
Dwight Howard.

Yao might be the only "debatable" one but he is the most complete center of the bunch IMO. He doesnt "jam" it like Shaq or Dwight but is more in the mold of Olajuwon. Great mid range game, great FT shooter, great defensive player. Dwight is more in the mold of Shaq, just kicks everyone's ass. Kareem is kind of a cross from what I remember. I dont think Kareem was as good at the mid range game as Yao our Olajuwan but was more dominant in the paint and was (at least as far as I remember) a good free throw shooter.

Edit: Still, I voted for Lebron. The guy is just unreal despite the opinion of the OP he is NOT overrated. Without him Cleveland is absolute garbage. Without Dwight, Orlando isnt as good but is still a good team.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I agree with this.

Kareem (early lifetime)
Hakeem
Shaq
Yao
Dwight Howard.

Yao might be the only "debatable" one but he is the most complete center of the bunch IMO. He doesnt "jam" it like Shaq or Dwight but is more in the mold of Olajuwon. Great mid range game, great FT shooter, great defensive player. Dwight is more in the mold of Shaq, just kicks everyone's ass. Kareem is kind of a cross from what I remember. I dont think Kareem was as good at the mid range game as Yao our Olajuwan but was more dominant in the paint and was (at least as far as I remember) a good free throw shooter.

Edit: Still, I voted for Lebron. The guy is just unreal despite the opinion of the OP he is NOT overrated. Without him Cleveland is absolute garbage. Without Dwight, Orlando isnt as good but is still a good team.
No Ewing? He's partly responsible for Howard's maturation, after all.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
I agree with this.

Kareem (early lifetime)
Hakeem
Shaq
Yao
Dwight Howard.

Do you not include Patrick Ewing as a dominant big man?
I always liked The Dream though, he had an amazing overall game.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Would anyone consider Tim Duncan a dominant big man? David Robinson?

I really don't know what to classify those two.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Would anyone consider Tim Duncan a dominant big man? David Robinson?

I really don't know what to classify those two.

The Spurs have insisted forever that Duncan's a power forward, when he is in fact a center. Whether he's dominant or not depends on how you define it, I suppose. He's not going to physically dominate and push you around like Shaq, but he'll kill you with solid fundamentals, excellent scoring and rebounding skills and the ability to improve the play of the guys around him. He's dominant in that respect.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

LeBron gets my vote this year.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
No Ewing? He's partly responsible for Howard's maturation, after all.
Eh, I forgot about Ewing. You are right though, he was pretty damn dominant.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
The Spurs have insisted forever that Duncan's a power forward, when he is in fact a center. Whether he's dominant or not depends on how you define it, I suppose. He's not going to physically dominate and push you around like Shaq, but he'll kill you with solid fundamentals, excellent scoring and rebounding skills and the ability to improve the play of the guys around him. He's dominant in that respect.
Tim Duncan is more of a tweener. Same with Robinson. I wouldnt say either of them dominante the paint but both of them were just freakin studs. Duncan doesnt really intimidate like a Shaq or (my previously forgotten Ewing) or Kareem or Howard or even Yao, but you cant stop him either.

Robinson was very similar in that regard. Hybrid PF's/Cs I would say but not really true Centers.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Lebron is MVP and he'll win it handily...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #13
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Tim Duncan is more of a tweener. Same with Robinson. I wouldnt say either of them dominante the paint but both of them were just freakin studs. Duncan doesnt really intimidate like a Shaq or (my previously forgotten Ewing) or Kareem or Howard or even Yao, but you cant stop him either.

Robinson was very similar in that regard. Hybrid PF's/Cs I would say but not really true Centers.
there was nothing hybrid about the Admiral...

he was a center and a very dominant one...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #14
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Where the hell are the Faker fans to vote for the rapist? (not that I believe he is really a rapist but he plays for LA so I hate him and will use whatever smack I wish).
Old 04-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #15
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
there was nothing hybrid about the Admiral...

he was a center and a very dominant one...
I guess.

I mean, when I look at Robinson I remember a freaking stud but maybe its because the early part of his career he was overshadowed by Hakeem and the later part Shaq.

I dont remember him being a center. I loved the Admiral too. I mean, there was a guy you could tell your kids was a great individual (as far as I know). Finished his career, went to the Navy as per his requirement and then played basketball.

If you say he was a center, I believe you. I just dont remember him being so. And if so, Id have to put him on my top 10 of who I saw in my life time. But he wasnt ever, IMO, the best center in the league in his tenure. No shame on that as the two that overshadowed him might be among the greatest to play the position.

edit:
Even still, with my two glaring omissions of dominant centers in my lifetime that only gi9ves you what, 7, 8?

How many dominant guards have there been? You need more than 2 hands to count the ones in the last 20 or so years.

Last edited by Rock Chalk; 04-10-2009 at 09:56 PM..
Old 04-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #16
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I can see calling Duncan a 'tweener' maybe, because for his first, what, 5-7 years? he played next to Robinson who was a true center. But yeah, both of them were studs. They were what everyone thought Sampson and Olajuwon were going to be before Sampson didn't hold up his end of the deal.

Great combo up front.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #17
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
I guess.

I mean, when I look at Robinson I remember a freaking stud but maybe its because the early part of his career he was overshadowed by Hakeem and the later part Shaq.

I dont remember him being a center. I loved the Admiral too. I mean, there was a guy you could tell your kids was a great individual (as far as I know). Finished his career, went to the Navy as per his requirement and then played basketball.

If you say he was a center, I believe you. I just dont remember him being so. And if so, Id have to put him on my top 10 of who I saw in my life time. But he wasnt ever, IMO, the best center in the league in his tenure. No shame on that as the two that overshadowed him might be among the greatest to play the position.
Shaq and David Robinson had quite the quasi-rivalry back in the 90s. I can remember when The Admiral went off for 71 and Shaq whined about him "stealing" the scoring title from him. David Robinson was just as dominant as any of those guys mentioned above.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
I can see calling Duncan a 'tweener' maybe, because for his first, what, 5-7 years? he played next to Robinson who was a true center. But yeah, both of them were studs. They were what everyone thought Sampson and Olajuwon were going to be before Sampson didn't hold up his end of the deal.

Great combo up front.
I remember with SA won the lottery that year and they got Duncan and I said to myself right then "Holy ****, this might be the best front court in the history of basketball".

It took a bit, but man that was one unstoppable combo togther. Too bad they didnt get to both play with each other in most of their primes. Can you imagine Robinson only maybe a year or two removed from college (sans the Navy) and then having Duncan? ****, multiple championships.

This from a Houston fan who hates the Spurs and the Mavs.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #19
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Shaq and David Robinson had quite the quasi-rivalry back in the 90s. I can remember when The Admiral went off for 71 and Shaq whined about him "stealing" the scoring title from him. David Robinson was just as dominant as any of those guys mentioned above.
Damn.

Robinson went off and scored 71? Has any center not named Wilt ever done that before?

Man I dont remember that. God, I shouldnt have smoked so much weed in the 90s. you'd think, being a sports fan, Id remember that.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #20
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Damn.

Robinson went off and scored 71? Has any center not named Wilt ever done that before?

Man I dont remember that. God, I shouldnt have smoked so much weed in the 90s. you'd think, being a sports fan, Id remember that.
Yessir, it was on the last day of the Regular Season in 1994.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #21
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Where the hell are the Faker fans to vote for the rapist? (not that I believe he is really a rapist but he plays for LA so I hate him and will use whatever smack I wish).
As a Laker fan...I still think Lebron should win it this year. Although Kobe deserves to at least be in the conversation. He has had a great year.

Now two years ago when it was given to Nash.....that pissed me off.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #22
Malcontent
Life....on tap.

Got Mustard?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chad Mustard

Kobe--hands down.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #23
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

based on player alone it is between Lebron and Wade in my opinion. both all year have kicked ass in all phases of the game, but due to the Heat not being very good as a team, Wade loses consideration and it is Lebron as league MVP.

all year he has dominated every phase of the game and made his team better there is no question who the best player this year was.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #24
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

I think that Dwayne Wade is the best NBA player. He has very little talent around him and still willed the Heat to have a winning record.

However, I think Lebron will win it.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #25
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

Lebron and I don't even think it will be close.
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote