The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default The Front 5 D-Line Shuffle game

OK, as I kept looking at Mock drafts, I was trying to justify why we would want to spend a #12 pick on Tyson Jackson. At the end of the season, he was questionable for the first round, and now people are saying we would be lucky to land him at 12. It just doesn't feel right. So, I looked at the roster and noticed we have about six guys on the roster that already have his measurables, and have NFL experience. So, here's my game.

Give it your best shot at who could be a potential starter on the D-line given the roster. It might help your thoughts on how highly we value some draft picks. If you need some help, reference this excellent post by Montrose on how Nolan usually builds his 3-4, then make your picks.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...&highlight=3-4

We have two NT's on the roster:
Ron Fields - 6'2" 315
J'Vonne Parker - 6'4" 325

We have several guys that could possibly play 3-4 DE, and rotate inside for a "hybrid" 4-3. But, try to place them based on the 3-4 DE/NT placement. Just reply to this post, and bold your choice of DE, NT, or add something else.

In alphabetical order:
Matthias Askew - 6"5" 302 DE or NT
Nic Clemons - 6'6" 300 DE or NT
Ryan McBean - 6'5" 290 DE or NT
Kenny Peterson - 6'3" 300 DE or NT
Carlton Powell - 6'3" 300 DE or NT
Marcus Thomas - 6'3" 305 DE or NT

Also, you can consider the LB spots. Based on Montrose's post, we would be looking at the following for those spots:

WOLB: Dumervil, Moss, Woodyard
WILB: DJ, Woodyard, Louis Green
SILB: Andra Davis, Spencer Larsen, Mario Haggan
SOLB: Darrel Reid, Boss Bailey (snicker) and potentially Moss, Crowder

I think we get to the point where we say there is a lot of competition at 3-4 DE. We need help at NT, and SOLB badly. "Great" WOLB's are worth their weight in gold if they get 12-15 sacks, so that is always a position of value in any draft. We could also use a thumper (SILB) in the middle since Andra Davis is relatively old.

Your thoughts?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
OK, as I kept looking at Mock drafts, I was trying to justify why we would want to spend a #12 pick on Tyson Jackson. At the end of the season, he was questionable for the first round, and now people are saying we would be lucky to land him at 12. It just doesn't feel right. So, I looked at the roster and noticed we have about six guys on the roster that already have his measurables, and have NFL experience. So, here's my game.

Give it your best shot at who could be a potential starter on the D-line given the roster. It might help your thoughts on how highly we value some draft picks. If you need some help, reference this excellent post by Montrose on how Nolan usually builds his 3-4, then make your picks.

Ron Fields - 6'2" 315

We have several guys that could possibly play 3-4 DE, and rotate inside for a "hybrid" 4-3. But, try to place them based on the 3-4 DE/NT placement. Just reply to this post, and bold your choice of DE, NT, or add something else.

In alphabetical order:

Also, you can consider the LB spots. Based on Montrose's post, we would be looking at the following for those spots:

I think we get to the point where we say there is a lot of competition at 3-4 DE. We need help at NT, and SOLB badly. "Great" WOLB's are worth their weight in gold if they get 12-15 sacks, so that is always a position of value in any draft. We could also use a thumper (SILB) in the middle since Andra Davis is relatively old.

Your thoughts?
I forgot to play my own game, here are my choices. I can't justify Tyson Jackson at all. I'd rather take a player that could vastly improve our position, even on offense (Maclin and Moreno come to mind here).
Old 04-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
socalorado
Ring of Famer

DE MARCUS THOMAS, ALEX MAGEE (3RD ROUND)
NT RON FIELDS, RON BRACE (2ND ROUND)
DE CARLTON POWELL, MITCH KING (4TH ROUND)
JACK ELVIS DUMERVILL, C.MATTHEWS (1ST ROUND)
MIKE ANDRA DAVIS, SPENCER LARSEN
WILL DJ WILLIAMS, WESLEY WOODYARD
SAM BOSS BAILEY, B.CUSHING (1ST ROUND)

THERE. Every f-n spot on the front line has been addressed.
If theres problems or a need for another key role player, get him next year, but now the Nolan defense is set, and only small tweaks are needed, instead of massive, constant overhauling.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I agree generally speaking with you cmh. I certainly don't see the need for drafting a DE past the first round. The question is whether McD/Nolan think that Jackson is a premier 3-4 end. If so he's an upgrade. I wouldn't think we'd find anything in this draft past Jackson that would be an upgrade on the guys we have on the roster.

I guess the same goes for NT.

I think if Raji isn't there at #12, we have to trade back. If we can't, we'd probably go OLB, CB or offense.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
TheDave
Sauced...

IMO Jackson would be an upgrade over every one of those players listed... Then again maybe the coaching staff thinks otherwise.

The biggest problem for me is that we have no idea what the coaches think of our current talent. Right now, nothing would surprise me on draft day.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
The biggest problem for me is that we have no idea what the coaches think of our current talent.
The fact that they immediately outright cut or didn't re-sign 7 guys who started on defense last year leads me to believe the coaches have at least a little bit of confidence in the ones remaining.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
CHANGSTER
You are a pizza burn...

on the roof of the world's mouth

I actually feel better about DE than any other spot in the front 7. I think Peterson could be effective at the position. He seems like the best fit on the roster in terms of playing style. He's always been sort of a tweener. Powell and Thomas have a chance to be successful there too.

At ILB theirs a few players on the roster that could fit. I think DJ is in there by default. The other spot could be occupied by Larsen or Davis.

NT and OLB are the real worry spots. As of right now we may not have a single person that can play those spots with any level of effectiveness. Be great if they could get an OLB and NT in the first. Though unless Raji slides, thats not gonna happen.
CHANGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Crowder?
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Those of you that are familiar with the Miami Dolphins will see Reid as our Roth. Roth was a average Defensive Lineman, but when lined up as a OLB has was a tough SOB. I watched their games and I was amazed the way they used him. He brutalized TE's, RB's and got to the QB on Blitzes. I think that McD saw this and will copy it. We are going to be tougher on Defense next year, a little better, but a lot tougher. We have guys that will be situational guys/ mismatch guys. We have guys that have experience to teach the young guys. We need to draft 3 starters on day one. We do that we will be much more competitive than many of you think.

Matt Roth | #98 | DE

Miami Dolphins | Official Team Site

Height: 6-4 Weight: 275 Age: 26

Born: 10/14/1982 Villa Park , IL

College: Iowa

Experience: 5th season

High School: Willowbrook HS [Villa Park, IL]
team rosters quick stats (2008)
TCKL

SCK

FF
INT
--

Last edited by no-pseudo-fan; 04-10-2009 at 10:03 AM..
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
Those of you that are familiar with the Miami Dolphins will see Reid as our Roth. Roth was a average Defensive Lineman, but when lined up as a OLB has was a tough SOB. I watched their games and I was amazed the way they used him. He brutalized TE's, RB's and got to the QB on Blitzes. I think that McD saw this and will copy it. We are going to be tougher on Defense next year, a little better, but a lot tougher. We have guys that will be situational guys/ mismatch guys. We have guys that have experience to teach the young guys. We need to draft 3 starters on day one. We do that we will be much more competitive than many of you think.

Matt Roth | #98 | DE

Miami Dolphins | Official Team Site

Height: 6-4 Weight: 275 Age: 26

Born: 10/14/1982 Villa Park , IL

College: Iowa

Experience: 5th season

High School: Willowbrook HS [Villa Park, IL]
team rosters quick stats (2008)
TCKL

SCK

FF
INT
--
Another player I watched a little in this SOLB spot is Calvin Pace for the Jets. He's a big d-end sized ass kicker also. I would rather see a big fighter that occasionally gets burned dropping back into coverage, than a "linebacker" sized player that gets his butt shoved all over the field.

Maybe Darrel Reid is that type of guy? I wouldn't mind throwing in a guy like Larry English as well. He has the same attributes and is a real fighter. Stout at the LOS, and can pass rush.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post

Ron Fields - 6'2" 315

In alphabetical order:

Your thoughts?

12 Knowshon Moreno
18 Peria Jerry
48 Larry English
79 Victor Harris
84 Jasper Brinkley
RD4 Terrance Taylor

LDE Thomas/Powell
NT Fields/Taylor
RDE Peterson/Jerry
SOLB English/Reid/Crowder
SILB Larsen/Brinkley
WILB Williams/Davis
WOLB Dumervil/Moss
CB Goodman/MF
CB Bailey/Harris
SS Dawkins/Barrett
FS Hill/?

There like it or love it, you got it.

1 Terrance Cody if he falls turds his senior year Mccoy from Oklahoma
1b Taylor Mays

LDE Thomas/Powell
NT Cody/Fields/Taylor
RDE Peterson/Jerry
SOLB English/Reid/Crowder
SILB Larsen/Brinkley
WILB Williams/Davis
WOLB Dumervil/Moss
CB Goodman/MF
CB Bailey/Harris
SS Dawkins/Barrett
FS Mays/Hill

Last edited by Broncos_OTM; 04-10-2009 at 05:08 PM..
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Here's mine:

DE MARCUS THOMAS, TYSON JACKSON, D. REID
NT RON FIELDS, PARKER, M. MCCHESNEY, DORRELL SCOTT, KHALIF MITCHELL
DE CARLTON POWELL, K. PETERSON, T. CROWDER
JACK ELVIS DUMERVILL, WESLEY WOODYARD