The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
TheDave
Sauced...

Default Five most risky picks...

WR Percy Harvin, Florida (Jr.)
The first player mentioned by all five executives, Harvin is the clear-cut favorite in this year’s draft class to find trouble after receiving a giant payday. He was very competitive at Florida, even battling through a broken bone in his foot that was publicly referred to as a sprained ankle, helping the Gators win two national championships the past three years. The mention of character concerns about Harvin drew outrage from ardent supporters of Gator Nation after PFW’s 2009 Draft Guide was released. Nonetheless, one executive said Harvin would have to slip to the fourth round for him to consider rolling the dice on Harvin's character. Two others said they would not entertain the idea of drafting him at any price. Coachability, a posse of hangers-on, his lack of respect for authority and drug usage made Harvin a unanimous selection to become a repeated problem in the pros.

WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech (Soph.-3)
Crabtree may not have a laundry list of arrests, but his ego is abnormally large to the point where he repeatedly demeaned training staff, his work ethic has been described as “marginal at best,” and his intelligence and ability to handle success remain major question marks. One thorough evaluator compared Crabtree’s mental makeup to that of former LSU and Buccaneers 2004 15th overall pick Michael Clayton, who made a big splash in the NFL as a rookie before going on to average 31 catches, 378 yards and a half-TD catch each of the past four years as he lost focus, bought into the hype and stopped working at his craft the way young receivers must do to be great. Crabtree's competitiveness noticeably stands out on tape, and he did play through injury last season. However, when the Red Raiders were getting whipped by better competition (Oklahoma and Mississippi) during the final two games of the season, Crabtree did not finish either game. After he gets a taste of success in the pros, evaluators are not confident he will be able to handle the trappings of the pro game.

ILB Rey Maualuga, USC
Football is clearly very important to him, and he has endearingly been described as a “war daddy” by evaluators, but questions remain about his maturity, accountability, trustworthiness, intelligence and ability to responsibly handle alcohol. His coaches publicly have contended that he has matured greatly, but some of his actions have continued to suggest otherwise. One executive said he had positioned Maualuga just far enough down in the first round so that he would not be considered with the team’s first pick, hoping he would be gone by the time the second pick came around. Another evaluator said he did not envision Maualuga’s position on his team’s draft board being altered based on his character but, when pressed as to whether he would draft Maualuga in the top 10, said the pick would be “too scary.”

CB Vontae Davis, Illinois (Jr.)
Outside of being demoted several times throughout his career, in the spring and in the fall, Davis may not seem like he has a lot of issues on the surface — with no noted arrests or incidents that scream “problem.” However, his team interviews have been received very poorly, questioning his mental instability, lack of maturity and intelligence issues that clearly show up on tape consistently. He was regularly in the coaches’ doghouse, is very difficult to manage, does not respond well to coaching and may never easily blend into a locker room, as he beats to his own drum.

DT B.J. Raji, Boston College
Defensive tackles may need to be held to a different standard, with the modern-day widebody not needed to play as many snaps in the pros as most are asked to play in college, where fewer schools rotate their defensive linemen the way NFL teams tend to do. In a league where extra mass is rewarded and girth is a big plus defending the run, not all teams even penalize their linemen for not being able to control their weight. However, Raji’s work habits, intelligence and overall maturity, including at least one verified failed drug test, were distractions in college, especially early on, and several executives said they would not be willing to invest a first-round pick in a player with so many questions. Among the aforementioned five players with concerns, however, Raji drew the least criticism because of the improved maturity he showed as a senior after a clerical error cost him his junior season.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...wwhi040909.htm
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Percy Harvin sounds like a real piece of work.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Very interesting, Dave.

Taco brought up an interesting theory that this draft may just not be all that deep, and a bit of a tease, overall. I think that's an interesting concept. Rohirrim countered that you just take "football guys," in a draft like this, which I also like.

I'm starting to lean towards one of USC's "other" LBs as a good option, personally. I also love what I see of the kid from Florida St. if he slips to 12 for us.

I think down at 20, we're going to just be able to take the best athlete available, hopefully on defense and hopefully not a CB.

I think you play it safe in this draft. Take a guy you are sure is a B player as opposed to taking huge risk to knock it out of the park with an A-level guy.

Devil's advocate, though... if Maulaluga slides down to #20, I will admit that it'll be tempting to root for us to pick him. He's absolutely explosive out there.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Very interesting, Dave.

Taco brought up an interesting theory that this draft may just not be all that deep, and a bit of a tease, overall. I think that's an interesting concept. Rohirrim countered that you just take "football guys," in a draft like this, which I also like.

I'm starting to lean towards one of USC's "other" LBs as a good option, personally. I also love what I see of the kid from Florida St. if he slips to 12 for us.

I think down at 20, we're going to just be able to take the best athlete available, hopefully on defense and hopefully not a CB.

I think you play it safe in this draft. Take a guy you are sure is a B player as opposed to taking huge risk to knock it out of the park with an A-level guy.

Devil's advocate, though... if Maulaluga slides down to #20, I will admit that it'll be tempting to root for us to pick him. He's absolutely explosive out there.
As for #12 you take tyson Jackson and be thankful that he was there... Fits a need and seems to be the type of tough/big/strong football player that McKidd has spoken about. After that it's BPA all the way to the end.

As far as the draft is concerned... I disagree about the talent available. This draft simply doesn't have the blue chip top 5-10 that we usually see. On the other hand I think the talent is fairly consistent through the first 2 - 3 rounds.

We should have no problem finding players that will help improve our team.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Very interesting, Dave.

I'd take Maualuga at 18 in a heartbeat...I'm torn whether we take him at 12 actually. I really want Jackson and Maualuga. I miss having the leader with a two ton heart in the middle ever since Big Al left.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
I'd take Maualuga at 18 in a heartbeat...I'm torn whether we take him at 12 actually. I really want Jackson and Maualuga. I miss having the leader with a two ton heart in the middle ever since Big Al left.
The only thing I have against Maualuga is that Jasper Brinkley seems to be a VERY similiar player that will be available in round 3.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

I only hope enough team GMs take to heart this subjective and somewhat arbitrary evaluation so that Raji can fall to #12.

He's worth the gamble, and at a position Denver desperately needs.
OrangeRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Sorry... 18, I meant.

I hate to take ANY major risks, at this point, especially because I think the real bargains will be in the late 1st round. But, he's got rare ability. You just have to wonder with a new coach, one big controversy and one with Marshall outstanding, if he wants to take on any character risks at this point.

I admit, it's tempting. But, I highly doubt it happens.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

No Stafford or Sanchez? Poor article IMO, they are far from bustproof.
Doggcow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:49 PM   #10
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
The only thing I have against Maualuga is that Jasper Brinkley seems to be a VERY similiar player that will be available in round 3.
Let's just get them both!
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #11
DBBBSBS
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Team Broncos

I want them to give up 12 to philly, nyg, bal or tenn and move back and collect a second rounder as well. I am sure atleast 3 of those teams need WR's/OL and will come up. I would be happy with us taking tyson jackson or brain cushing at 18, ron brace, Laurinites, Ayers and ... with the picks we trade back. we will have more bodies and even if we hit on 2 or 3 , this draft will be successful. I meant 2 or 3 in the first few rounds. And few others who can play for a few years as starters/depth. If overall we come out with 4 or 5 impact players.. it is a great draft for this new staff
DBBBSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:52 PM   #12
DBBBSBS
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Team Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
it is not about boom or bust. it is about character and 's related to that.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:06 AM   #13
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Id like to take a chance on Raji at 12 and Maualuga at 18.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #14
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

I bet we don't take Raji even if he falls to 12.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:21 AM   #15
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Sanchez has bust written all over him.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:23 AM   #16
DBBBSBS
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Team Broncos

All of a sudden with all these rumors brace in round - 2 sounds like a better option than raji. Though the playing level wont be the same.. atleast we need not keep checking who is in roger's office time and again.

Rey.. i dont care. I would rather have cushing than ray with all this character issues. but my guess is cushing will be taken at 15 by houston
Old 04-10-2009, 03:33 AM   #17
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Percy Harvin sounds like a real piece of work.
Harvin is from my area in Virginia. Here is part of his high school history:

However, he decided to leave his basketball team when his coach informed him that he could not be protected from opponents. Apparently, players on other teams were set out to hurt Percy during a game.

Harvin was suspended for one football game for unsportsmanlike conduct during his junior year, and then was suspended for the final two games of his senior year for making contact with a referee and for inappropriate language. Harvin was later barred by the Virginia High School League from participating in any high school sporting events.

PUNK!
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:46 AM   #18
dreasher54
getting good

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darcel McBath

Quote:
I was a little to young when Al left. Why did we let him or did he retire
dreasher54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #19
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreasher54 View Post
I was a little to young when Al left. Why did we let him or did he retire
How young are you Al last played on 06.

POSTED: 09/11/2008 12:30:00 AM MDT

Former middle linebacker Al Wilson officially retired from the NFL on Wednesday, more than 18 months after he played his last down for the Broncos.

Wilson, the Broncos' first-round draft pick out of Tennessee in 1999, spent his entire eight-year NFL career in Denver, becoming a five-time Pro Bowler and a favorite among fans and teammates.

"A lot of guys have a hard time leading, but it was just natural for him from the first day he came," coach Mike Shanahan said. "People would gravitate to him."

Wilson suffered a neck injury on Dec. 3, 2006, and had to be carted off the field on a stretcher. He returned to play the rest of the season but has not played since. Wilson announced his retirement on the website jocklife.com.

"He was a great player and a great friend," linebacker D.J. Williams said. "It's his decision, and if he feels like it is time to walk away from the game, that's what he should do."

Wilson was a defensive captain for the Broncos and finished his career with 712 tackles, 21 1/2 sacks and five interceptions.

Williams, who lined up beside Wilson for three years, is now one of the team's defensive captains, and it was Wilson who taught him to be a leader.

"Al loved the game. Not only that, he loved his teammates. Sometimes that's bigger than the game, just the camaraderie, just being around the fellas in the locker room," Williams said. "For me, coming in as a rookie and you don't know what it's about being in the NFL, being a professional, I just kind of followed him around and listened to things he said."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_10431874?source=rss

Last edited by baja; 04-10-2009 at 07:26 AM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.L.F. View Post
Sanchez has bust written all over him.
You need to watch film of Sanchez, in that case. I wouldn't mind him here, but I don't think this is the year for the Broncos to go shopping for any more QBs. Sanchez is totally committed to the game. He's a film room addict and has gotten better every year of the four years he played at SC. He'll be good somewhere.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #21
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
You need to watch film of Sanchez, in that case. I wouldn't mind him here, but I don't think this is the year for the Broncos to go shopping for any more QBs. Sanchez is totally committed to the game. He's a film room addict and has gotten better every year of the four years he played at SC. He'll be good somewhere.
I wouldn't touch an underclassmen QB with a ten foot pole. In the last 15 drafts, 11 of them have gone in the 1st round. Of that group, only Roethlisberger and maybe Aaron Rodgers (nice season last year but jury still out) could be considered successes.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #22
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

my top 5 riskiest picks

1. Matthew Stafford
2. Conner Barwin (if taken in the 1st round)
3. Daruis Heyward Bay
4. Percy Harvin
5. Aaron Maybin

some honorable mentions are Sanchez, Cushing & Matthews, Freeman, & Crabtree...

i think all of the 1st round grade WRs & QBs are risky this year...

i'm also leary of the USC LBs...they may be overhyped....Rey is a good one to me because you know what you get...a big hitting run stopper...but Cushing/Matthews are being tabbed as these "do everything LBs" and i don't buy it....i also wouldn't be surprised if they are on steroids...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #23
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
my first thought exactly.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #24
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
yea i agree...

the article seems to only address character issues...

they should have looked at all aspects, not just character...

i mean, Rey Maluaga is a risk because he can't hold his liquor?...

c'mon....
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #25
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I wouldn't touch an underclassmen QB with a ten foot pole. In the last 15 drafts, 11 of them have gone in the 1st round. Of that group, only Roethlisberger and maybe Aaron Rodgers (nice season last year but jury still out) could be considered successes.
I wouldn't draft by generalities. Sanchez is much more ready for the NFL then Stafford in my opinion.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote