The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
DrFate
Lord of Order

Default Sanchez rumors?

Cutler is gone. Hoodie Jr. is calling the shots.

Here is my question for the team. A number of outlets are speculating that the Broncos want Sanchez.

This doesn't make sense to me from a couple of perspectives. First, the Patriots way is to trade down, not up. Second, if the outcome of this entire fiasco is to turn Cutler into a rookie QB - that seems like a bad idea for the continued employment of said Hoodie Jr.

Finally, the defense remains the prime problem here.

So - does anyone really think Sanchez is an option? If so, how does that make sense?
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

I say you go with the guy you traded Cutler away for, and we see how he does if he wins the job in the first place. If he isn't the reincarnation of Drew Brees, you go quarterback next year, where the class is suppose to be better.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post

Here is my question for the team. A number of outlets are speculating that the Broncos want Sanchez.

This doesn't make sense to me from a couple of perspectives. First, the Patriots way is to trade down, not up. Second, if the outcome of this entire fiasco is to turn Cutler into a rookie QB - that seems like a bad idea for the continued employment of said Hoodie Jr.

So - does anyone really think Sanchez is an option? If so, how does that make sense?
Pats can trade down and still find players. Can we? Nobody knows.

Sanchez does nothing for me.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

I just don't see it. Maybe if Sanchez is hanging around at 9 they make a slight move, but even then. Why not just see how this year plays out with Orton/Simms? Worst case Denver gets a top 8 pick next year if the team sucks, and best case they get a top 10 for the Bears pick if Chicago implodes (although that seems pretty unlikely). Either way, chances are good that with multiple 1st rounders 2010, there will be a better QB prospect they could get.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I say you go with the guy you traded Cutler away for, and we see how he does if he wins the job in the first place. If he isn't the reincarnation of Drew Brees, you go quarterback next year, where the class is suppose to be better.
this
It makes no sense to spend a high pick on a qb, especially when this year's crop is garbage
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

actually, the pats dont necessarily trade down, they pick a guy they want and who can fit there system and dont care if they reach to take him. like meyo. picked him like 10 overall when he wasnt projected to go til late 1st.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I think you draft him and let him sit and learn for a year.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

We gave up a trade with Washington which was their pick #13 a 2nd rd and a 3rd rd this year and their 1st in 2010 (Likely higher than Bears) to get Orton so no qb this year most likely. I hope!
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Pats can trade down and still find players. Can we? Nobody knows.

Sanchez does nothing for me.
Can they really? This is a serious question. These are the players that I can think of, drafted after the 2nd round since 2003, that have made any difference at all for the Pats. An average of less than one decent/good player per year.

Steven Gostkowski
Ellis Hobbes
Matt Cassel
Asante Samuel

P.S. I do NOT want the Broncos to draft Sanchez or any other early-round QB this year.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
I just don't see it. Maybe if Sanchez is hanging around at 9 they make a slight move, but even then. Why not just see how this year plays out with Orton/Simms? Worst case Denver gets a top 8 pick next year if the team sucks, and best case they get a top 10 for the Bears pick if Chicago implodes (although that seems pretty unlikely). Either way, chances are good that with multiple 1st rounders 2010, there will be a better QB prospect they could get.
I wouldn't take him at 12.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #11
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
actually, the pats dont necessarily trade down, they pick a guy they want and who can fit there system and dont care if they reach to take him. like meyo. picked him like 10 overall when he wasnt projected to go til late 1st.
They traded down from 7 to 10 to pick Mayo... just saying.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
TheDave
Sauced...

If you take a QB in the first round then you've basically traded Cutler for 2 1st rounders...

IMO that make a crappy trade just that much worse.

According to most people this kid is a QB guru who can make talentless hacks like Cassel into studs... Let see what he can do with Orton/Simms before we grab another QB.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Great, Now that Cutler is gone, We are going to have daily Sanchez threads.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Like every year I hope we get a team panicked to have our 12 spot a lower 1 and a second.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Like every year I hope we get a team panicked to have our 12 spot a lower 1 and a second.
The thing is that we don't need a stockpile of picks, if anything we have too many as is. The team is young, they just need talent as some positions.
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
This is the most logical choice. I still haven't read any remotely logical reason for why we'd be interested in Sanchez. We didn't attend the USC pro-day at all (which I love because of how many busts they have), McDaniels took a lower draft pick because he liked Orton more than the other offers and there is no history whereby you can assume we would take Sanchez. The closest thing I've read is on a mock draft blog there was a comment that "McDaniels likes USC quarterbacks," presumably because he worked with Cassel. Fallacious.

The one thing I do know is that we've worked out a number of quarterbacks this year and none of them were named Sanchez or Stafford. I think next year will be a much better draft for quarterbacks and probably be better overall in a lot of other areas.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #17
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborquez147 View Post
The thing is that we don't need a stockpile of picks, if anything we have too many as is. The team is young, they just need talent as some positions.
The old saying goes you can never have too many picks. But you would prefer to have picks spread over a few years, just like the Broncos did. If we say traded #12 and moved down to #16 then I would expect the Broncos would take a 2nd rounder for that in 2009 or they could get a 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder in 2010. To me, that's more logical. Yes, we are piling up the picks but it's never a bad thing to start acquiring more picks for the following year.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #18
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Mark Sanchez in the first round would be the heighth of irresponsibility for the stewards of this roster. Our defense reeks to the stars above, and we're still missing important pieces of the 3-4 depth chart puzzle.

I can't believe we're even discussing such a silly thing.

I've been sitting on this for 10 days, so if TJ doesn't turn
on avatars pretty soon, I'm just gonna keep posting this
in threads! It's just too classic ... and I'm dropping all the
Jay-Josh stuff by draft week, in 9 days.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #19
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

If Sanchez is there at 12 you take him.

What you don't do...is trade the 12 & 18 to go get him.

You could trade a 3rd to go up and get him...but not #18...at least in that scenario you would get Sanchez, Orton, and a 1 in 2010 for cutler and a 5th. You could easily negate the 5th for Orton and then it would be Sanchez and a #1 in 2010 for Cutler. At least that sounds somewhat sensible.

I really think they need to get either get Rajii or Jackson with #12 and Cushing/malaluga with 18 for this to be a success for our Broncos. Take the guys who are sure bets on Defense and you might just make this work out. Take any reaches and you are done...as in crispy critter!

Last edited by Hamrob; 04-09-2009 at 08:40 PM..
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #20
DBBBSBS
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Team Broncos

Quote:
We gave up a trade with Washington which was their pick #13 a 2nd rd and a 3rd rd this year and their 1st in 2010 (Likely higher than Bears) to get Orton so no qb this year most likely. I hope!
where was the link for such a proposal ? can you send me the link. And washington did not have a 2nd and there was no team lined up for campbell.. so can you shed light on your statement
DBBBSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #21
DBBBSBS
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Team Broncos

Quote:
Haven't the broncos been that team that panicked and moved up in the last 3-4 yrs. For Cutler we did and so did we for Moss. One was a boom and other one was a bust. So you say as though some other team does it.. when it is we who were one of the team who did that stupidity.
DBBBSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #22
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

Just say NO to first round offensive players! Defense all the way!
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #23
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

Hamrob - "If Sanchez is there at 12 you take him."

Agree.

If both Raji and Sanchez were still on the boards at 12, I'd take Raji and thank the draft gods he slipped that far, but if Raji is gone, which is far more likely, Sanchez is an honest option. He's going to need a lot of seasoning anyway, so the depth chart will remain with Orton and Simms at 1-2.
OrangeRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post

if he falls to 12 i could see McDaniels pulling the trigger on him, but i seriously doubt we would move up to get him. although this entire offseason has been crazy so who knows?
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #25
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
If Sanchez is there at 12 you take him.

What you don't do...is trade the 12 & 18 to go get him.

You could trade a 3rd to go up and get him...but not #18...at least in that scenario you would get Sanchez, Orton, and a 1 in 2010 for cutler and a 5th. You could easily negate the 5th for Orton and then it would be Sanchez and a #1 in 2010 for Cutler. At least that sounds somewhat sensible.

I really think they need to get either get Rajii or Jackson with #12 and Cushing/malaluga with 18 for this to be a success for our Broncos. Take the guys who are sure bets on Defense and you might just make this work out. Take any reaches and you are done...as in crispy critter!
Why do you take him? Is he suddenly some cant miss prospect? If we have a QB we like, explain to me why you even think about taking him or TRADING UP to take him.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote