The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default KOA 850 Interview with Logan and McD - The full story from McDaniels side.

(Here you go LostKnight, BroncoBuff and all the other Jay apologists here is McD spelling it out as clear as day once again on the record, while all you guys have is innuendo and your own hurt feelings as hunches to stand on. Time to pack it in and get back on the Bus. We're moving on)

Thoughts From The Coach - Part 1
April 6th, 2009 - 10:01am by mike_rice

The Broncos and quarterback Jay Cutler could never get on the same page. Now, after the blockbuster trade that occurred on Friday, April 3, Cutler is in Chicago and the Broncos are moving on with quarterback Kyle Orton, an extra first-round and third-round draft pick this year and another first-rounder in 2010.

There has been much speculation about who said what to whom and when. Broncos Head Coach Josh McDaniels spoke with Dave Logan and Lois Melkonian on 850 KOA’s “The Ride Home” on the day the Broncos made the trade. I wanted to share some of the questions and responses because they hit on many of the key issues in this whole saga. Part one of that interview follows.

850 KOA attempted to speak with Jay Cutler, but text messages went without response on two occasions, once before the trade and once immediately after the deal.

KOA: After you took the job, when the initial trade possibility was discussed with whomever, with Jay Cutler as a possibility, did you and the Broncos initiate that trade conversation or did other teams?

JM: We never initiated any conversations. We were busy preparing for free agency. That was where our focus was. We never had any desire and we had no plan to do anything like that (trading Cutler). The day or two before free agency opened, people started to call and initiate some conversation about entertaining a possibility of a three-way trade. We had conversations. Some were very short and there were a couple of other conversations that we actually took part in. That’s what happened. Things started happening faster on the other end (but) nothing ever came to the point where we were considering an opportunity or anything. Then the deal was done on the other side (Cassell traded to the Chiefs). We called Jay and (his agent) Bus (Cook) and let them know what happened. The communication from that point forward started to go the other way.

( So this is when Bus Cook and Jay sprang into action and decided to ride this rail out of town or at least squeeze a long term new deal from Denver)

KOA: Would it be curious that other NFL teams would call the Broncos and ask, “We’re thinking about the possibility of maybe trying to put a package together for a guy like Jay Cutler?” With some of the other teams that have a top quarterback, do conversations like that take place a lot?

JM: I’m not sure. I would say this was a little bit of a different situation based on my history and where I’d come from. I think the entire line of speaking between some other team and our organization was based on the fact that they knew Matt Cassell had played for me in New England. I think that was the only reason that conversations took place and I think that was the only reason they felt like they might have a chance to broker some kind of a deal. But again, nothing ever got even close (to getting done) but they wanted to call and I think that’s exactly why.

KOA: At any point during this standoff, did you think about forcing the issue and making him (Cutler) sit down and talk with you?

JM: We had a conversation on the phone and he (Cutler) wouldn’t do anything without Bus Cook. We requested numerous times to have an opportunity to sit down and speak to Jay and discuss everything, whatever he wanted to talk about and some of the things we wanted to talk about. It never got to the point where they would allow the communication to go any further. It broke down to the point where (in) the last weeks he just refused to respond to anything, including (Broncos’ owner) Pat Bowlen. When you go to that length to show your displeasure, I think you’re really sending a clear message to the organization that you don’t want to play there any more.

KOA: (In) your last conversation with Jay Cutler, Bus Cook was there and (so was) Brian Xanders of the Broncos, in the sit down meeting. Did the Matt Cassell situation come up in that conversation in that room and is there a possibility Jay Cutler left that meeting (believing) that you, if given an opportunity, might still consummate a trade for Matt Cassell?

JM: There’s no way he could have left the room thinking that. We discussed what had happened. We discussed how to go forward from there. He understood exactly what had happened that couple days. He agreed and understood why there may have been some kind of connection with some other team trying to broker a three-way trade. He understood that completely. Then the meeting ended. The tone of the conversation while we were in the meeting was totally different that what it was represented afterwards.

(More Bus and Jay shenanigans after the face to face meeting to maintain their hard line)

KOA: So you left the meeting thinking this is going to work and this is going to be my quarterback?

JM: I was waiting for a phone call later that afternoon and that was clearly stated and communicated and obviously not executed.

KOA: When you took the Broncos job, when you sat down and talked with Pat Bowlen, did Pat ask you your opinion on what you thought of Jay Cutler and what direction you were going in with respect to the offense?

JM: A lot of things came up when we had discussions before I was hired and Jay was part of those discussions. But Jay Cutler was a big reason why this position was very attractive to me. As a person who has worked on the offensive side of the ball the last five years, coming to a place with a quarterback like Jay Cutler was exciting. That’s why I go back to the fact that we never initiated or we would never have any reason to initiate it (the original trade talks) because we felt comfortable with that. Pat knew what direction we were going to go. We were going to bring our system here and implement it. We have players here that can fit in comparably to the players that I’ve worked with in the past and I’m excited to work with that entire group. The conversations were all positive about that stuff and we were looking forward to doing that.

Later this week, we’ll share more from Coach McDaniels’ interview with 850
KOA.

Thanks for reading,
Mike

Last edited by Hulamau; 04-06-2009 at 02:43 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
(Here you go LostKnight, BroncoBuff and all the other Jay apologists here is McD spelling it out as clear as dayonce again on the record, while all you guys have is innuendo and your own hurt feelings as hunches to stand on. Time to pack it in and get back on the Bus. We're moving on)

Thoughts From The Coach - Part 1
April 6th, 2009 - 10:01am by mike_rice

The Broncos and quarterback Jay Cutler could never get on the same page. Now, after the blockbuster trade that occurred on Friday, April 3, Cutler is in Chicago and the Broncos are moving on with quarterback Kyle Orton, an extra first-round and third-round draft pick this year and another first-rounder in 2010.

There has been much speculation about who said what to whom and when. Broncos Head Coach Josh McDaniels spoke with Dave Logan and Lois Melkonian on 850 KOA’s “The Ride Home” on the day the Broncos made the trade. I wanted to share some of the questions and responses because they hit on many of the key issues in this whole saga. Part one of that interview follows.

850 KOA attempted to speak with Jay Cutler, but text messages went without response on two occasions, once before the trade and once immediately after the deal.

KOA: After you took the job, when the initial trade possibility was discussed with whomever, with Jay Cutler as a possibility, did you and the Broncos initiate that trade conversation or did other teams?

JM: We never initiated any conversations. We were busy preparing for free agency. That was where our focus was. We never had any desire and we had no plan to do anything like that (trading Cutler). The day or two before free agency opened, people started to call and initiate some conversation about entertaining a possibility of a three-way trade. We had conversations. Some were very short and there were a couple of other conversations that we actually took part in. That’s what happened. Things started happening faster on the other end (but) nothing ever came to the point where we were considering an opportunity or anything. Then the deal was done on the other side (Cassell traded to the Chiefs). We called Jay and (his agent) Bus (Cook) and let them know what happened. The communication from that point forward started to go the other way.

( So this is when Bus Cook and Jay sprang into action and decided to ride this rail out of town or at least squeeze a long term new deal from Denver)

KOA: Would it be curious that other NFL teams would call the Broncos and ask, “We’re thinking about the possibility of maybe trying to put a package together for a guy like Jay Cutler?” With some of the other teams that have a top quarterback, do conversations like that take place a lot?

JM: I’m not sure. I would say this was a little bit of a different situation based on my history and where I’d come from. I think the entire line of speaking between some other team and our organization was based on the fact that they knew Matt Cassell had played for me in New England. I think that was the only reason that conversations took place and I think that was the only reason they felt like they might have a chance to broker some kind of a deal. But again, nothing ever got even close (to getting done) but they wanted to call and I think that’s exactly why.

KOA: At any point during this standoff, did you think about forcing the issue and making him (Cutler) sit down and talk with you?

JM: We had a conversation on the phone and he (Cutler) wouldn’t do anything without Bus Cook. We requested numerous times to have an opportunity to sit down and speak to Jay and discuss everything, whatever he wanted to talk about and some of the things we wanted to talk about. It never got to the point where they would allow the communication to go any further. It broke down to the point where (in) the last weeks he just refused to respond to anything, including (Broncos’ owner) Pat Bowlen. When you go to that length to show your displeasure, I think you’re really sending a clear message to the organization that you don’t want to play there any more.

KOA: (In) your last conversation with Jay Cutler, Bus Cook was there and (so was) Brian Xanders of the Broncos, in the sit down meeting. Did the Matt Cassell situation come up in that conversation in that room and is there a possibility Jay Cutler left that meeting (believing) that you, if given an opportunity, might still consummate a trade for Matt Cassell?

JM: There’s no way he could have left the room thinking that. We discussed what had happened. We discussed how to go forward from there. He understood exactly what had happened that couple days. He agreed and understood why there may have been some kind of connection with some other team trying to broker a three-way trade. He understood that completely. Then the meeting ended. The tone of the conversation while we were in the meeting was totally different that what it was represented afterwards.

(More Bus and Jay shenanigans after the face to face meeting to maintain their hard line)

KOA: So you left the meeting thinking this is going to work and this is going to be my quarterback?

JM: I was waiting for a phone call later that afternoon and that was clearly stated and communicated and obviously not executed.

KOA: When you took the Broncos job, when you sat down and talked with Pat Bowlen, did Pat ask you your opinion on what you thought of Jay Cutler and what direction you were going in with respect to the offense?

JM: A lot of things came up when we had discussions before I was hired and Jay was part of those discussions. But Jay Cutler was a big reason why this position was very attractive to me. As a person who has worked on the offensive side of the ball the last five years, coming to a place with a quarterback like Jay Cutler was exciting. That’s why I go back to the fact that we never initiated or we would never have any reason to initiate it (the original trade talks) because we felt comfortable with that. Pat knew what direction we were going to go. We were going to bring our system here and implement it. We have players here that can fit in comparably to the players that I’ve worked with in the past and I’m excited to work with that entire group. The conversations were all positive about that stuff and we were looking forward to doing that.

Later this week, we’ll share more from Coach McDaniels’ interview with 850
KOA.

Thanks for reading,
Mike
The fact that it still hasnt occurred to you that McDaniels might be saying what benefits him more is amazing.

Also, the fact that the trade starts started a day or two before FA doesnt look good for McDaniels. If he was really as disinterested as he's letting on, how was this whole process spread out over 3 days? This is the first Ive heard that the trade talks started before FA started. I had only heard that it happened with in a day of Cassel getting traded to KC. This is actually kind of damning for McDaniels.

Last edited by lex; 04-06-2009 at 02:56 PM..
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
jhat01
Ring of Famer

Knuckle Dragging Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam

but but but...McD lied! It's become pretty much crystal clear what went down. Cutler got his panties in a wad after his boys were shown the door...saw an opportunity and milked it. Good luck!
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Yeah, this has been the position from the front office all along, and it frankly makes more sense than Cutler's version. OK, Cutler's position on the face-to-face meeting is that it was expressed that McDaniels preferred to have his guy and might still trade Cutler. Seriously, folks, does anybody actually believe that McDaniels said anything of the kind? Even if you believe he went after Cassel, at that point the scenario was dead, and there was not another attractive QB option available. Given that, I don't buy for one second that McDaniels said anything of the kind and don't understand how anyone else could buy it either.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
The fact that it still hasnt occurred to you that McDaniels might be saying what benefits him more is amazing.
Has it not occurred to you that Cutler might be doing the same?
Old 04-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

This doesn't surprise me...the way Jay just completely gaffed off Bowlen and then the way he denied wanting to be traded pretty much led me to believe that Cutler was manipulating the situation.

The trade scenario itself didn't lend credence to the idea that McDaniels had a stiffy for Cassel, because if he did, he could have and would have been able to get a package together that would have given NE more than #34, and that didn't happen.

I'm bummed that Jay turned out the way he did, cause he's a rare talent at QB. Hopefully the Broncos can parlay those picks into something substantial.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

the more and more I think about it, the more it makes sense that Belichick initially approached the Broncos and then Pioli leaked it, thereby weakening a franchise on the edge of becoming the best offense in the AFC and taking attention away from FA and the draft...

Those of you who think this is a conspiracy theory too far need to consider what Belichick has been willing to do in the past (illegal videotaping and alleged radio monitoring), and how far he goes in slighting people (Mangini)
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

I'm only reading this, but I suspect some jaw flinching, mixed with a slight leftward head-lean, coupled by a repetitive counter-blinking pattern.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Wow, what a shocking turn of events.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
the more and more I think about it, the more it makes sense that Belichick initially approached the Broncos and then Pioli leaked it, thereby weakening a franchise on the edge of becoming the best offense in the AFC and taking attention away from FA and the draft...

Those of you who think this is a conspiracy theory too far need to consider what Belichick has been willing to do in the past (illegal videotaping and alleged radio monitoring), and how far he goes in slighting people (Mangini)
If this scenario were true, then why would Belichek come out and essentially confirm McDaniels version of the events? If he had some evil grand scheme to tear down the Broncos, it seems more likely that he would have just kept his mouth shut.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

Also, the fact that the trade starts started a day or two before FA doesnt look good for McDaniels. If he was really as disinterested as he's letting on, how was this whole process spread out over 3 days? This is the first Ive heard that the trade talks started before FA started. I had only heard that it happened with in a day of Cassel getting traded to KC. This is actually kind of damning for McDaniels.
Just curious. I still haven't had anyone give me a reasonable guess as to what McDaniels/Bowlen's motivation would be for lying about Jay not returning their calls.

Maybe they lied about the initial trade talks. Maybe they didn't. But from there, why would they ever say they were trying to reach out to him when they actually weren't? Pat Bowlen has a lot more to lose than gain by losing Jay Cutler. Why would he lie about the situation?
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
No kidding ... that didn't occur to him? Hula, you think this is "proof" of something? Cutler is gone ... anybody in their right mind is going to put themselves in the best light possible.

Plus, that account has a screwy timeline. He says the team called Jay and Bus first .... that the TEAM informed THEM. But I thought Jay found out about it elsewhere - remember Jay said "numerous sources" told him? - and that was the basis of this entire problem. That Josh did not communicate with Jay / admit to Jay that trade discussions happened.

Plus now those new and deeply detailed Vikings stories added to all this seem to bolster the idea there was a lot more here than just smoke. For me, I believe Josh actively tried to trade Jay, and then - because Josh had never traded anybody or dealt with agents before - thought he could get away with lying and/or misleading Jay about what happened. That to me is the likeliest scenario based on everything we know.

But it's over now, none of this matters any more.
BroncoBuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

The funny thing is that the anti-Cutler crowd is having just as much trouble letting this go as the pro-Cutler crowd is....maybe more.

I have moved on.

I wanted to keep Cutler, but it was not meant to be.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:

the way McDaniels lays out the timing is extremely questionable at best, and of course he is going to say what makes him look better.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #15
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

I bet they didn't really call. I bet they're just saying they called, but they are really lying about it.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
No kidding ... that didn't occur to him? Hula, you think this is "proof" of something? Cutler is gone ... anybody in their right mind is going to put themselves in the best light possible.

Plus, that account has a screwy timeline. He says the team called Jay and Bus first .... that the TEAM informed THEM. But I thought Jay found out about it elsewhere, and that was the basis of this entire problem - that Josh did not communicate with Jay / admit to Jay that trade discussions happened. Plus those new and deeply detailed Vikings stories seem to indicate there was a lot more here than just smoke. I will never believe anything other than that Josh actively tried to trade Jay, and then - because Josh had never traded anybody or dealt with agents befiore - thought he could lie/mislead Jay about what happened. That to me is the lieliest scenario based on everything we know.

But it's over now, none of this matters any more.
Actually, the front office scenario sounds like the most plausible to me. It sounds pretty far-fetched that McDaniels would go into a face-to-face meeting with Cutler, a meeting designed to mend fences, and tell Cutler that he would prefer to have his own guy as Jay claims. That doesn't pass the sniff test.

Plus, it does not seem to have occurred to lex (or you) that Jay may be covering his butt as well.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #17
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

I think he's just got a bad service plan. Tatum Bell probably hooked him up with it. Tater fumbles again!
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #18
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:

That's outside-the-box, creative thinking. I'm not sure how much I agree with that, but Belichick has zero credibility in my book. Maybe the best coach ever, but definitely not a truth-teller.

beef, that's good, incisive, original thought. Never take what they feed you, think for yourself.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #19
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

To me, taking everything out of the drama, there's one thing that says it all to me, and that's Cutler telling Jay Glazer that he was surprised they were trading him - that he never really wanted this.

Taking everything else out of the equation, that's just bizarre behavior. How do you demand a trade, then say that you never wanted it to get to this? It makes me doubt his credibility with everything else he's been saying.

It says either A) he's crazy and/or really immature, and he didn't expect them to call him on his tantrum; or B) the purpose all along was indeed to force the Broncos into giving him a new deal.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #20
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I think he's just got a bad service plan. Tatum Bell probably hooked him up with it. Tater fumbles again!
You know, that's a pretty good point. I wonder if Tatum had anything to do with getting Jay his cell phone. This whole deal could seriously just be Tatum's extravagant way of getting back at the organization over trading him to Detroit.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #21
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
The trade scenario itself didn't lend credence to the idea that McDaniels had a stiffy for Cassel, because if he did, he could have and would have been able to get a package together that would have given NE more than #34, and that didn't happen.
This is the thing that the Cutler apologists need to explain. If McD really wanted Cassel why didn't he get him? He couldn't come up with something better than KC did? Really? You're going with that as your rationale?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #22
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:

I saw some mysterious black helicopters hovering over my house yesterday. Creepy.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #23
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Actually, the front office scenario sounds like the most plausible to me. It sounds pretty far-fetched that McDaniels would go into a face-to-face meeting with Cutler, a meeting designed to mend fences, and tell Cutler that he would prefer to have his own guy as Jay claims. That doesn't pass the sniff test.
Yeah, I never bought that ... I remember thinking Jay must've heard Josh telling him some reasons why he MIGHT have wanted Cassel, and he expanded that further. Jay is a real child, a real baby. I just wish Josh would've cleaned it up right away.

Quote:
Plus, it does not seem to have occurred to lex (or you) that Jay may be covering his butt as well.
Maybe he has, but unlike this self-serving Josh interview, Jay hasn't been re-hashing. He made those very strange statements that he was "surprised," and that the trade was "not his doing" (which was pure bullcrap of course, he freaking asked for the trade), but other than that, Jay hasn't done this kind of after-the-fact CYA stuff. He doesn't have to of course - he's in Chicago now. But Josh is still here, still picking up the pieces, so this CYA statement is understandable.

OH BY THE WAY: All you Josh-apologists who loudly proclaimed the reason for this entire thing was Jay and Bus wanted a new contract? Deangelo and Bus said they won't talk until after this season is over. So, wipe that egg-foo-yung off yer face, and pop some crow in the micrwave oven .... yummy.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #24
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
This is the thing that the Cutler apologists need to explain. If McD really wanted Cassel why didn't he get him? He couldn't come up with something better than KC did? Really? You're going with that as your rationale?
I think he wanted him, but Belichick never had any intention of giving Cassel to him, and Bowlen would never have signed off on the added money when Jay was already cheaper, more proven, homegrown, and in place.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #25
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Deangelo and Bus...
Deangelo?