The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default BPC - Broncos Mock

Great mock, fills the needs, stocks the defense:

1a. Tyson Jackson - DL - LSU -

Photobucket

Why do I like Jackson? He is a perfect fit for the 3-4. He's a strongside end in a 4-3 or 3-4 who can anchor against the run, hold the LOS, keep blockers off the LB's, shed and pursue. He is more than adequate at rushing the passer. His body type reminds me a lot of Reggie White (thick in the lower half, high cut but still large upper frame) and while his weight room strength isn't very impressive, he has been more than able to protect himself on the field. Blessed with long arms and a good motor, he keeps coming at blockers over and over while also keeping them out of his body. The knock on him is that he isn't a great sack artist but the thing I think you have to look at which doesn't get recorded accurately is QB pressures... this guy has a ton of them. He always finds a way to get in the QB's face. His burst off the line is average but in a 3-4, this is not mandatory like it would be if you were running a 4-3 and he was playing over the LT. I think he does have good closing speed. He seems to get faster as the play gets going. Also, look at the number of of batted balls he has. I think moving forward there should be a stat for impact plays made by defensive linemen. These could include, tackles, TFL's, batted balls, pressures and sacks. If you look at the overall package, Jackson is going to be a very good/great pro. Expectations should be tempered playing in a 3-4 with sack totals as I think he'll top out at 7-10 at most each year however I think he could walk in and start on day 1 over anybody we have here outside of maybe Peterson who seems like a natural fit at DE in the 3-4.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profil...ckson?id=71341

1b. Michael Johnson - SAM/DE - GTech -

Photobucket

Some people hate this selection. They say he's all potential, no substance. I'm just not buying that. I've watched him enough to know and see that this kid has a really high ceiling as well as floor. Blessed with great size, 6'7", 260 and one of the most natural guys moving around the football field that I've seen, he projects well IMO, in a 3-4 defense rushing off the edge but also as a guy that can fall back in zone coverage and protect a lot of ground. I think he fits perfectly as a hybrid SAM/DE. He has flashed the speed, quickness to affect the game rushing the passer or dropping into coverage. Check the UVA/Gtech game and Johnson owned Eugene Monroe who is regarded by Mike Mayock as the best pass blocking OT in the draft. Does he need some work? Most definitely. He needs some good coaching to refine all of his technique. He doesn't look like he got a lot of that in college. Still, you can't deny what he brings to the table and if gets it, he's going to be a difference maker at the next level. At worst I see the guy taking over Boss Bailey's spot and becoming a starter. The upside is much higher.

2. Strong Safety - I'll take any one of these three, William Moore, Louis Delmas, Eugene Chung and be happy.

I think talent wise, they are ranked correctly in the order listed. I think Moore has the best size, speed and hands while I think Delmas and Chung play with a tiny bit more passion than Moore does. Those two are probably the safer bets to go with. William Moore has battled injuries throughout his career and seems to get nicked up pretty easily. Little injuries tend to knock him off his game in a major way. That's a bad sign. HOWEVER, if ends up being healthy, he's a legit 4.4 guy with great hands for a in the box safety that can cover a lot of ground and lay the wood. Plus the guy weights 220. It's hard to find guys who can run like that. Louis Delmas is a heat seaking missile. I love watching that guy play. I think he'll be lost in coverage at the next level and his head rocking shots could lead to a bunch of penalties ala Kenoy Kennedy. Gotta watch out for those guys now even though they are fun to have on defense... they set the tempo. Patrick Chung is a mixture of both of those guys. He has a hitters mentality despite being a little bit smaller and is more of a cagey vet who uses his instincts to make play for him. He's probably not as natural as the previously mentioned too along with following them in athletic ability but he's a solid guy that will contribue in the secondary and will become a solid defensive starter in the league. Do you take potential or instincts? Bottom line, I want Taylor Mays next year playing Free Safety for us. Our record will probably allow us to make that move as we're going to be sub-.500 IMO. My goal for Denver would be strengthen up the middle of the defense by putting a rookie behind Brian Dawkins to learn. We signed Dawkins to a 3-year deal but he's a stop gap solution for us. We should take advantage of his skills and leadership by bringing in another player to learn behind him. I think any of these guys can do that and personally, I wouldn't be unhappy with any of them.

William Moore -

Photobucket

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f88173

Louis Delmas -

Photobucket

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f87d4f

Patrick Chung -

Photobucket

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f87f63

3a. Victor Harris - CB - Va. Tech -

Photobucket

I just really respect the V.Tech program. They annually put out SMART, TOUGH, AGGRESSIVE football players and Harris is no difference. He won't run the fastest straight line speed of the CB's and he's probably a 4.5 on the field but he is very quick with natural hands and good instincts for making plays. Like all Va. Tech defenders, he doesn't just fit into one role as a CB... he plays the run equally well coming up and filling lanes. Another aspect I love about his game is he is a pure man to man defender. Va. Tech gets after the QB and they expect their CB's to be able to hold up their end of the bargain by themselves. Harris has not disappointed in that aspect. His speed makes him slide a little bit but he is a quality defender.

3b. Andre Brown - HB NCState

Photobucket

I won't get into too much detail but I think he is perfect for the McDaniels style offense. He can run between the tackles, he can catch the pass out of the backfield on the wheel routes, screens and he's big enough to hold up in blocking. He has long ball speed even though it doesn't really show on the field. He's been a little injury prone but I think his best game is ahead of him and fits the offense very well. He's a 80/50 guy in Denver. 80 yds rushing per game, 50 yds receiving.

4. Austin Collie - WR BYU Collie is a sleeper pick from BYU. Won't run a blazing 40 but is supremely quick and has great hands. Understands route running. Settles into breaks nicely and is smooth in and out of cuts. Understands coverage and how to slide into the holes in zones. He's a couple years older than most WR's coming out after serving his mormon mission. Great red-zone target despite smaller size. Has scored over 30 TD's in his career.

5. Franz Joseph - ILB - FAU -

Photobucket

One of my favorite sleeper prospects in the draft. He also happens to be at one of the most shallow positions in the draft. He's racked up over 100 tackles the last two years. Instinctive player who loves to deliver a blow and looks for contact. Could be perfect at the Jack or some people call in the buck. Blow up the hole and take out everybody with it. He's got a little Mike Singletary in him. He won't win any straight line sprints but his position is about 5 yards forward and backwards, 10 yards sideline to sideline. He can cover that.

6. Terrence Taylor - NT Michigan -

Photobucket

Vastly underated after coming back for senior year and getting Rodriquezed in the 3-3-5. I think the buy is a beast. I watched him two years ago in the Gator Bowl again Florida and he was destroying UF's offensive line. I think he has very good potential still and I think he would fit the bill as a line player at NT for us. Great balance, strong hands and stout. Conditioning has been knocked but I like his head. Came back for his senior year when he probably could have been a 2nd round pick last year. Education/team matters to him and he stayed. Unfortunately his stock fell. He'll be back up.

7a.Chase Patton - QB - Mizzou (Backed up the other Chase, better pro potential)

7b.Will Davis - OLB - Illinois

Photobucket

(I love this guys burst.)

Last edited by bpc; 04-06-2009 at 08:06 PM..
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I like your mock a lot. I don't know much about Collie or Davis and where they're projected, but Collie's vid is pretty sweet...although you can tell he's against pretty sh*tty competition about 50% of the time.

I like the Michael Johnson pick quite a bit, but I think you and I are in the minority with him. At 18, I would be happy with any of the good LB candidates...M. Johnson, C. Matthews, B. Cushing...hell maybe even C. Barwin?

I think that Andre Brown is going to be one of the best RBs out of this class in the long term, but we'll see. He put on a good show at the Senior Bowl.

Last edited by s0phr0syne; 04-07-2009 at 07:46 PM..
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Awesome draft, wish you were pulling the trigger for us here in a few weeks.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Nice job overall I do have questions.

Michael Johnson like him alot but, at 18 seems like a reach here NO?

William Moore heard he hasn't be impressive at all. I think 48 is too high.

Nice job though otherwise
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
Nice job overall I do have questions.

Michael Johnson like him alot but, at 18 seems like a reach here NO?

William Moore heard he hasn't be impressive at all. I think 48 is too high.

Nice job though otherwise
William Moore's pro-day report:

One player who performed really well was S William Moore. He looked good in his positional drills and was impressive overall. He measured in at 6-foot and a 1/2-inch, 221 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.51 and 4.49 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.94 seconds. He also posted a 10-foot, 6-inch broad jump.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

considering safety seems like a weak spot this year, taking any of those guys there wont be a bad idea at all.

i like the draft, but i think some of those sleeper picks will go higher than you have them pegged. they seem to be getting talked up a bunch lately.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
anton
Solid Starter

DraftParty's videos rule!!

EDIT: I think the Broncos should take Rey at 12 instead of Tyson Jackson because they can get a good 34 de in the 2nd like Jarron Gilbert, Ziggy Hood, or Fili Moala. I would then target an OLB or CB at 18 (someone like English, Maybin, V Davis, D Butler...)

12. Rey Maualuga
18. Darius Butler
48. Fili Moala
would be a good first day imo... (everything changes if Raji is still available)

Last edited by anton; 04-07-2009 at 10:50 PM..
anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #8
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
DraftParty's videos rule!!

EDIT: I think the Broncos should take Rey at 12 instead of Tyson Jackson because they can get a good 34 de in the 2nd like Jarron Gilbert, Ziggy Hood, or Fili Moala. I would then target an OLB or CB at 18 (someone like English, Maybin, V Davis, D Butler...)

12. Rey Maualuga
18. Darius Butler
48. Fili Moala
would be a good first day imo... (everything changes if Raji is still available)
I hate two of those picks and I am on record with it. Rey is explosive but does not have great or even good instincts. The discipline from play to play is not there either. Consistency wise, he's all over the field. He's a late 1st rounder, early 2nd rounder in my eyes.

Butler is good but too short. Won't fit an aggressive man to man, bump and run scheme that Nolan will want to run.

I thought Moala could be a good fit as a 3-4 DE and then I watched game footage of him and his technique... he pops up EVERY play and is easily blocked. He's a 4th round pick in my eyes at best.

Last edited by bpc; 04-08-2009 at 12:15 AM..
Old 04-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Very solid draft....Austin Collie might be a great fit for our new offense.

Franz Joseph has been on my radar since his bowl game this year, where he kicked ass....I think it was the Motor City Bowl.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

don't like michael johnson at all but the rest of the mock is beyond solid. good stuff.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
William Moore's pro-day report:

One player who performed really well was S William Moore. He looked good in his positional drills and was impressive overall. He measured in at 6-foot and a 1/2-inch, 221 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.51 and 4.49 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.94 seconds. He also posted a 10-foot, 6-inch broad jump.
Thanks I saw report on path to the draft about Moore.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
anton
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I hate two of those picks and am on record with it. Rey is explosive but has not instincts and is not discipline. He's a late 1st rounder, early 2nd rounder in my eyes.

Butler is good but too short. Won't fit an aggressive man to man, bump and run scheme that Nolan will want to run.

I thought Moala could be a good fit as a 3-4 DE and then I watched game footage of him and his technique... he pops up EVERY play and is easily blocked. He's a 4th round pick in my eyes at best.

I'll give you Moala (I am also iffy on him), but I disagree about Butler. Hes got the best hips in the draft and is best as a man to man guy.

Rey is really interesting, a lot of people either love him or hate him. I guess I am in the love him category. What do you think about Jarron Gilbert as a 34 de?
anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #13
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yeah, that PTD on the safeties (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80fa8e4d) was a good piece.

I think we really should focus on getting one of the top tier safeties in the 2nd round if at all possible...I think that was one of the best things I liked about BPC's mock. Delmas would be great. If we could turn Sean Smith into a headhunter, it'd be nice. But Nolan didn't really have any luck developing DBs back in SF.

If Moore is still there in the 3rd, we've got to pounce on him, IMO. I think he's unduly gotten a bad rap this offseason, when if you go back and look at his numbers, they're all above average for the safety position.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #14
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
I'll give you Moala (I am also iffy on him), but I disagree about Butler. Hes got the best hips in the draft and is best as a man to man guy.

Rey is really interesting, a lot of people either love him or hate him. I guess I am in the love him category. What do you think about Jarron Gilbert as a 34 de?
I think he has a great body for the position and good athleticism however he had good value when he was projected as a 3rd-5th rounder. Now he's being thrown into the late 1st, 2nd round area and I just think that's too high for him considering the body of work and level of competition.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:30 AM   #15
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

There is talk that the Patriots really like Butler for their first round pick... which makes me nervous b/c McD might try and "jump" Bilichick by drafting him at 18.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:11 AM   #16
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I like this mock, but I have a hard time believing Taylor will be around in the 6th.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #17
meangene
Ring of Famer

I like Brown and Taylor as good value picks. Brown would be rated much higher but for all the time missed with injuries. Taylor could be the best natural nose tackle in this draft. Not real excited about either of the first round guys. Jackson, to me, is not a guy who does anything that a number of later round guys can do - hold the point. Johnson is a boom or bust guy who didn't have great college production - not worth a first round pick IMO.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #18
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Great work, man! I like the first round picks as well as the CB out of VA Tech and the ILB from FAU.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #19
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I might throw in Connor Barwin in place of Michael Johnson. Both are projects, but Barwin has an intensity and desire to compete anywhere he is placed. His measurables are just as good as Johnson's and he seems like he would be a great locker room guy.

If I pick instinctive, hard working players, I would say Barwin has the edge over Johnson. Although Johnson is an intriguing athlete and could be a Jason Taylor type in the NFL.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #20
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesBronco View Post
I like this mock, but I have a hard time believing Taylor will be around in the 6th.
I agree he might be worth overvaluing a little and securing him with our pick in the late third. There are several teams converting to 3-4 this year and NT is a high demand position. Taylor might very well turn out to be a better NT in this system than Raji. For a third rounder, that's a deal.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #21
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesBronco View Post
I think if teams look at Taylor like they are trying to with William Moore, by going back and looking at junior film, he's a late 3rd/early 4th round guy.

If they go by his senior numbers and by what Rich Rodriquez probably says about him, he'll be a late 5th/6th rounder.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #22
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

BPC, I love this mock. Great work bro!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #23
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I like this draft except that I think it still leaves us weak at NT. I still believe we've got to make NT a priority in this draft.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #24
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I like this draft except that I think it still leaves us weak at NT. I still believe we've got to make NT a priority in this draft.
AMEN BROTHA
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #25
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I think that Taylor is going to be a much better NT vs. Brace in the pro's. Just my opinion. The class is weak but I think Taylor is underated.

I also think that Denver is setting the table to make a run at Woolfork in 2010 with the obvious New England connection OR by going after Mt. Cody from Bama in the draft with our 2nd 1st round pick. Just my opinion though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: