The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default The inside scoop on the trade from Peter King

Apologies for the long multi-part post but there is a lot of good stuff here. its worth it.

Monday April 6, 2009 3:43AM
Peter King
MONDAY MORNING QB
How Cutler-Orton trade went down

At about 2:30 p.m. Denver time Thursday, the Broncos gave the Chicago Bears the final terms of what they'd accept in trade for disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler: first- and second-round picks this year, a first-round pick in 2010 and quarterback Kyle Orton.

Whoa! Too steep, thought Chicago GM Jerry Angelo, and he asked for a little time to mull it over and talk about it with his people. The Broncos told Angelo: "You've got a half-hour.''

A few things went though Angelo's mind, including the last time he was part of a staff that traded two No. 1s for a player. "We did Keyshawn Johnson for two ones in Tampa Bay, and we really got burned by it,'' he told me Friday night. "But this is a quarterback. Maybe a really good quarterback.''

We really want this guy, Angelo told those on his staff, but the compensation is too much. So he called the Broncos back and offered two ones, Orton and this year's fourth-round pick. Denver GM Brian Xanders and coach Josh McDaniels mulled it over and came back with this compromise: two first-round picks, Orton, and this year's third-round pick for Cutler and Denver's fifth-round pick this year.

Done, Angelo said. Fair deal.

"It was high-stakes poker,'' Angelo said when it was over. "And I couldn't see anyone else's hand.''

In the end, Angelo rebuilt his battered, way-too-conservative GM image and Chicago got a potentially great long-term quarterback. (No other 4,000-yard passer has ever been traded at 25, or even the season after accumulating such a lofty number.) Denver got a better deal than the Broncos had a right to expect after their dissed owner ordered Cutler dealt, losing whatever leverage the team might have had. And Cutler proved he should write the foreword to Drew Rosenhaus' next book -- the one about how a superstar can shoot himself out of town. Cutler got exactly what he wanted, though talking oneself off the best young offense in football is not my idea of a good career decision by a franchise quarterback.

Aside from the late haggling between the Bears and Broncos over the price, I do know some facts that haven't been out there -- I don't think -- yet. The five things I know for sure, from talking to those in the middle of the Cutler trade discussions in the three days since the deal went down:

1. The key to the trade was Kyle Orton. Laugh if you want, but it's the absolute truth. McDaniels looked hard at tape of the available quarterbacks from teams that made serious offers, players like Orton, Washington's Jason Campbell and Tampa Bay's Luke McCown. Every one of those teams was in the ballpark with an offer of at least two first-round draft picks and a quarterback.

But as the deal went down, McDaniels, who watched every offensive snap of more than 10 Bears games with Orton playing, got more and more impressed with Orton's arm, his decision-making and his ability to extend plays when the pocket broke down. You can think and I can think it's crazy he didn't like Campbell -- who got Washington off to a 6-2 start last year -- more than he liked Orton, but it's the unvarnished truth. McDaniels thinks he can win with Orton.

2. The Bears were sure the deal was collapsing Thursday afternoon, because the Broncos weren't answering phone calls, e-mails or texts. GM Jerry Angelo thought he'd gotten the rug pulled out from underneath him. Angelo hadn't heard from the Broncos for about three hours, and got so nervous by mid-afternoon Chicago time that he sent McDaniels a text message that said, in effect, "We gotta get this done. What's it gonna take for the Bears to win this?''

But the Broncos weren't ignoring Angelo, and they weren't working another team for a better deal. McDaniels told Xanders and the rest of the football people in the building that they weren't stopping business following owner Pat Bowlen's declaration that there was an open market for Cutler. Workouts would continue with McDaniels around; coaches meetings would go on as normal. ( Good move McD!)

And the Broncos had eight players in the building between Tuesday and Friday -- including first-round prospects Brian Orakpo (defensive end, Texas), Knowshon Moreno (running back, Georgia) and Tyson Jackson (defensive end, LSU). McDaniels met with two of the prospects during the middle of the talks for Cutler Thursday, and he ignored the bleating on his cell phone while those meetings were going on.

Now Angelo can know for sure -- the Broncos were going to make the deal with him unless his final offer was a fraction of those from Washington and Tampa Bay. ( Nice poker by the rookie coach!)

3. The Jets were never in it seriously -- true story. New York is either convinced that Brett Ratliff or Kellen Clemens is its guy, or the Jets think the New York spotlight would have been too white-hot for a rabbit-ears guy like Cutler to handle , or they didn't want to pay two first-round picks for Cutler after giving a third for one season of Brett Favre. I just know that the Jets never made a remotely serious offer for Cutler, much to my surprise.

4. All you Redskins fans who are so sure you were thisclose to getting Cutler? Total BS. Yes, Washington was competitive, and the 'Skins would have done whatever it took to get Cutler. But once McDaniels decided Orton was his man -- even though Washington's first-round pick would have been the 13th overall, five slots ahead of Chicago's -- the contest was over. The 'Skins were out of it, even though Cutler and greater Washington were sure it almost happened.

5. In the end, this trade happened so quickly because, first and foremost, the owner of the Broncos felt dissed. And you do not diss Pat Bowlen. Bowlen is 65. He has owned the team for 25 years. In Bowlen's world, there is a protocol to doing business, and part of that protocol is the players and coaches having respect for the owner, regardless of their personal feelings about anyone else in the organization. Imagine Tom Brady ignoring calls from Bob Kraft. It'd never happen. Imagine Dan Rooney getting snubbed by Ben Roethlisberger, or Peyton Manning ditching Jim Irsay. Never in a million years, regardless of how they felt about what was happening with the team.

In all the years Bowlen has owned the team, he has never felt quite the disrespect from a player or coach that he felt from Cutler ignoring his attempts to speak to him to attempt to bridge the problems between player and team. And you cannot underestimate how significant this was in Bowlen's Tuesday night pronouncement that Cutler was being put up on the trading block.

Continued ........ on page 2 of 3

Last edited by Hulamau; 04-06-2009 at 02:40 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

Herlocker ABatar MOJO

Turn the page , i want to read what is on page 2 ... hehe
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #3
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Peter King Peter King >
MONDAY MORNING QB
MMQB (cont.)
page 2 of 3

So many tributaries. Such an interesting deal.

First of all, it should have never, ever come to this. Cutler-McDaniels was a match made in heaven -- a smart, tough, accurate passer with a great arm, in the hands of a Belichick protégé with a good offensive mind. Unless Orton becomes what Brady became in 2001, or Matt Cassel became in 2008, McDaniels and Bronco Nation will always wonder what they could have done to save this relationship. And I believe it could have been saved.

McDaniels could have sweet-talked Cutler a little more than he did. As one of the GMs involved in talking to the Broncos told me Saturday: "This should never have happened. This is bad for football. A great player talked his way off a team. If this trade doesn't work out for Denver, and Cutler plays great, which he should, Denver's going to look idiotic.''

Having said that, Cutler owns a degree of culpability that I believe is greater than the team's. As I wrote Thursday night, he has himself to blame for this trade because he couldn't accept that the team fired the two coaches -- Mike Shanahan and Jeremy Bates -- most responsible for the very good offense the Broncos had in 2008 and then couldn't accept that McDaniels wouldn't assure him he'd never be traded.

Should McDaniels have lied about that? Maybe. But the Broncos once tried to trade John Elway to Washington, and Elway had to come back to the team knowing Dan Reeves wanted to deal him. They were never best friends, but Elway didn't go on strike like Cutler did. Cutler was poked and prodded, but spare me the violins about how the Broncos treated him terribly. I don't buy it. He got treated like an employee, which he is.

I don't write this morning to say Denver won the trade. Not at all. I'll never praise trading a 25-year-old quarterback coming off a 4,000-yard season and possessing the best arm in football. And I'll continue to say the Broncos acted precipitously. They should have let this thing simmer for the next two or three weeks, accept no phone calls from any team, and then, the weekend before the draft, if Cutler was still not to be mollified, then deal him. April 22, fine. April 2 ... what's the rush?

For now, I'll declare the two winners to be the Bears and Orton. The only way I'll call Denver a winner in this is if they use eight primo picks -- five picks in the top 2.5 rounds of this draft, and three more in the first two rounds next year -- to rebuild a patchwork defense. That's a tall order for any team because there's usually a 50-percent washout factor with the high picks in any draft. But McDaniels, to show Denver fans and his own locker room that he was the right man for the job, has to make chicken salad with these draft picks out of the chicken-feathers situation that resulted in Cutler getting dealt.

The Bears finally have the quarterback they've longed for. If anyone thinks the Bears paid too much, let me show you the 14 men who have been first-round picks for the Bears in the last 15 drafts: John Thierry, Rashaan Salaam, Walt Harris, Curtis Enis, Cade McNown, Brian Urlacher, David Terrell, Marc Colombo, Michael Haynes, Rex Grossman, Tommie Harris, Cedric Benson, Greg Olsen, Chris Williams. Let's eliminate judging the last two, from 2007 and 2008, because they don't have enough on their resumes yet. Let's look at the other 12.

Stars: 1 (Urlacher).

Very good NFL starters: 1 (Tommie Harris).

NFL starters: 2 (Walt Harris, Marc Colombo).

Had some moments, but ultimately failed: 3 (Grossman, Thierry, Haynes).

Busts: 5 (Salaam, Enis, McNown, Terrell, Benson).

Four of the 12 became consistent NFL starters, or better. An awful, awful track record. That is why Angelo, a career scout who has too often loved draft picks more than A-Rod loves himself, wasn't very emotional talking to me about what he gave up.

"I've kind of changed about draft choices, particularly first-rounders,'' Angelo told me. "I don't have the same conviction on ones that I used to. It's the money, the totally unrealistic expectations, players coming out younger and not as experienced, players with too much time on their hands and too much money and not being grounded enough. I've become a little pragmatic about the first-round picks. They've been looked at like the Holy Grail for so long. Here, we had a chance to get a quarterback who's already shown he can play really well in the league. He's a guy with resilience; you've got to be resilient playing at Vanderbilt and succeeding John Elway. So we felt like it was a good investment for us. Time will tell.''

That's the sign of a smart general manager. I didn't think Angelo had this kind of move in him, dealing a marginal starting quarterback and three high picks, leaving his team without a first-round pick for two straight years. But it's a gamble any smart GM would make.

Now for Orton. His first words to McDaniels illustrate the kind of sponge and -- the Broncos hope -- player he'll be in Denver, I think. "I just want to have an opportunity to compete for the job and help the team win,'' Orton told McDaniels.

Orton flew to Denver early Friday to meet everyone in the building, and later in the day was waiting at the airport in Denver to fly home when I reached him. He returned to Denver Sunday night, and he'll be a full-timer in the offseason program, competing with Chris Simms -- and maybe, though I doubt it, a first-round quarterback if McDaniels finds one he loves in the draft. I asked Orton why he said what he said first of all to McDaniels.

"It's all I've ever wanted,'' he said. "It's all I ever asked for in college [at Purdue] or here. As long as I have a fair chance, I can deal with whatever the coach decides.''

I found it interesting that Orton was so happy Friday night. Here he was, going from a team with a pretty good defense and a needy offense, where he was the no-doubt starter, to a team where he's the favorite to win the starting job, but nothing will be handed to him.

"It's the offense,'' he said. "I've watched it. I love it. The spread -- or at least, the multifaceted part of it -- really appeals to me. You change from game to game, and you do whatever gives your team the best chance to win that Sunday. That's the way an offense should be. But it counts on the quarterback to be smart at the line of scrimmage, and to make good decisions, and to be accurate. I think those are traits I have.''

Maybe, but he hasn't shown the accuracy in Chicago that he'll have to show in Denver. In 33 career games, he's completed just 55.3 percent of his throws. ...If that continues, McDaniels will have a new quarterback playing by December. But Orton will have two things he never had in Chicago -- time to throw (young tackles Ryan Clady and Ryan Harris are the best young pair of outside blockers in football), and talent to throw to; Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal, arguably, are the best young bookend receivers in the games. "When I found out about the trade,'' Orton said, "I was extremely happy. Everyone knows about Denver's talent on offense.''

As a coach, McDaniels has had great success helping his quarterbacks (Brady, Cassel) move the chains in New England. If he can pass that along to Orton, the offense shouldn't be what loses games for Denver. Now the new coach who's taken the great gamble better hope he can draft defensive players. It's only his job that hangs in the balance.

CONTINUE STORY on page 3

Last edited by Hulamau; 04-06-2009 at 02:20 AM..
Old 04-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #4
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

This is the last page on the trade

Updated: Monday April 6, 2009 3:43AM
Peter King Peter King >
MONDAY MORNING QB
MMQB (cont.)

Quote Chain of the Week
Jay Cutler, to Jay Glazer of FoxSports.com, Wednesday night:

"I didn't want to get traded. That wasn't me. I really didn't want this. I love Denver. I didn't want it to get this far.''

Jay Cutler, to the Chicago media, 44 hours later:

"I'm really happy to be here. It's like a dream come true.''
Quote of the Week I

"If I keep my body in shape, and do the right things, I think I have maybe 10 or 12 more years in my career.''

The careers of Cassel, Cutler and Orton will now forever be entwined. Denver couldn't trade for Cassel in February, which led to Cutler's wildcat strike and trade to Chicago, which led to Orton landing in Denver.

What's so compelling about the quarterback musical chairs is the huge disparity in money they'll make this year. Cassel got the franchise tag in New England, and now, even though it would seem to make sense that Kansas City would try to sign him long-term and lessen the cap burden on the team, the Chiefs are in no hurry to whittle away his one-year contract of nearly $15 million.

At the league meetings two weeks ago, I ran into Cassel's agent, David Dunn, who was trying to figure out why in the world Kansas City GM Scott Pioli wasn't eager to do a long-term deal for Cassel. Simple, I theorized; Cassel's only done it once, and if he's only marginally successful this year with Kansas City, he's not going to be a very good bargain with the $30-million or so in guaranteed money the Chiefs would have to pay him to get a deal done. And if he's great this year, the Chiefs still have the right to make him a restricted free-agent next year, whereby they'd have to pay him 110 percent of his salary this year ($16.115 million) ... which would mean they'd be committing $30.77 million to him over the next two seasons. If you're not positive about whether a quarterback's going to be a franchise guy, it's probably smarter to make him prove it again, even if that could end up costing you a little more in the long run.

If Denver sees Orton as a solid starter this year, it's likely that it will try to re-sign him sometime this year rather than let him get to free-agency. He's in the final year of a two-year contract signed with the Bears last winter.

Cutler is entering year four of a six-year deal. My guess is the Bears will let him play this year out, then sign him after the season to a rich, new deal, assuming things go well in Chicago this year. Analyzing what each team -- the Chiefs, Bears and Broncos -- is getting for its buck this year, based on quarterback performance from 2008 (league rankings from 2008 in parentheses):
Player, Team 2009 base salary W-L Pct. Yards YPA TD-Int Rating
Matt Cassel, KC $14.65 million 11-5 .634 (14) 3,693 (8) 7.2 (11) 21-11 89.4 (10)

Jay Cutler, Chi. $1.04 million 8-8 .623 (11) 4,526 (3) 7.3 (10) 25-18 86.0 (16)

Kyle Orton, Den. $995,000 9-6 .585 (25) 2,972 (19) 6.4 (24) 18-12 79.6 (25)

End of story

Last edited by Hulamau; 04-06-2009 at 01:44 AM..
Old 04-06-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

After reading that, you have to really question taking Sanchez. If he was so sold on Orton that the deal hinged on him, it really doesnt make sense to take a QB in the 1st now.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #6
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
After reading that, you have to really question taking Sanchez. If he was so sold on Orton that the deal hinged on him, it really doesnt make sense to take a QB in the 1st now.
Yep. I would be blown away if they took a QB in the first 3 rounds this year.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:53 AM   #7
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter King
"Denver couldn't trade for Cassel in February, which led to Cutler's wildcat strike,"
Here is yet another guy - in Peter King a very authoritative guy - who's reporting as an established fact that Denver actively tried to trade Jay. I hope we can put that issue to bed now forever, for the historical record. Popps? NewRohirrim?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:56 AM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Here is yet another guy - in Peter King a very authoritative guy - who's reporting as an established fact that Denver actively tried to trade Jay. I hope we can put that issue to bed now forever, for the historical record. Popps? NewRohirrim?
What am I thinking? Nobody ever admits when they're wrong around here.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #9
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
True Lex, would be surprised if he bites on a first round QB now. But wouldn't be surprised if he spends one of the 3rd rounders on what he deems a good sleeper QB he really likes to groom in the wings, just in case.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:26 AM   #10
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I agree with lex ... give Orton and Simms this year ... 2010 is the QB draft bonanza anyway.

It's pretty sad how Jay ignored Bowlen's calls ... bush league. I've said all along Jay was being a baby, but I wouldn't have guessed he would dis Pat like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
"I didn't want to get traded. That wasn't me. I really didn't want this. I love Denver. I didn't want it to get this far.''

That's a sad quote ... sounds like he was still waiting to be wooed.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:32 AM   #11
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
BB show me where he says anything about the original trade scenario? Saying Denver couldn't trade him is just short hand for the 'potential' deal that is not under dispute by anyone!

He doesn't imply or offer any details here about what really went down that day and likely has no more info than what McD has said. There has been NO ONE so far that has offered a credible insiders description of what went on that conflicts with McD and the Broncos insistence that it never got to that level of decision making before Cassel was traded to KC. Not one!

King using those words means nothing here. I have no doubt that if McD could do it all over again now with the benefit of hindsight and what he has since learned and had confirmed to him directly about Cutlers character and all he would have made sure to jump on that deal with Cassel like white on rice. But at the time I belief his repeated insistence that he was interested in looking at the deal but it never got sweet or interesting enough for them to take it to Bowlen.

Until we get a little more evidence to the contrary, Bowlen and McD have my vote of confidence here.

Last edited by Hulamau; 04-06-2009 at 02:34 AM..
Old 04-06-2009, 03:09 AM   #12
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Exactly. Orton seems like he's gonna be the man in Denver for a while.

On another note, I am very impressed with the level of detail and insight that King wrote with. I couldn't read it fast enough. How many of you were gobbling up words like it was candy? I know I was!!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:28 AM   #13
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Wouldn't at all surprise me to see a top RB in the first 5 selected now either. With Orton and the new system you have to think McD wants to make Orton's job as easy as possible as well and a solid banger back there is a must.

Maybe even a nose tackle or Tyson Jackson along with Wells or Moreno with the two firsts.. More likely a second round pick for the RB but wouldn't rule out one of the first.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:37 AM   #14
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

Good article. I think the original deserves a link.
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:56 AM   #15
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
Good article. I think the original deserves a link.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ade/index.html
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #16
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Very good article, thanks for posting and highlighting (bold) what you felt was intriguing.

I agree that Denver probably should've waited a little longer. They could have got the same deal down the road or kept Cutler. This had a lot to do with egos. Started with Cutler's and ended with Pat's. I don't think there is any doubt as to who has the bigger **** now!

Cutler will grow and mature. Will he ever be the leader we want our QB to be though... probably not. Described as a loner and having a "different" personality (C. Bailey) does not lead me to believe that he was on the right path. Those are traits that aren't generally changed and will probably stick with him forever. Still, people will gather around a gamer and IF he can lead his team to victory, that is all the leadership he need show b/c his teammates will follow a winner.

What the Bears need now is a strong handed receiver. All of you have seen Cutler in the games and know how he zings the ball. Many of you have not seen him in practice though. Brandon Marshall has very strong hands. Even with his injury his hands are stronger than most... for the most part he was the only one that could consistently catch those Cutler fastballs. IMO, the Bears would be very wise to sign Torry Holt. While he may not have the speed and quickness he once possessed, he is still a savvy veteran with outstanding hands. He would give the Bears a legitimate #1 receiver and help Cutler to succeed early in Chicago.

For the Broncos, the path forward seems to be Kyle Orton. Here is a snippet from a 2004 article I found just before Purdue played Michigan. Regarding the offense that Orton played in which has been described (Thanks Med!) as very similar to McD's.

Offensive Strategy:

Purdue runs its trademark one-back, multiple wide receiver offense well and makes defenses cover the entire field. The BoilerMakers run the ball more than perceived. In 2003 the team ran the ball more than it passed and this year's offense is very balanced (only four more passes than runs). Brandon Jones and Jerod Void do a good job off keeping defenses honest and that translates into more success for Orton and the passing game. Also, watch for the ball to be thrown to the tailbacks on screens and swings to the flat. Purdue has done it all year and Illinois burned Michigan on passes to the backs. Purdue believes in getting the ball short to it's playmakers and allowing them to do just that- make plays. On Saturday look for a balanced attack initially. Michigan will be using a lot of defensive backs in nickel packages to offset the passing game. A consistent ground game may force Jim Hermann to add a man to the box, giving Orton more single coverage looks.

Kyle Orton's stats his final year at Purdue:
Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Rating RushAtt Yds Avg TD
389 236 60.7 3,090 31 5 151.1 80 112 1.4 3

This despite having receivers that were generally described as system types and the only notable receiver they had was Taylor Stubblefield (released by the Panthers as a rookie in '05).

Bottom line, I think we should expect to see 4 defensive picks in our first 5 picks (rds 1-3) in a couple of weeks. I'm still trying to gauge who we will go with on offense. If Maclin slips he'll likely be the pick. Other than Maclin it could be any one of Wells, Moreno, Harvin, Unger, Brown, or McCoy. I say Unger only b/c I think McD will be intrigued by his ability to play multiple positions effectively and the fact that he can be groomed as the Center of the future.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:56 AM   #17
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Orton is starting to grow on me. He might be an average to below average NFL starting QB, but it seems liek he's more coachable than Cutler, and a better fit for the system.

We've got a solid (perhaps the best) offensive line in Clady, Harris, Wiegman, and Hamilton ... Graham, Marshall, Royal, Stokely to throw to ... if Hillis is as good as I think he is, than Orton should be a very efficient QB for us.

I wouldn't be suprised if he puts up better stats than Cutler the next couple of years.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #18
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
No kidding!!

and for the record as well

"For now, I'll declare the two winners to be the Bears and Orton. "

Why is only the positive Broncos slant hilighted in the article? equally as much damning evidence to the contrary.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:32 AM   #19
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

I'm not overly concerned about losing Cutler. It really sucks but at the same time I think his success was tied to Bates and the Oline. He has neither in Chicago. The running games are about equal. The receivers in Chicago aren't even in the same level. Offensively Chicago is poorer talent wise across the entire board except QB now.

Defensively they are average but haven't been dominant since they lost the Super Bowl. Will they continue the trend down or right the ship?

People b****ed about his on field attitude and yelling at his receivers. Well now he has guys that barely qualify for the job description. How is that going to work for the teams chemistry?

People b****ed that Cutler turned it over too much this past year. What's he going to do in Chicago now that he won't have 5 seconds to throw it every play? He's going to have to grow up damn quick or they'll be regretting it by week 5.

I don't think Cutler will ever win a Super Bowl. I think it's more likely he'll alienate a batch of teammates (he's the new guy now, he has to earn this teams trust, it's not a bunch of rookies & second year guys playing follow the leader) and get hurt when his mentality of not avoiding contact on the field runs into the Bears piss poor pass protection.

Our only concern should be turning the picks we got into solid starters or better. If we do that we come out winners. We can get by with Orton if we do that. We got by with Plummer after all.

Last edited by snowspot66; 04-06-2009 at 06:36 AM..
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #20
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Does anyone have the video replay when Orton got injured and had his O-linemen carry him up to the line of scrimmage? Wasn't that him?

The dude looks goofy (so did Cutler), but he has heart.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:36 AM   #21
T henry rulz
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Wow. What a bunch of dilusional homers.

One question. Before McDaniels upset Cutler with his failed attempt to land his golden boy Cassel, is there any way Denver would have traded Cutler for anything? Hell no. Good move on the no registration thing BTW. Wouldn't want to hurt any vags around here. I'm sure this post is enough to get me banned from such a manly site too. Don't bother I'm gone.
T henry rulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #22
broncofan
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
Orton is starting to grow on me. He might be an average to below average NFL starting QB, but it seems liek he's more coachable than Cutler, and a better fit for the system.

We've got a solid (perhaps the best) offensive line in Clady, Harris, Wiegman, and Hamilton ... Graham, Marshall, Royal, Stokely to throw to ... if Hillis is as good as I think he is, than Orton should be a very efficient QB for us.

I wouldn't be suprised if he puts up better stats than Cutler the next couple of years.
Same here. I'm pretty intrigued to see what develops, as I feel that Orton is a better QB than Matt Cassel.
broncofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #23
T henry rulz
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
Same here. I'm pretty intrigued to see what develops, as I feel that Orton is a better QB than Matt Cassel.

OMFG!! You guys are absolute HOMERS!!!. If you had Cassel paired with Mcdaniels (the QB he wanted) You would be calling him the best QB in the league.

Orton? ORTON?
T henry rulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:43 AM   #24
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
1. The key to the trade was Kyle Orton.[/SIZE] Laugh if you want, but it's the absolute truth. McDaniels looked hard at tape of the available quarterbacks from teams that made serious offers, players like Orton, Washington's Jason Campbell and Tampa Bay's Luke McCown. Every one of those teams was in the ballpark with an offer of at least two first-round draft picks and a quarterback.[/B]

[SIZE="3"]But as the deal went down, McDaniels, who watched every offensive snap of more than 10 Bears games with Orton playing, got more and more impressed with Orton's arm, his decision-making and his ability to extend plays when the pocket broke down. You can think and I can think it's crazy he didn't like Campbell -- who got Washington off to a 6-2 start last year -- more than he liked Orton, but it's the unvarnished truth. McDaniels thinks he can win with Orton.
McDaniels thinks that he can win with his grandmother at QB from what I can tell.

If he can't win with Orton, and if Pat Bowlen isn't senile, he should be gone this year. Period. Props to him if he pulls it off.

As far as Cutler versus McDaniel's goes, Let's keep in mind that Cutler (or any player) is going to do what is best for him unless given sufficent reason not to be the HC/GM. It is the HC/GM's job is to do what's best for the team and convience players to play for them.

Letting Bus Cook and the best young Pro-Bowl quarterback in the league go because you were unable to manage their ego is still a disaster. Pat Bowlner getting so pissed that he publically declared a trade loosing leverage is another example of how arrogant/useless the front office is.

Peter King puts the decision on Jay, but Jay is getting exactly what he wanted, and he played McDaniels as a fool to do it.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:49 AM   #25
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
No kidding!!

and for the record as well

"For now, I'll declare the two winners to be the Bears and Orton. "

Why is only the positive Broncos slant hilighted in the article? equally as much damning evidence to the contrary.
Kind of hard not to say that "for now the winners are the Bears and Orton." It will likely take a few years to really determine the "winner" of the trade. And naturally it all depends on how our additional draft picks turn out.

I do have concerns about our draft as we have lost a lot in the scouting department. New personnel scattered throughout and recently added to boot.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote