The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli
Default The AFC West Going Forward

I like to try and size things up before the draft. Post draft a lot of people start thinking that their team added seven Pro Bowlers to the roster when in reality only a few rookies make major contributions right away. Iíd like to see what people are thinking about all four teams in the division beyond the obvious ĎAl is senile, Norv is stupid, Denver doesnít have a DLí type stuff.

The schedule sucks ass for sure, especially for Oakland and San Diego. All eight of the NFC East and AFC North teams are Eastern Time Zone. Each team in the AFC West also plays a team from the AFC East, piling on even more. That is nine games total against east coasters. This is a huge advantage for Kansas City. West Coast teams were 0-16 traveling east until week 13 when San Francisco beat Buffalo. Iím not saying that KC will be good enough to take advantage of it and win the division, but they have an edge going in.

I think Oakland is going to wind up in the cellar again. They have issues in virtually every area of their roster. About a week ago, a news site posted a story that Chad Johnson had been traded to Oakland for their 2nd round pick and Michael Bush. It turned out to be a false report, but if Oakland sweetened that offer a little bit then itís a deal that would make sense for both teams. Maybe it will go down in the future. Wide Receiver is where the Raiders need to make immediate and major improvement if they want to be competitive this year. Their defense is hamstrung by being on the field too much and their offense is hamstrung by inability to convert 3rd downs. Their 3rd down conversion % was last in the NFL despite running the ball effectively on 1st and 2nd downs. Jamarcus looks like crap, but he is also surrounded by crap so what can you really expect? He needs a go-to target. If they pull off a deal for Johnson and then add offensive line help in the draft then they will improve significantly as a team. They already added Khalif Barnes, who is an ok player. Defensively they still have issues, but they also have a lot of building blocks in place. Morrison and Howard are awesome linebackers, they have a talented pass rusher in Burgess, and they have a playmaker in the secondary with Asomougha. They need to fill holes for sure, but there is a lot of potential for turnaround there if they can add a couple players up front.

Kansas City is going to be the most improved team in the division. For starters, Herm was addition by subtraction. Todd Haley might be an unknown, but his track record indicates future success. I was impressed with how he stood up to Kurt Warner and Edgerrin James when they b****ed about stuff and also how he helped refocus the team after their December slump. Secondly, the Chiefs have had a lot of high draft picks lately. The talent level of their team has improved a lot even if it hasnít been reflected in wins. They are building a core. A lot of times talented rookies donít make huge contributions right away, but when a young solid core is built they blossom together all at the same time. What they absolutely need to do is add a pass rusher. Everett Brown is the best pure pass rusher in this yearís draft, but he is undersized and Clancy Pendergast has favored bigger DEís in the past. Aaron Curry is the best overall defensive player in the draft and heíll probably be there when the Chiefs are picking. They will take him and then maybe get somebody like Michael Johnson or Lawrence Sidbury later on to pair with Tamba Hali. Between those guys, Brandon Flowers, Glenn Dorsey, Derrick Johnson, and Bernard Pollard they will have a nice core of young players going forward on defense. It might come together this year or it might not happen until next year or later, but I think it will happen at some point in the near future. They might have to wait one more year to add the elite pass rusher that they need.

Denver I think is in a world of hurt for obvious reasons. The defense is a multi-year project. The offense is going through a huge transition. The bright spot is clearly the supporting cast on offense. Kyle Orton should do ok with much better receivers and an offensive line good enough to make any runner look good. Ok isnít going to win games though with the defense looking as bad as it is. That will take a few years to fix, and I think those are going to be lean years in Denver.

San Diego is paying for overinvesting in luxury positions. In 2006 most people would have agreed that their offensive and defensive lines were among the best in the league and they won 14 games. Since then they havenít added any players to those groups and they are paying for it. They are clearly no longer elite units, and the depth on both fronts is disgusting. The cause is obvious. Last year they spent their first two picks on a nickel cornerback and what they thought would be a third running back. The year before it was a wide receiver and a safety. They need an infusion of talent in the trenches. Their draft this year should be beef, beef, and beef. They need to spent at least three of their first four draft picks on linemen and also look into signing someone like Vonnie Holliday if they want to compete with more physical teams like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Tennessee. Until they address it, those teams are clearly a cut above. Their offense was more impressive last year than most people realize. Despite their run game falling into the abyss, **** pass protection, and adjusting to a new ACL Phillip Rivers lead the offense to the second most points in the NFL and the third highest 3rd down conversion %. He is the guy to build around. They need to beef up the line and Norv needs to be more willing to shake up the running back situation if things arenít working.

In the end, I say San Diego wins 10 games, KC 8, Denver 5, and Oakland 4. And San Diego wins the Superbowl.

Iíd like to hear what you all think. Please try and keep it objective and productive and not turn it into my team is better than your team type thing.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Dallas is in Central Standard Time.

nitpicking i know...
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
Dallas is in Central Standard Time.

nitpicking i know...
Old 04-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

KC isn't close to being 8 games good yet, even with Cassel. Without a 2nd round pick, no chance they're getting Michael Johnson either. So they're young and have some rookies who played a lot, doesn't mean they'll eventually be players. You're relying too much on a belief they'll simply improve, which may or may not happen.

Denver's got issues, they'll still be able to move the ball but I think they really need a 20+ carry a game back, which they don't have. That will really take the pressure off of Orton. This offense could survive when everyone knew they had to pass with Cutler back there, they can't with Orton. What, if any, improvement they can see in the Front 7 on defense will depend entirely on if they can get 2 contributors right away in this draft. They can survive with the secondary they have from the FA signings, but if QBs have all day like they have had in the past, then the additional talent in the back won't mean jack.

SD wins the division this year going away, and the other 3 are left to compete to see who sucks the least for 2nd and 3rd.

Last edited by Hercules Rockefeller; 04-05-2009 at 09:30 PM..
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
I like to try and size things up before the draft. Post draft a lot of people start thinking that their team added seven Pro Bowlers to the roster when in reality only a few rookies make major contributions right away. Iíd like to see what people are thinking about all four teams in the division beyond the obvious ĎAl is senile, Norv is stupid, Denver doesnít have a DLí type stuff.

The schedule sucks ass for sure, especially for Oakland and San Diego. All eight of the NFC East and AFC North teams are Eastern Time Zone. Each team in the AFC West also plays a team from the AFC East, piling on even more. That is nine games total against east coasters. This is a huge advantage for Kansas City. West Coast teams were 0-16 traveling east until week 13 when San Francisco beat Buffalo. Iím not saying that KC will be good enough to take advantage of it and win the division, but they have an edge going in.

I think Oakland is going to wind up in the cellar again. They have issues in virtually every area of their roster. About a week ago, a news site posted a story that Chad Johnson had been traded to Oakland for their 2nd round pick and Michael Bush. It turned out to be a false report, but if Oakland sweetened that offer a little bit then itís a deal that would make sense for both teams. Maybe it will go down in the future. Wide Receiver is where the Raiders need to make immediate and major improvement if they want to be competitive this year. Their defense is hamstrung by being on the field too much and their offense is hamstrung by inability to convert 3rd downs. Their 3rd down conversion % was last in the NFL despite running the ball effectively on 1st and 2nd downs. Jamarcus looks like crap, but he is also surrounded by crap so what can you really expect? He needs a go-to target. If they pull off a deal for Johnson and then add offensive line help in the draft then they will improve significantly as a team. They already added Khalif Barnes, who is an ok player. Defensively they still have issues, but they also have a lot of building blocks in place. Morrison and Howard are awesome linebackers, they have a talented pass rusher in Burgess, and they have a playmaker in the secondary with Asomougha. They need to fill holes for sure, but there is a lot of potential for turnaround there if they can add a couple players up front.

Kansas City is going to be the most improved team in the division. For starters, Herm was addition by subtraction. Todd Haley might be an unknown, but his track record indicates future success. I was impressed with how he stood up to Kurt Warner and Edgerrin James when they b****ed about stuff and also how he helped refocus the team after their December slump. Secondly, the Chiefs have had a lot of high draft picks lately. The talent level of their team has improved a lot even if it hasnít been reflected in wins. They are building a core. A lot of times talented rookies donít make huge contributions right away, but when a young solid core is built they blossom together all at the same time. What they absolutely need to do is add a pass rusher. Everett Brown is the best pure pass rusher in this yearís draft, but he is undersized and Clancy Pendergast has favored bigger DEís in the past. Aaron Curry is the best overall defensive player in the draft and heíll probably be there when the Chiefs are picking. They will take him and then maybe get somebody like Michael Johnson or Lawrence Sidbury later on to pair with Tamba Hali. Between those guys, Brandon Flowers, Glenn Dorsey, Derrick Johnson, and Bernard Pollard they will have a nice core of young players going forward on defense. It might come together this year or it might not happen until next year or later, but I think it will happen at some point in the near future. They might have to wait one more year to add the elite pass rusher that they need.

Denver I think is in a world of hurt for obvious reasons. The defense is a multi-year project. The offense is going through a huge transition. The bright spot is clearly the supporting cast on offense. Kyle Orton should do ok with much better receivers and an offensive line good enough to make any runner look good. Ok isnít going to win games though with the defense looking as bad as it is. That will take a few years to fix, and I think those are going to be lean years in Denver.

San Diego is paying for overinvesting in luxury positions. In 2006 most people would have agreed that their offensive and defensive lines were among the best in the league and they won 14 games. Since then they havenít added any players to those groups and they are paying for it. They are clearly no longer elite units, and the depth on both fronts is disgusting. The cause is obvious. Last year they spent their first two picks on a nickel cornerback and what they thought would be a third running back. The year before it was a wide receiver and a safety. They need an infusion of talent in the trenches. Their draft this year should be beef, beef, and beef. They need to spent at least three of their first four draft picks on linemen and also look into signing someone like Vonnie Holliday if they want to compete with more physical teams like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Tennessee. Until they address it, those teams are clearly a cut above. Their offense was more impressive last year than most people realize. Despite their run game falling into the abyss, **** pass protection, and adjusting to a new ACL Phillip Rivers lead the offense to the second most points in the NFL and the third highest 3rd down conversion %. He is the guy to build around. They need to beef up the line and Norv needs to be more willing to shake up the running back situation if things arenít working.

In the end, I say San Diego wins 10 games, KC 8, Denver 5, and Oakland 4. And San Diego wins the Superbowl.

Iíd like to hear what you all think. Please try and keep it objective and productive and not turn it into my team is better than your team type thing.
I would flip Denver and KC as far as record wise and call it good.

Adding a new coach can sort of re-energize a team, by the fact that no one is sure what kind of team Denver is going to be, I would think we can sneak in a few more wins that 5.
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

And I'll add records.

SD: 9-10
KC: 5-6
Den: 4-6
Oak: 3-4

Also, no news site reported the Bush/Ocho Cinco swap, it came from the BleacherReport which is pretty much any other message board that allows their people to contribute "articles" to be posted.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

While San Diego tries to get into some fancy "playoff" the real race will be between Oakland, KC, and Denver for who will get the #1 pick in next year's draft.

It will be exciting, I guarantee it.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
KC isn't close to being 8 games good yet, even with Cassel. Without a 2nd round pick, no chance they're getting Michael Johnson either. So they're young and have some rookies who played a lot, doesn't mean they'll eventually be players. You're relying too much on a belief they'll simply improve, which may or may not happen.

Denver's got issues, they'll still be able to move the ball but I think they really need a 20+ carry a game back, which they don't have. That will really take the pressure off of Orton. This offense could survive when everyone knew they had to pass with Cutler back there, they can't with Orton. What, if any, improvement they can see in the Front 7 on defense will depend entirely on if they can get 2 contributors right away in this draft. They can survive with the secondary they have from the FA signings, but if QBs have all day like they have had in the past, then the additional talent in the back won't mean jack.

SD wins the division this year going away, and the other 3 are left to compete to see who sucks the least for 2nd and 3rd.
Between Michael Johnson's disappointing year, average workouts, and the rising stock of guys like Connor Barwin, Robert Ayes, and Larry English that Johnson will be there in the 3rd for KC. People don't seem to like him that much anymore.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post

1st off i need to call you a homer.

secondly, as teams stand right now, before the draft and concidering the AFC West plays a lot of rough games. i am going to say SD gets 9 wins, because they haven't really upgraded much or at all since the end of last season, and I am not sure how good Merriman will be to start the season, but i am expecting rust and him to be about 70% of what he was before injury to begin the season. the Broncos, with adequate defensive coaching and the dumping of the trash on the defense, i expected the team to get 9 wins as well, but with the trading of our QB and still no running game to speak of, and Marshall's posible suspension, i am dropping the number of wins to 6. KC got a QB who i don't think is going to be any good outside of NE, and not much else, so i say 5 wins. Oakland remains a cellar dweller and gets 4 wins.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

9-7 will win the division this year .......
Chargers are still the team to beat and that isnt saying much
Chiefs , even if Cassel is all he is advertised to be ,there are still to many holes
Denver ... so many question marks , we wont have a clue until after the draft , we will still have alot of questions , but at least we will know where we are heading ......
Raiders get Garcia , they will be contenders for the afc west title but not much more ........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Pre-draft, I like our offense quite a bit more then KC and our defenses both are transitioning and both suck, so the race for 2nd place should be a nail biter but I think we take it. Post draft, theoretically we should improve more, but we will see.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpac1001 View Post
Pre-draft, I like our offense quite a bit more then KC and our defenses both are transitioning and both suck, so the race for 2nd place should be a nail biter but I think we take it. Post draft, theoretically we should improve more, but we will see.
but if we can draft well ......I am worried about switching to a 3-4 ( I read somewhere we was ) but now is the time to do it , we got the draft picks to make the switch ........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
While San Diego tries to get into some fancy "playoff" the real race will be between Oakland, KC, and Denver for who will get the #1 pick in next year's draft.

It will be exciting, I guarantee it.
Pretty much my view as well. Although, I think Oakland has a lock on the cellar, KC has improved and DEN got worse, so it'll be a dogfight for that 3rd spot. SD, although falling as well imo, will win the division, and I don't think they'll have much trouble doing so.

No wildcard will come from the AFC West this year.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #14
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Oakland: I still see a lot of athletes with not a lot of football. I don't think there is enough brains on their coaching staff to develop them either. Their defense is hot and cold. McFadden has all the earmarks of a typical Al Davis bust. Russell isn't that great and especially is this true when you consider he's still throwing to Lelie and Walker. Their D-line is old and washed up. Basically they have Nnamdi and some linebackers. Until Al Davis dies they will never get over the 6 win mark.

KC: Their "awesome draft" has yielded little, though they could still develop. Worst is their top pick in Dorsey is now moving to a system that doesn't fit his skill set. Their coaching change is a huge upgrade. This is partly slanted because of how horrible Herm is, but I don't want to take anything away from Todd Haley. They're moving to new systems, and that includes Cassel, which means they will have some growing pains. I think they'll be way better than they were (at least double their wins) but I don't know about that next level. I really, really don't want them to land Curry, but don't see any scenario where they won't. Someone taking Curry would be awesome because there isn't anyone else at 3 worth the money.

Chargers: They've become really soft. Rivers is excellent, and Sproles helped carry his team. They have good enough receivers and a healthy Gates will make their offense potent this year. My concern is on their offensive and defensive lines. Both are soft. Their interior of their linebacking corps is soft too. Getting Merriman back will be a huge boon as well. They think their safeties are weak (and they are) but I think Weddle takes a step forward this year. I don't know that he'll ever be "awesome" but I think things come together with him.

Broncos: A lot of people think we're going to be "terrible" this year. I disagree. The defense, not unlike the Herm firing, took a big step forward when they replaced Slowick. The coaching staff and philosophy will make the team more physical on defense and we'll generate more turnovers. On offense we have all the key pieces back: the great offensive line (including the coach), the receivers, the tight ends and we added some running backs. We lost Cutler, but we got a QB that is 12-2 at home. I predict that we'll be lower in total offense (down from 2) but we'll be better in points scored (up from 16th). I think we surprise a lot of teams. Our schedule is brutal, but I think we'll be better than people think. By that I mean most people think we'll win 3-5 games and I think we win 6-8.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #15
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Oakland: I still see a lot of athletes with not a lot of football. I don't think there is enough brains on their coaching staff to develop them either. Their defense is hot and cold. McFadden has all the earmarks of a typical Al Davis bust. Russell isn't that great and especially is this true when you consider he's still throwing to Lelie and Walker. Their D-line is old and washed up. Basically they have Nnamdi and some linebackers. Until Al Davis dies they will never get over the 6 win mark.

KC: Their "awesome draft" has yielded little, though they could still develop. Worst is their top pick in Dorsey is now moving to a system that doesn't fit his skill set. Their coaching change is a huge upgrade. This is partly slanted because of how horrible Herm is, but I don't want to take anything away from Todd Haley. They're moving to new systems, and that includes Cassel, which means they will have some growing pains. I think they'll be way better than they were (at least double their wins) but I don't know about that next level. I really, really don't want them to land Curry, but don't see any scenario where they won't. Someone taking Curry would be awesome because there isn't anyone else at 3 worth the money.

Chargers: They've become really soft. Rivers is excellent, and Sproles helped carry his team. They have good enough receivers and a healthy Gates will make their offense potent this year. My concern is on their offensive and defensive lines. Both are soft. Their interior of their linebacking corps is soft too. Getting Merriman back will be a huge boon as well. They think their safeties are weak (and they are) but I think Weddle takes a step forward this year. I don't know that he'll ever be "awesome" but I think things come together with him.

Broncos: A lot of people think we're going to be "terrible" this year. I disagree. The defense, not unlike the Herm firing, took a big step forward when they replaced Slowick. The coaching staff and philosophy will make the team more physical on defense and we'll generate more turnovers. On offense we have all the key pieces back: the great offensive line (including the coach), the receivers, the tight ends and we added some running backs. We lost Cutler, but we got a QB that is 12-2 at home. I predict that we'll be lower in total offense (down from 2) but we'll be better in points scored (up from 16th). I think we surprise a lot of teams. Our schedule is brutal, but I think we'll be better than people think. By that I mean most people think we'll win 3-5 games and I think we win 6-8.

15-2 buddy, let's get it right
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #16
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

San Diego will win the division next year. I think that's about 90% certain.

KC should be improved but I'm guessing they won't win more than 6 or 7 games.

Oakland... I have no idea. And I don't care either.

I think the Broncos will be better than what most people think. Somewhere between 7 and 9 wins. If we get some playmakers from the draft that can start on D right away, and if Orton plays solid ball I think we'll be an average team. Not bad by any means. I just want us to be an agressive team once again, a team that doesn't fold under pressure... a team that we don't have to call "finesse" ever again.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #17
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Is KC for sure going to a 3-4? I heard it discussed as a possibility but not a certainty.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #18
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

SD will have the exact same team this year that they had last year, except everyone is a year older, including their RB, who looks to be on his last legs. And they are playing a much harder schedule, yet they will win two more games. Nah, don't think so. They win 7 if they're lucky.
Karenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #19
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Safeties always come out looking like a-holes when the front seven isn't performing well. Kevin Burnett was an ok signing at middle linebacker and should completely keep the Great White Mangina Wilhelm off the field. I think Burnett and Stephen Cooper will start and Tim Dobbins and/or Brandon Siler (love him) will be package guys. It's not a position of strength, but it's not the glaring weakness that it was last year when had to roll out two lead-footed pansy white guys at the same time. The defensive line is what has really gone to ****. It's down to two starting caliber players and one decent rotational guy. Top 3-4 defenses need four starting caliber types and at least two good rotators. I would spend the Chargers first two picks on DL without question if I was in charge of things, and then I would sign a guy and also use a late round pick.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #20
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Eddie Royal had better be thanking every football god there is that he just got the OC who has turned wes welker in to a 100 reception machine but even if we dont take a huge step back on O our schedual is going to kill us so I would say we are probably gonna be 6-10 this season.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #21
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

San Diego should run away with the division, as for where the rest end up... it's a toss up.

Denver could realistically finish second or even dead last. Fact of the matter is that Denver went through some dramatic changes...we really don't know how the team stacks up right now.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #22
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

fun read, interesting and thoughtful analysis. Who can really say at this point how it will go down. You know, you're setting yourself up for this thread to be unearthed in December, for better or worse.
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #23
JJJ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

SD lines, especially on D, are so weak and lack depth I really believe 8-8 again might be considered a good season. If they go RB in the first round I may slit someone esle's wrist. I hope they trade down to get a 2nd.

Look for one of the other three teams to pullout a 9-7 season and take the division. KC and Den both could reach that number of wins.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #24
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

All this turmoil will probably have it's consequences in the Broncos record, but 6 wins seems more likely than 4. We have to get a little lucky somewhere during the season, and Denver isn't as bad as four earned wins. The schedule is the toughest in many years as many have noted, but even so, the Broncos are not devoid of talent by any stretch of the imagination. I could see San Diego winning 9 or ten games, with Denver, Kansas City and Oakland all within a game of 6 wins, plus or minus.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:16 AM   #25
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Denver is now in a major rebuilding effort. Offense has no real QB or feature back while the defense doesn't have much talent going forward. Bailey and Dawkins are good defenders, but are both past their prime, especially Dawkins.

Oakland is still Oakland.

KC is interesting. They have young talented players such as Dorsey, Albert, Charles, Cox, and Cottam going forward. The system is going to be very similar to what Cassel ran in NE and Haley/Gailey have are excellent with QB's. The defense will be a hybrid mix of the 3-4 and 4-3 which fits our players pretty well.
KC wants OUT of the 3 spot to pick up a 2nd rounder, so don't be surprised to see it happen.

As for SD, I think they downgraded. LT is going downhill, Merriman is coming back from a serious injury with NO roids. They lost Olshansky. Their OL was almost as bad as KC's last year and they are getting progressively worse every year with Norv.

You can call me a homer all you want, but I really don't see why KC can't win the division. Denver and Oakland are a mess, KC lost to SD by less than 3 points combined in both games (should have won game at Arrowhead), and SD's terrible OL last season gave up 5 sacks to the DL with the worst pass rush of all time. (KC got 10 sacks last year.)

It will surely be interesting
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote