The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



View Poll Results: What is the difference between the Portis trade and the Cutler trade?
Basically they're the same. They both traded a premier player in his prime to improve the team 22 26.19%
I hated the Portis trade and I hate this Cutler trade 3 3.57%
I hated the Portis trade but I love this Cutler trade. 4 4.76%
I liked the Portis trade and I like this Cutler trade 21 25.00%
I liked the Portis trade but I hate this Cutler trade. 34 40.48%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default There is no difference in the reasoning behind the Portis trade and the Cutler trade

Portis a disgruntled RB Shanahan traded to Washington for a player and a pick and got an all world corner and a decent RB.

Cutler a disgruntled QB Bowlen/McDaniels traded to Chicago for boat load of picks and a decent QB.

The Portis trade made us a better team and Shanny was praised around the league and in here for a great trade.

Now we got a new coach that gets high marks around the league as a great football mind (not unlike Shanny when he was hired here) yet many of you are saying the franchise is set back for years at best.

Tell me what is the difference between the Portis trade and the Cutler trade.

Last edited by baja; 04-05-2009 at 04:33 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,423

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Portis a disgruntled RB Shanahan traded to Washington for a player and a pick we filled in at the position and got an all world corner and a decent RB.

Cutler a disgruntled QB Bowlen/McDaniels traded to Chicago for boat load of picks and a decent QB.

The Portis trade made us a better team and Shanny was praised around the league and in here for a great trade.

Now we got a new coach that gets high marks around the league as a great football mind (not unlike Shanny when he was hired here) yet many of you are saying the franchise is set back for years at best.

Tell me what is the difference between the Portis trade and the Cutler trade.
Oh, this should be interesting.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,528

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Tell me what is the difference between the Portis trade and the Cutler trade.
Productive running backs are not nearly as hard to find as productive quarterbacks. Thread over.
spdirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

I will go on record and say the word franchise will be used alot like it actually means something when you put QB after it.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Productive running backs are not nearly as hard to find as productive quarterbacks. Thread over.
You need to move on buddy.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Meh ...... the same
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
DBBBSBS
Pro Bowler
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 544

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Team Broncos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Productive running backs are not nearly as hard to find as productive quarterbacks. Thread over.
You just got F Grade. Try Again !!!
DBBBSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

I'll bet odds the same people that hated the Portis trade also hate the Cutler trade.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
mwill07
Ring of Famer
 
mwill07's Avatar
 
Lurker Extraordinaire

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,844

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM
Default

Portis trade was to improve the team by re-allocating strengths from a position of historic strength to a position of historic weakness. Broncos were a better team afterwards.

Cutler trade was to remove a team cancer - a trade that was forced to be made. This trade in no way improved the Broncos in a position of historic weakness. This team will not be better without Cutler, but they avoided the team imploding around lack of respect for the HC and therefore prevented the team from getting weaker.

I guess I loved the portis trade, and hate that we had to make the Cutler trade - not sure how else to put it.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Yeah...they're exactly the same, except that Portis played RB, which meant that unlike trading a FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK who you hardly ever get a shot to draft, we could plug and play almost anyone in there and get production in our system, and the fact that Bailey was the BEST CB IN THE GAME...Kyle Orton...not so much, and the fact that Bailey played a position Shanahan couldn't fill in the draft, and the fact that we got a 2nd rounder to go with Champ that became another 1000 yard rusher, and the fact that our draft picks will be chosen by people who have zero experience making the picks.

Yeah...exactly alike.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

I think it is more a case of two players that no longer wanted to play for Pat Bowlen and the Broncos so they were shown the door while maximizing their values.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,794
Default

Portis trade was great, and it was obvious from the get go. This trade will take some time to see if we did the right thing.

The trades are similar in that, with the Portis trade, Shanahan just decided that in his system we didn't need that luxury of having a superstar running back and that the drop-off in the running game would be more than made up for by the improvements on defense.

Same thing with Cutler leaving. McDaniels thinks his system doesn't require a "franchise" qb but his defense could use some beef. It might help us 2 years down the road, but we aren't going to be better next season for it.

Both coaches may have overlooked the fact that it might have been just as easy to wait a year and draft well and you have the best of both worlds. As good as Champ is, we are now seeing that, without a d-line, he's almost worthless.

So yes, i see the parallel. Although, I would argue that running backs are much more expendable in the Shanahan system than a quarterback is in the McDaniels system.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #13
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Yeah...they're exactly the same, except that Portis played RB, which meant that unlike trading a FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK who you hardly ever get a shot to draft, we could plug and play almost anyone in there and get production in our system, and the fact that Bailey was the BEST CB IN THE GAME...Kyle Orton...not so much, and the fact that Bailey played a position Shanahan couldn't fill in the draft, and the fact that we got a 2nd rounder to go with Champ that became another 1000 yard rusher, and the fact that our draft picks will be chosen by people who have zero experience making the picks.

Yeah...exactly alike.
I'm not disagreeing with the gist of your argument, however, we don't have any experience making picks either and we sure do like to toss our opinions around.

At this point, all we can do is just wait and see. It will be a while before we find out whether the picks were worth it.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #14
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Yeah...they're exactly the same, except that Portis played RB, which meant that unlike trading a FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK who you hardly ever get a shot to draft, we could plug and play almost anyone in there and get production in our system, and the fact that Bailey was the BEST CB IN THE GAME...Kyle Orton...not so much, and the fact that Bailey played a position Shanahan couldn't fill in the draft, and the fact that we got a 2nd rounder to go with Champ that became another 1000 yard rusher, and the fact that our draft picks will be chosen by people who have zero experience making the picks.

Yeah...exactly alike.
See this is what I thought, your major wig out is about an assumption that the players are going to be poor choices. You are freaking out about something that has not happened yet and further more all the intel we have says McDaniels strong suit is spotting talent.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
See this is what I thought, your major wig out is about an assumption that the players are going to be poor choices. You are freaking out about something that has not happened yet and further more all the intel we have says McDaniels strong suit is spotting talent.
About 1/5 of my argument has to do with Opie & Co. having never run a draft before.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #16
AlienBronco
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Not far enough from the Hurricane Belt!
Posts: 456
Default

Its not the same, Good QB are harder to find!
AlienBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #17
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp View Post
I'm not disagreeing with the gist of your argument, however, we don't have any experience making picks either and we sure do like to toss our opinions around.

At this point, all we can do is just wait and see. It will be a while before we find out whether the picks were worth it.
We don't get paid to pick players...not quite the same. Besides...the thread is about whether the trades are the same or not, not whether the picks are worth it.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #18
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post

Cutler trade was to remove a team cancer
Well, we sure are getting pretty liberal with the use of the word "team cancer" nowadays aren't we? Was he a cancer before Bates was fired and McDaniels considered trading him for Cassell? Just asking. Also, was he a cancer when he put a whooping on the Raiders and brought us back against San Diego the following week and you, most likely, jumped up off of your couch with both fists raised in the air? Again, just asking.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #19
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I'll bet odds the same people that hated the Portis trade also hate the Cutler trade.
I was ok with the Portis trade, but am not a fan of the Cutler trade.

I think I remember having reservations as soon as it happened, but then I warmed up to it quickly.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 04-05-2009 at 05:12 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #20
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp View Post
Well, we sure are getting pretty liberal with the use of the word "team cancer" nowadays aren't we? Was he a cancer before Bates was fired and McDaniels considered trading him for Cassell? Just asking. Also, was he a cancer when he put a whooping on the Raiders and brought us back against San Diego the following week and you, most likely, jumped up off of your couch with both fists raised in the air? Again, just asking.

Hes had character issues before and they manifested bigtime after the shanahan firing and went overboard after the bates firing and was pretty exposed as a potential cancer.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #21
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
We don't get paid to pick players...not quite the same. Besides...the thread is about whether the trades are the same or not, not whether the picks are worth it.
Then yes, the trades are very similar in terms of the philosophy behind them.

Also, when considering the similarities, you have to consider the overall value of each trade to the franchise. This is where draft pick value comes in. But if you are satisfied mucking around in something that has already been confirmed (that yes, they are very similar in terms of philosophy) countless times within the first hour that the thread was opened be my guest.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #22
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

we traded a sure thing for another sure thing..Champ bailey.

not the same
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #23
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Hes had character issues before and they manifested bigtime after the shanahan firing and went overboard after the bates firing and was pretty exposed as a potential cancer.
So now he is a "potential cancer?"

So what were the character issues that you speak of?

Was it the spat that he had with Philip Rivers? And if so, please provide proof that you backed Rivers on this at the time if you really thought it was Cutler's fault.

Was it that he said his arm was stronger than Elway's?

I'm dying to know what tipped you off, oh great Nostradamus!

Or are you just toeing your "party's" line with after-the-fact assumptions?
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #24
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I was ok with the Portis trade, but am not a fan of the Cutler trade.

I think I remember having reservations as soon as it happened, but then I warmed up to it quickly.
Good thing we didn't bet.

I do think the majority of the posters that hated the Portis trade will hate the Cutler trade, you are the exception.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #25
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,978
Default

The two trades were nothing alike. As has already been pointed out by the people that aren't idiots, there are two major differences here:

1. Running backs are both easier to find and less important than QBs. Two years after moving Portis we led the league in rushing and went to the AFC title game.

2. In return for Portis, we got a player of greater talent. It was a move that immediately improved one area of our team. The Cutler trade has not given us anything proven in return.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Denver Broncos