The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
KansasBronco
Pro Bowler

Default ESPN On the Clock Broncos

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...r-Broncos.html
KansasBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Why does everyone seem to think that we're going to replace Cutler by drafting Sanchez? Like it can just be assumed that he can step in and replace Cutler. It takes QB time to develop and he's a junior at that. Who has that kind of time? The FO owes it to the vets like Champ and Dawkins to try to fix other areas more immediately and rely on the Orton/Simms. Not only that but they owe it to the fans.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Why does everyone seem to think that we're going to replace Cutler by drafting Sanchez? Like it can just be assumed that he can step in and replace Cutler. It takes QB time to develop and he's a junior at that. Who has that kind of time? The FO owes it to the vets like Champ and Dawkins to try to fix other areas more immediately and rely on the Orton/Simms. Not only that but they owe it to the fans.
I havn't watched the clip yet, but why bother? essspin doesn't do their homework on the Broncos and they didn't do their homework on McD. McD is gonna take a QB, but not on the first day.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
brother love
Pro Bowler

Denver was the only team not at USC's pro day!
brother love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Beanie Wells? At the OSU website, they're comparing him to Jim Brown.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother love View Post
Denver and Houston were both absent.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Lex,

I agree...drafting a quarterback early would be a complete waste....so why get a first round pick for a first round QB...the trade would be a complete failure
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother love View Post
Looks like 2 of those picks tested positive for steriods. The only reason for the Broncos to be there is if they wanted to know about some later round picks. In reality, everything you really need to know about the guys being considered in the first round are already known.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Everyone wants the Broncos to get a QB. I agree with some here: wait til next year for a QB, and do the D this year. I am not convinced that either Simms or Orton will not do pretty well with the O the Broncos have right now. I also think Well is on the "WANT LIST" for the Broncos, so I would not be surprised to see him get picked at 12. But the D line should get a lot of attention.

Everyone seems to have an opinion on what the Broncos should do. I wonder what McD's opinion really is. This morning, an article in the Post says he think the D needs improvement, and so does the O. Wouldn't it be interesting to be in the conference room with the coaches?
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

That was a pretty retarded article.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
mikeauran
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

All I know is if they do draft a Qb, he better be Matt Ryan NFL ready.
Evidently around here if a college QB has not progressed to the level of winning playoff games in 2 1/2 years he is nothing but a complete and utter loser who will never amount to jack in the NFL.
mikeauran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #12
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeauran View Post
All I know is if they do draft a Qb, he better be Matt Ryan NFL ready.
Evidently around here if a college QB has not progressed to the level of winning playoff games in 2 1/2 years he is nothing but a complete and utter loser who will never amount to jack in the NFL.
you amassed all that wisdom in the 11 posts that youve made here in the 2 years youve been a member
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
That's a reasonable assessment. Perhaps they pickup a QB they are high on to develop longer term with one of the third rounders. First 4 guys need to be Defense.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #14
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Are Stafford and Sanchez the only 2 QBs in the pool this year? I have heard that Freeman has some moxie and skills. Are there no others? It seems to me that there are a lot of guys that play the position in colleges around the country, but need better or more coaching or training in techniques. The Pats' backup, (I forget his name, not Cassel) I never heard of, but he is considered to be a comer?

I think there are a few who may need some work, but could be pretty good in the right system. Freeman in the 4th, anyone? Anyone?
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #15
Majik
Man7

On Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
Lex,

I agree...drafting a quarterback early would be a complete waste....so why get a first round pick for a first round QB...the trade would be a complete failure
Not if Sanchez is (and turns out to be) the franchise QB Mcdaniels wants.
Franchise QB + 5th rounder for Franchise QB + 1st rounder and 3rd rounder.
yeah complete failure

I don't want Sanchez and i hope we don't draft any QB till the later rounds, but I'm not gonna proclaim anything a failure until I see on field production(or failure).

In McDaniel I trust.
Majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #16
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Scout.com has us trading both of our picks to Kansas City of all places, to draft Mark Sanchez 3rd overall.

We'd take Sanchez, maybe, MAYBE if he drops to 12. There is zero chance that we trade up to get him.

Bill Williamson should never be taken seriously, ever.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #17
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

A Raji-Jackson first round would make me feel a lot better about this regime.

Build the lines first guys! Don't give into temptation with skill players this year in round 1.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Are Stafford and Sanchez the only 2 QBs in the pool this year? I have heard that Freeman has some moxie and skills. Are there no others? It seems to me that there are a lot of guys that play the position in colleges around the country, but need better or more coaching or training in techniques. The Pats' backup, (I forget his name, not Cassel) I never heard of, but he is considered to be a comer?

I think there are a few who may need some work, but could be pretty good in the right system. Freeman in the 4th, anyone? Anyone?
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Freeman go in the first, as QB starved as this draft is.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #19
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
A Raji-Jackson first round would make me feel a lot better about this regime.

Build the lines first guys! Don't give into temptation with skill players this year in round 1.
I'd probably injure myself attempting to do back flips if they drafted those two...
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #20
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:

I think it's Kevin McConnell or Connell that's the Pat's backup.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #21
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
so why get a first round pick for a first round QB
We need to grab someone who can put pressure on opposing quarterbacks. Someone on defense who is deemed first round material should do the trick...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #22
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Everyone wants the Broncos to get a QB. I agree with some here: wait til next year for a QB, and do the D this year. I am not convinced that either Simms or Orton will not do pretty well with the O the Broncos have right now. I also think Well is on the "WANT LIST" for the Broncos, so I would not be surprised to see him get picked at 12. But the D line should get a lot of attention.
I 100% agree with you. I want to see if McD can really turn lemons (Simms, Orton) in to lemonade (Cassel.) Lets concertrate on D this year. I think we get Raji at #12 if available or else we get an OLB. Get Jenkins at #18. Trade our 2nd rd pick to Arizona for DT Gabe Watson. And the 2 3rds we go for best available on D (S, OLB, and DE would be logical.) Obviously if Wells is available at #18, not #12, we think twice about Jenkins. Beanie would be great in our system. We do need a potential replacement for Champ though...and we are very thin at CB. Vontae Davis may slip to 2nd rd now though with positive test...so he would be an option. I still want Watson though, so trading the for a 2 would be good. I would love the first day if it was:
1. OLB Arron Maybin, OLB Brian Orakpo, OLB, OLB Brian Cushing, DE Tyson Jackson
1a. CB Malcolm Jenkins, CB Vontae Davis, OLB James Laurinaitis, OLB Robert Ayers
2. NT Gabe Watson (Trade with Arizona)
3. Best available S or CB
3. Best available DE or OLB

Free Agents
1. WR Torry Holt, WR Reggie Williams, WR Jerry Porter
- We need a 1 year insurance policy if B Marsh gets suspended.
2. OG Pete Kendall
- We need quality depth at OG in case something happens to Hamilton.
3. DE Vonnie Holiday
- A run stuffing DE would be a huge upgrade over what we have now.
4. OLB Derrick Brooks or OLB Marcus Washington
- I would like to see a vet at LB for a year or 2 to groom the young guys and provide leadership.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #23
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I keep reading about people saying that "McDaniels loves USC quarterbacks so he's sure to try and go after Sanchez."

I'm sorry but since when does McDaniels loves USC quarterbacks? Since he coached Cassel? Does that mean he loves Michigan quarterbacks too? He liked Cassel because he was a good QB, not because he was a USC quarterback.

Personally I'm actually someone who likes Sanchez, but it's in spite of his USC ties, not because of them. Judging from the Broncos' absence from their pro-day, I think we'll take a later round developmental guy.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #24
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

That was awful. I will lose it if we draft a QB on the first day.
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #25
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I keep reading about people saying that "McDaniels loves USC quarterbacks so he's sure to try and go after Sanchez."

I'm sorry but since when does McDaniels loves USC quarterbacks? Since he coached Cassel? Does that mean he loves Michigan quarterbacks too? He liked Cassel because he was a good QB, not because he was a USC quarterback.

Personally I'm actually someone who likes Sanchez, but it's in spite of his USC ties, not because of them. Judging from the Broncos' absence from their pro-day, I think we'll take a later round developmental guy.
Not only that but it wasnt a certainty that the Patriots were going to stick with Cassel when Brady went down. They actually brought guys in so there was some uncertainty about what they had. Maybe it was McDaniels who knew what they had and lobbied for Cassel over bringing someone else in. We may never know. But the very fact that there was some uncertainty kind of says what a bottom line business it is. And with that in mind, it doesnt really matter if he went to USC, unless of course he went to USC means he had something to work with. More than an allegiance to USC or Michigan, the bigger point is that both Brady and Cassel were low round picks. If McDaniels can make it work with Simms or Orton and then develops a low round pick, he should go a long way in validating his acumen in the eyes of those who dislike him, provided he uses picks to improve the running game and defense.