The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default In a "Do Over" Scenaro...

If Pat Bowlen could turn back time by several months, do you think he makes a different decision about a head coach, in hopes of avoiding the collossal Jay-vs.-Josh head-butting catastrophe that's followed?

Or would Bowlen choose McD all over again, essentially accepting that Jay Cutler doesn't have the head on his shoulders to be a winning quarterbck?

Seems to me that-- understanding what we've come to know about Jay-- that Jay just had to go. Unfortunate, but necessary.

Thoughts?
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Bowlen is the guy who said at his press conference after firing Mike Shanahan that "Cutler was the man around here now" and that the Goodmans wouldn't be fired.

Since then Cutler is the man in Chicago and the Goodmans have been let go.

I don't know if he'd change his decision about McDaniels, but Bowlen better hope that McDaniels and Xanders have a clue about the next two drafts.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Not just Bowlen but every Bronco fan would want a "do over". McDaniels would want one too, but not Cutler he got his wish.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Shanahan as well.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Double thread. I need to repost my comments in each thread.

Shanahan as well.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
Shanahan as well.
Don't you wish Shanahan would have swallowed his pride and let someone come in to fix the defense?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

naw i dont think Bowlen would want a do over .......I dont think Bowlen went into this half assed without knowing how deep the water was .......
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Another "Do over"... we go all the way back to the 2006 draft, don't trade up to #15 with Atlanta (prior to the trade up with St Louis) and keep the 2 #1's we had, take some defense players there and with the extra 3rd that we had to part with.

Yet Another "Do over"...we go all the way back to 1999 and Bubby Brister starts the season...

etc etc
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
naw i dont think Bowlen would want a do over .......I dont think Bowlen went into this half assed without knowing how deep the water was .......
That's it.
Bowlen knew exactly what Jay's issues were....immaturity, pouty, self-interest, leadership issues...etc.
There's a good reason why he was willing to let his QB go and back his young HC. The owner wasn't sold on him.....and without Bates and Shanny to shelter and coddle Jay, he understood that conflict was inevitable.

Better now than during training camp......imagine the drama of a hissy fit and hold-out just before the season begins.
This way, Denver makes out with a haul of draft picks and a QB capable of starting........and one with a 'team' attitude.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

No way.

In fact, I'd bet Bowlen is more confident about his decision now than he was when he did it. Bowlen didn't get where he is in life by being too chicken-**** to take chances.

Will this work out? Maybe, maybe not... but no businessman reaps rewards without taking on risk, and Bowlen has been doing this long enough to know when that's necessary.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

if he fully understand the type of person that cutler was back then, no. but cutlers true colors came out during this whole ordeal, and it is pretty clear what bowlen thinks of that.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

All the people who said Bowlen knew about Jay's shortcomings are right. Too many people here think everyone learns everything through the press and no one knows about it until it's reported. Bowlen, McDaniels, Shanahan, etc. all knew Jay was immature, just because the Denver Post or Rocky reported it doesn't make it any less true. It wasn't breaking news when Josina Anderson wrote that there might have been issues with Jay's drinking because I'm sure I wasn't the only one on this board who has seen Jay drinking by himself on multiple occasions in downtown Denver. Montrose posted the recap of Lynch's interview in San Diego, where he called Jay a moody loner that Shanahan let do whatever he wanted.

I don't think Bowlen regrets either firing Shanahan or trading Jay one bit at this point. Might be awhile before Denver sniffs a playoff appearance, but he'll live.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
All the people who said Bowlen knew about Jay's shortcomings are right. Too many people here think everyone learns everything through the press and no one knows about it until it's reported. Bowlen, McDaniels, Shanahan, etc. all knew Jay was immature, just because the Denver Post or Rocky reported it doesn't make it any less true. It wasn't breaking news when Josina Anderson wrote that there might have been issues with Jay's drinking because I'm sure I wasn't the only one on this board who has seen Jay drinking by himself on multiple occasions in downtown Denver. Montrose posted the recap of Lynch's interview in San Diego, where he called Jay a moody loner that Shanahan let do whatever he wanted.

I don't think Bowlen regrets either firing Shanahan or trading Jay one bit at this point. Might be awhile before Denver sniffs a playoff appearance, but he'll live.
really? thats crazy
Old 04-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

If I was to construct a do-over, Shanahan would walk into Bowlen's office and say, "I suck at this GM stuff. I just want to go back to being a HC. Let's bring in the best GM we can find, somebody who can get me a good DC and build me up a defense. I'll take care of the xs and os."
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Don't you wish Shanahan would have swallowed his pride and let someone come in to fix the defense?
Shanny already tried to do that. That "someone" was Jim Bates...let him have the players he wanted (Moss, Crowder, Thomas), and it didnt work.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Shanny already tried to do that. That "someone" was Jim Bates...let him have the players he wanted (Moss, Crowder, Thomas), and it didnt work.
he did only get one year...and bates was still better than slowik.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #17
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Captain Dre, you can delete one of your double posts by clicking the "edit" button and click the "delete message" button.

As for your question, the first scenario assumes that Bowlen is frustrated with McDaniel's handling of Cutler. He might have seen this as a blessing in disguise. Cutler showed he had the attitude of being "above the team".
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #18
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

If there's anything they do over, it's that they follow through on the initial trade for Cassel.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #19
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
beyond that, I wish Hillis hadn't of injured himself on that freak play. Hillis stays healthy, Broncos make the playoffs, Shanahan is still the coach, and Cutler is getting ready to throw for 4k and 30 tds next year while the defense is being improved.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #20
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
beyond that, I wish Hillis hadn't of injured himself on that freak play. Hillis stays healthy, Broncos make the playoffs, Shanahan is still the coach, and Cutler is getting ready to throw for 4k and 30 tds next year while the defense is being improved.
sweet .. but the defense improving is a reach
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #21
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
he did only get one year...and bates was still better than slowik.
He didn't even get a year. Slowik took over about halfway through 07 IIRC.
Florida_Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #22
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yes, I do. I think one more year under Shanahan would have been fair but his defensive inabilities obviously really hurt the Broncos.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #23
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
Yes, I do. I think one more year under Shanahan would have been fair but his defensive inabilities obviously really hurt the Broncos.
defensive inabilities? It's like all of you exist in a vacuum where Shanahan didn't put together two championship teams, as well as a 2005/06 AFC title game run.

He was building a team from the ground up, and since he is an offensive coach, he started with the offense while letting the defense sit tight until he could get a new QB, O-line, RB's, TE's, etc.

He thought he would have the time to take advantage of the cap space his planning had perfectly put him in position for. He was wrong and Bowlen jumped the gun.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #24
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
defensive inabilities? It's like all of you exist in a vacuum where Shanahan didn't put together two championship teams, as well as a 2005/06 AFC title game run.

He was building a team from the ground up, and since he is an offensive coach, he started with the offense while letting the defense sit tight until he could get a new QB, O-line, RB's, TE's, etc.

He thought he would have the time to take advantage of the cap space his planning had perfectly put him in position for. He was wrong and Bowlen jumped the gun.
You know Shanny personally and he shared his plans with you??

Sh*t, you could have told Bowlen.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #25
Breaker
Bleeding Orange and Blue

1. Hire Scott Pioli
2. Hire Steve Spagnulo
3. Promote Jeremy Bates to Offensive Coordinator
4. Kick Bob in the nuts
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote