The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default 3 Cops killed in Pittsburgh

All I can say is WOW

3 officers killed in Pittsburgh shooting

PITTSBURGH (AP) — A man opened fire on officers during a domestic disturbance call Saturday morning, killing three of them, a police official said. Friends said he recently had been upset about losing his job and that he feared the Obama administration was poised to ban guns.

Neighbors described how a quiet street in the city's Stanton Heights neighborhood turned into a battlefield with hundreds of rounds cracking through the morning air and fallen police officers lying bleeding in the street, their colleagues unable to reach them.

Three officers were killed, said a police official at the scene who spoke on condition of anonymity because was not authorized to talk to the media. Police spokeswoman Diane Richard would only say that at least five officers were wounded, but wouldn't give any other details.

Friends identified the suspect as Richard Poplawski, 23, but police would not immediately confirm his name. The gunman was arrested after a four-hour standoff, police said.

The shooting occurred just two weeks after four police officers were fatally shot March 21 in Oakland, Calif., in the deadliest day for U.S. law enforcement since Sept. 11, 2001. The officers were the first Pittsburgh city officers to die in the line of duty in 18 years.

Neighbors said the shooting began at about 7 a.m. and that two officers were shot almost immediately.

"When I looked down I saw two police officers laying in the street," said Don Sand, who lives across the street and was awoken by the sound of gunfire.

A short time later, more officers, SWAT teams and other law enforcement arrived and a third officer was shot, Sand said.

"They couldn't get the scene secure enough to get to them. They were just lying there bleeding," Sand said. "By the time they secured the scene enough to get to them it was way too late."

Gail Moschetti, who lives diagonally across the street from the Poplawski house, said she heard hundreds of shots as she and her husband took refuge in their basement. Tom Moffitt, 51, a city firefighter who lives two blocks away, said he came to the scene and heard "hundreds, just hundreds of shots."

Police planned to release more details at a mid-afternoon news conference Saturday.

Edward Perkovic said Poplawski, his best friend, feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon." Another longtime friend, Aaron Vire, said Poplawski feared that President Barack Obama was going to take away his rights, though he said he "wasn't violently against Obama."

Perkovic, 22, said he got a call at work from him in which he said, "Eddie, I am going to die today. ... Tell your family I love them and I love you."

Perkovic said: "I heard gunshots and he hung up. ... He sounded like he was in pain, like he got shot."

Vire, 23, said Poplawski once had an Internet talk show but that it wasn't successful. Vire said Poplawski had an AK-47 rifle and several powerful handguns, including a .357 Magnum.

Another friend, Joe DiMarco, said Poplawski had been laid off from his job at a glass factory earlier this year. DiMarco said he didn't know the name of the company, but knew his friend had been upset about losing his job.

The last Pittsburgh police officers killed in the line of duty were Officers Thomas L. Herron and Joseph J. Grill, according to a Web site that tracks police killings. They died after their patrol car collided with another vehicle while chasing a stolen car on March 6, 1991.

According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, 133 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty in 2008, a 27 percent decrease from year before and the lowest annual total since 1960.

Poplawski had often fought with neighbors and had even gotten into fistfights with a couple, Sand said.

"This is a relatively really quiet neighborhood except for him," Sand said. "He was just one of those kids that we knew to stay clear from."

Rob Gift, 45, who lives a block away, said the well-kept single-family houses with manicured lawns are home to many police officers, firefighters, paramedics and other city workers.

"It's just a very quiet neighborhood," Gift said.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

queue the moron crew...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I found it funny that the thread starters name is Gunns.

But cops dying is never, thats to bad.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

where in the hell is certain Baltimore cop that doesnt like being called dude and a certain Dallas Cop when you need them ?
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Dick Cheney with alot of botox ?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

So in order to protect his second amendment rights, he shot and killed our defenders of society.

Remind me how wonderful the second amendment is and how we should be so proud of it.....
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
I found it funny that the thread starters name is Gunns.

But cops dying is never, thats to bad.
Anyone dying is never funny. And the gunns is in reference to Elways arms.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
So in order to protect his second amendment rights, he shot and killed our defenders of society.

Remind me how wonderful the second amendment is and how we should be so proud of it.....
You just won't quit will you?

Give it up already.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Am not making fun of your name just the two didn't go together.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Ten posts in and nobody's blamed Obama yet?
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Damn here I always thought it was a nick name for your boobs.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

What a sad month for law enforcement.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
19Morton77
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Dont make it political. Guns save people everyday by using it as protection. The irony of the story is that he just lost his right to bear arms forever. Obama didnt have to sign one iota of legislature to relief him of his "god given" right. A young, stupid radical. Every group has them but this one went to the extreme.
19Morton77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Morton77 View Post
Dont make it political. Guns save people everyday by using it as protection. The irony of the story is that he just lost his right to bear arms forever. Obama didnt have to sign one iota of legislature to relief him of his "god given" right. A young, stupid radical. Every group has them but this one went to the extreme.
The entire shooting was political ........ But it and the old folks home , Malls , School shootings , Drive bys etc ........ Make a good argument for gun control.And no Guns dont save people everyday , I like to know where you got that
Old 04-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #15
Bronco Bob
Tastee Freeze

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Ten posts in and nobody's blamed Obama yet?
The guy that shot the cops already did.

Quote:
Edward Perkovic said Poplawski, his best friend, feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon."
Another longtime friend, Aaron Vire, said Poplawski feared that President Barack Obama was going to take away his rights, though he said he
"wasn't violently against Obama."
Bronco Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Honestly if not for guns cops would make what? maybe 20 grand less a yr. it's the fact you can get killed that makes it so dangerous.

Still don't more cops get killed in traffic collisions then by bullets?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
What a sad month for law enforcement.
It really goes back further then a month. It's been a bad yr so far for police. From getting shot, to shooting the wrong people.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Honestly if not for guns cops would make what? maybe 20 grand less a yr. it's the fact you can get killed that makes it so dangerous.

Still don't more cops get killed in traffic collisions then by bullets?
good question ....... I dont know ........ living where I do and the job i have ,i have seen some Troopers cruisers get totaled , mainly winter time ......
Old 04-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #19
19Morton77
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
The entire shooting was political ........ But it and the old folks home , Malls , School shootings , Drive bys etc ........ Make a good argument for gun control.And no Guns dont save people everyday , I like to know where you got that
guns are used as a deterent at least 2 million times a year. Divide that by 365 days and see the number you get. Make it just 100000 times in a year and you get 275 times a day. Attempted burglary, robbery, mugging, etc happens every minute of the day. You dont think at least one of those is stopped by someone with a gun for protection? Get real. Even places that have concealed weapons laws lax for ordinary citizens have shown that crime goes down as the criminal has at least enough sense to know that one public bystander is packing. You can go ahead and add another 10k laws to stop citizens from owning guns. You let me know when the criminals will turn in theirs. I guess if they offer a couple of Raider tickets to a home game then they will be racing down to the police station to obey the law.
19Morton77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #20
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Morton77 View Post
guns are used as a deterent at least 2 million times a year. Divide that by 365 days and see the number you get. Make it just 100000 times in a year and you get 275 times a day. Attempted burglary, robbery, mugging, etc happens every minute of the day. You dont think at least one of those is stopped by someone with a gun for protection? Get real. Even places that have concealed weapons laws lax for ordinary citizens have shown that crime goes down as the criminal has at least enough sense to know that one public bystander is packing. You can go ahead and add another 10k laws to stop citizens from owning guns. You let me know when the criminals will turn in theirs. I guess if they offer a couple of Raider tickets to a home game then they will be racing down to the police station to obey the law.
dont tell me what you think , show me proof, never mind the fact that if Guns did work you wouldnt have these crimes happening ......Show me where Guns stop these crimes ......or saved Millins of lives every day ......
Old 04-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #21
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
good question ....... I dont know ........ living where I do and the job i have ,i have seen some Troopers cruisers get totaled , mainly winter time ......
As bad as cop getting shot is, I think it get's sensationalized and then police agencies use it to say more money for the budget.

I sometimes wonder if maybe some better training driving the cars, safer cars, new rules to high speed chases, wouldn't save more police lives then a bun on guns.

Still domestic disturbance calls are a cops most hated job for a reason. It's just not safe walking up with holstered guns into an environment where someone is out of there minds with rage or anger. It's probably the most unpredictable situation cops have to do on a regular basis.

If I was a cop I would try to get into anything but patrol officer. How often do you hear of a detective getting shot? not very often.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #23
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:

Because every dictatorship, authoritarian rule, and communist society bans guns to prevent uprising. It was put into our Constitution by our founding fathers because they knew it would help prevent political takeover down the road. The government is supposed to fear the people in our society, not the other way around. Once the people as a whole fear the government, the government owns you.

As Joseph Stalin said, "We don't let people have guns, so why should we let them have ideas."

Basically, meaning no guns, and no free thinking (aka fairness doctrine).

As for what happened here. The guy was obviously had mental issues. Besides once you take away guns from the honest folk, criminals will still get their hands on them via smuggling unless we instituted mass capital punishment to prevent it... again like dictatorships and communist societies.

Last edited by UberBroncoMan; 04-04-2009 at 05:26 PM..
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #24
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Because every dictatorship, authoritarian rule, and communist society bans guns to prevent uprising. It was put into our Constitution by our founding fathers because they knew it would help prevent political takeover down the road. The government is supposed to fear the people in our society, not the other way around. Once the people as a whole fear the government, the government owns you.

As Joseph Stalin said, "We don't let people have guns, so why should we let them have ideas."

As for what happened here. The guy was obviously had mental issues. Besides once you take away guns from the honest folk, criminals will still get their hands on them via smuggling unless we instituted mass capital punishment to prevent it... again like dictatorships and communist societies.
I see so if we dont have guns we dont have Ideas .......... Amazing what you learn on line isnt it .......
Old 04-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #25
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post

Wow.

First off, many free nations have bans on guns. I believe even most police don't carry guns in England. I would hardly call them a dictatorship or a communist society, but whatever.

Second, if you believe that the Constitution is a "living breathing document", then one should believe that it does provide gun rights to its citizens. That is my belief. But the irony is outstanding for the average person on the Right who believe that the ''living breathing document'' is some librul b.s. but then use just that to justify their pet cause.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote