The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
p7superfly
CHAMP IS THE TRUTH.

Born bleeding Orange & Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
KNOWSHON
Default Would you be pissed if Denver goes offense in r1?

It's possible that we didn't attend the USC pro day, and are hyping Orton for the same reason ... smoke screen.

We might really want Sanchez. Seattle might take him at 4, or SF at 10, or a team might trade w/ the Bills to jump us ...

But would you be upset if the Broncos ended up going BPE and grabbed Sanchez, or Crabtree if they slip ... then at 18 grabbed Beanie Wells?

I think I'd be okay with it. For some reason, all of NFLN thinks the Broncos should mortgage a lot for Sanchez. If he falls, great.

Thoughts? Would we flip out of we ended up with Sanchez or Crabtree, and the best RB in the draft? Our offense would be set for a decade - assuming you believe in Sanchez. I don't know enough.
p7superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
fido
Perennial Pro-bowler

no....defense
fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I would be fine with it. If a offensive guy has more value to the team then a defensive guy with a certain pick, you take him. I like alot of second-third round defensive guys almost as much as most of the 1st rounders, so I would wait till the first 3 rounds are over before freaking out.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

yes
I dont want any part of Sanchez
and RBs are not durable enough to warrant top picks unless they are like Adrian Peterson or Tomlinson

We need defense, defense, and more defense
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7superfly View Post
It's possible that we didn't attend the USC pro day, and are hyping Orton for the same reason ... smoke screen.

We might really want Sanchez. Seattle might take him at 4, or SF at 10, or a team might trade w/ the Bills to jump us ...

But would you be upset if the Broncos ended up going BPE and grabbed Sanchez, or Crabtree if they slip ... then at 18 grabbed Beanie Wells?

I think I'd be okay with it. For some reason, all of NFLN thinks the Broncos should mortgage a lot for Sanchez. If he falls, great.

Thoughts? Would we flip out of we ended up with Sanchez or Crabtree, and the best RB in the draft? Our offense would be set for a decade - assuming you believe in Sanchez. I don't know enough.

We just lost our biggest offensive weapon. For our offense to continue to click and even improve, we need to upgrade the running game. And really, we should have been doing that anyway. We were way too pass happy last year. We should take Wells at 12 and then either Mack, Jackson, or a LB with our next pick. Raji is too much of a risk and may not even be a true two gapper.

But as far as Sanchez goes, its not likely he's going to start this year so we should really avoid taking a QB in the first. Not onlyt that, but taking a QB there means we didnt really gain anything by trading Cutler. QBs take time to develop and we need to be sensible with how we get things on track. Pats sending out letters to fans, so obviously there is concern about fan unrest. Making us endure a rookie QB go through a learning curve undermines that concern.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I'd rather trade down and stockpile picks.

If Sanchez is available at 8 or 9 I wouldn't be mad if we jumped up and grabbed him. Any higher or packaging both #1's no thanks.

As far as Crabtree I'd be ok with it if he's there at 12 but, not trade up.

RB at 12 or 18 wouldn't bother me if he is clearly BPA but, I think we can address it at 48.

With our new FO anything is possible.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 04-04-2009 at 01:18 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
p7superfly
CHAMP IS THE TRUTH.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
KNOWSHON

The more I think about it, the more I'd be cool with Crabtree, Wells and Brace.

Mayock has Crabtree falling out of the top 10 to Maclin and Heyward-Bey. If he's there at 12, how can you not pounce? Before his foot injury, he might have been the #1 pick in the draft ...

And if Wells slides to 18? Nab him. Use all the other picks on defense, including next year.

If we played our cards right, we could get Cody and our next QB franchise in next year's draft.

I just don't think we'll be able to make a significant difference with a new scheme, mish-mash, mismatched personnel in a single year to just say, "We have to go defense, no matter what..." We need D-Linemen, but there aren't many to be had.

I think since we're re-building, we should go best player available. Even if its offense.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I'd be cool with Crabtree, Wells and Brace.

Mayock has Crabtree falling out of the top 10 to Maclin and Heyward-Bey. If he's there at 12, how can you not pounce? Before his foot injury, he might have been the #1 pick in the draft ...

And if Wells slides to 18? Nab him. Use all the other picks on defense, including next year.

If we played our cards right, we could get Cody and our next QB franchise in next year's draft.

I just don't think we'll be able to make a significant difference with a new scheme, mish-mash, mismatched personnel in a single year to just say, "We have to go defense, no matter what..." We need D-Linemen, but there aren't many to be had.

I think since we're re-building, we should go best player available. Even if its offense.
Because we already have Marshall and Royal. And Im not even so sure he wont be a bust.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i would gladly take Wells at 12.

i say no to Sanchez and Crabtree though. i would rather pick up extra picks trading back for a team that wants either of these guys if they slip to 12
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
p7superfly
CHAMP IS THE TRUTH.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
KNOWSHON

I'm worried about Marshall's hand. He really hurt himself, and I think it's permanent damage. That hand will be partially numb forever. It explains many of his drops on quicker passes.

McD loves a blocking TE (Graham), three WR (Marshall, Royal and Crabtree would strike fear into the hearts ...) a versatile, powerful, good blocking RB (Buckhalter, Arrington, Hillis, BEANIE?!) for his pick routes.

I say you risk the bust. I'm officially on the "I hope Crabtree falls to us" bandwagon. That would be insane.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I am fine with using one of our first round picks on an impact offensive player....we just lost our best offensive weapon.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Yes I would flip out, but if it was Beanie or Knowshon with the 18th pick I would probably warm up to it after a few hours of Hulk smashing.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #13
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

I think they take Wells, so no I wouldn't be pissed.

I'll be pissed if they move up for Sanchez. If Denver loved Sanchez as much as some claim, Cutler would be in Detroit now and Denver would have the 1st overall.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #14
Paladin
Ring of Famer

If Sanchez or Crabtree are there at 12, I could see a trade getting a 19 or 21 pick with a two or three pick kicker. Not bad. Getting a DE or LB and Brace seems to me to be priorities. After that, I leave it to the more obsessive members of our ensemble here to guide me to the promised land with championships galore. Well, maybe.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Yes I will go ballistic. I will have my meltdown time. Probably need the paper bag for hyperventilation. Until we focus on that defense it doesn't matter who we put behind center. It was the Broncos downfall last year and Shanahans.

If we were to take Crabtree I would probably really lose it. DO NOT TAKE A WR IN THE FIRST ROUND. I do not care who it is. WR's are a dime a dozen.

Last edited by gunns; 04-04-2009 at 02:18 PM..
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Don't be eating or drinking anything when the Broncos' pick comes up.....

(Here at CBS, we care.......)
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #17
TheDave
Sauced...

Speaking of Offense... Have we resigned Wiegman?

I have an odd suspicion that we might go after Mack or Unger. I think McDaniels might want a little more size in the middle.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #18
meangene
Ring of Famer

I would not have a problem with it at all. In fact, I fully expect us to take a RB and WR in the first three rounds. I think one of the main reasons we were so poor in turning offensive yardage into points was the lack of an effective running game. It has been some time since we had a franchise back. A more balanced attack leads to ball control and can help mask a lot of defensive deficiencies. Talented as Marshall is, we don't know how much time he will miss if suspended - could well be half the year. He is coming off a serious hand injury followed by hip surgery and has not demonstrated he can keep himself out of trouble. We still have plenty of picks with which to fill defensive needs.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #19
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
I would not have a problem with it at all. In fact, I fully expect us to take a RB and WR in the first three rounds. I think one of the main reasons we were so poor in turning offensive yardage into points was the lack of an effective running game. It has been some time since we had a franchise back. A more balanced attack leads to ball control and can help mask a lot of defensive deficiencies. Talented as Marshall is, we don't know how much time he will miss if suspended - could well be half the year. He is coming off a serious hand injury followed by hip surgery and has not demonstrated he can keep himself out of trouble. We still have plenty of picks with which to fill defensive needs.
I think Thomas is slotted to go in the 4th or 5th. elsid has been big on him. I like Barden but it seems like elsid's guy might be better for the spread.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #20
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
I think Thomas is slotted to go in the 4th or 5th. elsid has been big on him. I like Barden but it seems like elsid's guy might be better for the spread.
My guy is Robiskie. I think he is the most NFL ready and we need someone who can step in right away. I also think we need to be looking at outside guys since Stokely and Royal can both play in the slot. Patrick Turner and Derrick Williams might be some nice picks a little later. I was real high on Brandon Tate of UNC before he got hurt.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #21
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Pissed would not even begin to describe it !!!
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #22
Drek
Ring of Famer

If Crabtree slid to #12 we'd be foolish not to take him. He might bust but then so could anyone else, he also might be the next Larry Fitzgerald where Marshall gets to play Anquan Boldin 2.0. Adding Eddie Royal to the slot was a Wes Welker type in McDaniels's offense and we'd tear teams apart.

You just can't pass up that kind of value.

I don't like the idea of trading up unless we're grabbing Aaron Curry, and even then I'd be iffy on moving both firsts to do it. One of the thirds? Sure. Our 2nd? Probably. But not both firsts and even if we did move up for him I'd then want to trade back on the other first to add more picks.

But for offensive players in general, if Crabtree is at #12 you got to do it. If Wells is at #18 I think you have to as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Speaking of Offense... Have we resigned Wiegman?

I have an odd suspicion that we might go after Mack or Unger. I think McDaniels might want a little more size in the middle.
I'm expecting us to grab Eric Wood, probably with our first 3rd. He's the second best OC in this class at handling big powerful DLs (like 3-4 NTs) behind Mack and he'll come at a much lower price. Weigmann will be retained, his agent seemed pretty sure they'd work something out, but he's only got another year or two left in him. Wood will be a perfect replacement.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #23
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I wouldn't mind Moreno or Wells at number 18 or Crabtree at number 12, other than those 3 I don't really see good value.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #24
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

McDaniels said on Dave Logans show that they will take whatever player that fills a need first and he said that it does'nt mean they will not take offense because that needs to improve as well.
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #25
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:

I would shyt myself if we got Crabtree
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: