The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Just say no to Raji.

OK, I know theres an edict to win sooner rather than later. But at the same time, just because we need a NT, that doesnt we need Raji. If Raji cant even pass a urinalysis test, then he enters the league with one strike against him. I was willing to look past the one year suspension due to some confusion about coursework requirements but this is just too much to ignore. Not only that but there are those with credible knowledge (eg Pat Kirwan) who think that he's not even really a pure NT.

Has anyone else turned cold on Raji, even if he's available at 12?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

I don't know if you can compare him to Warren Sapp who was the potential #1 pick, then some said he would drop out of the top 5, and he ended up a steal at # 12.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
OK, I know theres an edict to win sooner rather than later. But at the same time, just because we need a NT, that doesnt we need Raji. If Raji cant even pass a urinalysis test, then he enters the league with one strike against him. I was willing to look past the one year suspension due to some confusion about coursework requirements but this is just too much to ignore. Not only that but there are those with credible knowledge (eg Pat Kirwan) who think that he's not even really a pure NT.

i have never been hot on him. at NT i would prefer his teammate Brace.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If he's there at 12 you take him. Whoopi -****in- doo he tested positive for weed.
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post

Kirwan is far from the first person to say Raji isn't a pure 3-4 NT.

Hell, I said it on this very forum probably about two months ago.

But taking that statement as a generalization ignores what Raji is, a perfect hybrid NT.

He's very comparable to Haloti Ngata, who went at #14 if I recall the year we drafted Cutler. I had actually been hoping we traded up for Ngata as I thought a dominant NT in our 4-3 front was the missing piece we needed to move our defense into the next generation.

Ngata plays 3-4 NT when needed in Baltimore, and does it better than all but a handful of other players in this league. But when Baltimore wants to go 4-3 and get some extra size in the lineup Ngata can move off heads up from center even into a penetrating pass rusher role and still be productive.

Raji is that kind of talent. If we're going to run a straight 3-4 then we don't need him and he'd be an overpay at #12. But if we want to run a hybrid D (and I think Nolan just might) then Raji is the kind of X factor you want to put in the middle of your line. Supposed positive piss test for weed or not.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Raji is the perfect nose tackle. I think he would be great in either the 3-4 or 4-3. He is so strong that he cann't be moved off the line without a double team. He would make it tough for any team to run up the middle. I think the Broncos need to put a moral cause in contract that divides his bonus money into different years and must stay clean in order to collect his bonus.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway777 View Post
Raji is the perfect nose tackle. I think he would be great in either the 3-4 or 4-3. He is so strong that he cann't be moved off the line without a double team. He would make it tough for any team to run up the middle. I think the Broncos need to put a moral cause in contract that divides his bonus money into different years and must stay clean in order to collect his bonus.
Im not sure youre understanding that Raji knew he woudl have to take a piss test at the combine. He also knew he had a lot riding on the combine including that piss test. If he couldnt manage to pass the piss test under those circumstances, what makes you think he will manage to make it through a couple of seasons. Also, know that if he failed a piss test at the combine, he already has one strike against him.

I know he's a good player. Ive been a proponent of his up until now. In fact, in one of my mocks a while back I had us taking Raji at 12 and Brace at 48 in acknowlegement of his versatility. Its not like Im unfamiliar with him. But I also dont think the new regime should be taking chances. Putting stipulations in his contract doesnt let you redo the pick if he starts getting suspended. Goodman isnt picking anymore so we cant assume we'll get the same kind of value in the mid and late rounds. He need to make solid/safe picks.

I would rather trade a third to Cleveland for Rogers than take Raji, if he's failed a drug test.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I like Raji as a 5 tech end in the Richard Seymour style, someone who can use penetration to get pressure on the QB but is big and strong enough to hold up against the run. As said before in a flex system he would be a real weapon as he can play the 1-tech or 3-tech DT as well.

What concerns me is that the rumors about him have not been refuted. The USC boys and Vontae Davies were quick to deny the rumors, but Raji hasn't. There is also talk that he has been nailed with Marijuna during his time at BC. That is a big concern.

As it stands right now I would take him at 18, but I would probably shy away at 12 if there are other options.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
If he's there at 12 you take him. Whoopi -****in- doo he tested positive for weed.
and Thomas was a smoker as well and that turned out pretty good I'd say
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
and Thomas was a smoker as well and that turned out pretty good I'd say

Im not sure if youre being critical of Thomas or what but Thomas didnt require a first round pick. If we would have missed on him, it wouldnt have hurt as much.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

i could care less if the guy smokes weed or not...

we'd be crazy to pass on him at #12...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: