The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
Black96WS6
Perennial Pro-bowler

Default Another Cutler article - but this one is from the Chicago Tribune

And the writer is apparently one of the few Bears fans who is not a fan of Jay! http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...4048493.column
Black96WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

And those wide receivers the Bears desperately need—where will they come from when there are no draft picks or money?

He hit that nail on the head.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
thumpc
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Richard Quinn

"It's why some of us were willing to put up with Terrell Owens. Putting up with Cutler doesn't sound fun or necessary."
Ouuch!
thumpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black96WS6 View Post
And the writer is apparently one of the few Bears fans who is not a fan of Jay! http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...4048493.column

Well written. Denver could use a writer of this caliber.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
bombay
Ring of Famer

Mr. Morrissey appears to be looking at this deal objectively.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Gonna be a lot of pressure on Jay this year.

I know a lot of people around here have hated this whole affair, but I still expect that next season we'll see a pretty good offensive effort from the Broncos. We have one of the better O-Lines in the league, a number of quality receivers and a very good offensive mind in McDaniels calling the plays. I expect a RB to be added in the draft within the first three rounds, and if we hit on that pick then the O should be just fine.

Orton put up pretty good numbers in a dreadful Chicago offense last year, with a vastly better supporting cast in Denver he should be well able to at least replicate his efforts of last year.

And if he does, the pressure on Cutler will be terrific to justify the massive haul of picks the Bears gave up to swap the two players. Can he put up huge numbers in Chicago with that O?

Be interesting to see how he copes with it.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

I liked the average rating, 1.92 stars out of 5. Guess Bears fans aren't too happy that he called out the new QB.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Well to be honest Cutler is the best QB to come in DECADES for them (physically of course). At least let them have a honey moon before squashing their glee with reality.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

I liked this part;

Quote:
Cutler said he loved everything about Denver, including the fans and his teammates. Yet he wanted out at the first hint of trouble. Why should anyone believe it will be different in Chicago?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I liked this part;
Think Javon Walker part deux.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #11
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I liked this part;
"Cutler said he loved everything about Denver, including the fans and his teammates. Yet he wanted out at the first hint of trouble. Why should anyone believe it will be different in Chicago?"

Odd... I thought Jay said the fans in Chicago were more passionate then the fans in Denver. Each time he speaks the more I am convinced of the where the problem is/was.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
Punisher
® Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got? ®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Quote:
in exchange for Cutler, a 2009 fifth-round pick and a six-pack of baby formula.
LMAO
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
"Cutler said he loved everything about Denver, including the fans and his teammates. Yet he wanted out at the first hint of trouble. Why should anyone believe it will be different in Chicago?"

Odd... I thought Jay said the fans in Chicago were more passionate then the fans in Denver. Each time he speaks the more I am convinced of the where the problem is/was.
They'll get REAL passionate when he throws his first pick.

I hope Jay can block, run, and catch, too. It's going to be a busy season in Chicago.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #14
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Is Jay Bi Polar
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

From all appearances and indications, he has the maturity level of larva.

LMAO... loved the quote
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #16
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
And those wide receivers the Bears desperately need—where will they come from when there are no draft picks or money?

We got our best wide receiver in the 4th round, didn't we?

When was that guy from New Orleans drafted again?

And how about Rod Smith?

Wide receivers are a dime a dozen, and more times than not the QB makes them what they are, not the other way around.

Stop trying to make yourselves feel better about this situation with nonsense, guys. No matter who's fault it was, the Broncos got hosed and we lost out on something that could have been great. The Bears already have three things that will now take us at least 2 years to get.

A great quarterback, a defense, and a very solid special teams.

McDaniels' system could work, that's not really up for debate. But it's going to be a while...
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #17
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

^^^ I respectfully disagree. It'll be sooner than you think and the Broncos will be at least .500 this coming season. Just my opinion.
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #18
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Didn't the bears get like, BLOWN OUT several times with their 'good defense'? Of course, if Jay's so great he might try making a defense look better by scoring enough points...OOPS...forgot about those last four games in Denver...

Massive logic Fail.
Cutler can't win with a bad defense
Cutler can win with a good offense
Cutler can't win with a bad offense
Cutler can win with a good defense

TRY AGAIN?
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #19
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Article was a different perspective than most Chicago media I'd say.

No one really knows how Jay is going to do next year. All signs point to him having a mediocre year though. The offensive talent just isnt there and while they could fill one or two needs, they arent capable of making the offense all world.

Here's what we do know: With all world talent around him, Jay still struggled in many games last year. He played well in many of them too but when it came down to crunch time, 2 TDs vs 4 picks in the last 3 games. Let's also be clear on that, 1 of those TDs came in garbage time in the last game when we were already done. So realistically, when the games still mattered, 1 TD, 4 picks in the last 3 games including a 0 TD 1 interceptionm performance at home against Buffalo, the weakest of the 3 final teams Denver faced.

Look, there were plenty of signs that Jay wasnt a great QB. People around here were enthralled with his arm and some of his albeit, amazing throws. So much so that they overlooked his numerous flaws. His football awareness isnt very high and has not improved over the course of his young career. He had all day to throw and still missed numerous wide open receivers instead opting to throw to covered guys , either single, double or triple covered.

He had a tendency to fold under pressure more often than not. People point to some of his comeback wins and he did have some, but NONE of them were when it was in crunch time with the playoffs on the line. He had a golden opportunity to begin to cement his legend with any of the last 3 games of the season and he failed, miserably.

Add in his offseason antics and what you have is a colossal waste of Denver's time and I personally could not be more happy.

I told you people when Taco wanted teh guy at the draft, that he wasnt the right guy for us Taco is ALWAYS wrong about draft picks. Buyer beware.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #20
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Chicago has a pick in every round but the 1st.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #21
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I was a big fan of Jay, but this whole affair has me confused about the goals of the Broncos in the short term. Trading away your franchise QB doesn't seem to me to be a great start to a play-off run. I like the Bears, and wish Cutler well, but I agree with the columnist that adding a big arm to 'meh' receivers leaves the Bears little better than they started out before the trade.

Let the Kyle Orton era begin. Has a ring to it, but I bet it's more an engagement and not a marriage.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #22
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Draft pick issue has already been covered, and Cutler only accounts for (i think) about 2 million, is that correct? Given the fact that they are missing that first rounder, that's just less money that they have to spend on an unproven player. I don't see what the big deal is.

Put it this way, i guarantee that the Bears find a pro bowl wide receiver before we find another pro bowl quaterback.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:03 AM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Neither of the last two SB winners made the Pro Bowl.

Jay Cutler had no business in the Pro Bowl over Rivers.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:24 AM   #24
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

But, but....Cutler is a franchise QB!

franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB franchise QB..................

Have to admit, I suppose he really is.

Thank God it ain't mine.

Last edited by Broncomutt; 04-05-2009 at 02:28 AM..
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:41 AM   #25
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle Orange View Post
Didn't the bears get like, BLOWN OUT several times with their 'good defense'? Of course, if Jay's so great he might try making a defense look better by scoring enough points...OOPS...forgot about those last four games in Denver...

Massive logic Fail.
Cutler can't win with a bad defense
Cutler can win with a good offense
Cutler can't win with a bad offense
Cutler can win with a good defense

TRY AGAIN?
That could be wasn't their QB Kyle Orton? Crazy fact though the most points the Bears allowed last year was 41 points in a game they won. The Bears finished last year 1 and 3 when they gave up equal to our season avg (31) points per game. How cool would it be to have a team only allow 30 or mor points 4 times out of 16 games.

Week 11 was when the Bears lost a game by more then 10 points. The first three losses was by a combined 8 points. Man that D better step it up if they EVER think they can keep a QB like Jay in the game.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 04-05-2009 at 04:48 AM..
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote