The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Default The Pressure of #7

Now that trade has been made and Denver will have new starting quarterback this season there is one linger larger question out there. Will either Simms or Orton be able to live up to or handle the pressure of the legend of #7? It has been ten years since his retirement and still Elway’s shadow lies over quarterback position as lens we the fan base view his play. Yesterday, Cutler at his press conference stated that Denver was/is Elway’s town and that it hard standard to live up to.

Look at what the legend has done to the quarterbacks that have been here

- Cutler blasted by the fan base because he stated he has stronger arm then Elway. If he had said then Favre it would have been non story.

- Plummer ridiculed because couldn’t lead the fourth quarter comebacks like Elway or win the games by himself.

- Brian Griese – not the team leader that Elway was.

Do you think McDaniels understand what it means to the be the QB of the Denver Broncos?
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Now that trade has been made and Denver will have new starting quarterback this season there is one linger larger question out there. Will either Simms or Orton be able to live up to or handle the pressure of the legend of #7? It has been ten years since his retirement and still Elway’s shadow lies over quarterback position as lens we the fan base view his play. Yesterday, Cutler at his press conference stated that Denver was/is Elway’s town and that it hard standard to live up to.

- Cutler blasted by the fan base because he stated he has stronger arm then Elway. If he had said then Favre it would have been non story.r
- Plummer ridiculed because couldn’t lead the fourth quarter comebacks like Elway or win the games by himself.

Do you think McDaniels understand what it means to the be the QB of the Denver Broncos?
Great players rise to the challenge regardless of who they follow - they don't readily acknowledge the ghosts of the past. Ask Steve Young. Ask Troy Aikman who came to work in Staubach's shadow, who is revered in Big D as much as Elway in Denver. Bert Jones did well in Baltimore following Unitas until he was hurt. It is you and I who make a big deal about these types of things. People lose perspective that a true franchise QB comes along only once in a generation if you are that lucky.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

The whole Cutler situation basically put an end to the "pressure of 7."

Orton/Simms will not get compared to Elway because they dont have anything close to the physical tools Elway had, whereas Cutler had the tools that were pretty damn close physically.

Nope, now its gonna be Orton vs. Cutler. Or Simms vs. Cutler. Or whoever the **** is playing quarterback for us vs. Cutler for as long as Cutler is a Bear.

I'll do it, you will do it, and anyone out there who paid any attention to this Soap Opera will do it, which will throw the 7 stuff out the window.

And I think it will be a fair deal. Orton with the "QB friendly system" and better weapons around him vs Cutler with not such good (except Forte) weapons, a "not so friendly QB system," BUT much better talent than Orton.

We all will do it, every single week of the season for several seasons until we all get bored with it. It will be unavoidable, and if Cutler kicks ass over there its gonna be hell for Orton unless he matches him. Just the way it is.

But the pressure of 7 is over.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I have a feeling we are not done stockpiling QBs.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I have a feeling we are not done stockpiling QBs.

Id prefer we wait a year before drafting anyone. Just hope they find the right guy.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Id prefer we wait a year before drafting anyone. Just hope they find the right guy.
Waiting a year might put Denver further behind in reaching the playoffs. At this point I would rather draft a QB this season, and let him learn the NFL. If Orton or Simms works out then it trade issue. If they don't then we have QB in the wings to take over.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
AlienBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:

Orton/Simms will not get compared to Elway because they dont have anything close to the physical tools Elway had, whereas Cutler had the tools that were pretty damn close physically.

Nope, now its gonna be Orton vs. Cutler. Or Simms vs. Cutler. Or whoever the **** is playing quarterback for us vs. Cutler for as long as Cutler is a Bear.

I'll do it, you will do it, and anyone out there who paid any attention to this Soap Opera will do it, which will throw the 7 stuff out the window.

And I think it will be a fair deal. Orton with the "QB friendly system" and better weapons around him vs Cutler with not such good (except Forte) weapons, a "not so friendly QB system," BUT much better talent than Orton.

We all will do it, every single week of the season for several seasons until we all get bored with it. It will be unavoidable, and if Cutler kicks ass over there its gonna be hell for Orton unless he matches him. Just the way it is.

yes, maybe replaced by Shanahans ghost! IMO as unforgiving as Elways.
AlienBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

while i agree to a point that the majority of the comparisons will be to Cutler from this point forward, the fact remains, this is still Elway's town and he will always be part of the discussion concerning Denver QBs
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:

Solid take....I agree.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

This is absolutely true. Going forward people will be more apt to compare Orton/Simms (or whoever) to Cutler since the fall out was such a significant event and also because Cutler was also uber talented. Orton/Simms will be compared with who we gave up that led to them playing QB.

The one thing that wont really change is sort of the small town, small mindedness where people criticize every flaw. They did it with Elway (remember the halloween candy story?), they did it with Cutler, and it seems likely it will happen with the next guy.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
They did it with Elway (remember the halloween candy story?)
I remember being at trick or treatin age when that happened. I also remember calling him a "cheap bastard" when I heard about it.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Quote:

They said that when Plummer took over, too. I think partly it's because of the playoff dearth of the last few years. Then Cutler was supposed to be a new era also. Shannon Sharpe even said Griese had the hardest time, directly following the deal. He said Jake had it easier because he followed "the guy who followed the guy."

As far as Cutler goes, his arm strength is reminiscent of John's, but I can say that about Jamarcus Russell, Michael Vick, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, Vince Young, and the Raven's qb. All I'm saying is that isn't particularly unique, nor is the ability to scramble.

Ultimately a qb wins with his head and instincts. Nor does Cutler have John's athleticsm, either. Running around doesn't mean you're athletic. Eyes in the back of his head? All people compare is arm strength and scrambling, like that's the only thing on the checklist.

Who cares about Chicago? Their offensive line doesn't compare to Denver's, nor does their receiving corps. Sweet running back, but that's Chicago. Cutler can no more just throw balls everywhere there than he could in denver and expect to win.

There is no other "Elway" and I wish people would let it go, but apparently they can't. So the search for the holy grail continues, and the franchise lumbers along. Anything and everything is still compared to John, no matter how out of context.

Another factor in all this is that the other players mentioned like Aikman share HOF status with other members of the franchise. With the Broncos having precious little to represent, it just makes the view more intense. Quarterback after quarterback in Broncoland say the same damn thing, the whole Elway deal. It won't break until someone someday comes along with the right combination of ability and brains to make it work. Provided a solid team is around. And ONLY then will the broncos be relevant again.

That's why 7 was so unique, people. If he were so easy to repeat the franchise wouldn't be going through this mess. But moving on means moving on.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post

- Cutler blasted by the fan base because he stated he has stronger arm then Elway. If he had said then Favre it would have been non story.

I don't think MCD even cares about what #7 did MCD was a little kid when john was the bigshot i really doubt that is even a subject and the only time it comes up is when the press brings it up. So no i don't think it will even be an issue with out QB staff.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
jayman_37
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
Great players rise to the challenge regardless of who they follow - they don't readily acknowledge the ghosts of the past. Ask Steve Young. Ask Troy Aikman who came to work in Staubach's shadow, who is revered in Big D as much as Elway in Denver. Bert Jones did well in Baltimore following Unitas until he was hurt. It is you and I who make a big deal about these types of things. People lose perspective that a true franchise QB comes along only once in a generation if you are that lucky.
Steve Young played well, but if you think he didn't feel all that pressure then you are crazy. He even talked about taking the monkey off of his back after they won the super bowl.
jayman_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #15
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle Orange View Post
They said that when Plummer took over, too. I think partly it's because of the playoff dearth of the last few years. Then Cutler was supposed to be a new era also. Shannon Sharpe even said Griese had the hardest time, directly following the deal. He said Jake had it easier because he followed "the guy who followed the guy."

As far as Cutler goes, his arm strength is reminiscent of John's, but I can say that about Jamarcus Russell, Michael Vick, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, Vince Young, and the Raven's qb. All I'm saying is that isn't particularly unique, nor is the ability to scramble.

Ultimately a qb wins with his head and instincts. Nor does Cutler have John's athleticsm, either. Running around doesn't mean you're athletic. Eyes in the back of his head? All people compare is arm strength and scrambling, like that's the only thing on the checklist.

Who cares about Chicago? Their offensive line doesn't compare to Denver's, nor does their receiving corps. Sweet running back, but that's Chicago. Cutler can no more just throw balls everywhere there than he could in denver and expect to win.

There is no other "Elway" and I wish people would let it go, but apparently they can't. So the search for the holy grail continues, and the franchise lumbers along. Anything and everything is still compared to John, no matter how out of context.

Another factor in all this is that the other players mentioned like Aikman share HOF status with other members of the franchise. With the Broncos having precious little to represent, it just makes the view more intense. Quarterback after quarterback in Broncoland say the same damn thing, the whole Elway deal. It won't break until someone someday comes along with the right combination of ability and brains to make it work. Provided a solid team is around. And ONLY then will the broncos be relevant again.

That's why 7 was so unique, people. If he were so easy to repeat the franchise wouldn't be going through this mess. But moving on means moving on.
Good post...agreed on your points.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #16
chiefforlife
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There is a new "pressure of 7" in the AFC West, his name is ....Matt Cassel!
chiefforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #17
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefforlife View Post
There is a new "pressure of 7" in the AFC West, his name is ....Matt Cassel!

ya you keep telling yourself that sunshine the reason matt was sucessful is sitting in denver.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
chiefforlife
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
ya you keep telling yourself that sunshine the reason matt was sucessful is sitting in denver.
Yeah, he has greatly improved your team already...

I am excited to have Cassel wear #7, it has great tradition and the Chiefs need a Legendary #7.

I am a Chief fan who has Nothing but respect and admiration for Mr. Elway.
chiefforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #19
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefforlife View Post
Yeah, he has greatly improved your team already...

I am excited to have Cassel wear #7, it has great tradition and the Chiefs need a Legendary #7.

I am a Chief fan who has Nothing but respect and admiration for Mr. Elway.

great now go home.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #20
Elway148
Greatest of All Time

John Elway 7

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Yeah. Neither of these guys are going to be expected to be the next John Elway. No one expects that level of play from them, so I don't think they'll be feeling that pressure.

I don't think the pressure of #7 is forever gone though. I think the next highly touted QB who comes to Denver will get it.

It's going to brought up as, "is this guy finally the answer to the QB problems the Broncos have had since Elway retired."
Elway148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #21
extralife
Ring of Famer

I maintain that this is the hardest city to play QB in, and it ain't even close. Nothing is going to satisfy people here out of that position. Elway himself wouldn't even be able to do it.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #22
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

Orton has virtually no pressure on him because of the circumstances in which he became a Bronco. All the pressure is on cutler and odds are he will cave into the pressure and fail. Unless he surprsies everybody, including himself, and mans up and starts playing smart football and being a leader. Not likely to happen but you never know. Anyways, there is no Elway pressure on simms or orton.
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #23
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:

The whole thing, with me anyway, is I want to feel confident when that QB comes on the field the way I did with Elway. I almost felt that way in the one season with Griese, but it was so short lived. I still did not feel it when Cutler came on the field. No, I'm one that does not believe we need a franchise QB anymore, there will never be another Elway, but I do want one that I'm not going to cringe when he walks on the field. For me it will always be, does he give me the confidence he'll get the job done, and that will always be compared to Elway.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #24
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
great now go home.
, I love bad tempered people.

I had no idea Cassell is wearing 7...it's the flavor of the league now. Did he admire the original 7, too?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #25
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway148 View Post
Yeah. Neither of these guys are going to be expected to be the next John Elway. No one expects that level of play from them, so I don't think they'll be feeling that pressure.

I don't think the pressure of #7 is forever gone though. I think the next highly touted QB who comes to Denver will get it.

It's going to brought up as, "is this guy finally the answer to the QB problems the Broncos have had since Elway retired."
You know, fate's a funny thing...the guy who succeeds in denver may ultimately be one that no one expects to succeed. That often happens.

Brett Favre was a backup in Atlanta with drinking and drug issues.
Steve Young struggled to nowhere with the Bucks. Just a 'running fool.'

How careers wind up is impossible to predict.