The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
UboBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Default Time for a few thoughts...From an older fan

Though many here on the Mane deem themselves above others, I would like to introduce a few thoughts. These are not for others to tear down, but to think about. I read the Mane to hopefully gain knowledge and up to date happenings on the team I grew up with and support. My wife, who is a Green Bay native and I, try to attend at least one Bronco game every year, either in Denver or away. I attend the Green Bay games with her when they do not interfere with the Broncos.

1) My dad returns my playbook to the receptionist? Okay, so I stated I never wanted to get to this point and be traded, BUT, I did not even have my playbook with me in Nashville? Maybe I set it by my cell phone with a dead battery.
My parents have made me responsible for all of my actions since I was a junior in high school. Maybe getting a house from my kid changes the morals of many, or they know Michelle Wie’s parents, and expect society to bow to them.

2) I do not wish to get into what the timeline was of what happened…. Meaning I do not wish to rehash the truth.

3) Twice stated in the press conference, I do not want to talk about what happened, the past is over… I am sure both the Broncos and I would do things different if they had another chance.

NO….

I am not on the side of management or Cutlers…. But after the news conferences today, the Bronco’s comments (McDaniel’s, and Bowlen’s, in written form) were quick, consistent, and forthright, and believable.

Cutler was flippant and evasive. I think we all now know the truth.

Just makes me wonder, with Bus Cook pulling another Brett Farve (I live 10 minutes from Green Bay, with my wife owning season tickets, and went through all of that B.S. to the n’th degree) if Jay was not led down a self promotional avenue.

If you do not believe me, look at how much attention Brett gets now, that he realized the New York media ripped him up, and he and Deanna could not handle it. They were so coddled here, you could not even imagine. To prove that, after the first weekend in New York, you never heard or saw Deanna attend even a news conference after that.

I thought Jay was finally our answer, I even bought his jersey last year, the first one I had bought since Elway and Gradishar, but yes, he did let me down, along with the rest of the fan base.

I do believe in the TEAM, and since many here will just take my post and rip it to shreds, because they cannot accept another’s opinion, I am sorry… But I had to just let my thoughts be known… This is from someone who has either been at, watched, or listened to…( YES, home games were not on television when I was growing up, even if sold out), EVERY GAME the Broncos have ever played. I even saw the original vertical striped socks.

So, let’s get together as a team again, and a solid fan base, and not let someone say we are not as committed and as strong of fans as the Bear fans are. I just lost my mother in law, and she used to play bridge with Vince Lombardi and his wife Marie, and she always said to me, you are either a fan of your team, or you are not, there is no gray area…..But be a fan of your team. She went back to when the Packers played at the East High School field in their early years. Reminded me of the early years at Bears stadium, which is the first games I was able to attend. I have many true stories about the Packers and Lombardi, the many of the younger generation would not even understand or comprehend on this forum.

Sorry to vent about everything… But just wanted an older guy to be able to express his thoughts...

Thanks for listening…. Go Broncos… We need a few more Super Bowl victories….

For this is a team game, and I believe that is what Bowlen is striving to get back, and will be our saving grace..
UboBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

Thank you for that wonderful post and i agree with you wholeheartedly.
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I agree with everything you said and no one should rip you for the truth or at least your opinion but I am afraid, at your age, you wont be able to read this praise before you kick the bucket, you old fart.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Awesome post... but you do know that Mc* is a liar right?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by UboBronco View Post
Though many here on the Mane deem themselves above others, I would like to introduce a few thoughts. These are not for others to tear down, but to think about. I read the Mane to hopefully gain knowledge and up to date happenings on the team I grew up with and support. My wife, who is a Green Bay native and I, try to attend at least one Bronco game every year, either in Denver or away. I attend the Green Bay games with her when they do not interfere with the Broncos.

1) My dad returns my playbook to the receptionist? Okay, so I stated I never wanted to get to this point and be traded, BUT, I did not even have my playbook with me in Nashville? Maybe I set it by my cell phone with a dead battery.
My parents have made me responsible for all of my actions since I was a junior in high school. Maybe getting a house from my kid changes the morals of many, or they know Michelle Wie’s parents, and expect society to bow to them.

2) I do not wish to get into what the timeline was of what happened…. Meaning I do not wish to rehash the truth.

3) Twice stated in the press conference, I do not want to talk about what happened, the past is over… I am sure both the Broncos and I would do things different if they had another chance.

NO….

I am not on the side of management or Cutlers…. But after the news conferences today, the Bronco’s comments (McDaniel’s, and Bowlen’s, in written form) were quick, consistent, and forthright, and believable.

Cutler was flippant and evasive. I think we all now know the truth.

Just makes me wonder, with Bus Cook pulling another Brett Farve (I live 10 minutes from Green Bay, with my wife owning season tickets, and went through all of that B.S. to the n’th degree) if Jay was not led down a self promotional avenue.

If you do not believe me, look at how much attention Brett gets now, that he realized the New York media ripped him up, and he and Deanna could not handle it. They were so coddled here, you could not even imagine. To prove that, after the first weekend in New York, you never heard or saw Deanna attend even a news conference after that.

I thought Jay was finally our answer, I even bought his jersey last year, the first one I had bought since Elway and Gradishar, but yes, he did let me down, along with the rest of the fan base.

I do believe in the TEAM, and since many here will just take my post and rip it to shreds, because they cannot accept another’s opinion, I am sorry… But I had to just let my thoughts be known… This is from someone who has either been at, watched, or listened to…( YES, home games were not on television when I was growing up, even if sold out), EVERY GAME the Broncos have ever played. I even saw the original vertical striped socks.

So, let’s get together as a team again, and a solid fan base, and not let someone say we are not as committed and as strong of fans as the Bear fans are. I just lost my mother in law, and she used to play bridge with Vince Lombardi and his wife Marie, and she always said to me, you are either a fan of your team, or you are not, there is no gray area…..But be a fan of your team. She went back to when the Packers played at the East High School field in their early years. Reminded me of the early years at Bears stadium, which is the first games I was able to attend. I have many true stories about the Packers and Lombardi, the many of the younger generation would not even understand or comprehend on this forum.

Sorry to vent about everything… But just wanted an older guy to be able to express his thoughts...

Thanks for listening…. Go Broncos… We need a few more Super Bowl victories….

For this is a team game, and I believe that is what Bowlen is striving to get back, and will be our saving grace..
People are probably making too much of this. He has only been a Bear for, what, one day, so he cant really effectively make a comparison. So basically, with that in mind, you know he is either saying it because he connects with them because he himself was a Bears fan or he is saying it because he has to live with Bears fans now...so what else is he going to say? Besides that, I live in Chicago and I know better. Denver has a better fanbase than what Chicago has and thats even with all the small minded kvetchers who like to criticize the players and ex-players.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Great post, Ubo. There are a lot of long-time fans here. I only go back 30 years, and I wasn't even lucky enough to live in Denver. I used to order copies of the post to read local coverage. (Before the internets.)

Most of the bickering you see around here is related to a division of team-fans and player-fans, in my opinion.

You sound like a great one. Keep the faith, brother.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
UboBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I agree with everything you said and no one should rip you for the truth or at least your opinion but I am afraid, at your age, you wont be able to read this praise before you kick the bucket, you old fart.
Not that old, only 55...... You win.....So as I stated, the people on this forum would make fun of my post, you not only displayed the irreverent attitude of the younger generation, you did not even realize that the Broncos as of this year are only 50 years into the game. I wish more people would think before they speak, but we have all come to know, that is not the case in todays me first society.

I have personnaly met, Floyd Little, Al Denson, Paul Smith, Randy Gradishar, Elway, Greek, Mark Jackson, Vance Johnson and several other players you would not even know.

Amazing how one behind a keyboard can assume they are so much greater and more powerfull than another.

Last edited by UboBronco; 04-03-2009 at 11:26 PM..
Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #8
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Great post.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #9
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Great insight, but I believe Go Broncos has an ! at the end of it.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
UboBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Awesome post... but you do know that Mc* is a liar right?
And did your parents tell you that there was a Santa Claus, or Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy? Did they lie to you?

If you are in business, do you really believe behind closed doors management has not discussed if you should be retained or let go...No matter how well you are doing? If you do not believe that, then I am sorry, because life is going to bite you in the butt before you realize what is going on.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by UboBronco View Post
Not that old, only 55...... You win.....So as I stated, the people on this forum would make fun of my post, you not only displayed the irreverent attitude of the younger generation, you did not even realize that the Broncos as of this year are only 50 years into the game. I wish more people would think before they speak, but we have all come to know, that is not the case in todays me first society.

I have personnaly met, Floyd Little, Al Denson, Paul Smith, Randy Gradishar, Elway, Greek, Mark Jackson, Vance Johnson and several other players you would not even know.

Amazing how one behind a keyboard can assume they are so much greater and more powerfull than another.
I know you dont post much but have been here long enough to know the nature of posters and the word sarcasm! Here is your subject heading.....

"Time for a few thoughts...From an older fan "

so I played along with it as you explained you have followed the team since the stripped socks. You also commented on a poster, Oskie,that stated that Mc was a liar and than put the smiley face next to it as to say , "I am pulling your leg to get a reaction" yet you still responded like he really thought that. You get an A on your original post and an F on your follow up. Know sarcasm before coming back to the Mane. This is where us amatuers put on our free night of comedy where you drink your own beer. Good grief! BTW: I am 38 and have followed the Broncos since 77 and know the Broncos have been around since 1959. All this with a witty personality too.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 04-03-2009 at 11:33 PM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #12
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

So then, you must remember Favre being traded to GB then, huh...
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #13
UboBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I know you dont post much but have been here long enough to know the nature of posters and the word sarcasm! Here is your subject heading.....

"Time for a few thoughts...From an older fan "

so I played along with it as you explained you have followed the team since the stripped socks. You also commented on a poster, Oskie,that stated that Mc was a liar and than put the smiley face next to it as to say , "I am pulling your leg to get a reaction" yet you still responded like he really thought that. You get an A on your original post and an F on your follow up. Know sarcasm before coming back to the Mane. This is where us amatuers put on our free night of comedy where you drink your own beer. Good grief! BTW: I am 38 and have followed the Broncos since 77 and know the Broncos have been around since 1959. All this with a witty personality too.
An F on my follow up? Interesting..... That you comment on another’s post and not your own.

Even if there is a smile, and sarcasm involved with a I am only stating my thoughts and feelings intended in the original post.

If this forum is for your comedy hour, please let us all know, because many on this site would like to find out pertinent information about our favorite sports team since we no longer live in, or ever resided in Denver.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #14
UboBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
So then, you must remember Favre being traded to GB then, huh...
Yes, and atlanta drafted Tony Smith, running back with the 17th choice, and he was in the league only 2 years, and never did a thing...
Old 04-04-2009, 12:10 AM   #15
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Well suppose we get the next Tony Smith in '10, or, that tall kid from OSU. Beanie...

Then we are left with probably a #20 or worse pick for Cutler in '10, PLUS a third for a fifth, right?

Oh, I forgot, speaking about 5th's, Mr. Jack Daniels or 6M$ Mr. Spleen at QB...

Yeah, we sure came out great on this offseason!

Last edited by watermock; 04-04-2009 at 12:17 AM..
Old 04-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #16
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Great post. I agree. In fact I'm starting to feel good about the team now.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:20 AM   #17
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Good post Ubo, and welcome to more posting, there are quite a few of us old farts around here. I was a water boy for the Houston Oilers from 64 through 67 and adopted the Broncos when they came to Houston and got creamed in 1964 and I liked their spirit and thought those butt ugly uniforms at the time were a riot .. From 67 on it was only Broncos for me 100%.

But its true, neither Broncocalijohn nor Oskie were criticizing you, but were simply repping you with a little added sarcasm thrown in for fun. The mane is a place for real die-hards and can get a little rough and raucous at times but also with a lot of rye and raw humor. Its often a big soap opera like the past month so just take it in and roll with it.

Most everyone here are good people and the real pricks are quite rare. Enjoy yourself and the best way to do so is not take things too seriously.

Last edited by Hulamau; 04-04-2009 at 12:24 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:24 AM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Good post from someone who obviously isn't a diaper wearing bedwetter like some of the fans around here lately.

It's time to forget about Cutler and get with the team concept. Broncos IMO always thought more of themselves since they won Superbowls then they really were. They would talk Superbowl every offseason then come out and not get it done. 9-7 became acceptable? 8-8 or maybe 11-5 once in awhile and getting bounced in playoffs like a rag doll?

It's time for the players on the team to pull together and I think they will. Who knows Orton can throw the ball a little and really had no protection in CHicago. One reason they went back and forth was the beating these guys took. Orton may find it easier to score 24 points a game in Denver then it was in Chicago.

If we can play better defense and better ST, Broncos may win 7-8 games this yr. Then IMO they could make a huge leap. 2 yrs of 4 first round picks, a couple good FA moves, and Broncos could be back.

Have faith my Bronco brothers, we were proud of our team before Jay Cutler, and know one should let that little punk change the way you feel about the team.

Take whatever time you need to get over it, but rememember there was football in Denver before there was Jay Cutler.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #19
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Must be pretty mellow in Hulaville now with the eonomy....
Old 04-04-2009, 12:29 AM   #20
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Take whatever time you need to get over it, but rememember there was football in Denver before there was Jay Cutler.
Norris Weise?
Old 04-04-2009, 12:29 AM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Great post. I agree. In fact I'm starting to feel good about the team now.
I'm still waiting to see what we add in the draft. It's exciting to think we will have up to 10 new rookies soon. I'm thinking they will look to add some size to the front seven, some special teams players maybe with those late round picks, who knows maybe even a QB.

I still think Sheff could get moved, but I'm sort of hoping he doesn't.

You know Orton may not be that bad if he get's some time to throw and a better running game then Cutler had. Chris Simms either really. With good WR and a good oline you can do alot as far as game planning for the passing game.

In Chicago he got sacked what almost 30 times? And man he didn't even play every game or throw 30 times like we did.

We need to square the defense away, I think Mcdaniels can gameplan up some points for an offense still loaded with weapons.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I'm ok with people being pissed though, I just hate the talk that it's all Mcdaniels fault, or Bowlen should not have hired him.

Mcdaniels is going to be a good football coach but he is raw. Much like the Broncos he needs to grow. I'm saying the team, Mcdaniels, will grow together and when it's all said and done the team is going to play hard for him.

If Broncos come out this yr not hitting, not hustling, not playing their hearts out no matter what then I will question the coach.

I'm pretty confident Mcdaniels will field a hungry competitive team.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #23
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Must be pretty mellow in Hulaville now with the eonomy....
Hey Mock, Howzit going buddy? I'm not in Hulaville at the moment but on the other side of the planet in Amsterdam where I've been living for the most part the past two years with my Dutch sweetie.

I was back in Honolulu for a month in February to catch up on business matters and see friends and took in the Pro Bowl and watched two practices with Marshall, Cutler, Payton Manning etc. Hawaii is always one of my favorite homes.

Hotel deals are there for sure and most places were far from full. The summer should be interesting but the state is so dependant on tourism its likely to get even tougher for a while.

Good to hear you are recovering well from that nightmare! Aloha nui, Hula
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #24
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the Broncos. Yeah it may be a rough year coming up, but the defense is in an overhaul. I'm curious and excited to see what this 'new-look' team will have after the draft.
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #25
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Nice to know someone here is older than me.

I've been a Bronco fan since 1969...not sure what that has to do with this place though since longevity here is pretty much worthless and not reallly respected by most on this board. In any case, my very first post in here occured immediately after the incredible joke Shanahan laid on us when he drafted Maurice Clarrett. I blasted the pick as idiotic and a foolish one based on his character alone. I was immediately told by almost everyone on here in cluding TJ that I wasn't a real fan...I was an utter moron and MoC would be the next big thing..we got a steal and Shanny was a genius...who knows more me or Shanahan...Bobby Turner would work his magic...etc...etc...you get the point.

Being a real fan has nothing to do with kissing ass on every move the team makes no matter how stupid. Sometimes its about saying the emperor has no clothes on.

You of all people should know that by now.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 04-04-2009 at 12:56 AM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote