The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default My Post-Cutler Mock

With a tough schedule in 2009 and the amount of turnover that's occurred this off-season, I think 2009 is going to be a rebuilding year. With that in mind, I'd prefer to stockpile picks, add as much talent as possible, then target specific players to fill the remaining holes next off-season.

My perfect draft:

Trade- #12, #114, and a 2010 pick to Philly for #21 and #28. Including a 2010 3rd rounder in the deal would bring this within around 100 points on the value chart and would give Philly a shot at a franchise LT. Denver gets a 3rd first rounder to rebuild.

Draft:
#18- Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU- Jackson could go anywhere from #13 to the end of round 1, but would look great in Orange and Blue. He's a ready-made 3-4 DE who could start from day 1 and be a building block for the new DL.

#21- Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinnatti- One of my favorite players in the draft, Barwin is raw, but could develop into a great OLB in the 3-4. #21 is somewhat of a reach for him, but I believe we need to grab him before NE does.

#28- Donald Brown, RB, UConn- The Broncos seem intent on adding a RB this year, and Brown's a good one. He's got decent size and speed, and can catch the ball out of the backfield. He'd help take the heat off of Orton as well.

#48- Sean Smith, DB, Utah- I'm surprised that Smith's stock isn't higher than this, but most reports have him in the mid-2nd. Smith could come in and serve as the big Nickle for a year or two while learning from an experienced unit, then take over as a starting Safety.

#79- Eric Wood, C, Louisville- A big, physical Center, Wood would complete what looks to be an excellent young OL. Wood, Kuper, Harris, Lichtenstieger, and Clady would be as good as any young OL in the game.

#84- Jasper Brinkley, ILB, USC- Brinkley's a huge ILB who's physical play compliments DJ and Davis. Another traditional 3-4 player, Brinkley was once considered a first round prospect, but is just now showing signs of being fully recovered from a serious knee injury.

#149- Austin Collie, WR, BYU- Collie's been discussed here before, but he's got good size, can run routes, and has good hands. He'd fit well as a #3 or #4 WR in McD's offense.

#185- Todd Boeckman, QB, OSU- Boeckman seems to fit the mold of previous NE QB's- good size, comes from a quality program, but is underexposed for various reasons. In this case, Boeckman had a solid Junior year, then was benched in favor of Pryor as a Senior. He showed strong leadership skills after being benched and seems to be a good teammate. He'd be a nice option to develop behind Orton and Simms.

#225- Gartrell Johnson, RB, CSU- My homer pick, Johnson's a versatile back who could play FB or HB for Denver. If nothing else, he's another hard-running back who can get the tough yards.

#235- Sam Swank, K, Wake- Once highly regarded, Swank struggled as a Senior. He's quality competition for Prater and also has a big leg.

This addresses the bulk of our needs and sets us up to target specific needs with our 2 1sts next year. Cody and Bradford would be my two choices, and have the potential to provide impact at two crucial positions.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i say trade 12 and a later round pick to Detroit for 20 and 33. if they take Stafford at 1, they will need a LT and 12 is a really good place to be if they want one of the last remaining top shelf LT in this draft

and with 18, 20 and 33. i say go after Wells at 18, Jackson at 20, and Barwin at 33
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattob14 View Post
With a tough schedule in 2009 and the amount of turnover that's occurred this off-season, I think 2009 is going to be a rebuilding year. With that in mind, I'd prefer to stockpile picks, add as much talent as possible, then target specific players to fill the remaining holes next off-season.

My perfect draft:

Trade- #12, #114, and a 2010 pick to Philly for #21 and #28. Including a 2010 3rd rounder in the deal would bring this within around 100 points on the value chart and would give Philly a shot at a franchise LT. Denver gets a 3rd first rounder to rebuild.

Draft:
#18- Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU- Jackson could go anywhere from #13 to the end of round 1, but would look great in Orange and Blue. He's a ready-made 3-4 DE who could start from day 1 and be a building block for the new DL.

#21- Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinnatti- One of my favorite players in the draft, Barwin is raw, but could develop into a great OLB in the 3-4. #21 is somewhat of a reach for him, but I believe we need to grab him before NE does.

#28- Donald Brown, RB, UConn- The Broncos seem intent on adding a RB this year, and Brown's a good one. He's got decent size and speed, and can catch the ball out of the backfield. He'd help take the heat off of Orton as well.

#48- Sean Smith, DB, Utah- I'm surprised that Smith's stock isn't higher than this, but most reports have him in the mid-2nd. Smith could come in and serve as the big Nickle for a year or two while learning from an experienced unit, then take over as a starting Safety.

#79- Eric Wood, C, Louisville- A big, physical Center, Wood would complete what looks to be an excellent young OL. Wood, Kuper, Harris, Lichtenstieger, and Clady would be as good as any young OL in the game.

#84- Jasper Brinkley, ILB, USC- Brinkley's a huge ILB who's physical play compliments DJ and Davis. Another traditional 3-4 player, Brinkley was once considered a first round prospect, but is just now showing signs of being fully recovered from a serious knee injury.

#149- Austin Collie, WR, BYU- Collie's been discussed here before, but he's got good size, can run routes, and has good hands. He'd fit well as a #3 or #4 WR in McD's offense.

#185- Todd Boeckman, QB, OSU- Boeckman seems to fit the mold of previous NE QB's- good size, comes from a quality program, but is underexposed for various reasons. In this case, Boeckman had a solid Junior year, then was benched in favor of Pryor as a Senior. He showed strong leadership skills after being benched and seems to be a good teammate. He'd be a nice option to develop behind Orton and Simms.

#225- Gartrell Johnson, RB, CSU- My homer pick, Johnson's a versatile back who could play FB or HB for Denver. If nothing else, he's another hard-running back who can get the tough yards.

#235- Sam Swank, K, Wake- Once highly regarded, Swank struggled as a Senior. He's quality competition for Prater and also has a big leg.

This addresses the bulk of our needs and sets us up to target specific needs with our 2 1sts next year. Cody and Bradford would be my two choices, and have the potential to provide impact at two crucial positions.

Thanks. Saved me the effort. Perfect.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

That is the most sensible suggestion thus far.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

A change. #235, Louie Sakoda, K, Utah
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Sean Smith is a dark horse for our #18 pick, he'll probably never make it past Pittsburgh at #32. Too much skill there.

Personally I think we'll be looking to trade back with Detroit and Philly at both of our #1's.

Philly will covet #12 for Andre Smith and Detroit will most likely want to move to #18 to move ahead of Philly for any OT that falls past #15.

Tyson Jackson, Everette Brown, Donald Brown, Michael Johnson, Sean Smith, Connor Barwin and Larry English are just a shortlist of whom i'm looking at in round 1.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

I really think Tyson will be the pick at #12.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i say trade 12 and a later round pick to Detroit for 20 and 33. if they take Stafford at 1, they will need a LT and 12 is a really good place to be if they want one of the last remaining top shelf LT in this draft

and with 18, 20 and 33. i say go after Wells at 18, Jackson at 20, and Barwin at 33
Detroit or Philly both work. The value's pretty equal and both will have a big need at OT. I'd be happy with Wells, Jackson and Barwin.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Sean Smith is a dark horse for our #18 pick, he'll probably never make it past Pittsburgh at #32. Too much skill there.
I agee with you, but every mock I see has him listed in the late-1st to mid-2nd range. #48 may well be a pipe dream for Smith, but he'd be a great fit in our secondary.

Quote:
Personally I think we'll be looking to trade back with Detroit and Philly at both of our #1's.

Philly will covet #12 for Andre Smith and Detroit will most likely want to move to #18 to move ahead of Philly for any OT that falls past #15.
Agreed 100%. I actually started a thread about this yesterday- I think #12 and #18 will both be hot spots for teams looking for an OT.

Quote:
Tyson Jackson, Everette Brown, Donald Brown, Michael Johnson, Sean Smith, Connor Barwin and Larry English are just a shortlist of whom i'm looking at in round 1.
Agreed again, English was a guy I really considered at #21 and Johsnson's one I would look at if Barwin and English were off the board.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

The best mock I've seen so far...would be unreal if it happened
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Todd Boeckman is a bit old to draft for the future. He's going to be 25 this year... 1 year younger than Jay. Odds are he wouldn't see the field till at least 27 or even 28.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
The best mock I've seen so far...would be unreal if it happened
Thanks Chaz!
Old 04-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Todd Boeckman is a bit old to draft for the future. He's going to be 25 this year... 1 year younger than Jay. Odds are he wouldn't see the field till at least 27 or even 28.
I think age is overrated. Collie's an older prospect too (he'll be 24 this year), but we can still get 6 or 8 good years out of these guys. A lot of QB's really don't turn the corner until they're close to 30 anyway.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: